ThaiLife

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very informative thread, thanks!

Question about loading movies onto USB sticks, perhaps it has been answered already.

I am guessing that a lower res compressed version of the regular DVD files are being put onto the USB drive?

What are your typical movie file sizes, I mean for a regular studio-type full length release?

Hey thanks, lots of food for thought here.

(I was in a store in the states today and the salesperson told me -- well never mind but he had no idea what the "DivX" logo and USB port were about -- he said it was to view photographs etc. and wouldn't work for movies. This was on a new Samsung model, didn't take down the number.)

I have a hearing problem and need subtitles to enjoy a movie. As many of you , I am sure, are aware the subtitles in Thai DVD's are a joke and make no sense at all.

To solve this problem started to download the movies on torrents and adding my own subtitles. Worked good until trying to load it to the DVD. Talked to our local computer guys and they recommended a system that sounded good. It is RyanHDBox that connects to your TV and plays the movies that are on your computer. My computer is several rooms away from my TV and no cabling in between, They set up a wireless system and it works great. You can add Hard drive to your box and store all the movies in the box, it also allows you to download directly to the box, you can access you tube news and other internet info directly from the box, which is downloaded via the internet wireless connection.

For me it is a great system as 90% of the movies I am able to find subtitles for and can add them quite easily. A word of advice in adding subtitles, be sure they are labeled identically with the movie. Even a extra space or a missing punctuation will cause it to not work automatically in the box.

The box is about the price of a DVD player, the Hard drive if you choose to add it comes in 1,000GB or 1,500GB, the small size was around 4,000 Baht don't recall the price on the larger HD.

Our Gear was purchased and set up for us by Invadeit in Hua Hin. Guys are really good and very reasonable priced. Nice to deal with as they are English speaking and knowledgeable about IT.

They also set up and got me started in downloading. Be a bit careful though it can be addictive, in the last two months have downloaded over 300 movies and almost as many TV series episodes. Very nice to have a library to pick out whatever you are in the mood for. I rarely watch True anymore and if it wasn't for the wifes programs I'd be tempted to cancel it.

I have a hearing problem and need subtitles to enjoy a movie. As many of you , I am sure, are aware the subtitles in Thai DVD's are a joke and make no sense at all.

To solve this problem started to download the movies on torrents and adding my own subtitles. Worked good until trying to load it to the DVD. Talked to our local computer guys and they recommended a system that sounded good. It is RyanHDBox that connects to your TV and plays the movies that are on your computer. My computer is several rooms away from my TV and no cabling in between, They set up a wireless system and it works great. You can add Hard drive to your box and store all the movies in the box, it also allows you to download directly to the box, you can access you tube news and other internet info directly from the box, which is downloaded via the internet wireless connection.

For me it is a great system as 90% of the movies I am able to find subtitles for and can add them quite easily. A word of advice in adding subtitles, be sure they are labeled identically with the movie. Even a extra space or a missing punctuation will cause it to not work automatically in the box.

The box is about the price of a DVD player, the Hard drive if you choose to add it comes in 1,000GB or 1,500GB, the small size was around 4,000 Baht don't recall the price on the larger HD.

Our Gear was purchased and set up for us by Invadeit in Hua Hin. Guys are really good and very reasonable priced. Nice to deal with as they are English speaking and knowledgeable about IT.

They also set up and got me started in downloading. Be a bit careful though it can be addictive, in the last two months have downloaded over 300 movies and almost as many TV series episodes. Very nice to have a library to pick out whatever you are in the mood for. I rarely watch True anymore and if it wasn't for the wifes programs I'd be tempted to cancel it.

Thanks for that , interesting stuff :D , here's a few things ive recently come across ...

Easy Home Networking Guide .... Link

How To Add Subtitles To A Movie Or TV Series ..... Link

List of Free subtitle editor Etc .... Link

AVIAddXSubs is a simple to use, free program to subtitle videos converting the original srt files ....... Link

User Support for ACRyan ..... Link

Playon!HD Discussion & Questions .... Link

TL :)

I am guessing that a lower res compressed version of the regular DVD files are being put onto the USB drive?

What are your typical movie file sizes, I mean for a regular studio-type full length release?

A regular DVD (2 hours) can be ripped to an AVI file, in Xvid format, resulting in a file of approx 750Mb.

Interesting development, I bought a Samsung Blu Ray player yesterday, Plugged a USB hard drive into it and it plays MKV, AVI etc... files flawlessly from the hard drive. Negates the need for a seperate unit like the WD and a seperate remote.

In fact the bluray player remote can operate my Samsung TV through the HDMI port, so only 1 sensible remote for the whole system.

I read somewhere on the web that the 2009 model samsung plasma and lcd screens with usb port would support mkv and of course avi as they do that already since 2008.So even no need to buy a blu ray player.

Interesting development, I bought a Samsung Blu Ray player yesterday, Plugged a USB hard drive into it and it plays MKV, AVI etc... files flawlessly from the hard drive. Negates the need for a seperate unit like the WD and a seperate remote.

In fact the bluray player remote can operate my Samsung TV through the HDMI port, so only 1 sensible remote for the whole system.

I read somewhere on the web that the 2009 model samsung plasma and lcd screens with usb port would support mkv and of course avi as they do that already since 2008.So even no need to buy a blu ray player.

Read the small print very carefully.

My 40" Samsung Series 6, purchased just 3 month ago ONLY handles MP3, NOT video. :)

Some brands do. I slipped up.

My 40" Samsung Series 6, purchased just 3 month ago ONLY handles MP3, NOT video. :)

Yes indeed but the higher end series support video as well and since the 2009 models also mkv files.

Bugger :D , Good point never assume

Quote ..

If you buy Kingston Flash memory in the near future you might just get a little more than a way to store your digital media. Paramount Digital Entertainment has teamed up with Kingston to offer full-length movies on Flash memory cards.

The feature films will be made available on Kingston's Flash memory products either as part of a bundle or specifically for sale as a digital movie. The company's Rick Webb said that the company is looking forward to working with Paramount Digital Entertainment, a division of Paramount Pictures Corp, "to bundle additional Paramount content on our full line of USB drives and Flash memory cards."

This format will no doubt be welcomed by users of devices such as netbooks, who might not have easy access to DVD or Blu-Ray optical drives or may not have enough disk space to make digital downloads a viable option.

It will be interesting to see if this particular method of supplying digitized movies will also prove of interest to fans of digitized media with PCs and laptops. A lot will depend on pricing, available titles, video format and video quality of course but at present details are scant.

Screenshot2009-12-31at101348PM.png

Article ...Link

TL :)

A regular DVD (2 hours) can be ripped to an AVI file, in Xvid format, resulting in a file of approx 750Mb.

Thank you Astral, just another simple question now, how is the quality of the video?

:)

Quote ..

If you buy Kingston Flash memory in the near future you might just get a little more than a way to store your digital media.

All very well, but how many players take CF cards??

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies if this has been answered already - (could not find it)

Is there any advantage to getting a media player like the Western Digital over getting a DVD player with a USB and HDMI output to play high definition?

I mostly want to watch computer files on the TV in surround sound and with a good picture.

Thanks,

John

• 3 weeks later...
I know many people will complain for the price, but this small box is useful to connect any memory (pendrive, hard disk, etc) and watch the content on your Full HD tv.

11-1-08-wd_hd_mediaplayer.jpg

It has 2 usb and a HDMI port and any kind of codecs (also MKV, AAC, H264), so I usually use it to see the 1080 or the 720 movies I download from the net.

Price in Thailand around 5000 baht.

More informations: http://www.bigitshop.com/online-shopping/W...dia-Player.html

I currently play MKVs straight off the computer using hdmi (with media player classic) and have been looking for a device like this for a while but need to know if it will play the subtitles I download for the missus (IDX/SUB files) (as long as the names are exactly the same mpc picks them up automatically although if other language subs are in the MKV I need to choose to Thai in the view menu,

Your help on this matter will be greatly appreciated, maybe I can save some electric

btw the link doesn't work for me :)

• 1 month later...
i just bought a samsung 6 series 1080p from thaimart for 24k baht. it plays .mkv directly from the usb ports.

Some do, but not all................. :)

My series 6 Samsung LED TV plays .avi files well, but not .mkv or .mp4.

I currently play MKVs straight off the computer using hdmi (with media player classic) and have been looking for a device like this for a while but need to know if it will play the subtitles I download for the missus (IDX/SUB files) (as long as the names are exactly the same mpc picks them up automatically although if other language subs are in the MKV I need to choose to Thai in the view menu,

Your help on this matter will be greatly appreciated, maybe I can save some electric

btw the link doesn't work for me :D

As long as the subtitle info is in the file, the WD HDTV box will allow your to select and display the language that you want. :)

• 3 months later...

I bought the WD LIVE media player a few weeks ago. Fantastic device. So far it has played every media type I can throw at it! Plus, it is network enabled...so I can reach out to my 2GB hard drive and play movies right off of it without having to copy to a thumb drive or some other portable hard drive. It can even show pics off the internet...

Really, really cool device. Jaidee turned me on to this and I am sure thankful!

I bought the WD LIVE media player a few weeks ago. Fantastic device. So far it has played every media type I can throw at it! Plus, it is network enabled...so I can reach out to my 2GB hard drive and play movies right off of it without having to copy to a thumb drive or some other portable hard drive. It can even show pics off the internet...

+1. Got one of these at Banana IT and love it. My hard drive is a lot bigger than 2GB however! Perhaps you meant 2TB?

I can see a network server in my future . . . .

+1. Got one of these at Banana IT and love it. My hard drive is a lot bigger than 2GB however! Perhaps you meant 2TB?

:jap: Sorry! I did mean 2TB...with a 1.5TB backup drive. :jap:

The 2TB drive was $199 back in the US...hard to beat the price.

I have noticed the WD device runs VERY hot. So I unplug it when not in use...

Edited by craigt3365

:jap: Sorry! I did mean 2TB...with a 1.5TB backup drive. :jap:

The 2TB drive was $199 back in the US...hard to beat the price.

I have noticed the WD device runs VERY hot. So I unplug it when not in use...

I don't know how long ago you bought the 2 Tb drive but currently they are 4500 baht for a WD.

And indeed the WD live runs very hot,i heard so hot that you can't hold you hand on it.I have had Egreat's and Ac ryan which both get warm but reasonable with the latter one running the coolest.