Why The Need For Giant Pick-up Trucks?

Neeranam

Why is there a recent need for giant pick-up trucks in Thailand. Is it only Thailand?I was sitting outside Tesco Khon Kaen yesterday waiting for the wife and averaged about 70% pick-ups! Fair enough, if you are buying a lot of groceries. Even on the main Mittraphap highway home there were hundreds. The new thing for some is those giant things where the driver is ten feet in the air with 4 wheel drive. I have a Mazda 626 and these guys make me feel as if they would drive right over me.

Who needs a 3.0 Litre engine? Most of these guys go speeding up to the traffic lights, overtaking on the way, what ever has happened to the Isarn , "mai dtong(no hurry) reep", or I should say "bo dtong(no hurry) fao" attitude?

Is it because these guys are not very tall themselves and it is a macho thing? :o

Come on be honest, how many guys are under 6 feet and own an oversized car?

Actually I have noticed that a lot of the guys in the really big ones are short.

These cars in my opinion are dangerous on the country roads, they speed which is a worry for me with a toddler running about.

In Bangkok, it is plain stupidity! An ego boosting thing.

Some guys I know say they live up-country so they have a giant pick-up - <deleted>, they only ever use good roads, in fact they usually go long distance and some even say to get the golf clubs in the back, yeah, you are coming to the golf course by yourself, stick them in the back seat. On Narrow roads too when you have two of these tank-like things passing it is a real hassle, no room for cyclists etc.

I live up country and a normal car is good enough for me.

Edited by Neeranam

There is room for many more ppl back on a pick-up, then there is inside a mazda 626.....

I guess that could be the answer, however the pickups one usually sees with the few families on the back are usually the older "normal" trucks, not these new super duper 4 door things. Have a look at the next pick-up you see full of people, bet it isn't a new one and definately not a high one looking like it was built to go through the jungle and up a mountain.

From a safety standpoint, a taller vehicle has much better vision of the road...

From a practical standpoint, pickups and SUV's offer many more use options...

From a price standpoint, a new Pickup is usually cheaper than the equivalent new car...

From a fun standpoint, pickups and SUV's can go pretty much anywhere, anytime, and are hella fun :o

There is room for many more ppl back on a pick-up, then there is inside a mazda 626.....

I guess that could be the answer, however the pickups one usually sees with the few families on the back are usually the older "normal" trucks, not these new super duper 4 door things. Have a look at the next pick-up you see full of people, bet it isn't a new one and definately not a high one looking like it was built to go through the jungle and up a mountain.

Easy answer.

The new ones are been baught of newly settled families, whom not have a big bunch family yet.

Therefore, these new "super duper trucks" will be older when the family is big enough to fill up the back of the pick-up.

BTW....aint it great to have a new, big car then? :o

Why is there a recent need for giant pick-up trucks in Thailand
as someone who has recently placed an order for one of these things i feel obliged to defend my actions.

we are taking over the world so please get used to us.

you have no choice.

if you really want to protect your children , then you should get one too , in a little mazda you would unfortunately stand little chance. in a larger vehicle you would be safer.

these vehicles are much more suited to thai roads and the thai lifestyle than sedans and hatchbacks , they are practical ,strong, easily fixed and economical to buy and run.

as they can carry up to 10 people , or 30 if you are from the north east , there is no need to use 3 or 4 cars , thereby reducing traffic congestion , its called social awareness.

3 litre engines enable cruising speeds to be maintained at low revs and that means they are working more efficiently with less stress on the moving parts and they use less fuel, and you can really blast away from traffic lights too. :o

I have a Mazda 626 and these guys make me feel as if they would drive right over me.

if we could see you down there then i'm sure we would try to avoid you :D

Is it because these guys are not very tall themselves and it is a macho thing? 

Actually I have noticed that a lot of the guys in the really big ones are short.

i am not far off six feet and dont feel that buying my pickup is a macho thing , however as i get older and flabbier i must admit to feeling the need for something more muscle bound than myself , more a reaction to losing my youth. :D

so please dont shun us or look down on us (difficult to do, i know :D )

our vehicles really do make sense.

see you in tesco's ! what colour did you say your mazda was ??

Easy answer.

The new ones are been baught of newly settled families, whom not have a big bunch family yet.

Therefore, these new "super duper trucks" will be older when the family is big enough to fill up the back of the pick-up.

I disagree. I think these things are toys for the rich, and people pretending to be.

People who can afford to buy these things usually come from families rich enough to own a car between say 4 people. Have you ever seen 10 chinese Thais in the back of their new super dooper pickup truck? :o

BTW....aint it great to have a new, big car then?

I have been just as happy with a second hand car as a new one. Size is something, luckily, I have never had to worry about. :D

From a safety standpoint, a taller vehicle has much better vision of the road...

From a price standpoint, a new Pickup is usually cheaper than the equivalent new car...

From a fun standpoint, pickups and SUV's can go pretty much anywhere, anytime, and are hella fun 

What do you drive Ajarn?

How tall are you? :o

i am not far off six feet and dont feel that buying my pickup is a macho thing , however as i get older and flabbier i must admit to feeling the need for something more muscle bound than myself , more a reaction to losing my youth.

Yes, unfortunately, my dream for a bigger penis by buying a big truck was not realised... :o

Your experience may differ :D

as someone who has recently placed an order for one of these things i feel obliged to defend my actions.

we are taking over the world so please get used to us.

you have no choice.

if you really want to protect your children , then you should get one too , in a little mazda you would unfortunately stand little chance. in a larger vehicle you would be safer.

these vehicles are much more suited to thai roads and the thai lifestyle than sedans and hatchbacks , they are practical ,strong, easily fixed and economical to buy and run.

as they can carry up to 10 people , or 30 if you are from the north east , there is no need to use 3 or 4 cars , thereby reducing traffic congestion , its called social awareness.

3 litre engines enable cruising speeds to be maintained at low revs and that means they are working more efficiently with less stress on the moving parts and they use less fuel, and you can really blast away from traffic lights too. 

Good defence. You have some valid points. Mmmm maybe I will get one next time round. Not comfortable in the back though. Back of the wagon I mean.

Reading between the lines, I spot a twinge of envy here. Why don't you treat yourself to one and then you will know. Go and see places you cannot even think about in a saloon. I wouldn't have anything else in Thailand, and at one pound sterling a gallon, who cares about the engine size. :o

From a fun standpoint, pickups and SUV's can go pretty much anywhere, anytime, and are hella fun 

What do you drive Ajarn?

How tall are you? :D

I have a 4-door Isuzu Pickup w/carryboy

I'm 6'3", though I may have shrunk a bit... :o

Seriously, I did buy it partly because of it's height (safety) advantage, but mostly because of the interior leg and head room these vehicles offer over most cars. Oh, and also because the Isuzu A/C blasts!

Higher wheel base, bigger wheels and stronger suspension system makes for more comfortable drive on bumpy Thai roads with potholes. Stronger construction, cheaper maintenance, can move practically anything, cheap to drive (my 3ltr TD goes about 10 km/ltr diesel @ about half the cost of Benzin). Special (low) tax status make it a no brainer. My top-of-the-range Isuzu was about 800,000. For that price I'd not even have got a Honda Civic.

Edited by madsere

3 litre engines enable cruising speeds to be maintained at low revs and that means they are working more efficiently with less stress on the moving parts and they use less fuel, and you can really blast away from traffic lights too. 

Diesel engines are designed to operate most efficiently at higher rpm's than gasoline engines. Drivers of diesel engines who drive at lower rpm's will experience a buildup of oil sludge in the injectors in fairly short order. This is the reason for the huge clouds of black smoke some of these guys put out...

Diesel engines are designed to operate most efficiently at higher rpm's than gasoline engines. Drivers of diesel engines who drive at lower rpm's will experience a buildup of oil sludge in the injectors in fairly short order. This is the reason for the huge clouds of black smoke some of these guys put out...

so be it ,higher revs it is then . :o

Yes, unfortunately, my dream for a bigger penis by buying a big truck was not realised...  :o

Your experience may differ  :D

I thought it was a substitute, not a guarantee??????????????

Well, it hasn't worked that way for me, in any case, but I might have gained bigger cajones :D

Edited by Ajarn
  • Like 1

I also have a 4 door 4 WD Isusu pick up with a carry boy on the back. (I'm short by the way) The pick-up's great it can do anything you want, sit 5 people in comfort( I've had 12 in including the back), carry just about anything and go just about any where, they are'nt patticulaly fast even with a 3 liter (it only knoks out about 120 bhp) and you will get better fuel economy from a small petrol car. Its turning circle is a joke which makes it a real pain in BKK

We have a normal pick up for use on the farm but I wanted something a bit more comfertable for myself that can be used as a spare on the farm if needs be, with the roof off I can get 50 bails of hay on the back of it and you cant fit milk urns in the back of a car!!. I get out and about a lot looking for cows and some of the roads are auful, I also feel a lot safer driving at night as you cant see the pot holes.

So to sum up they can do just about anything and are usually cheaper than a car, they also hold their resale price much better than a car.

• Like 1

No brainer, really..

Diesel fuel costs 15 baht for a liter.. Petrol costs 19.

Modern pick-up engine does 15-16 km per liter..

Pick-ups run forever, easy and cheap for maintenance

They keep their value like a house.

And finally: For the price of an absolute top-spec 4 door 4WD pick-up you may just be able negotiate yourself a bare-bones Corolla or Civic.. No thank you..

Oh yes, I recently drove the current model Honda CRV from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai. The rental company called this a free 'upgrade' from the (pick-up based) Toyota Sport Rider that turned out to be unavailable. What a joke that job is to drive. Drinks petrol (19 baht remember) like a fish, automatic box that switched all over the place except the right gear when going up those hairpins, refused to go in a low enough gear when needed when going down, and we were with 6 people in the thing... "Upgrade" 5555! To buy, this vehicle costs several 100K *MORE* than a Toyota pick-up based Sport Rider!!

:D Anyway, I end with a pic of my own. :o

isuzu.jpg

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

Why is there a recent need for giant pick-up trucks in Thailand. Is it only Thailand?I was sitting outside Tesco Khon Kaen yesterday waiting for the wife and averaged about 70% pick-ups! Fair enough, if you are buying a lot of groceries. Even on the main Mittraphap highway home there were hundreds. The new thing for some is those giant things where the driver is ten feet in the air with 4 wheel drive. I have a Mazda 626 and these guys make me feel as if they would drive right over me.

Who needs a 3.0 Litre engine? Most of these guys go speeding up to the traffic lights, overtaking on the way, what ever has happened to the Isarn , "mai dtong(no hurry) reep", or I should say "bo dtong(no hurry) fao" attitude?

Is it because these guys are not very tall themselves and it is a macho thing? :D

These cars in my opinion are dangerous on the country roads, they speed which is a worry for me with a toddler running about.

In Bangkok, it is plain stupidity! An ego boosting thing.

Some guys I know say they live up-country so they have a giant pick-up - <deleted>, they only ever use good roads, in fact they usually go long distance and some even say to get the golf clubs in the back, yeah, you are coming to the golf course by yourself, stick them in the back seat. On Narrow roads too when you have two of these tank-like things passing it is a real hassle, no room for cyclists etc.

I live up country and a normal car is good enough for me.

:D Woopy do we are happy for you. So everyone has to do what you do to get your approval then.

You a commy?? :o

• Haha 1

I agree with the cost effectiveness, reliability and durability of a pickup truck. They do offer you a greater range of vision due to their height. However, they're not as safe as many believe. Small body pickups (which is just about all of the ones in Thailand)...meaning smaller than an F-150 have very high death rates in accidents in the US. With a high center of gravity and not so long wheelbase they're prone to flipping much easier than a car.

However, driven responsibly they're fine and will run forever with proper maintenance. I like the better handling/more comfortable ride of a good car however I would be willing to give up some comfort and handling ability to take the much more economical pickup truck. For less than 600,000 baht, you can buy a brand new pickup with a cab that will serve most purposes. Not many new cars can be had for this price and with gas costing 19 or 20 baht/liter they're not cheap to run.

The old Toyota steel bathtub that we have sucks gas like there's no tomorrow but until we can afford a new vehicle, we'll just have to deplete the earth's last fossil fuel supplies :o

I have a Toyota Tiger 4WD pick up, it will go virtually anywhere, ( I hired a 2WD pick up once and was stuck in the mud in Isaan, the 4WD has no problems with anything.

I think the original poster is envious of the New pick ups cos he cannot afford one and his wife keeps nagging him for one.

So, if you are happy in a Mazda car, great, but I would not say that a car is the best form of Transport in Thailand, the Pick up is!

When the original poster is stuck in the mud and asks a guy with a 4WD to tow him out, he will appreciate them a little more.

Oh, and I paid 395,000 baht , second hand, had her a year and no problems at all, and I would still get the same money for her if I sold her tomorrow.

Mazda Car or a Pick up ? No contest. :o

• Like 1

I run a recent model Suzuki Caribean sporty with raised suspension and special shocks its amazing off road and great fun and is no bigger than a medium car.

However, I will be adding a new Isuzu 4 door cab big diesel engine pickup as soon as possible for long distance journies.Why not a car? because not cost effective, running costs, purchase price,space inside,space in the back,and with the roads full of potholes and raised repairs,car suspension and smaller tyre sizes cannot take it over the long term.I've seen a thai owned pickup loaded with a complete football team, managers,and subs total 19 and this for about 20kms!

I've taken 11 in my Suzuki and been told to buy something bigger next time.A car is not practical in most areas in Thailand,and is just too small for most Thai families.

I have a Toyota Tiger 4WD pick up, it will go virtually anywhere, ( I hired a 2WD pick up once and was stuck in the mud in Isaan, the 4WD has no problems with anything.
Yeah, great if you live on a farm with mud roads. Doesn't explain why people in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon kaen etc have them.
I think the original poster is envious of the New pick ups cos he cannot afford one and his wife keeps nagging him for one.

No in the slightest. I have rented newish pickups for moving stuff, but would prefer a saloon anyday. Don't you know pickups are cheaper! When I was contemplating getting a pickup(not the oversize ones) my wife actually nagged me to get a saloon saying only Khon Baan Nok had pick ups( nothing against farmers though). So in short, wrong :o

So, if you are happy in a Mazda car, great, but I would not say that a car is the best form of Transport in Thailand, the Pick up is!
Yes I am happy in my car, if you are in yours, fine! Do you live on a farm?
When the original poster is stuck in the mud and asks a guy with a 4WD to tow him out, he will appreciate them a little more.

You miss the whole point man. I don't go through mud, why would I need to? The roads in my part of the country are great.

Oh, and I paid 395,000 baht , second hand, had her a year and no problems at all, and I would still get the same money for her if I sold her tomorrow.
So you bought a 4 WD as an investment, fair enough.

You miss my point man!

Mazda Car or a Pick up ? No contest.

I disagree, unless you are a farmer or a forest ranger.

My point was really directed at Thai people. Many of them buy these monsters on credit, struggling to pay the monthly bill. It is for show, IMHO, unless they are farmers or their extended family travel with them on a regular basis as they can't afford a car themselves.

Many foreign expats buy them as they are under a false impression that all Thai roads are bad. Also, they can't afford a saloon, well new anyway. Some people I know are married to Thai women who would not let them buy a second hand car as they have an image to keep up being the "mia farang". I think you are possibly one of these.