Why The Need For Giant Pick-up Trucks?

Neeranam

I have a Toyota Tiger 4WD pick up, it will go virtually anywhere, ( I hired a 2WD pick up once and was stuck in the mud in Isaan, the 4WD has no problems with anything.

Yeah, great if you live on a farm with mud roads. Doesn't explain why people in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon kaen etc have them.

I think the original poster is envious of the New pick ups cos he cannot afford one and his wife keeps nagging him for one.
No in the slightest. I have rented newish pickups for moving stuff, but would prefer a saloon anyday. Don't you know pickups are cheaper! When I was contemplating getting a pickup(not the oversize ones) my wife actually nagged me to get a saloon saying only Khon Baan Nok had pick ups( nothing against farmers though). So in short, wrong :D
So, if you are happy in a Mazda car, great, but I would not say that a car is the best form of Transport in Thailand, the Pick up is!

Yes I am happy in my car, if you are in yours, fine! Do you live on a farm?

When the original poster is stuck in the mud and asks a guy with a 4WD to tow him out, he will appreciate them a little more.
You miss the whole point man. I don't go through mud, why would I need to? The roads in my part of the country are great.
Oh, and I paid 395,000 baht , second hand, had her a year and no problems at all, and I would still get the same money for her if I sold her tomorrow.

So you bought a 4 WD as an investment, fair enough.

You miss my point man!

Mazda Car or a Pick up ? No contest.
I disagree, unless you are a farmer or a forest ranger.

My point was really directed at Thai people. Many of them buy these monsters on credit, struggling to pay the monthly bill. It is for show, IMHO, unless they are farmers or their extended family travel with them on a regular basis as they can't afford a car themselves.

Yeah, see the same thing on the Freeways in California. These guys get these giant four-wheeled off road monsters that clog up what little room there is at rush hour. Seldom take them out to the desert and go "four-wheeling" - just cruise the freeway taking up space. :o

We bought a Ford Ranger 2.5 turbo diesel 4 door 4 wheel drive pick up 3 years ago while living in BKK.

The reason was that we would be living up country in a year or so and it would be ideal. (I wanted the Toyota but answered "yes dear" to the Ford).

Since then it has been used as a family car, pick up truck, dump all your rubbish truck, furniture truck, water carrier, Songkran "fighting vehicle" and has been the best car I have had for a long time.

It has been regularly serviced, 90,000 km and reasonably well looked after and has had only one minor accident, my fault at home, broken indicator light and minor damage only and did I pay for that one with the wife or what?

If I replace it it won't be with the new Toyota Vigo, not nice enough to look at, maybe another Ford or perhaps a Mitsubishi, don't really like the Isuzu but don't know why.

While we only live on a "little" farm the roads up here are not so good and the pick up copes well with them, it is nice to be in something a little bigger when in Bangkok where big wheels rule.

Big wheels means that if my car/pick up/ truck/bus is bigger than yours I am coming through.

:o:D

My two pennies worth.

I drive a Sport Rider - 3 rows of seats, 3 litre turbo diesel.

Just got back from Koh Chang - 4 people in the car (5 when my mate got lucky), all our bags, 2 bikes on the back, wakeboards on the roof.

Low fuel costs, low price (1.1 million brand new) & great visibility.

This car goes anywhere - which is useful if you like to get out of town at weekends, which means we end up off-road more often than we expected.

I originally wanted a Toyota Tiger - the sportrider is virtually the same vehicle.

I can't think of many reasons to go for a smaller, expensive, fuel guzzling regular sized car at all. Just driving around Bangkok with all of the holes in the road is a killer for a regular car.

As for these being playthings of the rich - that's a myth.

> When I was contemplating getting a pickup(not the oversize ones)

Well... I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding. Because ALL pick-ups on sale in Thailand pretty much have the same dimensions. The only thing that makes them *seem* bigger to you is that some are on bigger wheels/tyres and or have raised suspension and/or 4 wheel drive. This makes them higher, but they don't require even an inch extra space to park them.

There are no oversize pick-ups in Thailand. If you want to see what over-size can be (by European standards) go take a look at North American pick-ups. :-)) Even the tallest 4WD Vigo is still called a 'compact' pick-up in the states!! To be oversized, you'd be looking at a 6 wheel Dodge Ram. :o

( Come to think of it, that'd be pretty cool to drive in Thailand.... :D ) The fuel costs would be astronomical tho.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I was born and raised a GMC/Chevy truck guy. Isuzu is 20% owned by GMC I believe. The new Chevy Colorados in Thailand are interchangeable with Isuzu trucks. You also can't go wrong with a nice Toyota 4-by in my opnion.

But one thing I hate about these 4 door trucks in Thailand are the short boxes. Why even bother have a truck when you have such a short box? Seems a little bit impractical to me. Are normal or long boxes an option? And 3.0L doesn't cut it for me. But hey, if I had enough money I would pick me up one those Chevys or Isuzus tomorrow.

Or one of these babies:

03_GMCSierra2500HD_LG.jpg

Edited by igotworms

I was born and raised a GMC/Chevy truck guy.  Isuzu is 20% owned by GMC I believe.  The new Chevy Colorados in Thailand are interchangeable with Isuzu trucks.  You also can't go wrong with a nice Toyota 4-by in my opnion.

But one thing I hate about these 4 door trucks in Thailand are the short boxes.  Why even bother have a truck when you have such a short box?  Seems a little bit impractical to me.  Are normal or long boxes an option?  And 3.0L doesn't cut it for me.  But hey, if I had enough money I would pick me up one those Chevys or Isuzus tomorrow.

Or one of these babies:

03_GMCSierra2500HD_LG.jpg

A buddy of mine has one of those GMC's and he loves it. I bought a Toytota Tundra 5 years ago and it's been totally trouble-free so that's why I'm looking at them when I shift back to LOS.

Anyone know what the Tundra is called in Thailand? :o

....I was sitting outside Tesco Khon Kaen yesterday waiting for the wife and averaged about 70% pick-ups! Fair enough, if you are buying a lot of groceries.

:o:D:D Actually, they're very handy for throwing those 6 packs of kitchen paper rolls in the back. And slabs of beer Singha. In fact, anything that doesn't need to be kept cool goes in the back.

And of course, deck chairs, table, etc for the beach.

Is it because these guys are not very tall themselves and it is a macho thing? :D

Come on be honest, how many guys are under 6 feet and own an oversized car?

I'm 5' 11", but my Toyota is a normal size:

pickup33aq.jpg

And it's too small - always banging my head as I get in because they're made for 'normal' Thai sized people. The reason I got it was because I knew I'd be moving house in Phuket a few times and this truck can carry everything - 3 pieces suites, wardrobes, fridges.. everything!

.... On Narrow roads too when you have two of these tank-like things passing it is a real hassle, no room for cyclists etc.

Yes, passing on small sois is always a problem - even for my 'normal' size truck. Passing a water truck or garbage truck is also a problem. You just have to think ahead. :D
I live up country and a normal car is good enough for me.

Don't you have concrete or tarmac roads with a 9 inch drop to the dirt at the side? Whenever I go to a market, I have to carefully pick where I bump off the tarmac because the dirt is worn away at the sides. Next time I'll get a 4WD Isuzu!

I asked my wife " Why The Need For Giant Pick-up Trucks?" she replied "because they look smart" Thais don't you just love 'em!

So True, I live out of Bangkok. I drive a Nissan Frontier 3.0 ZDI Love it.

Why did I buy it.

1. It was cheap, very cheap. What you get for your money for a 2-door Pick up is amazing. For about 640,000 I got every possible accessory, CD/MP3, Tinting, The Big Wheels, Allot, the Carry-boy Side things, the Big things that go around the wheel arch, Leather Seats, free servicing etc etc. The nearest Passenger car was about double the cost.

2. It ran on Diesel. I get about 11km / litre of diesel. Even at upcountry prices it is less than 1.5 baht a km.

3. Living up-country you need to carry all sorts of things around, As an example, I bought a Chair-table-hut sets in Surin. You see them at roadside restaurants. Well I could wait a few days, or put it in the back of the pick-up. I then went up he road and bought a whole lot of wood and cement. Something you can't do in a regular car.

4. Carrying people, yes, it is dangerous, but you do carry 15 - 20 people in the pick-up. Now If I purchased a Neo or a Civic, that would be uncomfortable.

I think the wheelbase of a Frontier / Vigo / D-Max are about the same as a Mazda 626, It is just the accessories make them look bigger. I have also seen pick-ups modified the other way, and been lowered etc, they look very small.

Just my thoughts

Don't you have concrete or tarmac roads with a 9 inch drop to the dirt at the side? Whenever I go to a market, I have to carefully pick where I bump off the tarmac because the dirt is worn away at the sides. Next time I'll get a 4WD Isuzu!

Hey nice looking truck you have. you have a good reason to have one too. If I were in your situation, I would have one too.

Your size is not what I mean by giant. You get the guys that raise their trucks and add on heaps of stupid things.

Where I am there is a slight drop onto the dirt, not 9 inches though. Anyway, I never go on it. It is amazes me the way a heap of cars go way off the road when someone is turning right, to get by. I just wait behind them on the road.

I think perhaps the one thing about some of the giant trucks is the attitude of the drivers rather than the actual trucks. Their uneccessary speeding in urban areas too, just coz they have a big engine.

...Your size is not what I mean by giant. You get the guys that raise their trucks and add on heaps of stupid things.....

I know what you mean - there's one huge truck in Patong (maybe not any more :o ) that has enormous wheels and has been raised about 3 feet higher than normal, and yet on top is a normal sized body. It looks so silly!

...Your size is not what I mean by giant. You get the guys that raise their trucks and add on heaps of stupid things.....

I know what you mean - there's one huge truck in Patong (maybe not any more :o ) that has enormous wheels and has been raised about 3 feet higher than normal, and yet on top is a normal sized body. It looks so silly!

Is it blue?

If so the owners a friend. :D

I have a huge truck :D

I bought it as I need to "go everywhere". Cmon all you guys saying we have small dicks :o , lets see how far your little 4by 4 can go. any takers for a Phuket 4 by 4 day ?.... you will see why we have them.

I like the girly men driving CRV's, a speed hump is a hassle for those guys. :D

Just to have my ten cents worth I think there is a lot of machismo involved especially with Thais.

You only have to check out the tinted windows, the big bull bars, and the shade wearing drivers at night to confirm this!!

Have you seen my truck :o

I have mirrored glass, which is good when you road rage as much as I do. The Thais dont know who is inside... I have a bull bar on the front and back (solid steel), it makes me feel safe and also the idiots on the road do not tend to play chicken as much. Sitting very high on the road is also very safe as I can see over the top of most cars and can read the traffic a lot better. Anyway thats my excuse and Im sticking to it. :D

Unfortunately it seems the steering wheel on almost all of them is on the incorrect side.

Sadly, this is a vestage of having been colonized - in either a literal or symbolic sense - and should be thrown off as soon as freedom is achieved. :o

But to be serious, "westernization" corrupts all people it touches via the television. This tool is more powerful than waves of B-52's dropping full loads of ordnance. It creates the desire in people for materialism, and causes them to go into debt much deeper than they should. "Face" is really the same thing everywhere - aka the "ego" - its just the rules of violation that change.

:D

kenk3z

GUESTHOUSE SAID

Its simply a compensation thing for having a small d1ck.

A bit like the guys who need to have a gun in their life.

TORNADO REPLIED
Have you seen my truck 

I have mirrored glass, which is good when you road rage as much as I do. The Thais dont know who is inside... I have a bull bar on the front and back (solid steel), it makes me feel safe and also the idiots on the road do not tend to play chicken as much. Sitting very high on the road is also very safe as I can see over the top of most cars and can read the traffic a lot better. Anyway thats my excuse and Im sticking to it.

Guesthouse..... you might be right after all :o