Why The Need For Giant Pick-up Trucks?

Neeranam

I have a huge truck  :D

I bought it as I need to "go everywhere". Cmon all you guys saying we have small dicks  :D , lets see how far your little 4by 4 can go. any takers for a Phuket 4 by 4 day ?.... you will see why we have them.

I like the girly men driving CRV's, a speed hump is a hassle for those guys.  :o

- especially those 1 inch high strips of concrete in Tesco's car's park :D:D:D

If its the blue truck i know in Patong its also for advertising purposes.

Yep, that's the one. I've seen it parked a couple of times in Rat Uthit 200 Pi road - up past the Krung Thai bank, and just past the 7/11.

GUESTHOUSE SAID
Its simply a compensation thing for having a small d1ck.

A bit like the guys who need to have a gun in their life.

TORNADO REPLIED

Have you seen my truck 

I have mirrored glass, which is good when you road rage as much as I do. The Thais dont know who is inside... I have a bull bar on the front and back (solid steel), it makes me feel safe and also the idiots on the road do not tend to play chicken as much. Sitting very high on the road is also very safe as I can see over the top of most cars and can read the traffic a lot better. Anyway thats my excuse and Im sticking to it.

Guesthouse..... you might be right after all :o

He might be at that :D What do you drive BTW Tax ? :D

waiting for delivery next month of a hilux vigo 4x4 i'm afraid.

those things are the only way to go here.

had a rav 4 for 9 years but its not big enough to fit the jumbo toilet roll packs in so the only thing to do is go large with a vigo!

Edited by taxexile

The bastard is parked in a handicapped zone!

Just shows what a selfish control freak he is. He is handicapped with that monster, IMO.

Sounds like a BIG chip on someone's shoulder? :o:D

Actually the picture with the truck parket in the handicap zone was taken at a private party in a country club where everybody was limo'ed in. (and I think it took up some 3 normal parking slots).

Just to have my ten cents worth I think there is a lot of machismo involved especially with Thais.

You only have to check out the tinted windows, the big bull bars, and the shade wearing drivers at night to confirm this!!

Have you seen my truck :o

I have mirrored glass, which is good when you road rage as much as I do. The Thais dont know who is inside... I have a bull bar on the front and back (solid steel), it makes me feel safe and also the idiots on the road do not tend to play chicken as much. Sitting very high on the road is also very safe as I can see over the top of most cars and can read the traffic a lot better. Anyway thats my excuse and Im sticking to it. :D

What brand is it Tornado ? :D

Just to have my ten cents worth I think there is a lot of machismo involved especially with Thais.

You only have to check out the tinted windows, the big bull bars, and the shade wearing drivers at night to confirm this!!

I have mirrored glass, which is good when you road rage as much as I do. The Thais dont know who is inside... I have a bull bar on the front and back (solid steel), it makes me feel safe and also the idiots on the road do not tend to play chicken as much. Sitting very high on the road is also very safe as I can see over the top of most cars and can read the traffic a lot better. Anyway thats my excuse and Im sticking to it. :D

Don let him fool you - the Gent (Tornado) drives a Mini! :D

Edited by Boon Mee
  • Like 1

Mitsubishi Strada, 2.8 diesel. I actually bought it with all the extras on it, which included massive wheels/ high driving. It is definately an all terrain vehicle and being in the land business it is a crucial tool for my business. When I go looking for land, I find things the "mini mees" cannot, due to being able to get there in the first place.

petesear said, "I always thought people bought pick-ups because they are in a lower tax bracket. More for less... Makes sense to me".

That's what I thought Pete. If they can't afford a proper car, they buy a pick-up saying they need it for off the road or carrying their extended family. Having done this, there is the temptation to raise it higher than other ones and stick searchlights etc on it.

In saying this though, if I were buying a new car and only had 800,000 baht, I would go for one maybe rather than a honda civic or something. My experiences with a pick-up is that they are not good if carrying elderly people in the back. I had one once when my parents were here and they were not happy sitting in the back with a baby for 200km.

My main question on this thread was, however, why the need for the giant ones in a city when the guy is a bank-clerk. They belong in the forest and up the mountains.

This is directed at Thai guys, and I feel strongly that it is a macho thing, which is fair enough, no-one is perfect.

My main question on this thread was, however, why the need for the giant ones in a city when the guy is a bank-clerk

Then I'd answer that there might not be a need, and it's even more unlikely that a bank clerk in most any city has one of those 800,000 baht+++ trucks. :o

Keep on beating that dead buffalo if it helps :D

Edited by Ajarn

On the topic of putting a set of big high-beam searchlights on the roof I do actually agree with you.. Especially when they have like 4-5 pointing to the the front and >none< pointing to the back. :o That's a dead give-away that the vehicle has never done any off-roading, or at least not at night. Because you feel WAY silly with all that light in front when you have to back up a little on a winding mounting road in pitch black darkness, as is very often the case.

When I bought my truck it actually had the chromium raiser-bar on the roof to attach those lights too. I took it off, as it just increases drag (and fuel consumption) for absolutely NO benefit. Actually it degrades off-road performance because the vehicle may not be able to pass under tree-trunks and branches and stuff anymore as it's so high!

So I only have 2 bright spots pointing to the rear, which I admittedly put in the wrong place, namely under the roll-bar which causes them to light up the whole pick-up bed making it more difficult to see the (darker) stuff behind the car. The only place where those back-pointing lights should go is way on the back, but then not too low of course or they'll come right off in heavy terrain. I guess on the pick-up lid someway somehow would be good.

Cheers,

Chanchao

"Keep on beating that dead buffalo if it helps"

Actually, it helps immensely. The one I saw today just made me laugh, which is great progress. Maybe one day, I can look at one and feel nothing.

If you don't want to read this thread, as it sounds, don't.

I bet you would really like a benz!

Edited by Neeranam

Have you seen my truck :D

Mitsubishi Strada, 2.8 diesel. I actually bought it with all the extras on it, which included massive wheels/ high driving. It is definately an all terrain vehicle and being in the land business it is a crucial tool for my business. When I go looking for land, I find things the "mini mees" cannot, due to being able to get there in the first place.

:D Been looking to buy one since i've come to thailand :D. Since i'm back in europe now i still want to buy one just for tax reasons (they are tax deductable in my company as they are classed as delivery vehicle). It's called the mitsubishi L200 here. Don't know if i can get the Extra all over here, probably not allowed :o

Before i drove an Opel (vauxhall/holden) Frontera which was also a nice 4x4. Always impressed me it could do more then i thought.

For me it's not a penis statement.

But With a Big body like mine it's surely more stylisch to slide out of a big 4x4 then to climb out of that ferrari or porsche :D LOL

Now this is a big pickup

2887157_3_1_img-1953-53097-03.jpg

2887157_1_1_img-1953-53097-01.jpg

Unfortunatly you have to turn it off when pumping gass in to it :D, otherwise you can't get it full :D

It's a Dodge RAM 8300 RAM VIPER SRT-10- with 8.3 liter gasoline engine, 505 Hp, only 52.500 Euro...

"Keep on beating that dead buffalo if it helps"

Actually, it helps immensely. The one I saw today just made me laugh, which is great progress. Maybe one day, I can look at one and feel nothing.

If you don't want to read this thread, as it sounds, don't.

I bet you would really like a benz!

Personally, no. For the same reasons I earlier outlined above. But, I assure you, if I wanted a Benz, I'd buy one. Choices aren't always focused around money in my case :o

I've enjoyed reading and contributing to this thread. I do hope you conquer your personal problem with these big vehicles, and even bigger problems it seems with those who drive and enjoy them. :D

"

Personally, no. For the same reasons I earlier outlined above. But, I assure you, if I wanted a Benz, I'd buy one. Choices aren't always focused around money in my case

I've enjoyed reading and contributing to this thread. I do hope you conquer your personal problem with these big vehicles, and even bigger problems it seems with those who drive and enjoy them.

"

Really, you would rather have a pick-up than say a Benz? What about a Jaguar?

Most of us here think about money when buying a vehicle, don't we? maybe it is just me.

As I just said, I am making progress with my personal disliking of these vehicles.

I don't have a problem with the people who drive them. Up to them what they drive, I just laugh at some of them.

I am back here in Thailand now after an enforced trip back to the UK.

On the 21-01-2005 the new Toyota Vigo sport 3 litre will arrive in the showrooms priced at 1,200,00 baht about £16,000.

A proper motor, toys for boys.

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

I don't really care about global warming as its hot enough here already, could have done with some of that at Christmas in Manchester where it was below freezing. I am seriously thinking about getting one to go with my 4 wheel drive 4 door Mitsubishi Strada.

I think the answer to your problem is if you don't like these vehicles don't buy one

I on the otherhand do.

My family also think it's a good idea for me to buy one.

On the topic of putting a set of big high-beam searchlights on the roof ....

Thanks for all the tips! I've been meaning to put a couple of spotlights facing back on the top of my little Toyota Hilux Tiger. (Sometimes we go visit the g/f's aunt in Rawai and she lives down a windy dead-end dirt track with loads of trees and overhanging branches and nowhere to turn round. I'm bu99ered if I can get out backwards without hitting something! I keep saying that I won't drive down there at night again, but I always do. :o

Here's the question: how much do you think I should pay to get his done?

• Like 1

On the topic of putting a set of big high-beam searchlights on the roof ....

Thanks for all the tips! I've been meaning to put a couple of spotlights facing back on the top of my little Toyota Hilux Tiger. (Sometimes we go visit the g/f's aunt in Rawai and she lives down a windy dead-end dirt track with loads of trees and overhanging branches and nowhere to turn round. I'm bu99ered if I can get out backwards without hitting something! I keep saying that I won't drive down there at night again, but I always do. :o

Here's the question: how much do you think I should pay to get his done?

Every shop I've ever bought such spots from has installed them, too. No extra charge....

If you want more than the basic 55 watts or so, you can change the bulb inside with a 100+ watt bulb available seperately in the shops I've used..

I also remember reading here of a couple of people who reported being fined by hiway cops for having those high-mounted spots uncovered...

Edited by Ajarn

I have a "roll bar" as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike if it ever rolled but I have 4 spots facing front and two facing rearwards.

Sometime ago I was pulled by our wonderful policeforce at two in the afternoon after checking the driving license insurance etc. all in order he said the spotlights fitted with plastic covers by the way were illegal is that so I said (by this time time the smiling had stopped my better half said give him some money,I asked her what part of no did he not understand?

I said no problem lets go to police station and he could show me the bit in the book where it says they are illegal and I would pay the fine there.

He was not a happy chappy but it was a matter of time to see who would get fed up first, it was him and a chok dee and drive off.

It would make sense to me if they are illegal why sell them and fit them in the first place?

Found the truck for you, Gent.

Perfect for checking out all those hot land deals! :D

0018-0411-3006-2010_SM.jpg

while we are on the subject of transportation...

about April of last year tutsi was just about on the skids financially after being out of work for 18 months but still had to do the visa run. No money for a cush flight to S'pore so I says to the wife 'looks like a Cambodia job...'. She thought for a moment and said 'leave it to me'. Now, her family being poor farmers from Suphan Buri NOBODY HAD EVER BEEN TO CAMBODIA BEFORE. Hence this was an opportunity for a family outing. Hence a 13 seat van with driver, AC and all emenities was hired (a family friend) for 1500 baht and about 10 adults and kids piled in for the trip...the back seat was tutsi's domain.

On the road to Aranyapathet with a cooler full of drinks and a happy bunch of campers, squealing kids and all. Did the border crossing, had lunch and the crew did some shopping then on the road home. Encountered a deluge of biblical proportions near Rangsit but fared well. I says to meself 'not a bad boat we gots here'...

Hence my present query... how to acquire a used 13 seat van with low miles for low cost. You know what I mean, a Toyota 'Hiace', Nissan 'Urvan', etc... a big boat that you get stuck in traffic behind in BKK. The rear seats are removable for large cargo capacity and with a roof rack all one could ever need.

To personalize I would paint 'Tutsimobile' above the windscreen, install bullbars with a sign saying 'Look out or I will kill your family' and paint an intricate but commanding flames design coming out of the front wheel wells.

Any info?

• Like 1

Good Idea. I wouldn't mind a mini-van sometimes. They are really good for transporting people. Some say a pick-up is for that - well would you put your mother, father, aunts, uncles,brothers and sister, close friends from your country in the back of a pick-up while dressed up for your wedding. Alright for peasant Thais, but would you do it with your farang family?

I got a couple for 1500 Baht each a few years ago with a driver. Can't actually remember if I went in it or not. Yes, i must have. I have rented one a couple of times since and they are good to drive. better than a pick up in my opinion. My friend has one wit only two rows of seats facing, it is great for long distance rides, especially with kids.

Any idea of the price?

Would be great fun customizing it, no bars or flashlights though. :o

Maybe the myth that trucks and Urban Assault Vehicles are safer is based on a common sense assumption. Unfortunately it is wrong. Please do some research befor you tell me otherwise.

They are also a waste of fuel (money),

are used offroad about 1% of the time.

I do own several trucks which I only use as trucks, ie hauling. Otherwise they sit.

Good luck on the wiener situation. Lots of ads online to help.

kc

Good Idea. I wouldn't mind a mini-van sometimes. They are really good for transporting people. Some say a pick-up is for that - well would you put your mother, father, aunts, uncles,brothers and sister, close friends from your country in the back of a pick-up while dressed up for your wedding. Alright for peasant Thais, but would you do it with your farang family?

I got a couple for 1500 Baht each a few years ago with a driver. Can't actually remember if I went in it or not. Yes, i must have. I have rented one a couple of times since and they are good to drive. better than a pick up in my opinion. My friend has one wit only two rows of seats facing, it is great for long distance rides, especially with kids.

Any idea of the price?

Would be great fun customizing it, no bars or flashlights though. :o

The mini-vans of Thailand are great for head collisions. The only time I never call "shotgun" is when getting in a mini-van.