Burning Questions

SiamJai

Hi folks, I just moved to Chiang Mai. Even though many of my questions were answered simply by reading earlier pages on this forum, I still have a few left. I hope you can help out a greenhorn here. :o

I'd like to buy a ranad ek, but don't know any music shops around here. Any suggestions? Also looking for a flight case for my keyboard, because only prayers hold the original one together. :D

Then looking for rollerblade accessories, and perhaps street skating groups that I could join. I saw some rails set up at CMU, but no people at that time.

That's it for now; sorry for the many questions, but didn't want to make a separate topic for each one.

Thanks,

SiamJai

Lol, thank you Astral. I've been streetskating for the last fifteen years, six months of which happened on the streets of Bangkok. :o

Ranad ek is a percussion instrument; it is essential in many classical Thai ensembles. This is how it looks like:

RanadEk.jpg

Oh, and I just remembered this morning that it would also be nice to find out where drycleaning services are. Thank you.

Edited by SiamJai

Lol, thank you Astral. I've been streetskating for the last fifteen years, six months of which happened on the streets of Bangkok. :o

Ranad ek is a percussion instrument; it is essential in many classical Thai ensembles. This is how it looks like:

RanadEk.jpg

Oh, and I just remembered this morning that it would also be nice to find out where drycleaning services are. Thank you.

These people might have the ranad ek or know where you can get it?

http://www.indochinamusic.com/contact.htm

Hi folks, I just moved to Chiang Mai. Even though many of my questions were answered simply by reading earlier pages on this forum, I still have a few left. I hope you can help out a greenhorn here. :D

I'd like to buy a ranad ek, but don't know any music shops around here. Any suggestions? Also looking for a flight case for my keyboard, because only prayers hold the original one together. :D

Then looking for rollerblade accessories, and perhaps street skating groups that I could join.  I saw some rails set up at CMU, but no people at that time.

That's it for now; sorry for the many questions, but didn't want to make a separate topic for each one.

Thanks,

SiamJai

Wow, you can play Ranad Ek ? There are not many thai playing this intrument now. And if you are Farang....wow...!!!

Knowing only one Farang who used to play or is still playing now..I have no idea, coz I havent been living in Thailand for a long time, his name is Mr. Bruce ( sorry cant remember last name :o ) Bruce Gasby or Gaston....not sure. He is the only number one in this instrument.

Ask at Thai Classical School in Bkk, near National Theater, where you can buy Ranad Ek, I'm sure they shall give you the best informations.

how/where did you find a house/apt? Tips? I'm driving up to CM from Phuket very soon.

Actually, people from the University arranged the place for me, so I'm afraid I can't be much help there. It is one of those long-term contracts too, since I'll be a student here for at least two years.

But I have been here on short-term visits before. Then I stayed at the Royal Lanna hotel ; nice rooms, air-con, hot bath/shower, TV etc. for a 1000 Bt a night, and it is practically in the middle of the Night Bazaar. Oh, and there is also a mid-sized swimming pool there.

I have the Lonely Planet: Thailand at home, so if you tell me what kind of places you are looking for (ie. location, price range, length of stay, extras), I will look it up for you and post it here.

Have a nice trip. :D

Saothai, I played a very similar instrument in Europe since I was very young, so I have a little advantage here. :D Actually, I prefer to play the piano, but can't play neither instruments at the proficiency of โหมโรง Not even close, lol. :o

Hi folks, I just moved to Chiang Mai. Even though many of my questions were answered simply by reading earlier pages on this forum, I still have a few left. I hope you can help out a greenhorn here. :o

Then looking for rollerblade accessories, and perhaps street skating groups that I could join.  I saw some rails set up at CMU, but no people at that time.

Thanks,

SiamJai

Try ChiangMaiHouse.com

Siamjai,

Thanks. Royal Lanna would be great if I was going to stay in town. I'd actually like to stay out of town, anywhere upto 30 Km. on a weekly or 1 month rental basis (if possible) and use this location as a base from which to look for a more permanent house to rent -- again, an outside the city rental.

Since you've been to CM many times, perhaps you could make a few suggestions?

Please excuse my off-topic intrusion.

Much obliged.