Umbrella

bina

pouring rain here and lookin g for the word umbrella.... cant find it!

was told three different words: one issan and two other words.....

and for all the words my friend looked up in the thai section none said "umbrella" in the english definition.....

clue me in?

pouring rain here and looking for the word umbrella.... cant find it!

was told three different words: one issan and two other words.....

and for all the words my friend looked up in the Thai section none said "umbrella" in the English definition.....

clue me in?

Well spotted! He's put it in the Thai to English section, but not in the other two. Boon Mee's site is an excellent one for translating whole sentences from Thai to English. You can even get it to break up the string of Thai letters into individual words, and it shows the transliteration. Another good one - but sometimes off-line - is http://lexitron.nectec.off-linor.th/

And if you use the Firefox browser, you can get the "Knowledge Fractal" and "DictionarySearch" extensions, which allow you to right click on selected text and go to any dictionary, thesaurus, translation site you want. Marvellous!

Edited by RDN

recently installed the firefox ; why would anybody leave out the word umbrella of all things; unusual and wierd words i can understand, but such a common word.... ?

boon mee great site:

didnt know there were so many types of umbrellas... :o

lexitron indeed down at the moment but sounds good

recently installed the firefox ; why would anybody leave out the word umbrella of all things;  unusual and wierd words i can understand, but such a common word.... ?

boon mee great site:

didnt know there were so many types of umbrellas... :o

lexitron indeed down at the moment but sounds good

I now prefer the site Boon Mee referenced:

http://www.thai2english.com

Have you got the "Knowledge Fractal" and "DictionarySearch" extensions yet? They are great for easily searching for information/dictionaries/translations.

I can show you how to set them up if you want. :D

actually its going to rain for the next week; cold sloggy yucky

dont have the "Knowledge Fractal" and "DictionarySearch" extensions ; how where etc... and then show me please..... rain means no work except for feeding animals and a bit of clean up..... so can sit on computer more at home with heater on (it rains in my caravan office and no heat )

what is a 9 tiered umbrella????

actually its going to rain for the next week; cold sloggy yucky

dont have the "Knowledge Fractal" and "DictionarySearch" extensions ; how where etc... and then show me please..... rain means no work except for feeding animals and a bit of clean up..... so can sit on computer more at home with heater on  (it rains in my caravan office and no heat )

what is a 9 tiered umbrella????

Knowledge Fractal:

http://geocities.com/billpagar2k/software/index.htm

Dictionary Search:

http://dictionarysearch.mozdev.org/

Everything you need to know but were afraid to ask :D :

http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/

what is a 9 tiered umbrella???

HAFC (haven't a .. clue)

And depending on how exactly you say "lom", you could be talking about a wind, mud, to sink or overturn something, to kill or possibly an umbrella. Best of luck! :o:D:D

tiered umbrellas are parasols; His Majesty the King uses a white 9 tiered one; etc....

couldnt paste and stick the pics....

The Khome Chai lantern (the lantern of victory) with its nine-tiered umbrella is symbolic of the king. Its bamboo frame is covered with white fabric decorated with stained glass or coloured mirrors. The Khome Chai lantern is fixed to a wooden lantern pole with swan-shaped hooks adorned with dainty bells. In contrast, the Khome Pratiab lantern of the royal concubine features a seven-tiered umbrella, while the tubular-shaped bamboo Khome Boriwarn lantern of the royal entourage and attendants has a three-tiered umbrella.

read the links to those programs , will try to deal with it all tomorrow; brain too tired now, not sure if i understood all the computer gobledigook ....

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-01-04 14:19:08)

I like the saying "dot rom" meaning skive school.

โดดร่ม

Similar to the English, skip school กระโดดเชื่อก eccept the Thais are parachuting if it'sกระโดดร่ม

bannork

I have never heard that one being used by kids, bannork.

Only "dot rom".

Maybe it is a more formal one?

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-01-04 14:19:08)

I like the saying "dot rom" meaning skive school.

โดดร่ม

Similar to the English, skip school กระโดดเชื่อก eccept the Thais are parachuting if it'sกระโดดร่ม

bannork

I have never heard that one being used by kids, bannork.

Only "dot rom".

Maybe it is a more formal one?

I mean the words are similar,โดด andกระโดด, the sense of jumping, used in both languages to avoid school, after all what has 'jump' got to do with it?

bannork.