Tacos And Salsa Restaurant Review

Jimmyd

I had to go to Bangkok this weekend. As much as I love Bangkok's vibrance--the four years I spent their left me allergic to the traffic. But, having heard that there was a real Mexican restaurant in Bangkok, when I was forced to go to meet a client, I of course visited Tacos and Salsa.

Ambiance is not terribly important to me, so my description of decor and such will suck. The restaurant is about 4 tables outside in the walkway on one side of an Indian restaurant:

post-10689-1233495023_thumb.jpg

here's what it looks like when you walk down Sukhumvit Soi 18:

post-10689-1233495138_thumb.jpg

We ordered Enchiladas and Taquitos along with guacamole and chips--pork enchiladas, and for the tacquitos, two beef, one pork and one chicken (you receive four). We went for lunch and got the lunch specials for both main orders. The first to arrive was the guacamole:

post-10689-1233494849_thumb.jpg

and chips:

post-10689-1233494890_thumb.jpg

The guacamole was excellente and the chips were great, too. Next to arrive were the salsas. Yellow-Green:

post-10689-1233495248_thumb.jpg:

orange:

post-10689-1233495312_thumb.jpg

and red, salsa cruda:

post-10689-1233495369_thumb.jpg

The chips were delicious with the salsa and guacamole:

post-10689-1233495604_thumb.jpg

The enchiladas were ok, they look better than they tasted:

post-10689-1233495685_thumb.jpg

The refried beans were one of the highlights of the meal--a wonderful smoky flavor permeated them. They were simply the best refried beans I've ever had in Thailand (I can say that about the guacamole too--except for the one I make at home). The Mexican rice was good, but nothing to knock your socks off.

Next up were the tacos:

post-10689-1233495824_thumb.jpg

If you ate these tacos as you see them above, you would find them bland and boring. But combined with the salsa and guacamole, you're in for some very tasty Mexican fare:

post-10689-1233495925_thumb.jpg

All together the meal was 400 baht. I thought it would be more as the guacamole and chips was supposed to be 90 baht, but the waiter told me it was part of the lunch deal (I wonder if that's true or not). Here's the whole meal we got (including the two diet cokes) for 400 baht (the two of us left stuffed):

post-10689-1233496091_thumb.jpg

My conclusion: This restaurant has very good, relatively authentic Mexican food.

It has, however, two problems in my opinion. One, I didn't feel the people who were preparing the food really understood the food. When we went back in the evening to resample the food, the waiter actually looked surprised anyone would eat their twice in a day. It felt like someone who knows food showed someone else how to cook and then left them to do it themselves. The problems with that is, if you don't know what things are supposed to taste like, you can't really cook well--any good chef tastes their food and knows how it should taste. I have a feeling if I had been able to go back tonight (Sunday night), I would have had a very different experience on their special Taquito night with the owner their making sure everything was up to standard.

The second thing is something I saw mentioned before: that the meats are simply parboiled or steamed. In all my travels in Mexico, I've never had a taco where the meat was so blandly treated. I'll admit that I probably avoided such places because they didn't look good to me, but the fact remains, if the meat was al pastor or carne asada, the tacos and taquitos would make a vast jump in quality in my opinion. Oh, by the way, when we asked for shrimp and fish fillings, we were told they didn't have them (even though they were on the menu).

To sum it all up, if I lived in Bangkok I would make a monthly visit to Tacos and Salsa, but I will not make a special trip to Bangkok just to eat there. To end the review, a picture of the small kitchen full of fresh ingredients and finally, my favorite picture of the food:

post-10689-1233497860_thumb.jpg

post-10689-1233497898_thumb.jpg

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I had dinner there tonight & I have to say things have vastly improved (even though Jorge wasn't there).

There were some Mexican people eating & I spoke to one of them about al Pastour (sp). Even though it's on the menu Jorge hasn't sourced of of those Shuwarma cookers yet. The waiter had no idea what I was talking about - even after I showed him on the menu.

Agree about the beans & guac. Really good.

I ordered enchaladas the first time & wasn't very happy. Had tacitos tonight & loved em.

the first time i went there i went with 5 people in my group, quite a large order with drinks...the meat which was beef and chicken was tasteless and dissapointingly bland and chewy resembling boiled meat with absolutely no seasoning or marinade...the owner was there and talked to us when the bill came.

because of this its hard for us to go back again after the amount of money we had spent...and the declaration of a 'real' mexican making mexican food.

but maybe i will go back and give them another try since the beans, tostadas(too spicy) and salsa were good...but if the meat is still the same...no more.

i encourage any mexican place in thailand (that isnt sunrise), just dont train your cooks at you customers expense...train them on your own time, money and tongue.

I have ate at Tacos and Salsa many times over the last month ever since the mexican food poll came out. Every time the food is excellent and very authentic Mexican. I feel as though I'm sitting on the Zona Rosa in Mexico City enjoying the real thing. That sums it up; I will continue to eat there at least once a week ...

I have ate at Tacos and Salsa many times over the last month ever since the mexican food poll came out. Every time the food is excellent and very authentic Mexican. I feel as though I'm sitting on the Zona Rosa in Mexico City enjoying the real thing. That sums it up; I will continue to eat there at least once a week ...

First........I have not tried T&S yet........from looking at the pictures, no desire to try the food there.

Second, thanks for the pics..........it does not look like Mexican food to me.

Third, I recently ate at another "Mexican food place" across from The Pizza Company by Khao San Road (already forgot the name) and it was beyond terrible........nothing Mexican or Tex-Mex about it except the pictures of peppers/chiles on the wall.

Fourth, as bad as it was, it still was better than the most popular place now.........you can guess which place.

I think it is time to open a real Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurant in Thailand.

Jimmy,

thanks for taking the time and trouble to provide your review and the pictures. Based on your review I will definitely visit Soi 18 for a taste in the near future. It's a pity more TV members don't provide comprehensive reports such as yours. I for one appreciate your effort.

...it does not look like Mexican food to me....I think it is time to open a real Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurant in Thailand.

I have eaten similar tacos in Mexico quite a few times, so I can assure you that the food is fairly authentic (as I said in my review).

First........I have not tried T&S yet........from looking at the pictures, no desire to try the food there.

Third, I recently ate at another "Mexican food place" across from The Pizza Company by Khao San Road (already forgot the name) and it was beyond terrible........nothing Mexican or Tex-Mex about it except the pictures of peppers/chiles on the wall.

Fourth, as bad as it was, it still was better than the most popular place now.........you can guess which place.

From your comments you haven't actually been to the Zona Rosa in Mexico City where the real mexican food is...The place you mentioned is called Mexican Tartar's a copy of Sunrise.... Personally I don't care for Tex/Mex........

When I think about it reminds me of the old reese's peanut butter cup commercials where the 2 people collide with the peanut butter and the chocolate..."you put your chocolate in my peanut butter".."no you put your peanut butter on my chocolate"....so its like the cowboys in Texas ran into the Aztec's from Mexico and the chilli ended up in a taco.....

Edited by excaliguy

I have eaten at T&S twice. Not very impressed the first time and less so the second time.

Had the "special lunch". When I queried the waiter about exactly what I was to get, it turns out the burritos were smaller than normal, there were less enchilladas than in a normal menu order, etc. When I wanted to order a salad, was told only the veg salad included on the special. No fruit avail on special lunch only the flan available. I began to see why it was called "special".

I had the enchiladas and found them very dry. My companion had a burrito which she thought was considerably smaller than Sunrise or Charley Browns (must have been a special size). Her refried beans looked more like a soup (very runny) but tasted good. My beans were not runny and tasted good. Not sure why both beans were not consistent. Nothing special about the Mexican rice.

Tried to get some black pepper for my salad and told by the Thai waiter that black pepper was "not real Mexican" so not available. I never heard that in my Mexican travels. We did get the Thai white pepper.

I found the smaller portions on the sets misleading because there was no mention of that on the menu. Service was very slow even though we were the only ones in the rest. at 2PM. Much of my time there was spent flicking away the flies. Definitly need some kind of pest control for the flies since the rest. is outside. My wife liked the orange salsa and I liked the veg. salsa.

My choice for burritos (in order) would be 1. Sunrise 2. C. Browns and 3 T&S

My preference for enchiladas would be 1. C. Browns 2. T&S 3. Sunrise

Perhaps you could supply photos that show more authentic Mexican food?

I lived in Mexico for the better part of a decade, and while there managed to travel to all 26 states. Drawing from that experience I would say Tacos & Salsa is the most authentic Mexican food I've tasted so far in Thailand, and more authentic than perhaps 80% of Mexican places I've tried in the USA. Jorge's regular Mexican and Latin American customers seem to agree.

I too pass along my thanks to JimmyD for the comprehensive and photo-illustrated review. It's those kinds of details that really help people decide whether a restaurant is someplace they want to try or not -- far more than simply tossing out "it sucked" or "it was a great place." Likewise, I always try to take the same approach with my own reviews of local restaurants, so stay tuned....

As one of our resident Mexican food fanatics, it's definitely at the top of my list to sample. I must sheepishly admit I'm behind the curve on this one, mainly because it's tough sometimes to get one's Thai female companions to willingly go along with Mexican food (since in general, they have absolutely no idea what Mexican food is).

Remember too, from a separate thread, that the owner of T&S supposedly was offering some kind of discount for Thai Visa members, though I'm not clear on the details and there was some kind of advance notice required. Maybe someone who's actually used the TV discount there can chime in here on if it's still running and how/when TV folks can access that.

I lived in Mexico for the better part of a decade, and while there managed to travel to all 26 states. Drawing from that experience I would say Tacos & Salsa is the most authentic Mexican food I've tasted so far in Thailand, and more authentic than perhaps 80% of Mexican places I've tried in the USA. Jorge's regular Mexican and Latin American customers seem to agree.

Yes.........you have lived in Mexico. Many of us have been all over Latin America........I have. And I lived in Texas for decades.

I would have to say that the food in Mexico is a bit different (sometimes very different) than the food we know as "Mexican food" in the USA. I am sure you are aware of that. I think most of us are looking for the good Mexican food we grew up on back in the USA.......not what we had on a road trip to Mexico.

I want some good Tex-Mex or even California-Mex. I have not found that in Thailand. I think it is because the fresh ingredients that cooks need are not here.......at least not all of them...........and consistently available. That can change and is changing.

Another problem might be related to the Thai labor laws that seem to force entrepreneurs to hire Thais to make food they have no idea about........Mexican food is a case in point. Most Thais have no clue what it is supposed to taste like.

I continue to maintain that the first person to open a really good Mexican restaurant or chain in Thailand will make a lot of money. I also maintain that Taco Bell is better than anything out there now (maybe Miguel's in Chiang Mai is an exception but have not eaten there).

I feel like most of us are starved for good Mexican food.......really crave it........and will accept virtually anything that is close to it. I prefer to insist on the real thing. Why not raise the bar on what they are presenting to us?

Good luck with your collective Mexican food dream............the one that loves what is here now.

Clearly JR Texas is using a different definition of what real Mexican food is. He is from Texas so what they call "Mexican" food or "Tex-Mex" in Texas, is what he naturally thinks it should be. Can't fault him for that. Although I am not originally from Texas I have spent many years working there in various locations and agree that when done right it can be absolutely delicious. I have also spent a few years in California where the "Mexican" food is somewhat different but not nearly so much as some on this forum would argue. Fajitas were invented in Texas but are widely available in California too. I had always felt that what really made Tex-Mex different from California style "Mexican" food was that Tex-Mex usually served enchiladas in a spicy red chili sauce and in California they didn't. Plus Californians would put sour cream on some items that you would seldom find in Texas or Mexico. The "Mexican" food in California can also be very good, it's just not the same thing as what you will find in San Antonio or Brownsville. To agrue that one is better than the other is pointless.

Here is a photo of the inside of an old ZZ Top album that depicts typical "Tex-Mex" style food.

post-23727-1233983602_thumb.jpg

Sabaijai is correct that the food from Mexico is not the same as either Tex-Mex or California style "Mexican" food and it differs from region to region within the country itself. To find the most authentic Mexican food in the US you need not go to any border state where the local Mexican-American community has created their own newer cuisines unique to their particular areas but rather head up North even further (don't shoot me JR) to where all the newest Mexican immigrants now live. There are around 7 million of them according to government estimates and most don't live in border states. Their food is more representative of what they were eating at home in Mexico before they recently came to the US. The food at Tacos and Salsa is real Mexican food as found around Mexico City. I really like it and am very grateful to Jorge for opening up his business, but at the same time I also agree with JR Texas that an authentic Tex-Mex style place in Thailand would be fantastic too. It won't happen though until we get some willing "Texicans" to come here and open one up.

As far as Taco Bell is concerned just the idea of another shitty fast food place makes me cringe.

Edited by Groongthep

There's south of the border Mexican Mexican, and there's Tex-Mex, and there's California Mexican. I love them all, eat them all, and never argue one's better than the other.

Each has their own style, but they all flow from the same roots and share common elements, which make them good.

I was a lifelong Californian before moving here... But I love red chili sauce on my enchiladas (and that actually is a pretty common serving style in California Mexican places). Give me salsa fresca... give me pureed salsas.. red... orange... green... it's all good. Sour cream or no sour cream, I'll wolf 'em down...

Just give me the food here in Thailand, and I'm a happy man....

There's south of the border Mexican Mexican, and there's Tex-Mex, and there's California Mexican. I love them all, eat them all, and never argue one's better than the other.

Each has their own style, but they all flow from the same roots and share common elements, which make them good.

I was a lifelong Californian before moving here... But I love red chili sauce on my enchiladas (and that actually is a pretty common serving style in California Mexican places). Give me salsa fresca... give me pureed salsas.. red... orange... green... it's all good. Sour cream or no sour cream, I'll wolf 'em down...

Just give me the food here in Thailand, and I'm a happy man....

Hear, hear. I'll even take the sour cream ... :o

Yes.........you have lived in Mexico. Many of us have been all over Latin America........I have. And I lived in Texas for decades.

I would have to say that the food in Mexico is a bit different (sometimes very different) than the food we know as "Mexican food" in the USA. I am sure you are aware of that. I think most of us are looking for the good Mexican food we grew up on back in the USA.......not what we had on a road trip to Mexico.

I want some good Tex-Mex or even California-Mex. I have not found that in Thailand. I think it is because the fresh ingredients that cooks need are not here.......at least not all of them...........and consistently available. That can change and is changing.

Another problem might be related to the Thai labor laws that seem to force entrepreneurs to hire Thais to make food they have no idea about........Mexican food is a case in point. Most Thais have no clue what it is supposed to taste like.

I continue to maintain that the first person to open a really good Mexican restaurant or chain in Thailand will make a lot of money. I also maintain that Taco Bell is better than anything out there now (maybe Miguel's in Chiang Mai is an exception but have not eaten there).

I feel like most of us are starved for good Mexican food.......really crave it........and will accept virtually anything that is close to it. I prefer to insist on the real thing. Why not raise the bar on what they are presenting to us?

Good luck with your collective Mexican food dream............the one that loves what is here now.

JR, before you make such a claim, perhaps you should try the restaurant in question. :o

Afterwards if you still maintain that Taco Bell is in any way better than Tacos & Salsa, we'll better understand the value of your opinion. I've lived in Texas and am descended from five generations of Texans, by the way, still have kin all over the state. No Mexican food lover that has a choice eats at Taco Bell in Texas. If you have to have fast Mexican, it's Taco Cabana all the way. Originally born in San Antone, they're everywhere now, are open 24 hours, and they blow Taco Bell out of the ocean. Aside: Back in the 1980s I bought shares in Taco Cabana based on the news they were expanding out of Texas. They did eventually reach Okla and NM, but California was the target they never reached. I watched the stock sit practically immobile for 5 years before selling it off (actually come to think of it, I bought at 8 and sold at 5 :D I just checked and they were bought out by another company, whose stock is today worth $3.20 :D).

I like Tex-Mex and all the variations but no one in the USA makes as good a taco as an average taqueria in Mexico IMHO.

I like Tex-Mex and all the variations but no one in the USA makes as good a taco as an average taqueria in Mexico IMHO.

That's wrong. You just haven't been to the right places in the USA. Places to go: Mexican area, Mexican owners. Mexican cooks, Mexican customers. Its the same!

For example in Atlanta: http://eatbufordhighway.wordpress.com/2008...l-rey-del-taco/

They have Mexico City style salsas as well.

Edited by Jingthing

Here are a couple pictures from my favorite taco truck in San Francisco--some of the best tacos I've ever had anywhere and I've spent quite a bit of time traveling through Mexico.

Tacos al Pastor:

post-10689-1234011437_thumb.jpg

Here's a closeup of their juicy goodness:

post-10689-1234011495_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple pictures from my favorite taco truck in San Francisco--some of the best tacos I've ever had anywhere and I've spent quite a bit of time traveling through Mexico.

Tacos al Pastor

mmmmmmmmmmmm! Tacos al pastor are my favorite. I used to go to the Taqueria Cancun down in the Mission for them.

Where was your favorite "roach coach" located?

Here are a couple pictures from my favorite taco truck in San Francisco--

Ahhhh, the roach coach. I love those trucks. The last time I dined at one was years ago in Oakland, Calif in front of DMV near The Coliseum. There I was, walking down the street and gnawing on a burrito, sweet delicious memories.

TheWalkingMan

Where was your favorite "roach coach" located?

Howard and 18th? I'm sure about Howard, but not about the cross street. Is the name El Toyense? Is Carlos Santana one of the owners? I'm not sure of any of my facts, but I can find it again (and will find it again next trip) for sure.

I first had tacos from a taco truck in Oakland on (then) East 13th street many moons ago. At that time, the only people other than myself I ever saw at those trucks were Mexicans, judging from their looks and their language. The tacos were a buck a piece, and as I worked at nights I'd grab half a dozen or so.

It's always amazing to me that people who are so poor can eat food that puts super expensive restaurants to shame.

I first had tacos from a taco truck in Oakland on (then) East 13th street many moons ago.

East 13th street? Do you mean East 14th street (and High Street at that Mexican supermarket?) which is now called MLK or International Blvd? I cannot remember which. My brain must be slowly dissolving... :o

TheWalkingMan

East 13th street? Do you mean East 14th street (and High Street at that Mexican supermarket?) which is now called MLK or International Blvd? I cannot remember which. My brain must be slowly dissolving... :o

Yeah, East 14th--it's International Avenue now. MLK used to be...erm...well, my brain already has dissolved.

The taco truck I loved so much was in the parking lot of the thrift store--Salvation Army perhaps?

Edited by Jimmyd

Yeah, East 14th--it's International Avenue now. MLK used to be...erm...well, my brain already has dissolved.

The taco truck I loved so much was in the parking lot of the thrift store--Salvation Army perhaps?

The pictures of the taco served at the place in SF look good to me. For the poster who said I should try Tacos and Salsa before knocking it...........I don't want to try it because I did not like what I saw in the pictures you posted. Looks like the same old stuff. Maybe not........I have been wrong many times before.

East 13th street? Do you mean East 14th street (and High Street at that Mexican supermarket?) which is now called MLK or International Blvd? I cannot remember which. My brain must be slowly dissolving... :D

Salvation Army or the Goodwill? Was that near Montgomery Wards on East 14th Street and 29th Avenue? That was a whole lotta years and about 22 kilos ago :D

Did you ever visit 1/4 Pounder Burger? Man, that place was great! Heck, I miss the corn dogs at Quick Ways too. 100% beef, throw on some mustard, an order of those greasy, limp french fries with a chocolate shake. :D But I need to stop as I am getting misty at these memories. :o

TheWalkingMan