Tacos And Salsa Restaurant Review

Jimmyd

Part of me says that I should head back to East Oakland, work at a taqueria (wrong spelling - it's whiskey nite!) and a rib joint for a bit and open a shop in Bangkok. I do miss those steak and chicken burrito combos along with some bbq.

TheWalkingMan

We must be twins separated at birth--I've had those exact thoughts.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went there last night - overall very impressed with the food quality.

Mrs and I didn't dip our nachos into the salsa's btw.

Service was quick, friendly. With a beer, water, and ice tea and all the food it was 700 baht - less the 15% TV discount.

All four tables had customers but unless they find a way to take over the customer-less Indian, I wonder how they can bring their fab food to a larger audience.

I like Tex-Mex and all the variations but no one in the USA makes as good a taco as an average taqueria in Mexico IMHO.

That's wrong. You just haven't been to the right places in the USA. Places to go: Mexican area, Mexican owners. Mexican cooks, Mexican customers. Its the same!

For example in Atlanta: http://eatbufordhighway.wordpress.com/2008...l-rey-del-taco/

They have Mexico City style salsas as well.

my all time fav place is a little hole in the wall next to the home depot in Sunnyvale, California, 'El Toro'. best buritos and salsa on the planet, dirt cheap, no one speaks English, love it. i wish they did take out to Thailand!

closer to home, Ando Loco in Tongsala, Ko Phangan has some great Chicago/Mex food. best i've had in Thailand.

Burritos was very dry as well. There is hardly any seasoning at all. I expected to have ground beef in it, but it didn't turn out that way....

I will never visit that place again...

Ground beef in a burrito??? surely you jest.

I'm from San Diego and I've never seen such pathetic looking salsas in Mexican owned & operated restaurants in San Diego, or in Mexico. Most salsas you should

be able to tell what the ingredients are......and if those were supposed to hot sauces, they shouldn't be thick like ketchup.

You shouldn't be getting communal bowls of salsa either. .....disgusting. You should be getting your own smaller servings of each salsa for your own use....the way

Mike's does it Pattaya. That's not saying that Mike's is great Mexican food either....but it's OK.......and my friends that like Margaritas say his are the best.

Beachbunny

• 1 month later...
Burritos was very dry as well. There is hardly any seasoning at all. I expected to have ground beef in it, but it didn't turn out that way....

I will never visit that place again...

Ground beef in a burrito??? surely you jest.

I'm from San Diego and I've never seen such pathetic looking salsas in Mexican owned & operated restaurants in San Diego, or in Mexico. Most salsas you should

be able to tell what the ingredients are......and if those were supposed to hot sauces, they shouldn't be thick like ketchup.

You shouldn't be getting communal bowls of salsa either. .....disgusting. You should be getting your own smaller servings of each salsa for your own use....the way

Mike's does it Pattaya. That's not saying that Mike's is great Mexican food either....but it's OK.......and my friends that like Margaritas say his are the best.

Beachbunny

Pathetic... I am tired of this Thai visa forum and I just feel sorry about you guys, fortunately here also I met very good friends and costumers, but some of you just as pathetic as you comments but thank you any way for spend you time on it. Cheers dear friends

Hey Mex:

I think Polecat was just joking around. I was serious about my question, wanted to say hello the 2nd time I dropped in with the Mrs for dinner a couple weeks back and hence my question about what you looked like.

Forget about the so-called 'mexperts' - I like your communal (as much or as little) salsa as I want bowls.

Cheers

James

want to meet me, give a call and don be like an asshol_e

Wow, touchy.

I actually have met you, and eaten in your restaurant... but thought I would do you a favour and not comment on your food or the bill, because you seem a nice guy.

Yes, i have bee very nice and I care about all my costumers, If I am not there is because i have to take care my job too in order to keep Tacos & Salsa running. But not because I am nice people is going to insult me with no reason and call me gay or look like, and I have nothing against gay and I like George Michael's music.

Any way, i am sorry for get out of control.

I am trying my best like it or not, and if you have doubts that I am a Mexican (from Mexico) ask to the Mexican embassy in Thailand.

I like make friends and I am sorry for my attitude, but you have to understand that Tacos & Salsa is my business and even if I am very open to critics or comments, I have to protect it from aggressions.

If you have some thing to tell me or you want to talk, I am open for it.

My full Name is Jorge Bernal Marquez and my mobile number is 081 381 54 69

Cheers

Jorge :o

Jorge, I like your second response above a lot better than the prior one...

Glad you can try to maintain a good, positive attitude toward your business..and customers, and all their varied opinions.

There are lots of different folks who participate in Thai Visa, and of course, people with all different opinions about food, and everything else. It takes a bit of a thick skin to not be offended, sometimes. Some people love one place. Other people hate the same place. Hard to know why, except everyone has their opinions.

I've never run a restaurant myself. But I always believe, offer good meals at a good price in a good setting, and you'll do well. Sure hope you do. --John

I went to Tacos and Salsa last month and thoroughly enjoyed their food, not dry or tasteless at all. However, I would like to add one recommendation: a bigger or more visible sign. I was meeting a friend there, walked past the place and had to walk back when he called me and gave me directions on how to find it.

Glad to see that's all cleared up. Don't take PC's photo fetish to heart - he does this on all threads :o

If I could change one thing, either make the tables a bit bigger or the plates a bit smaller (not the portions) - tough to get all I order on the table at once!

Cheers

James

Glad to see that's all cleared up. Don't take PC's photo fetish to heart - he does this on all threads :o

If I could change one thing, either make the tables a bit bigger or the plates a bit smaller (not the portions) - tough to get all I order on the table at once!

Cheers

James

Any chance of posting a map of your location so that some of us who are geographically challenged can find your place and eat there and give you money and hopefully say something positive about the place? Thanks.

Soi 18......somewhere?

Cheers

James

Any chance of posting a map of your location so that some of us who are geographically challenged can find your place and eat there and give you money and hopefully say something positive about the place? Thanks.

Soi 18......somewhere?

I dont have a map but it is no more than 50 meters up the soi on the right. you will see the sign for the indian restaurant first - it's right there - al fresco albeit.

From the original review:

The restaurant is about 4 tables outside in the walkway on one side of an Indian restaurant:

post-10689-1237455285_thumb.jpg

here's what it looks like when you walk down Sukhumvit Soi 18:

post-10689-1237455304_thumb.jpg

(Edited to fix the attachments.)

Edited by Jimmyd

Cheers

James

Soi 18......somewhere?

Tacos & Salsa is very close to the Main Road (Sukhumvit) on the right hand side, opposite of Lexus car show room, we are next to an Indian restaurant called Pavilion.

Best regards

J

post-73993-1237715815_thumb.jpg

I went to Tacos and Salsa last month and thoroughly enjoyed their food, not dry or tasteless at all. However, I would like to add one recommendation: a bigger or more visible sign. I was meeting a friend there, walked past the place and had to walk back when he called me and gave me directions on how to find it.

Hola, Thank you for your recommendation,

We will do that asap

Best regards

J

• 2 weeks later...

We will do that asap

Best regards

J

Thanks for the map..........I am going to eat there and post my view. I promise I will keep an open mind. What do you recommend that might remind me of Tex-Mex food?

Here is a picture of some good Tex-Mex: post-36006-1238656889_thumb.jpg

We will do that asap

Best regards

J

Thanks for the map..........I am going to eat there and post my view. I promise I will keep an open mind. What do you recommend that might remind me of Tex-Mex food?

Here is a picture of some good Tex-Mex: post-36006-1238656889_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thank you for the picture,

I personally recommend you to try the enchiladas and Burritos, the Nachos are also popular and more or less similar as the one you can find in the Tex-Mex restaurants. But don't forget to try also the taquitos, specially "Tacos al Pastor" (Taquitos mou dean-in Thai) if you want to try the Mexican taste

Warm regards

J

I've eaten there a few times recently, and I would have the following comments:

Very difficult to find unless you already know it is there- but after you've found it, of course you can find it again.

Price is quite reasonable for the cuisine considering going rates in Bangkok.

Nachos, salsas, guacamole all good.

Beef filling in tacos should be ground beef- or perhaps am I not communicating well with the waitress?

Quesadillas, beans, rice, all good.

Fillings in enchiladas a little too over-the-top hot, without being flavourful- too many chiles in the mix, perhaps? Kitchen staff trying to 'thai' it up? :o

On the whole, a worthwhile experience- will probably be back yet again.

ijwt, they offer the enchiladas with a choice of two different sauces. The red one is fairly mild, let's say American/TexMex style, while the green sauce is much hotter. I like the hotter sauce myself but wouldn't recommend it for those who don't like it hot. The chilaquiles are also very hot, watch out. I still haven't tried the restaurant's special by-request salsa which is supposed to be the hottest of all.

ijwt, they offer the enchiladas with a choice of two different sauces. The red one is fairly mild, let's say American/TexMex style, while the green sauce is much hotter. I like the hotter sauce myself but wouldn't recommend it for those who don't like it hot. The chilaquiles are also very hot, watch out. I still haven't tried the restaurant's special by-request salsa which is supposed to be the hottest of all.

Beef filling in tacos should be ground beef- or perhaps am I not communicating well with the waitress?

You do not find ground beef in tacos in Mexico. That is a Tex-Mex thing.

Ground beef/steak would be good. Whether or not they chop it up enough to call it "ground beef" in Mexico is debatable....surely some people do.

I would like to point out that most people do not want genuine Mexican food. When we talk about "genuine Mexican food" we are actually talking about the type of "morphed" food we find back home (e.g., in Texas or California or Arizona).

So, forcing us to eat real Mexican food might not be the best strategy if you want to make money.

By way of example, you can't find "real Chinese food" in Texas. But you can find great Chinese food that has been altered to suit our tastes.

Many examples of this...........this is why I keep stressing make real Tex-Mex and you will make a fortune here.

I am looking forward to eating at T&S........will follow the broken chips along the sidewalk..........please do not remove them as I need them to guide me........unless, of course, T&S is making good Tex-Mex.........in that case I will just follow my nose.