Tacos And Salsa Restaurant Review

Jimmyd

I went to Tacos and Salsa last month and thoroughly enjoyed their food, not dry or tasteless at all. However, I would like to add one recommendation: a bigger or more visible sign. I was meeting a friend there, walked past the place and had to walk back when he called me and gave me directions on how to find it.

Hola, Thank you for your recommendation,

We will do that asap

Best regards

J

Thanks for the map..........I am going to eat there and post my view. I promise I will keep an open mind. What do you recommend that might remind me of Tex-Mex food?

Here is a picture of some good Tex-Mex: post-36006-1238656889_thumb.jpg

that looks like the smoothered burritos that i used to get at my favorite mexican hole in the wall back home. Except for the burritos look much larger at the place i used to eat at.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Tacos and Salsa last month and thoroughly enjoyed their food, not dry or tasteless at all. However, I would like to add one recommendation: a bigger or more visible sign. I was meeting a friend there, walked past the place and had to walk back when he called me and gave me directions on how to find it.

Hola, Thank you for your recommendation,

We will do that asap

Best regards

J

Thanks for the map..........I am going to eat there and post my view. I promise I will keep an open mind. What do you recommend that might remind me of Tex-Mex food?

Here is a picture of some good Tex-Mex: post-36006-1238656889_thumb.jpg

that looks like the smoothered burritos that i used to get at my favorite mexican hole in the wall back home. Except for the burritos look much larger at the place i used to eat at.

From Joe T. Garcias in Ft. Worth, Texas..........enchiladas, beans and rice........seems like it should be simple to make but I have never seen anything like it in Thailand.

I wish somebody would post pictures of Tex-Mex from El Fenix and other items from Joe T. Garcias........very rare on the internet.

People who cook and serve Mexican food for a living need to see with their eyes what some of us are talking about........smelling and tasting would be even better.

Beef filling in tacos should be ground beef- or perhaps am I not communicating well with the waitress?

You do not find ground beef in tacos in Mexico. That is a Tex-Mex thing.

Ground beef/steak would be good. Whether or not they chop it up enough to call it "ground beef" in Mexico is debatable....surely some people do.

I would like to point out that most people do not want genuine Mexican food. When we talk about "genuine Mexican food" we are actually talking about the type of "morphed" food we find back home (e.g., in Texas or California or Arizona).

So, forcing us to eat real Mexican food might not be the best strategy if you want to make money.

By way of example, you can't find "real Chinese food" in Texas. But you can find great Chinese food that has been altered to suit our tastes.

Many examples of this...........this is why I keep stressing make real Tex-Mex and you will make a fortune here.

I am looking forward to eating at T&S........will follow the broken chips along the sidewalk..........please do not remove them as I need them to guide me........unless, of course, T&S is making good Tex-Mex.........in that case I will just follow my nose.

Hi,

I have my doubts about your theories, but anyway thank you for your comment.

cheers

Beef filling in tacos should be ground beef- or perhaps am I not communicating well with the waitress?

You do not find ground beef in tacos in Mexico. That is a Tex-Mex thing.

Ground beef/steak would be good. Whether or not they chop it up enough to call it "ground beef" in Mexico is debatable....surely some people do.

I would like to point out that most people do not want genuine Mexican food. When we talk about "genuine Mexican food" we are actually talking about the type of "morphed" food we find back home (e.g., in Texas or California or Arizona).

So, forcing us to eat real Mexican food might not be the best strategy if you want to make money.

By way of example, you can't find "real Chinese food" in Texas. But you can find great Chinese food that has been altered to suit our tastes.

Many examples of this...........this is why I keep stressing make real Tex-Mex and you will make a fortune here.

I am looking forward to eating at T&S........will follow the broken chips along the sidewalk..........please do not remove them as I need them to guide me........unless, of course, T&S is making good Tex-Mex.........in that case I will just follow my nose.

Hi,

I have my doubts about your theories, but anyway thank you for your comment.

cheers

Regarding to sale or not authentic Mexican food, this is what you can also find in the States and this restaurant is making echoes in Mexico without need to be Tex-Mex (food consumed in Texas based in Authentic Mexican food http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex-Mex_cuisine) as well as the other variations

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulos/53375.html

http://www.momocho.com/index.php

The taste of our food has to cover the taste of costumers from different nationalities, including Thai people

Cheers :o

I lived many years in both Texas and Mexico and enjoy the varieties of Mexican cuisine found in both places. As I've mentioned before, the food served at Tacos and Salsa is not so far removed from Tex-Mex that you wouldn't recognise it or enjoy it, JR. Also the enchilada plate at T&S looks very similar to your Joe T photo, minus the strips of iceburg lettuce on top. I recommend either the chicken enchiladas or the cheese enchiladas. Your choice of mild red or very spicy green sauce. I believe Joe T's used to also offer 'green enchiladas' with a similar sauce. I've not eaten at Joe T's since the early 90s, could have changed.

When you say 'most people do not want genuine Mexican food' I guess you mean most Americans. Remember that among the expat farang population in Bangkok, Americans are a minority. Needless to say, many of T&S's customers are not American, they're European, Latin (Jorge is too modest to note that the Mexican embassy staff eat there regularly), Thai and other nationalities. On the other hand, from what I've seen listening to the accents at neighboring tables, many regular T&S customers are American and they seem to enjoy the food. In summary I would say that 'most people' who try T&S seem to like it very much. Your mileage may vary, but among American expats you would most likely find yourself in the minority. That's fine, to each his own.

Aside: Joe T Garcia's is owned and operated by Mexican Americans, using recipes that came directly from Mexico. All of the best Mexican restos in America are run by Mexicans. Virtually no non-Mexican-owned Mexican resto stands a prayer of being recognised as a 'good' Mexican resto in the states, much less 'excellent.' Yes there are plenty of bad Mexican restos run by Mexicans in the states, but very few good ones run by gringos. The exceptions are efforts like Rick Bayless' in Chicago, which cleaves very closely to original Mexican recipes. Lest you've forgotten, Tacos & Salsa is the only Mexican restaurant in Bangkok, maybe all of Thailand, owned and operated by a Mexican.

You've invested so much of your anti-Mexican bias into the debate, without even having tried the food, JR, that I reckon there's no way your oversized Texas pride would allow you to admit that it's pretty good eating, especially when compared with the Mexican pretenders around town. :o

About the ground beef issue, in Mexico the most popular beef tacos use carne asada, strips of grilled beef. However some places fill tacos with picadillo, which is ground beef with minced vegetables, onions, chiles, herbs (bay, laurel, thyme), etc. Some versions include olives, almonds, raisins, etc as well. Very popular in Cuba and Puerto Rico, also around El Paso (including my favorite place for picadillo, H&H Car Wash).

I think tacos de picadillo would make an excellent addition to the menu at T&S, para los norteamericanos :o

I lived many years in both Texas and Mexico and enjoy the varieties of Mexican cuisine found in both places. As I've mentioned before, the food served at Tacos and Salsa is not so far removed from Tex-Mex that you wouldn't recognise it or enjoy it, JR. Also the enchilada plate at T&S looks very similar to your Joe T photo, minus the strips of iceburg lettuce on top. I recommend either the chicken enchiladas or the cheese enchiladas. Your choice of mild red or very spicy green sauce. I believe Joe T's used to also offer 'green enchiladas' with a similar sauce. I've not eaten at Joe T's since the early 90s, could have changed.

When you say 'most people do not want genuine Mexican food' I guess you mean most Americans. Remember that among the expat farang population in Bangkok, Americans are a minority. Needless to say, many of T&S's customers are not American, they're European, Latin (Jorge is too modest to note that the Mexican embassy staff eat there regularly), Thai and other nationalities. On the other hand, from what I've seen listening to the accents at neighboring tables, many regular T&S customers are American and they seem to enjoy the food. In summary I would say that 'most people' who try T&S seem to like it very much. Your mileage may vary, but among American expats you would most likely find yourself in the minority. That's fine, to each his own.

Aside: Joe T Garcia's is owned and operated by Mexican Americans, using recipes that came directly from Mexico. All of the best Mexican restos in America are run by Mexicans. Virtually no non-Mexican-owned Mexican resto stands a prayer of being recognised as a 'good' Mexican resto in the states, much less 'excellent.' Yes there are plenty of bad Mexican restos run by Mexicans in the states, but very few good ones run by gringos. The exceptions are efforts like Rick Bayless' in Chicago, which cleaves very closely to original Mexican recipes. Lest you've forgotten, Tacos & Salsa is the only Mexican restaurant in Bangkok, maybe all of Thailand, owned and operated by a Mexican.

You've invested so much of your anti-Mexican bias into the debate, without even having tried the food, JR, that I reckon there's no way your oversized Texas pride would allow you to admit that it's pretty good eating, especially when compared with the Mexican pretenders around town. :o

Thank you for your informative posts (including the one about ground beef). I will go to T&S with an open mind and try the cheese enchiladas with "green sauce" (made with tomatillo?).

Question: Do you really believe that Joe T. Garcias would be less popular in Thailand than what is here now because of the lack of American customers?

If so, I find that difficult to believe.

I think all of us--from both sides of the Big Pond--would flock to Joe T. Garcias (or El Fenix) and forget about all of the pretenders.

There is a niche that is not being filled..........this is my main point.

Maybe I am wrong.......been wrong before.

While the obviously dedicated Mex food lovers in this topic may have one believe that their is a huge un-tapped market for Mex food, suffice to say the market is not that big.

But if one were to keep it small (a la Jorge), me thinks there is potential. Forget about trying to convert the locals and concentrate on your core target audience. Furthermore, if you are planning to target the locals, make it fashionable.

Take a look at the coffee scene in Thailand. 10 years ago it was hard to find a good espresso anywhere except at good restaurants / hotels.

Now, we have Starbucks, Coffee Worlds and a million little coffee kioks all over the city. It is evolving and so are the tastes of Thais.

That being said, the majority of locals I see drink the 25 baht super sweet ice coffee version or the 10 baht instant from 7/11. Those who do go to Sbuck etc, do so purely for the 'fashion' side of it.

But what do I know, go ahead and open a 100 seat restaurant at Paragon or similar and throw the dice mate.

Interesting to notice, anybody else seen these....??

When I've been riding BTS lately, I'm seeing back-to-back TV commercials on their on-train video advertising system showing ads for some kind of chips called "Dr. Taco" and for some kind of "Mexican" flavored chicken offering coming from KFC....

Both videos have very traditional Mexican imagery presented. And while farangs certainly are passengers on the BTS system, the customer base there is certainly predominantly Thai. So somebody must think it's worth investing their advertising dollars in pitching Mexican themed products to a Thai audience.

Makes one wonder about the convergence prospects in Thailand for the sister outlets operated by YUM brands, being KFC and Taco Bell.

Such as, this joint operation in San Francisco, CA....

post-53787-1239158818_thumb.jpg

When I've been riding BTS lately, I'm seeing back-to-back TV commercials on their on-train video advertising system showing ads for some kind of chips called "Dr. Taco" and for some kind of "Mexican" flavored chicken offering coming from KFC....

Both videos have very traditional Mexican imagery presented. And while farangs certainly are passengers on the BTS system, the customer base there is certainly predominantly Thai. So somebody must think it's worth investing their advertising dollars in pitching Mexican themed products to a Thai audience.

Makes one wonder about the convergence prospects in Thailand for the sister outlets operated by YUM brands, being KFC and Taco Bell.

The combination of Taco Bell and KFC is a good concept: They would make a fortune here. But you have to understand the market. Two points:

First, in terms of the expat market for "Mexican food," nobody is serving up Tex-Mex......can't even get the bad Taco Bell version which is, in my view, better than anything I have eaten at any Mexican food place in Thailand. If somebody would do it, the non-Americans would likely start loving it.

Second, in terms of the local market, well........it does not exist. Thais just might like tamales........they would almost certainly like chile relleno using various peppers and stuffings (and not some crap chile relleno pie).

Thais, for the most part, do not seem to like what is being presented to them now. This is obvious to me........I see it with my own eyes when I go to the places that are out there now. A major problem is the high cost of the product......most Thais simply are not going to pay a high price for a taco.

Again, I think Taco Bell would be a hit here......especially if it offers up some items that Thais would like. Marketing the concept with KFC as a partner.........almost a sure winner.

The combination of Taco Bell and KFC is a good concept: They would make a fortune here. But you have to understand the market. Two points:

First, in terms of the expat market for "Mexican food," nobody is serving up Tex-Mex......can't even get the bad Taco Bell version which is, in my view, better than anything I have eaten at any Mexican food place in Thailand. If somebody would do it, the non-Americans would likely start loving it.

Second, in terms of the local market, well........it does not exist. Thais just might like tamales........they would almost certainly like chile relleno using various peppers and stuffings (and not some crap chile relleno pie).

Thais, for the most part, do not seem to like what is being presented to them now. This is obvious to me........I see it with my own eyes when I go to the places that are out there now. A major problem is the high cost of the product......most Thais simply are not going to pay a high price for a taco.

Again, I think Taco Bell would be a hit here......especially if it offers up some items that Thais would like. Marketing the concept with KFC as a partner.........almost a sure winner.

Taco bell was here over a decade a go. Went belly up. Peharps timing wasnt right. RE: Dr Taco - spicy rice snack that may have you seeking a Doctor afterwards.

In hindsight, I probably should have avoided the KFC-Taco Bell reference, because that subject tends to lead to a different debate...

My main point was, marketing folks these days are spending money to pitch at least some Mexican themed food products (for better or worse) to a predominantly Thai audience in Thailand. I think that's an interesting development that perhaps bodes well for such "Mexican" food lovers here...

In hindsight, I probably should have avoided the KFC-Taco Bell reference, because that subject tends to lead to a different debate...

My main point was, marketing folks these days are spending money to pitch at least some Mexican themed food products (for better or worse) to a predominantly Thai audience in Thailand. I think that's an interesting development that perhaps bodes well for such "Mexican" food lovers here...

yea, i can hardly wait for Minor to roll out Mexican Seafood Pizzas :o

I got your point........the company that owns KFC/Taco Bell (think Minor Food Group) and other fast food places is obviously good at what they do. I noticed, several years ago now, KFV started offering chicken burrito items (terrible, but it was an attempt to test the Thai market).

Yes, the comment is a bit off topic, but I think the owner of T&S needs to think about the implications for his business if Taco Bells start sprouting up next to KFCs and start selling inexpensive "Mexican food." Instead of 300 baht for a simple bean burrito, it will likely cost 40 baht.

I got your point........the company that owns KFC/Taco Bell (think Minor Food Group) and other fast food places is obviously good at what they do. I noticed, several years ago now, KFV started offering chicken burrito items (terrible, but it was an attempt to test the Thai market).

Yes, the comment is a bit off topic, but I think the owner of T&S needs to think about the implications for his business if Taco Bells start sprouting up next to KFCs and start selling inexpensive "Mexican food." Instead of 300 baht for a simple bean burrito, it will likely cost 40 baht.

Obviously you have never been to Tacos and Salsas.

:P:D:wai::D:D:D:o

my point is I have eaten there several times with the mrs.

my order usually consists of 2 different sets of tacos including the house special or chimichangas, plus the larger nachos and a marg or two for me and a soft drink for her.

my bill for 2 people has never been higher than 750 baht if I recall.

I might be wrong but Junior seems to be from Texas. So he knows without tasting himself that it is not the same as cousin Billy-Bob and auntie Fannie-May used to do back home :o

Try it out JR, maybe it's not your ideal tex-mex from back home but it is good food and prices are actually very reasonable.

:P:D:wai::D:D:D:o

my order usually consists of 2 different sets of tacos including the house special or chimichangas, plus the larger nachos and a marg or two for me and a soft drink for her.

Geez James, the one thing I've noticed over the past few months is that you almost seem to eat for a living!!!

So it made me wonder.....

1. How do you afford it?

and 2. How do you keep your figure???

:jerk:

Thanks for the various replies- next time I'm there I'll have to ask for the red sauce on the enchiladas; the green just covered up the taste with heat for me.

I would recommend that the taco meat fillings be a little more- what would the word be? diced, ground, shredded?, though- whatever it is they're made of.

Mmmmmmm... thinking of the nachos right now... but night time eating is no good- must go to sleep!

:jerk: :wai::P:D:D:D:o

Geez James, the one thing I've noticed over the past few months is that you almost seem to eat for a living!!!

So it made me wonder.....

1. How do you afford it?

and 2. How do you keep your figure???

:burp:

touche John:

Eating (and cooking) is a hobby. Less expensive and easier on my head than hanging out in bars. Re my figure - bought and paid for mate - takes several decades of dedicated fine dining to look like this. :D

Question: Do you really believe that Joe T. Garcias would be less popular in Thailand than what is here now because of the lack of American customers?

If so, I find that difficult to believe.

I think all of us--from both sides of the Big Pond--would flock to Joe T. Garcias (or El Fenix) and forget about all of the pretenders.

There is a niche that is not being filled..........this is my main point.

Maybe I am wrong.......been wrong before.

I think a restaurant with food the quality of Joe T's would go over well here. I'd eat there for sure. I like the variety. If there was only Joe T's in town it would get boring, ditto for T&S, I have to space my visits there or else I'd get bored there too. I eat at Sunrise sometimes, esp if T&S is closed (middle of the night!).

But if you're saying that the expat market in Thailand would prefer American-style Mexican (Tex-Mex) over Mexican made by a native Mexican, I would strongly disagree. In fact I would say that the majority of the expat market here couldn't tell the difference, and that includes most of the minority American expats. Among those that could tell the difference, I think most would choose the fresher tastes of real Mexican.

You were sounding pretty reasonable JR till you started saying that Taco Bell was better than any Mexican place in Thailand. Not so, you need to get out more. Taco Bell is utter crap and tastes nothing like good Tex-Mex or Mexican. If you like Taco Bell ... well like I said before, your palate for good Mexican food - and Tex-Mex IS a variety of Mexican food - is immediately suspect :o In fact in a blind tasting I'd bet all my money that you couldn't tell the difference between Tex-Mex and the food from Tacos & Salsa. Like I also said before, they are not that far apart. Certainly the differences in flavours between sacred Joe T's and T&S are about 50 times less than the difference between Joe T's and Taco Bell. If you were to eat at T&S and think that Taco Bell was better, than I'd have to guess your fondness for Joe T's has nothing to do with taste.

By the way, bkkjames, I'm with UG here, pretty sure Thailand has never had a Taco Bell. Hopefully never will. KFC sucks too :D

You were sounding pretty reasonable JR till you started saying that Taco Bell was better than any Mexican place in Thailand. Not so, you need to get out more. Taco Bell is utter crap and tastes nothing like good Tex-Mex or Mexican. If you like Taco Bell ... well like I said before, your palate for good Mexican food - and Tex-Mex IS a variety of Mexican food - is immediately suspect :D In fact in a blind tasting I'd bet all my money that you couldn't tell the difference between Tex-Mex and the food from Tacos & Salsa. Like I also said before, they are not that far apart. Certainly the differences in flavours between sacred Joe T's and T&S are about 50 times less than the difference between Joe T's and Taco Bell. If you were to eat at T&S and think that Taco Bell was better, than I'd have to guess your fondness for Joe T's has nothing to do with taste.

By the way, bkkjames, I'm with UG here, pretty sure Thailand has never had a Taco Bell. Hopefully never will. KFC sucks too :D

:D:o:D I have already said I have not eaten at T&S. So, obviously, I am not including T&S in my generalizations. The reason I am saying something positive about Taco Bell is because the other places (excluding those I have not tried) are worse or about the same in terms of taste and quality.

I am not emphasizing Taco Bell because it serves excellent Mexican food. Of course, it doesn't. It serves nothing even remotely like Joe T. Garcias or El Fenix. It is a late night fix type of place.....inexpensive.......popular with young people. And it focuses (or used to) on tacos and burritos.

(By the way, I was born and raised in Texas. I have traveled all over Mexico and South America. I also lived in California. I know all types of Mexican food. Nothing that I have eaten beats Joe T. Garcias and El Fenix..........so I keep using them as a model of what good Mexican food is.)

I will say that the tacos and burritos I have eaten at Taco Bell are fine.....nothing great.........but fine if you are starving for Mexican food and don't want to spend a fortune on it. That makes them competitive. If they come here many expats will spend money on their food. The marketing will be top notch. The food will be inexpensive......40-60 baht for a burrito with refried beans and cheese and salsa.........as opposed to 290 baht for the same burrito asta place I will not mention.

I am mentioning this, not to be rude........I am simply stating a fact. If I were in the Mexican restaurant business, I would be concerned about pinning my dream on very expensive tacos and burritos. I would try to lower my price on those items while making them superior to what Taco Bell will eventually serve. And I would start focusing on items that Taco Bell is not going to offer: chile relleno, enchiladas, tamales, fajitas.......etc.

I am certain they are coming. Right now they are just sitting back and monitoring the situation......seeing what is working and what is not working and going through various plans for introducing their items to the Thailand market. I think they are in China now. When and if the economy gets better and some sort of stability returns to the country, they may finally decide to test the market here. If they set up a place on Khao San Road, it would make a fortune!

JR, I understand your point. You have made it clear in great detail in great many posts.

My final thought on this is that I am sure T&S has given alot of consideration as to what the market will bear in terms of cost.

As I mentioned, I do not find it over the top at all to dish out 700-800 baht for a big dinner for my mrs and I of high quality, great tasting food.

As a comparison, if I order a pizza hut combo with side caeser salad, chicken wings its running 400+ baht. For a few hundred more I get what I previously mentioned including the booze.

I don't eat mexican too often, maybe once every 2-3 weeks but when I do, spending 20 USD for two is not over the top and in my eyes, value for money.

To keep things in perspective, if I go out on a Friday night with the boys, my bill is in the 1000's.

I suggest you go try it while keeping an open mind and I think you will find its no Taco Bell.

JR, I understand your point. You have made it clear in great detail in great many posts.

My final thought on this is that I am sure T&S has given alot of consideration as to what the market will bear in terms of cost.

As I mentioned, I do not find it over the top at all to dish out 700-800 baht for a big dinner for my mrs and I of high quality, great tasting food.

As a comparison, if I order a pizza hut combo with side caeser salad, chicken wings its running 400+ baht. For a few hundred more I get what I previously mentioned including the booze.

I don't eat mexican too often, maybe once every 2-3 weeks but when I do, spending 20 USD for two is not over the top and in my eyes, value for money.

To keep things in perspective, if I go out on a Friday night with the boys, my bill is in the 1000's.

I suggest you go try it while keeping an open mind and I think you will find its no Taco Bell.

Thank you guys, for all your comments,

I am really concern about the price and I am agree with all of you in terms of quality and price, but believe me, it is not easy to keep the prices low when you have to pay a high rent for a good location in the city, I have to pay salaries of my staff, account, lawyer, plus electricity, water,suppliers etc.

JR is talking about a Burrito of 40-60 THB, yes we can but what you should know is that here is Thailand and not as in Mexico or the States you can find hundreds of good quality tortillas. here the cost of only one tortilla form the best supplier is 15 to 20 THB only !, then add the rice, the beans, the veggies, and the meat, you will already pass the 80 THB of cost, where you need to add what you need to make to cover other expenses. So, bee in the real world your 40 to 60 THB burrito doesn't exist.

Of course Taco Bell KFC Mc Donals etc sale very cheap food well, not very considering the mass production system they have, and the actually don't make the huge business as you suggest trough the food, they make all that money though the real state business that they have behind the franchise. in short, they don't care what you eat, they just care that you have to go for even a coke or ice cream.

I do care about the food and it's quality, as well as the costumers in general, not matter where they come from all are well welcome and served. and the quality is superior like it or not than the others, but that is killing me, because my cost is high and i am still no recover the investment and no even close to make profit to survive.

By the way, I have to let you know that I have to stop giving the 15% discount, since that it was just for introduction of my restaurant to you here in Thai Visa and Facebook and that was 3 months ago. instead I will print a regular costumers card and i will give them to you. I hope you understand.

Please JR you are always welcome to come to have out food at T&S

Also, please forgive me if I haven't been so often in the restaurant at night. But also I have to take care of my other jobs in order to keep T&S alive.

Buy the way, have any of you try "Burrito Loco" ay MBK the guy went to T&S to meet me and they want me to buy my recipes and train their staff for 20K THB hahahaha, sorry I had to rejected and the guy, a Thai man who told me that he loves Mexico and his best friends are Mexicans has never been to Mexico after been living in LA, become very rude to me because I say not. But anyway, there one more option for you guys.

Have a nice weekend and keep safe on this Sonkran holidays

Cheers !

Jorge Bernal

Tacos & Salsa