Not A Cheap Charlie

gburns57au

Not a cheap charlie, I am just careful with money.

There is a phrase for this that I was told ages ago but have since forgotten, one word of the phrase is seen on aircraft for economy passengers.

ชั้นประหยัดราคา = economy class

ประหยัด = to be thrifty, to be economical

pra[sL]yad[sL]

The two "a" should have the same sound, the same as in Standard English "mutt", not as in "mat". The "p" is unaspirated, sometimes written as "bp".

ผมเป็นคนประหยัด ไม่ใช่คนขี้เหนียว

phom pen khon prayat, mai chai khon khii niaow

phom ruujak prayad ngern

If you want to add fuel to the debate, you can in turn accuse the other party of being "fum feuay" (extravagant, careless with money) and "mai ruujak khun khaa khawng ngern loei" (doesn't know the value of money).

Have a nice argument!

:o

/Meadish

Not a cheap charlie, I am just careful with money.

There is a phrase for this that I was told ages ago but have since forgotten, one word of the phrase is seen on aircraft for economy passengers.

pra[sL]yad[sL]

The two "a" should have the same sound, the same as in Standard English "mutt", not as in "mat". The "p" is unaspirated, sometimes written as "bp".

phom ruujak prayad ngern

If you want to add fuel to the debate, you can in turn accuse the other party of being "fum feuay" (extravagant, careless with money) and "mai ruujak khun khaa khawng ngern loei" (doesn't know the value of money).

Have a nice argument!

:o

/Meadish

Thats the one.....Prayat.......I love to see the faces when you say it.... :D

pra[sL]yad[sL]

phom ruujak prayad ngern

Have a nice argument!

:D

Meadish

Thanks MS - "prayad" is what my g/f now calls me instead of "khii niaow" after I explained that just because I took out 10,000 baht from the ATM it doesn't mean she can spend it all in one shopping trip. And thanks for the "fum feuay" - I'll keep that one 'till I need it :o

pra[sL]yad[sL]

phom ruujak prayad ngern

Have a nice argument!

Meadish

Thanks MS - "prayad" is what my g/f now calls me instead of "khii niaow" after I explained that just because I took out 10,000 baht from the ATM it doesn't mean she can spend it all in one shopping trip. And thanks for the "fum feuay" - I'll keep that one 'till I need it :o

there's another Thai word meaning economical มัทธยัส mattayat, the 'a' being the half 'a', half 'u' sound, high tone all 3 syllables .

You could use เปลือง 'pbleuang' to mean wasteful, ie excessive use of mobile phone, but it's one of the harder words to pronounce correctly.

If your girlfriend's Issan you could use 'khi ti' to mean stingy, high tone on the 'ti'.

bannork.

pra[sL]yad[sL]

phom ruujak prayad ngern

Have a nice argument!

Meadish

there's another Thai word meaning economical มัทธยัส mattayat, the 'a' being the half 'a', half 'u' sound, high tone all 3 syllables .

You could use เปลือง 'pbleuang' to mean wasteful, ie excessive use of mobile phone, but it's one of the harder words to pronounce correctly.

If your girlfriend's Issan you could use 'khi ti' to mean stingy, high tone on the 'ti'.

bannork.

apologies for the misspelling in the above, I should have written มัธยัสถ์ as 'mattayat;, not the spelling as above.

bannork.

pra[sL]yad[sL]

phom ruujak prayad ngern

Have a nice argument!

Meadish

bannork.

apologies for the misspelling in the above, I should have written มัธยัสถ์ as 'mattayat;, not the spelling as above.

bannork.

P/S words are right bastards in terms of spelling. I also thought of "mathayat" when I wrote my post above, but I had not a clue how it is properly spelt so just let it slide. "Bpleuang (dtang)" is a great suggestion, probably even better than "fum feuay".

I use that one and occasionally mattayat. It does get a strange reaction from people as they can't say that there is anything bad about it. The difference between kee neeow and prayat are like "stingy" and "not feum feuuuy".

One is a "character defect", the other one is a quality. When people used to call me kee neeiow for taking the bus instead of a taxi in Bkk, I used to say,"I am prayat as my wife is pregnant. They really admired this, I think.