10 Year Old Girl Saves Dozens From Tsunami

Tornado

10 Year Old Girl Saves

Dozens From Tsunami

The Sun - UK

1-1-5

PHUKET, Thailand - Quick-thinking 10-year-old Tilly Smith is being hailed as a hero after saving her parents and dozens of fellow vacationers from the deadly tsunami - thanks to a school geography lesson.

Tilly warned the doubting adults at a resort that a massive tidal wave was about to strike - just minutes before the deadly tide rushed in and turned the resort into rubble.

Tilly's family, from Surrey, England, was enjoying a day at Maikhao Beach last Sunday when the sea rushed out and began to bubble.

The adults were curious, but Tilly froze in horror.

"Mummy, we must get off the beach now!" she told her mother.

"I think there's going to be a tsunami."

The adults didn't understand until Tilly added the magic words:

"A tidal wave."

Her warning spread like wildfire. Within seconds, the beach was deserted - and it turned out to be one of the only places along the shores of Phuket

where no one was killed or seriously injured.

Last night, Tilly was being hailed as a savior.

"I think it's phenomenal that Tilly's parents and the others on the beach are alive because she studied hard at school," said Craig Smith , the American manager of the JW Marriott Hotel where Tilly's family was staying.

He said a tsunami is not like you see in the movies, where a huge wave wells up on the horizon and can be seen for miles off shore.

It is more like a sudden surge of water," he said. "There's very little warning.

She's a hero."

Tilly shrugged off the attention and modestly said, "Last term, my geography teacher, Mr. Kearney, taught us about earthquakes and how they can cause tsunamis.

"I was on the beach, and the water started to go funny.

"I recognized what was happening and had a feeling there was going to be a tsunami."

"When the water went back, I was like most people on the beach. I wanted to walk down and look at what was going on," she recalled. "It was only when Tilly explained what she thought was going to happen that I had second thoughts.

"We ran off the beach as fast as we could and went to the first floor of the hotel where it would be safe. Minutes later the water surged right over the beach and demolished everything in its path.

"It was terrifying to watch but I'm very proud of her."

The Sun newspaper

Hang on a mo....

"... just minutes before the deadly tide rushed in and turned the resort into rubble."

Now this from the JWM press release of 28/12/04...

"Damage at the resort was confined to the beach, gardens and pool area. The beachfront restaurant and a number of ground level beachfront suites also sustained minor damage and are expected to reopen in about 5 days. Following clean-up, the pool will reopen tomorrow. Other restaurants and facilities at the resort are open and operating."

I haven't been up to check for myself yet, but I trust Lee Sutton not to be telling porkie pies.

Oh well, if you can't trust the BBC these days, what can you expect from the Sun?

- SJH

From here: http://www.phuketcampground.com/tsunamis_pictures01.htm :-

Tsunami at Phuket Campground , Maikhaobeach. Phuket Thai land 

Sunday 26 December 2004...10.00 am

We survived the 26 dec 2004 Tsunami, with no one badly hurt (including the dogs and cats)

That moring I 'm walking from my farm to my campground ,and I glanced to the beach .

That day the sea color was very beautiful but it had some strange changes.? as I walked to the beach,

Never had seen a white stripe in the sea befor,(that is the sand) Along the sea next to Mai Khao far away from the beach approximately 200 m.there was what looked like a long rock where the sea water came down very fast and the sand was adrift.And then I came back for my camera.and call my guests and Tim " let's go to the beach to see a fantastic sea"

That time I don't know what was happening. In just a minute the water came up and then came into my campsite.

RUN.! RUN.! RUN.!.....

Why the Mai khao Beach was not damaged too much.? because....

1. Sea level here down from the land crest is 6.90 m.

2. Too much slope and deep water.

3.Straight beach with 17km. beach front. Patong is a bay.

4.Approximately 200 m. from the beach has abreakwater . (like a shelter)

5.We have a lowlands area behind the campground for the water to drain into

6.Lucky and fast running.

with love Oh and Tim

Is this near where Tilly Smith was?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this story in the United States two weeks ago. My husband is a college natural science professor. It is part of teaching about earthquakes to teach about tsunamis. I KNOW* that the ocean runs out preceeding a tsunami and the nearest I am to an ocean is about 1500 miles! I sat in a few of his classes and I remember him talking about it.

I totally believe this account of this little girl! It is something that very well could have happened.

She is to be praised for keeping a cool head and warning others while she had the chance.

Cindy

• 4 years later...

Hey I live in USA and saw this story on ABC and it was so inspirational that I googled it and got this page! If u get a chain letter, I started it just now!!! She is a teen now, and they interviewed her and everything!!! Hey, google ABC tilly tsunami survivor

It was really good!

-nat

Hey I live in USA and saw this story on ABC and it was so inspirational that I googled it and got this page! If u get a chain letter, I started it just now!!! She is a teen now, and they interviewed her and everything!!! Hey, google ABC tilly tsunami survivor

It was really good!

-nat

and only 4 years old.