Advantages of residence

Hi All,

Found this on the Phuket Gazette Web Page:-

-----------------------------------------------------

Advantages of residence

I am married to a Thai and we have a five-year-old daughter. I have held a work permit for seven years and have been living in Thailand for eight. What documents do I need to apply for a residence permit? What are the advantages of having one? Where and when can I apply?

Friday, August 29, 2003 Maureen Ezendam, Phuket.

------------------------------------------------------

“You may apply for a residence permit if you have a one-year visa that you have extended at an Immigration office [inside Thailand] for a minimum period of three years. If you have been leaving the country every three months for visa renewals, you are not eligible to apply.

The documents required vary depending on the grounds for application.

The residence permit allows you to stay in the country indefinitely. You may not own land or vote, and if you are employed you will still need a work permit.

If you have a residence permit you may come and go from Thailand as often as you please and for as long as you please, so long as you return at least once a year.

The application period begins in late November. Please note that new fees went into effect on August 26. The new application fee is 7,600 baht. If your application is approved, you will be charged 95,700 for the residence book.

Note: Additional information on this topic is available at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=24

Friday, August 29, 2003 Pol Capt Krissarat Nusen, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.

--------------------------------------------------------

This is from Kan Win:-

Word of Caution about the above statement.

Quote from the above:

If you have a residence permit you may come and go from Thailand as often as you please and for as long as you please, so long as you return at least once a year.

Kan Win:

This is true as long as you have the following:-

This is written on the front of the Certificate of Residence  (in Thai and in English):-

See page 21

On page  21

1. “A Residence Certificate is a permanent  validity but it automatically expires when the holder leaves  Thailand, unless an endorsement has been made and sealed on the document by a competent Immigration Officer at an Immigration Office before departure. If the holder of an endorsed Residence Certificate returns to Thailand within one year from the date of endorsement such Residence Certificate shall still be considered valid.

-------------------------------------------------------

end of quote.

Kan Win: It was the “endorsement “ that was not mentioned in this article in the Phuket Gazette. That was my Caution.

Hope it helps someone not to loose theirs R.C.

Kan Win