Boy Kidnapped From Thai Hospital

mffun

Boy kidnapped from Thai hospital

From correspondents in Stockholm

January 3, 2005

A 12-year-old Swedish boy injured in the tsunami that struck South-East

Asia may have been kidnapped from a hospital in Thailand, a Swedish newspaper has reported.

Swedish and Thai police are cooperating to find the boy, Kristian Walker, the Expressen reported.

Kristian_Walker_sav_175212c.jpg

"Kristian was here in the hospital. He was taken away by a man," the paper quoted Kampongsree Somprutthana, a hospital doctor, as saying.

Kristian's father, Dan Walker, and his grandfather, Daniel Walker, found several witnesses who recognised the boy who mysteriously disappeared from the hospital 30km from Khao Lak, one of Thailand's worst-hit holiday resorts.

The man he may have left with was described as "European-looking, with a moustache and a red shirt".

Two Swedish police officers are on their way to Thailand to help find Kristian, the newspaper reported, quoting police sources.

The report comes a day after the Swedish branch of non-governmental organisation Save the Children, Raedda Barnen, warned that children who ended up alone after the natural disaster were potential targets for sexual abuse by pedophiles.

"The experience from other catastrophes is that children are particularly vulnerable," Raedda Barnen managing director Charlotte Petri Gornitzka told a news conference.

There were already "indications" that surviving children had been sexually abused in Sri Lanka, one of the countries suffering worst from the tsunami, Ms Petri Gornitzka said.

Agence France-Presse

http://www.news.com.au

http://washingtontimes.com

Edited by Darknight

The way this world carries on, it shocks me daily. How low can the human race reach?

It's gotten so bad that the Swedish and Norwegian authorities have stopped publishing names of the victims as thieves are ripping off their houses back in Scandinavia. :o

This post is really getting to me. I am so shocked by it !

Maybe the admins could move it to a more "high traffic" area of the board or make it a feature on the front page.

Any news or sightings should be reported to the police and update us here.

I am sure many of us would be prepared to travel anywhere even if it is a small chance it is actually him. I am going to Khao Lak tomorrow, so although a slim chance, I will be on the lookout for him - the photo has helped - why isnt it not on international news???

anyone in Khao Lak now that can distirbute this photo or anyone have any further updates???

what hospital? where is it?

urgency is required on all fronts by everyone - get looking!

The man he may have left with was described as "European-looking, with a moustache and a red shirt". anyone see this guy on their travels to Khao Lak, moustaches are not common and neither is a red shirt....... think...

Edited by Tornado

My husband read about it in the Thai papers, hopefully they will put his photo on the front page of the Thai papers as well as the Bangkok Post and The Nation. Absolutely sickening.

My husband read about it in the Thai papers, hopefully they will put his photo on the front page of the Thai papers as well as the Bangkok Post and The Nation. Absolutely sickening.

I read about this boy several days ago in Swedish papers.

His two siblings were found.

While searching,the father almost missed his daughter.

Her appearance had changed so much that he walked passed her without recognizing her at first.

His other son was found with 'post traumatic stress disorder'.He was just sitting apathetically with a blank stare in his eyes.

It's not one hundred percent sure that it's this boy who's been seen with the adult.They rate it to 97%.

One thing I don't understand is why that man would bring the boy back to hospital several times eventhough he isn't injured.

Anybody knows?

Snowleopard

Govt insists on safeguards to prevent child-snatching

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai today insisted that the Thai government was taking seriously reports that children had been snatched from hospitals in the country's southern areas affected by last week’s tsunamis.

While denying detailed knowledge of rumours, Mr. Surakiart said that the government was working closely with hospitals to prevent human trafficking gangs from taking advantage of the situation.

Although he stressed that there was no firm indication that human trafficking gangs were targeting hospitals in Thailand, Mr. Surakiart called for better safeguards and intelligence systems in order to prevent such incidents.

He also noted that Thailand was prepared to care for the foreign children orphaned by the tsunamis.

--TNA 2005-01-05

Just read the story on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4144901.stm

He WAS injured apparantly, the guy (if that's who he's with) must have had a lot of guts to take him back to the hospital twice if he was planning to leave with him.

The Thai police think he might have been taken out of the country while people were leaving without passports - what a thought - he could be anywhere by now. They need to get his photo as much global coverage as possible asap.

Govt denies hospital kidnapping reports

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Public Health today denied media reports that a 12 year-old Swedish tsunami survivor had been kidnapped by human traffickers from a Thai hospital, saying that the boy’s name had never been on the hospital’s list of patients, and that the rumours had stemmed from a ‘misunderstanding’.

News organizations across the world yesterday published news claiming that Kristian Walker, whose mother was killed by last week's tsunamis in southern Thailand, had been snatched from Thai Muang Hospital in Phang-nga Province by child sex traffickers.

But Dr. Vichai Tienthavorn, Permanent Secretary for Public Health, said today that he had checked with both provincial public health officials and the hospital’s director, and could confirm that the boy’s name had not appeared on the hospital’s inpatient or outpatient list.

Insisting that the ministry was taking seriously the issue of patient security, he said although staff working at the hospital had originally claimed to have recognised Kristian Walker from a photograph, detailed examination proved that they were wrong.

There are currently only two foreigners being treated in Phang-nga’s hospitals, and both are adults.

Dr. Pipat Yingseree, Deputy Permanent Secretary for Public Health, confirmed today that despite the scope of the disaster, hospital officials had drawn up outpatient cards for all the tsunami survivors receiving medical treatment, which stated clearly their names and nationalities.

He also stressed that no child receiving treatment would be discharged from hospital until their parent or guardian claimed them, and that proof of the parents or guardians' identities was required before the discharge could take place.

In the case of foreign children, their embassies would also have to be contacted.

“There is no way that a child would be allowed out of hospital alone. Officials at all hospitals in the tsunami affected areas have adhered strictly to these guidelines”, Dr. Pipat said.

--TNA 2005-01-05

kristianwalker.jpg

German cleared in hunt for missing tsunami boy

05/01/2005 - 10:06:27 AM

A German man sought following the disappearance of a 12-year-old Swedish tsunami victim in Thailand has been cleared after being interviewed by police.

A child matching the description of the Swedish boy went missing from a hospital in southern Thailand a day after the tsunami struck.

His family fears he may have been kidnapped after being last seen with an unidentified foreign man leaving the hospital.

German Stephan Kaley went to a police station after hearing reports that a boy matching the description of 12-year-old Kristian Walker may have been snatched from a hospital, police Sergeant Vichai Boonruen said.

Vichai said police had confirmed Kaley’s account that he helped reunite two German boys with their parents and a Swedish youth with his mother.

“We have ruled out the theory that this man kidnapped anyone,” Vichai said.

Kristian and his mother have been missing since the tsunami hit Thailand. His grandfather, American Daniel Walker, had been going around with photos of Kristian, and doctors at Taimuang hospital in badly hit Phang Nga province said they had seen a boy who looked like him come in for treatment for water in his ears.

Lieutenant Colonel Preecha Klaewthanong, chief investigator of the case, said Kaley lives not far from the hospital and apparently had been helping out during the tragedy.

“He gave us full cooperation to clear up all the confusion, so we have no right to charge or detain him,” Preecha said.

Kristian had been on holiday with his mother Madeleine, who is still missing, along with bother David, 14, and sister Anna, seven, who were found and are back home in Sweden.

Two Swedish police officers have been assisting in the investigation.

In the wake of the devastating tsunami, there have been unconfirmed reports of dozens of orphaned children being taken by unidentified people, some of them possibly child traffickers.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/01/05/story183280.html#

Mystery of missing Swedish tsunami boy deepens

05/01/2005 - 11:44:00 AM

The mystery surrounding the disappearance of a 12-year-old Swedish tsunami deepened today when a German was cleared of any suspicion of abduction and officials said the boy had not treated at any Thai hospital.

A child matching the description of Kristian Walker was seen leaving Taimuang hospital, in devastated Phang Nga province, a day after the tsunami struck. He was last seen with an unidentified foreign man leaving the hospital.

But police said today that the man, German Stephan Kaley, has been cleared after questioning. Sergeant Vichai Boonruen said police had confirmed Kaley’s account that he helped reunite two German boys with their parents and a Swedish youth with his mother.

“We have ruled out the theory that this man kidnapped anyone,” Vichai said.

Vichai Thienthavorn, permanent secretary of the Public Health Ministry, said that Kristian never showed up in Taimuang or any other hospital in Thailand.

“The reports about the disappearance of the boy might have resulted from a misunderstanding,” he said. “We have make thorough checks of the records, and no such name arrived at any hospital,” Vichai said.

Kristian and his mother have been missing since the tsunami hit Thailand. His grandfather, American Daniel Walker, had been going around with photos of Kristian, and doctors at Taimuang hospital in badly hit Phang Nga province said they had seen a boy who looked like him come in for treatment for water in his ears.

Kristian had been on holiday with his mother Madeleine, who is still missing, along with bother David, 14, and sister Anna, seven, who were found and are back home in Sweden.

Two Swedish police officers have been assisting in the investigation.

In the wake of the devastating tsunami, there have been unconfirmed reports of dozens of orphaned children being taken by unidentified people, some of them possibly child traffickers.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/01/05/story183296.html#

Presumably the German man is saying that the Swedish boy that he tried to help find his mother was a different Swedish boy altogether then? The police don't say definitively whether they have ruled out the boy being at the hospital as a result of finding this guy or as a result of the staff re-studying the picture so it's not clear. Either way it is confusing as to whether he is assumed dead or whether he may have been kidnapped. All the talk about child trafficking is suspiciously timed with the BBC report that focussed on Indonesia, that is not to say that it is not a real danger.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4145591.stm

Edited for dodgy spelling.

Edited by naomisri

Yes, but the fact that BBC published this article is not necessarily suspicious. It could of been published because this boy disappeared alongside the other horrors that are besetting orphaned children at the moment.

“The reports about the disappearance of the boy might have resulted from a misunderstanding,” he said. “We have make thorough checks of the records, and no such name arrived at any hospital,” Vichai said"

Ok, misunderstanding, maybe - but where is the boy? First multiple people saw him, and then suddenly he was never there - which is it?

But nevermind - don't count on getting straight answers.

99% of newspaper stories are exaggerated and distorted in some manner and mistakes are 'often' made

Isn't 99% also an exaggeration? :o

Snowleopard

Errrrmmm... maybe, but in my personal experience of newspaper articles written about me... it was actually 100% of the time they exaggerated, or distorted the facts. :D

hmmm, so WHO are you really, Ravisher? :D One can only guess.

Glad we agree for a change :D

back to the top!

So why I can't see any of your responses here, Tornado? as I've suspected, you like only fuss, and don't even bother to follow up the developements of the very story you condisdered SO IMPORTANT !

you can read the thread :

Boy 'not Kidnapped' In Thailand

or the original article on BBC website:

Boy 'not kidnapped' in Thailand

but somehow I get the feeling that you won't even bother to open either of those URLs....

I suspect you are one of fans of that paranoia which one member in that thread "Boy 'not Kidnapped' In Thailand" has mentioned about:

The_Moog

Yesterday, 2005-01-06 10:45:24

The root of this story is a UK paranoia of paedophiles. Journalists know they can get a story if they try to raise the possibility of paedophile involvement.

Not long ago, as a result of a UK newspaper's story, a mob went after a 'paediatrician' (a Doctor specializing in child medicine), as the mob was of low IQ and got confused by her job title.

now let me see - what would be the next fuss you'll jump "to the top" of !

P.S. read my PM - not relevent to post it here

back to the top!

So why I can't see any of your responses here, Tornado? as I've suspected, you like only fuss, and don't even bother to follow up the developements of the very story you condisdered SO IMPORTANT !

you can read the thread :

Boy 'not Kidnapped' In Thailand

or the original article on BBC website:

Boy 'not kidnapped' in Thailand

but somehow I get the feeling that you won't even bother to open either of those URLs....

I suspect you are one of fans of that paranoia which one member in that thread "Boy 'not Kidnapped' In Thailand" has mentioned about:

The_Moog

Yesterday, 2005-01-06 10:45:24

The root of this story is a UK paranoia of paedophiles. Journalists know they can get a story if they try to raise the possibility of paedophile involvement.

Not long ago, as a result of a UK newspaper's story, a mob went after a 'paediatrician' (a Doctor specializing in child medicine), as the mob was of low IQ and got confused by her job title.

now let me see - what would be the next fuss you'll jump "to the top" of !

P.S. read my PM - not relevent to post it here

Sorry I havent been oline Colonel Klink, Ive been in Khao Lak :D

If you are wanting a trolling award, you might just get it. stop it now BTW as you are looking like an idiot. :o Darknight, give your boy a slap and tell him that us Southern People are actually out helping with this disaster and we dont have time to argue with idiots sitting in a chair in Bangkok telling us how bad it is here. It seems he is following me around this board like a lost dog.

back on topic.

I went to Khao Lak and some areas close to it and asked about the boy. The reports are conflicting and I have no report on him being taken or not, as the local police and even the BBC reporters who I spoke to, still have nothing concrete.

The boys picture is on every bulletin board and we can only hope the grandfather gets closure soon.

It was an emotional 4 days and I feel for them all up there.

If you are wanting a trolling award, you might just get it. stop it now BTW as you are looking like an idiot.  :o  Darknight, give your boy a slap and tell him that us Southern People are actually out helping with this disaster and we dont have time to argue with idiots sitting in a chair in Bangkok telling us how bad it is here. It seems he is following me around this board like a lost dog.

wow,! you followed up this thread nevertheless, even after news that boy isn't kidnapped...

and trolling award - nice title ! But I think it is you who gonna get it though. oh, HERO of relief work and GENUIS of Forum posts and SAVIOUR of kidnapped boys (who weren't kidnapped :D:D ) !

by the way - I wasn't following you here - I just wanted to read this thread - because BTW you've kindly recommended to do so, coz according to you it was very important and because I also feel for children, even while mine being an idiot .... and it is too boring to follow you around anyway - my IQ after all isn't that high as yours, you should remember - I just can't keep up with the tremendous flight of your thought ! ....

P.S. do you have a laptop with wireless internet connection in the midst of that whole carnage there, while sitting on the bare floor in the middle of wreckage , cutting few minutes off your rest in short intervals between your tiresome heroic work ? please, do not reply to my this post - don't waste your valuable time on idiot like me - keep up your heroic relief work there ! :D

Edited by aaaaaa

If you are wanting a trolling award, you might just get it. stop it now BTW as you are looking like an idiot.  :o  Darknight, give your boy a slap and tell him that us Southern People are actually out helping with this disaster and we dont have time to argue with idiots sitting in a chair in Bangkok telling us how bad it is here. It seems he is following me around this board like a lost dog.

wow,! you followed up this thread nevertheless, even after news that boy isn't kidnapped...

and trolling award - nice title ! But I think it is you who gonna get it though. oh, HERO of relief work and GENUIS of Forum posts and SAVIOUR of kidnapped boys (who weren't kidnapped :D:D ) !

by the way - I wasn't following you here - I just wanted to read this thread - because BTW you've kindly recommended to do so, coz according to you it was very important and because I also feel for children, even while mine being an idiot .... and it is too boring to follow you around anyway - my IQ after all isn't that high as yours, you should remember - I just can't keep up with the tremendous flight of your thought ! ....

P.S. do you have a laptop with wireless internet connection in the midst of that whole carnage there, while sitting on the bare floor in the middle of wreckage , cutting few minutes off your rest in short intervals between your tiresome heroic work ? please, do not reply to my this post - don't waste your valuable time on idiot like me - keep up your heroic relief work there ! :D

dont feel inferior, get on a plane and come and help. :D round and round we go! :D