'War Room' To Counter Soaring Dengue Outbreak

george

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had dengue hemorraghic fever in 2007.I woke up feeling groggy,and kept blacking out,but only momentarily.After doing that in front of my wife,she got me to

hospital,where they decided it was probably the flu.I went home,but was admitted the same night.They couldn't say it was dengue straight off,but they suspected it was.They took my blood once or twice a day for tests,and I was given reports of an ever dwindling red blood count.When it was getting low,they told me not to

even brush my teeth in case I started bleeding.I never had a transfusion,but they were standing by in case.After about 5 or 6 days,my red blood count started going up,and I went home after about 7 days in hospital.I rested at home for another week before going back to work.I felt easily fatigued for a month after that.

If I'm right about where I was bitten,it was in Thonburi,around CharoenNakorn Road.If not,it was in Bangkok.

Thailand 'War room' to counter soaring dengue outbreak

bull292009-7074-1.jpg

The aedes aegypti mosquito is the transmission agent for

Dengue Fever. It bites humans between an hour or so after

dawn until about an hour after sunset.

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry has set up a national war room to control the spread of dengue fever across the country after learning the situation will be far worse than last year.

So far, 1,675 people have fallen victim to the fever this year, said the Minister, Witthaya Kaewparadai.

The ministry's deputy permanent secretary, Dr Paijit Warachit will chair the war room - teaming up with agencies including the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Health Department, the World Health Organisation, and a joint activity of the Ministry of Public Health of Thailand and the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to monitor the spread of disease within Thailand and neighbouring countries.

They will meet at least once a week to keep a close watch on any possible outbreak.

Wittaya added he has assigned all provincial public health offices, local administration organisations and health volunteers to strictly control and monitor the transmission of dengue fever in local areas.

Local authorities have been advised to spray insecticide to eradicate the adult aedes aegypti mosquito, which bites humans in the daytime.

Residents should drain off any stagnant water to prevent mosquitoes from breeding and use abates sand, a pesticide, to destroy their larvae.

Citing Bureau of Epidemiology records, Paijit said in January this year, 1675 people had been infected with dengue fever and two had died. The figure for the same period last year was 1,553 dengue fever cases reported and two lives lost.

The Central region was the hardest hit with 886 patients, the Southern region suffered the second worst outbreak with 546 patients and Bangkok, 303. Songkhla, Pattani, and Yala were the worst affected provinces. Nearly half the patients this year were over 15 years old.

Last year saw a total of 91,003 patients, with 65,581 cases in 2007.

In a bid for early detection of dengue fever infection, Wittaya said he has asked the Department of Medical Services to study a test kit to screen patients.

This month the Department of Disease Control will organise meetings to brainstorm on prevention and control planning in 30 high risk areas nation-wide.

Wittaya has asked the public to keep a close watch on people in their households and nurseries. If anyone develops a high fever over a two-day period, they should be taken to a doctor.

-- The Nation 2009-02-09

:oThat all sounds so professional. But the truth is that the most citizens don't even know what the symptoms are. The sad thing is that the poor will suffer. And if anybody has got this disease would the doctors really make the right Diagnosis ? Treatment? Just go to a rural area and try to see a doctor....after 5 hours waiting you'll go home with a plastic bag full of medicine. Of course Amoxicillin, and other counterfeiting stuff......

post-39518-1234195180_thumb.jpg

GF and I caught it two years ago in Phuket. Not a fun time. We were both sick for 6 days each . Pain, coughing, fever, etc. Her brother caught it a month before and was hospitalized. Came close to dying. Very serious disease not to be taken lightly with jokes and wise remarks.

Don't laugh but one possible eradication method would be to "radiate" millions of male aedes aegypti mosquito and release them into the areas affected. Can't fertilize the females and the population dies off. Very successful in other countries. Takes time to create the population of sterile males but well worth the effort. Has to be repeated for several years. The size of Thailand makes it extremely difficult but if breeding sites were to be spread around the country and a "real" effort made, it would work. The "radiation" equipment poses no danger to humans although many uneducated people will insist it does. You get more radiation from the sun than the equipment. Thailand could put people to work at the same time. Hope some one from the "war room" reads this.

Caught it many years ago in Bangkok - didn't know it was D until I started getting better after 5 day's and went to Sametived Hospital where they took a blood test and confirmed it was D - I asked the Doc what to do and he said nothing, your imune system has stopped it already. Boy, you get to know muscles you didn't even know you had - its not called "bone breaker" for nothing - high feever and servere muscle and joint ake - you also develop a rush - in all most unpleasant. There is no treatment since it is a viral infection so, NO point in taking anti-biotics. Paracetamol for the feever and pain and some anti- inflamatory drug that doesn't thin the blood are about all you can use to ease the suffering.

A up to scratch immune system will take care of it - I swear by 1 litre of good green chinese tea (leaves, not bags) like oolong a day every day. Has more vitamin C than the same amount of lemon juice - forget the pills, they don't work and only make the farmaceutical industry rich.

At the time there was construction going on next door to where I lived with the usual stagnand water all over the place. If you have any puddles of water on or near your place - old car tires are a special favorite for the mossy to breed but also open clay pots Thai's use to collect rain water and any other puddles that don't drain, remove or treat them. Am wondering why there is an increase now, wait till the rainy season, should be even more than.

One of my dogs loves/hates mossies, catches and eats them ... i'll keep her close by - the ones that spread D are actually quite big, slow and noisy and they don't come past her -

Edited by JohnBKKK

Sorry but I have no faith in this program. Dengue has been around for years, its nothing new. We did not wake up this morning and figure out there was a problem.

Stopping Dengue starts with education and peoples back yards. Teach people to beware of symptoms and fevers. 90% of Thai households do not even own a thermometer much less realize that the danger begins with children when the fever ends. There are so many useless people and agencies here in Thailand sitting around doing nothing, why not put these people out into the street collecting mosquitoes and seeking out troubled areas.

Last year my neighbor in a very expensive neighborhood set up a frog pond with giant frogs which filled with larvae. The mosquitoes were just pouring out of the thing but the owner of the neighborhood had no interest in the matter. Finally it started stinking so bad that he himself decided to get rid of the mess. Nobody here has any interest in taking responsibility and going door to door dumping out water that contains larvae and no fish. Its a simple matter to knock back fifty percent or more cases of this fever but it will never be handled, never.

Thailand 'War room' to counter soaring dengue outbreak

bull292009-7074-1.jpg

The aedes aegypti mosquito is the transmission agent for

Dengue Fever. It bites humans between an hour or so after

dawn until about an hour after sunset.

-- The Nation 2009-02-09

As far as I remember reading, aedes aegypti bite at any time of day or night. It is the anopheles mosquito that bites at dawn and dusk (responsible for malaria).

There is no vaccine or preventive drug that provides protection against dengue infection. The best way to avoid dengue virus infection is to prevent mosquito bites, particularly during the day.

While most mosquitoes are more active during dusk and night time, Aedes aegypti mosquitoes are daytime biters so precautions against being bitten should also be taken during the day.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/pub...hp-fsdengue.htm

Please do some research on DDT. I know, I know, it's evil, but no one has ever died from it, even when they used to dump tons and tons of the stuff on crops. Hundreds of millions of human lives could have been saved with the use of DDT in the last few decades. Apparently, used wisely, there is no great harm done to the environment.

My conspiracy theorist friend maintains that DDT was banned to help depopulate the world. It certainly looks that way.

so how do they educate the public on mosquito control ?

television advertisements ?

radio advertisements ?

pamphlets ?

or a truck driving around spraying atomised diesel ?

I have only ever encountered one of the above.

Silly Boy - It's a war room - shoot everybody who dos'nt understand.

In many of the cities in Florida, where the mosquito is the State Bird, "malathion" is dispensed as a fog every night. For many years, the mozzies are no longer pests in the cities. Don't know the effect on flora and fauna, but I wonder if it'd be worth a shot here.

What about the effect on Humans??? What are the side affects know or unknown

Or does that explain why people from there are ...........

In vietnam they used Orange agent but I think that was used for something else

Agent orange is a defoliant used for deforestation and not an insecticide

I am staying in one of the "Villas" in Phuket and just moved there from a different "Villa" (bigger house etc.). There is a "stagnantish" lake at the entrance of this place and the mozzies are atrocious here. There seems to be no care involved. I believe that pouring kerosine on / into the water (lighter than water) will help prevent the lava as the kero floats on the top and they can't survive, simple but effective. Who do you contact to have something done ?

When I was working in New Guinea the concensus had become that fogging was not really effective as mozzies will hide under leaves etc (the locals showed me they come in out of the rain, under buildings etc.) surface sprays were being trialed before I left PNG as most mozzies land somewhere and the results seemed to indicate a more effective deterant. Surface sprays are good for 3 months as long as it is not in an area where it cops a lot of UV I believe.

Hope this helps :o

I live in an upland valley north of MaeRim/ChiangMai and came down with Dengue fever about this time last year. Felt suddenly ill on a Friday night; thought I had caught a cold or flu so I took Tylenol, Decologen (antihistamine), and Suladin (sp?) which my wife says is a strong cold/flu medication. (Always made me feel 'doped up' and worse but made me sleep well and feel better the next morning.) The next day, Sat., I knew I was really sick but have serious reservations about going to the hospital {anywhere} so I kept taking our home drugs and my wife got some antibiotics (blue capsules) & better pain pills (little pink pills) from a nurse-run medical clinic in our village. I had a raging headache, obvious fever, and every joint in my body hurt! But, no nasal congestion, runny nose, or typical cold/flu coughing...so I knew it was something else. Being stubborn, I figured I'd be okay soon and spent nearly all day and all night in my recliner because my joints hurt too much to lie on the bed. Sunday it seemed even worse so I told my wife to take me to the hospital if I wasn't better by Monday morning. I drifted in & out of conciousness, mostly brief fitful naps, for the second day and couldn't eat anything but oatmeal, soup, or 'milk toast'. Anyhow, about 4:00 AM Monday morning I woke up, still in the recliner, and was soaking wet. The fever had broken and I felt much better; the joint aches were much less, the headache was gone, and I knew I was going to make it to age 71! It was several more days before I began to feel well but I've had no reoccurrances of any of those symptoms.

I did a lot of research on the internet afterwards and discovered that there are four strains of dengue. The bad news is that you can 'catch' all four but the good news is that you won't be affected again by the strain you survive; and it is not likely that you will find more than one strain in the same general area. So, if you are bitten in your home area (as I was), you're likely immune from dengue if you don't travel to other outbreak areas. It is a very serious and nasty virus. I thought I might die that Sunday night...and hurt so much I didn't really care!

I watched a show , I think on National Geographic , about mosquitoes and thier prevelance in the Everglades , it also included leaches and ticks . It appears they have discovered a 'Super Skeeter ' that is about twice the size of the usual bzzzzzz in your ear ones we normally are accustomed to , they do not suck on humans , they eat all of the other types around . Some enlightened person should suggest the Thai powers that be , purchase several trillion of these and spread them around the provinces . :o

This might be the mosquito genus Toxorhynchites. They are nectar feeders and do not suck blood. The larvae prey on the

larvae of other mosquitoes. One species, T. spendens has been suggested to be introduced from its jungle habitat to urban

areas as a means of dengue control.

We have a "giant" mosquito here in Hawaii that does not bite. I was told it was introduced because it is cannibalistic. I am

not sure what variety it is, but it is huge.

if you do get Dengue fever I'd recommend drinking 500ml of good quality 15ppm strength colloidal silver over 1-3 days. This will really help to knock out the viral activity, but without any of the harmful side effects or toxicity of chemical anti-biotics. Coupled with 1-2 coffee enemas each day and, ideally, several hours each day on a good quality Rife machine/Beck Silver pulser or other frequency generator. Specific frequencies destroy harmful bacteria, fungus and virus without damaging health cells.

there are many effective and side-effect free treatments, unpromoted by the western mainstream 'drug medicine industry'.

Google : colloidal silver, Dr Royal Rife, SOTA instruments, hydrogen peroxide, Emotioanl Freedom Technique (EFT) and Oil Pulling

google video: Dr Royal Rife, Dr Bob Beck and The Use Ozone in Medicine

apply such treatments to eliminate serious diseases and radically improve ones overall health and vitality.

Hi there,

Dengue is definitely no joke. It can easily be fatal to children and the elderly. A guy I know in the Philippines almost lost his son to it.

To answer the question asked (a couple times?) about treatment:

What is the treatment for dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever?

There is no specific treatment for dengue. Persons with dengue fever should rest and drink plenty of fluids. They should be kept away from mosquitoes for the protection of others. Dengue hemorrhagic fever is treated by replacing lost fluids. Some patients need transfusions to control bleeding.

---------------------

Here's one thing I'd ask folks to consider. Give blood. The kids (especially) may need transfusions to help with the bleeding. I was over in Cambodia and their Children's hospital there had a couple billboards out begging for blood so I gave. Turned out very few locals give blood (fear of the needle? I don't know), so they have an acute shortage. If you are willing to give, you might save someone's life.

---------------------

If you have stagnant water, I'd recommend what people have been doing for years (if it's legal for you to do so) note: I'm not going to copy/paste the adult control, as methods have already been listed in this thread.

from: http://www.mosquito.org/mosquito-information/control.aspx

Homeowners can take the following steps to prevent mosquito breeding on their own property:

1. Destroy or dispose of tin cans, old tires, buckets, unused plastic swimming pools or other containers that collect and hold water. Do not allow water to accumulate in the saucers of flowerpots, cemetery urns or in pet dishes for more than 2 days.
  2. Clean debris from rain gutters and remove any standing water under or around structures, or on flat roofs. Check around faucets and air conditioner units and repair leaks or eliminate puddles that remain for several days.
  3. Change the water in birdbaths and wading pools at least once a week and stock ornamental pools with top feeding predacious minnows. Known as mosquito fish, these minnows are about 1 - 1-1/2 inches in length and can be purchased or native fish can be seined from streams and creeks locally. Ornamental pools may be treated with biorational larvicides [ Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. israelensis (Bti) or S-methoprene (IGR) containing products] under certain circumstances. Commercial products "Mosquito Dunks" and "Mosquito Bits" containing Bti can be purchased at many hardware/garden stores for homeowner use. Zodiac, a division of Wellmark International, has developed Pre-Strike Preventative Mosquito Control (PMC) product that kills developing mosquitoes using insect growth regulator (IGR) technology. Like Mosquito Dunks, Zodiac's Pre-Strike can be found at many home/garden and pet specialty stores.
  4. Fill or drain puddles, ditches and swampy areas, and either remove, drain or fill tree holes and stumps with mortar. These areas may be treated with Bti or methoprene products also.
  5. Eliminate seepage from cisterns, cesspools, and septic tanks.
  6. Eliminate standing water around animal watering troughs. Flush livestock water troughs twice a week.
  7. Check for trapped water in plastic or canvas tarps used to cover boats, pools, etc. Arrange the tarp to drain the water.
  8. Check around construction sites or do-it-yourself improvements to ensure that proper backfilling and grading prevent drainage problems.
  9. Irrigate lawns and gardens carefully to prevent water from standing for several days.
  10. If ditches do not flow and contain stagnant water for one week or longer, they can produce large numbers of mosquitoes. Report such conditions to a Mosquito Control or Public Health Office. Do not attempt to clear these ditches because they may be protected by wetland regulations.

------------

Stay healthy :o

Hi there,

Dengue is definitely no joke. It can easily be fatal to children and the elderly. A guy I know in the Philippines almost lost his son to it.

To answer the question asked (a couple times?) about treatment:

What is the treatment for dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever?

There is no specific treatment for dengue. Persons with dengue fever should rest and drink plenty of fluids. They should be kept away from mosquitoes for the protection of others. Dengue hemorrhagic fever is treated by replacing lost fluids. Some patients need transfusions to control bleeding.

---------------------

Here's one thing I'd ask folks to consider. Give blood. The kids (especially) may need transfusions to help with the bleeding. I was over in Cambodia and their Children's hospital there had a couple billboards out begging for blood so I gave. Turned out very few locals give blood (fear of the needle? I don't know), so they have an acute shortage. If you are willing to give, you might save someone's life.

---------------------

If you have stagnant water, I'd recommend what people have been doing for years (if it's legal for you to do so) note: I'm not going to copy/paste the adult control, as methods have already been listed in this thread.

from: http://www.mosquito.org/mosquito-information/control.aspx

Homeowners can take the following steps to prevent mosquito breeding on their own property:

1. Destroy or dispose of tin cans, old tires, buckets, unused plastic swimming pools or other containers that collect and hold water. Do not allow water to accumulate in the saucers of flowerpots, cemetery urns or in pet dishes for more than 2 days.
  2. Clean debris from rain gutters and remove any standing water under or around structures, or on flat roofs. Check around faucets and air conditioner units and repair leaks or eliminate puddles that remain for several days.
  3. Change the water in birdbaths and wading pools at least once a week and stock ornamental pools with top feeding predacious minnows. Known as mosquito fish, these minnows are about 1 - 1-1/2 inches in length and can be purchased or native fish can be seined from streams and creeks locally. Ornamental pools may be treated with biorational larvicides [ Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. israelensis (Bti) or S-methoprene (IGR) containing products] under certain circumstances. Commercial products "Mosquito Dunks" and "Mosquito Bits" containing Bti can be purchased at many hardware/garden stores for homeowner use. Zodiac, a division of Wellmark International, has developed Pre-Strike Preventative Mosquito Control (PMC) product that kills developing mosquitoes using insect growth regulator (IGR) technology. Like Mosquito Dunks, Zodiac's Pre-Strike can be found at many home/garden and pet specialty stores.
  4. Fill or drain puddles, ditches and swampy areas, and either remove, drain or fill tree holes and stumps with mortar. These areas may be treated with Bti or methoprene products also.
  5. Eliminate seepage from cisterns, cesspools, and septic tanks.
  6. Eliminate standing water around animal watering troughs. Flush livestock water troughs twice a week.
  7. Check for trapped water in plastic or canvas tarps used to cover boats, pools, etc. Arrange the tarp to drain the water.
  8. Check around construction sites or do-it-yourself improvements to ensure that proper backfilling and grading prevent drainage problems.
  9. Irrigate lawns and gardens carefully to prevent water from standing for several days.
  10. If ditches do not flow and contain stagnant water for one week or longer, they can produce large numbers of mosquitoes. Report such conditions to a Mosquito Control or Public Health Office. Do not attempt to clear these ditches because they may be protected by wetland regulations.

------------

Stay healthy :o

Informative, Thank You

Please do some research on DDT. I know, I know, it's evil, but no one has ever died from it, even when they used to dump tons and tons of the stuff on crops. Hundreds of millions of human lives could have been saved with the use of DDT in the last few decades. Apparently, used wisely, there is no great harm done to the environment.

My conspiracy theorist friend maintains that DDT was banned to help depopulate the world. It certainly looks that way.

well that plan certainly worked then !

I believe a War On Mosquitos should be announced to prevent Thailand becoming a Mosquito Hub, any mosquitos or people caught associating with mosquitos should be shot.

They should be given a choice first:

"To either be in support of the War on Mosquitos or against" like GW Bush did on the War on Terror. :o

OUCH!! What was that!? Pesky MOSQUITOS!!!

But what a wonderful thought.... Thailand WITHOUT MOSQUITOS!!! Just when I thought it couldn't get any better.

If you think you may have dengue fever, be careful where you go to check.

After having told the "doctor" at the local hospital that I suspected dengue fever, he assured me there was no trace of dengue, but that I had a sexually transmitted disease

4 hours later I was in a private hospital with hemoraghic dengue fever!

Just back from Bangkok where we were attacked by many many mosquitoes. They particularly liked biting my 10 month old baby, who would struggle to fight off dengue fever.

The problem is that there is stagnant water and junk containing stagnant water everywhere - lots and lots of mosquito breeding sites provided by lazy humans. Plus all the natural stagnant water in swamps etc

Thai people refuse to clean this up. Even when I mention this to educated intelligent Thai friends, they seem to think "no" "there are mosquitoes and nothing can be done to fix it". They won't do anything about this. ??????? Ha ha - they also won't close doors after them, and so the mosquitoes go in their houses. The solutions are very easy but there seems to be some mental block stopping Thai people seeing it.

???????????????????

I believe a War On Mosquitos should be announced to prevent Thailand becoming a Mosquito Hub, any mosquitos or people caught associating with mosquitos should be shot.

Hmmm . . . I seem to remember a very sane and sensible world conference on dengue held on Phuket last year. Lots of experts came from everywhere. They didn't suggest we should be alarmed, just act sensibily. Could The Nation and its cohorts be overdosing on something? Perhaps the army has intervened yet again? Put the mosquitoes on boats, shove them offshore . . . no problem.

Does regular mosquito repellant spray work at preventing getting bit? Like Deet?

I've had dengue here in Chiang Mai about ten years ago; the onset of the disease (four to six days after the infecting bite) for me, as is the case for many other people, was incredibly dramatic : I went from feeling fine to feeling deathly ill in the space of thirty minutes.

In late 2008 Chiang Mai media were reporting the dengue fever rate in northern Thailand as ten times "normal" :

Rates of Dengue in northern Thailand and Chiang Mai

Once you have it, the incubation period for its full spread throughout your body is about seven days : the good news is that if your red blood cell count stays high enough through the seventh day you will survive; the bad news is that if your red-blood cell count gets low enough you are in mortal danger of "dengue hemorraghic fever": of things like your blood being so thin it can perfuse into your luings, your eyes, etc., and you will certainly require hospitalization and transfusions if that is the case.

Dengue is carried by the older females of species Aedes Egyptus, a fact some Australian researchers are now trying to exploit via developing a virus that attacks same :

Australian Dengue Research develops virus to attack carriers

There are several strains of Dengue, and getting one and surviving that one does NOT give you cross-immunity to the other strains.

A friend living here in Chiang Mai contracted dengue on a trip to Buriram last year; following his return here he was interviewed by a local governmental organization dedicated to dengue control, and he tells me that actions were taken in the area of Buriram he visiited to spray for dengue control.

I grew up in the northern part of the state of Florida in the US, by the way, and remember as a boy (in the 1950's) chasing with other kids after what we called the "smogger," which came around spraying clouds of whatever about twice a week in the summer (wet season) : undoubtedly breathing in large quantities of whatever they were spraying helped make me the mutant I am today :D

At that time Florida did not have Dengue : I read that last year 18 people in Florida had it. But there is no doubt that Dengue is the fastest spreading arbovirus (mosquito-carried) virus in the world.

~o:37;

Yeah, while holidaying in Ciang Mai I coped Dengue . I was sick as a dog

One minute I would be sick in fever and the next I was in water (sweathing)

My blood count was very low... red cell , but I survive. I was taken to BKK-Patayya hospital for 2 days...as you can see I am ok now, but I wils sh... my self as I am going to Ubon Ratchathany at the end of mont.

Does anyone know , what is the situation in West Thailand? please or it is same all over? :o

My husband had it in 1992 and it is not fun. There is a prophalactic available though. It is from the Blue Turtle Group. Just google it. We bought their product for Malaria as we were going into an malarial area in South Africa for a few weeks. My youngest daughter contracted it and the same remedy is used to kill the virus too. It worked well and I have full faith in the product. As we are heading for Krabi soon, I will definately be buying some . that and a good , natural spray.

doesn't make sense to give yourself cancer while trying to avoid getting dengue fever !!! All these smog sprays scare the hel_l out of me.

Hmmm . . . I seem to remember a very sane and sensible world conference on dengue held on Phuket last year. Lots of experts came from everywhere. They didn't suggest we should be alarmed, just act sensibily. Could The Nation and its cohorts be overdosing on something? Perhaps the army has intervened yet again? Put the mosquitoes on boats, shove them offshore . . . no problem.

Jai yin yin. I am not scared because the Thai experts are brainstorming a solution. Also, they have a mosquito war room. Think about it, what chance does a mindless disease have against these kinds of resources?

Do like Singapore does ... It is forbidden by law to breed mosquitoes ! :o

Not only that, they actually enforce the law. A neighbour of mine has a huge stagnant pond outside of which the authorities periodically place huge posters warning of mosquitoes. But the pond is never drained!

What a show! The poisons they spray against the mosquitos make me more anger than the "dengue-fever", it's for showing that they do everything...Two people die, sorry about this, but now 10.000 give one day or more, having poison in the air, the water the ground. That's a war that human never win, frogs and birds are better armed for this.

Get some mosquito killer packets from your local council offfice. My local council gave this stuff out last year free. Its a powder you put in any open water containers that can potentialy breed mosquitos. Stinks ,but effective and non toxic.

As a kid gowing up in North Queensland Australia, along side the ross river it was a very real and dangerous disease. Everyone knew somebody with either Ross river fever or dangue. We used to get educated by John williemson on T.V about dangue prevention.

Best thing you can do is stop the mossies breeding around your house, our local council used to hire crop dusters to spray the swamps, cant really see that happening around here for awhile though as thailand is a big swamp mostly.

Look out for the mossies with white legs!

"Stop dangue now ay"