Penang visa run tips please

Hi Everyone

Can anyone provide any "1-liner" tips on a Visa run (tourist) to Penang ?

So far I am planning to get a 2nd class sleeper (with Thai GF) from Hualamphong to Butterworth.  Then I will.......????

I'd be v.grateful for any pointers on:

Malaysian Visa requirements (UK and Thai citizen)

Travel from Butterworth to Penang

Location of Thai Consulate/Embassy

Convenient mid-range hotel

Currency

Anything else which may be of help

Many T.I.A

Dan.

No visa requirement for Malaysia.  You will both receive stamps at border and should exchange some money there - train stops for about an hour.

Depart train at Butterworth (end of the line) and proceed to the left as you enter station and walk to ferry (overhead walkway).  You will have to obtain small change for toll at booth so that is reason to have some Malay money.  Ferry takes you to Georgtown, Penang and run every few minutes.

At Georgetown depart ferry and follow crowd.  You can get a taxi or pedicab to take you to hotels (agree on price first).  Should probably be in the 5-10 ringet range to hotel area.  It is not that far but one way roads take you in a round about way.  I always liked Hotel Continental on Jalian Penang when with wife.  It is mid range and popular with business travelers and near the tourist areas.  Most of the mid range hotels are in this immediate area so you can pick and chose.  You could also stay outside of town on the beach but prices are higher and beach not that great.  Believe you will both frid Georgetown interesting and be sure to take a pedicab ride in the evening (but fix price first and use someone from a hotel queue).

The Thai Consulate is a fair distance from the business area and would recommend taking taxi.  They bargain rates and believe about 10-15 ringets normal (it has been some time so not sure).  You should have him wait as the process only takes a few minutes and is in a residential area so no passing taxi's like here.  Visa applications are accepted in morning and believe hours are 0900-1200.

There are many money changers around that take baht or whatever you have.

Lopburi pretty much gave you the full picture Danbo.

But one thing you should check out before you leave is that you won't be in Penang during either a Malaysian or Thai national holiday, as the consulate will be closed.

If you're planning to be in Penang for just enough time to get a new visa this is worth checking first.

In regards to the "double entry" everybody normally gets in Penang, are they still issuing them?

Can you still use the services on Chulian St. where they send out your passport for you? Has anybody actually done this since all the new changes took effect in August?

I was informed by Immigration in Mae Sai one week ago that they wish me to apply for a "proper" visa. (this was after viewing my 7 consecutive 30 day tourist stamps).

Obtaining a "proper" visa is not currently an option for me so I'm hoping for a double entry in Penang. Comments, advice or suggestions appreciated.

regarding the visa process at the Georgetown Thai consulate you make your application in the morning then retrieve your passport and visa afternoon of the next day. Good info for logistical purposes like travel tickets and etc.

I tried the Bayview City Inn in Georgetown and was pleased...nice big room with room service and not too expensive...about $30 per night. If you like Indian food be sure to cruise Jalan Penang for excellent tandoori chicken and naan bread...the street food is a lot better than what you get at the hotel buffet and at a fraction of the cost. Be aware that drinks prices are expensive $3-4 for a glass of beer in a bar. Best to buy at the supermarket and drink back at the hotel room. There is a big shopping center at the bottom of Jalan Penang.

cheers

markt...get outta here...I haven't been in a hotel in the world that objects to bringing in booze from outside...what are you supposed to do with your duty free when you check in? Just be cool, order up mixers and ice from room service and OK. The room service and housekeeping staff always see that I got my own stash and never say a word.

The Leith Bar is what I wanted to warn the thread initiator about...charged me $3 equivalent for a small bottle of Bier Chang!! It's a nice place and you can get laid but...sheesh. Definitely not cool when all you want to do is get your visa renewed. Maybe OK for other tourist type purposes.

All the best