The Real Death Toll?

Ned

Murmurs already from southern locals who reckon the true cost in human lives in the tragedy are closer to 20,000 than five to ten. How many thousands of people lived in small villages between Ranong and Satun?.......near the water's edge.

I also read in george's post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...4042&hl=burmese

and someone else's post about the Burmese legal and illegal workers - imagine the minefield in identifying people who aren't even supposed to be there let alone how the Thai government will deal with releasing sensitive information about illegal workers.

My husband's answer would be that he could tell the difference beween the Thai people (he's Thai) and the Burmese just by looking at them (?!), but due to the state of decay loads of these people will never be identified. I imagine they can tell by the DNA whether they are of Burmese or Thai origin or am I being to basic??

Sad for their families who won't get to put their loved ones to rest.

N

I also read in  george's post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...4042&hl=burmese

I imagine they can tell by the DNA whether they are of Burmese or Thai origin or am I being to basic??

Highly unlikely. Both ethnic Burmese and ethnic Thais include assimilated Mon, so it can't work. The best you could hope for would be an unreliable indication, with a high probability of being wrong. Thais are quite a mixed bunch - I know of Thais with an admixture of both Burmese and Portuguese!

Curiously, though, you might hope to distinguish Swedish men from Danish and German men!