Best Value Meal In Bangkok

onethailand

I had posted in another thread about the Victory Monument area regarding a restaurant in Century Movie Plaza called Izumi. Take the BTS to Victory Monument, take the Century Movie Plaza exit and walk straight into the building (2nd floor) - walk past the escalators, it is in the corner past the coffee shop (green with Japanese lettering in white, no English sign).

Anyhow, I'd also met with jfchandler yesterday over an average Japanese meal, and had told him about Izumi - but decided I would go and try it again today myself - this time with a photo.

The price of this meal was 49 baht. (yes, you read that right, 49 baht) - but only available between noon and 3 pm. In front is a bowl of rice topped with barbecue beef (you can choose pork) - unlike any other place I've been, there's always meat left after finishing the rice. Don't expect Thai-French for 49 baht, but this is still dam_n good.

They also have a deal for 109 baht (same hours) where you get two plates of meat to barbecue yourself over a charcoal grill, rice, drink (Coke or green tea), fruit, miso soup, and a Japanese salad.

I don't know of any food court or even street-side stalls where you can get a bowl/plate of rice and a Coke for less than 50 baht - so I'd say that this is absolutely the best value meal in Bangkok.

post-15263-1234254976_thumb.jpg

Edited by onethailand

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had posted in another thread about the Victory Monument area regarding a restaurant in Century Movie Plaza called Izumi. Take the BTS to Victory Monument, take the Century Movie Plaza exit and walk straight into the building (2nd floor) - walk past the escalators, it is in the corner past the coffee shop (green with Japanese lettering in white, no English sign).

Anyhow, I'd also met with jfchandler yesterday over an average Japanese meal, and had told him about Izumi - but decided I would go and try it again today myself - this time with a photo.

The price of this meal was 49 baht. (yes, you read that right, 49 baht) - but only available between noon and 3 pm. In front is a bowl of rice topped with barbecue beef (you can choose pork) - unlike any other place I've been, there's always meat left after finishing the rice. Don't expect Thai-French for 49 baht, but this is still dam_n good.

They also have a deal for 109 baht (same hours) where you get two plates of meat to barbecue yourself over a charcoal grill, rice, drink (Coke or green tea), fruit, miso soup, and a Japanese salad.

I don't know of any food court or even street-side stalls where you can get a bowl/plate of rice and a Coke for less than 50 baht - so I'd say that this is absolutely the best value meal in Bangkok.

post-15263-1234254976_thumb.jpg

HUUUUUUUH ???? I guess rarely any Thai person would be willing or able to spend 50 Baht on a lunch !

you dont know any food stall where you can get a bowl/plate of rice plus a coke for less than 50 Baht ???

where do you live ? Sukhumvit Soi Nana ? Silom ?

actually, I dont know any foodstall who would have any customer if charging 50 baht for a meal and a drink.

I know of one apartment building near to Surasak-BTS, where they have a huge Lunch-BUFFET (means: all you can eat) Thai-style, and the last time I was there (was early 2008) it costed 39 baht.

as for foodstalls, I dont know any foodstall who would charge more than 25-30 Baht for a regular meal, plus maybe 10 Baht for a coke. When I am in Chiang Mai (which is right now), I use to eat at that restaurant near that high-school. its Packed with people (many students) every day, and all the usual meals (Phat Thai, Khaow Soy, Khaow Phat etc...) cost 20 Baht and the portions are big enough to satisfy the craving of a 6ft1" - Farang (thats me). oh, the drinking water is free of course.... (and a small bottle of Coke would be 10 Baht)

Edited by siam2007

HUUUUUUUH ???? I guess rarely any Thai person would be willing or able to spend 50 Baht on a lunch !

you dont know any food stall where you can get a bowl/plate of rice plus a coke for less than 50 Baht ???

actually, I dont know any foodstall who would have any customer if charging 50 baht for a meal and a drink.

With fruit and soup too?

Trust me - I know many if not most of the places to eat, whether they be street-side or in malls or side streets. If you got anywhere NEAR that amount of meat, you'd be paying 50 baht just to start.

If you just want rice and a bit of gaeng kheeo wan - fine.

I know of one apartment building near to Surasak-BTS, where they have a huge Lunch-BUFFET (means: all you can eat) Thai-style, and the last time I was there (was early 2008) it costed 39 baht.

With what choice of food, especially for 39 baht? Have any photos?

as for foodstalls, I dont know any foodstall who would charge more than 25-30 Baht for a regular meal, plus maybe 10 Baht for a coke. When I am in Chiang Mai (which is right now), I use to eat at that restaurant near that high-school. its Packed with people (many students) every day, and all the usual meals (Phat Thai, Khaow Soy, Khaow Phat etc...) cost 20 Baht and the portions are big so they satisfy the hunger of a 6ft1" - Farang (thats me). oh, the drinking water is free of course....

Mate, you're not in Bangkok. The title of the thread says "Best Value Meal in Bangkok". It is not about the cheapest in Bangkok, nor is it the best value in Chiang Mai.

I would be happy to see people post meal deals this good too - all the better for us members - if you can tell us where, and how much, and what, it would be much appreciated, especially if you have a photo.

Edited by onethailand

With fruit and soup too?

Trust me - I know many if not most of the places to eat, whether they be street-side or in malls or side streets. If you got anywhere NEAR that amount of meat, you'd be paying 50 baht just to start.

If you just want rice and a bit of gaeng kheeo wan - fine.

With what choice of food, especially for 39 baht? Have any photos?

as for foodstalls, I dont know any foodstall who would charge more than 25-30 Baht for a regular meal, plus maybe 10 Baht for a coke. When I am in Chiang Mai (which is right now), I use to eat at that restaurant near that high-school. its Packed with people (many students) every day, and all the usual meals (Phat Thai, Khaow Soy, Khaow Phat etc...) cost 20 Baht and the portions are big so they satisfy the hunger of a 6ft1" - Farang (thats me). oh, the drinking water is free of course....

Mate, you're not in Bangkok. The title of the thread says "Best Value Meal in Bangkok".

I would be happy to see people post meal deals this good too - all the better for us members - if you can tell us where, and how much, and what, it would be much appreciated, especially if you have a photo.

No sorry I dont have a photo as I usually dont go to a restaurant to take pictures. But after you are initiating this topic here, I am considering to go there again when I am back to BKK, see how it is nowadays and take a picture.

okay there are no FRUITS at all those foodstalls, but your main statement was "I dont know of any restaurant or foodstall where you can get a plate/bowl of rice and a coke for less than 50 baht".

I was referring to that statement.

and yes, I DO live in Bangkok since many years, though I am in CM now for a 4-week-project....

nevertheless, your recommendation is appreciated and when I have the chance, I will head to Victory Monument and give it a try....

maybe I should add: In the Soi where I live (suburb), there are several hole-in-the-wall eateries and they charge 25-30 Baht for any regular dish.... one of them even made the effort and typed an English menu now

Edited by siam2007

okay there are no FRUITS at all those foodstalls, but your main statement was "I dont know of any restaurant or foodstall where you can get a plate/bowl of rice and a coke for less than 50 baht".

My main statement was the best value meal in Bangkok :o Not the cheapest.

Frankly, I'd love to see this topic grow into the best value meals in Bangkok where others share their best deals... then we can all enjoy!

My main statement was the best value meal in Bangkok :D Not the cheapest.

Frankly, I'd love to see this topic grow into the best value meals in Bangkok where others share their best deals... then we can all enjoy!

thats no good because I was planning to start a diet after returning to BKK next week and get rid of at least 20 lbs :o

Thai street food prices around my home in lower Sukhumvit vary by what's on offer, and what you get for your money.

There's a shop on my soi where all the food is pre-cooked and sits around in metal trays for most of the day and night. Cost per entree with rice, 20 to 25 baht depending. Though the meat and seafood offerings tend to be a bit funky... Like if you order chicken curry, you'll tend to get more bones and skin than real meat.

This shop also is the place that gave me a terrible case of food poisoning and later that my local Thai friends advised me never to eat at, because the owner has a practice, they told me, of recycling the leftover food from one day to the next. For 20 baht per entree, should I really have been surprised???

There's also a different street-side shop nearby where they cook everything fresh to order. All the meats and seafood choices are available, and when you order chicken or beef, you get real chicken and beef... not bones or innards. Price per entree... 40 baht. Never gotten sick there yet.

Then there's another shop/cart nearby where the husband and wife will fix fresh, cooked to order gai yang, moo yang, nam tok moo/gai and larb moo... again... 40 baht per order. No place to sit, except a couple metal tables and plastic stools nearby.

So, whether the price is 49 or 109 baht, given that it's in a formal restaurant setting in a mall with air con and all the amenities, I'd say that's a hard deal to beat.

PS - OT, I have another appointment at Sanam Pao tomorrow (same as last night), and am planning on having us stop by there for lunch before we head out for a day at the Dusit Zoo... I'll be bringing my appetite with me... :o

Molly Malone's Irish Pub in Convent Silom has a lunch deal. 199 baht for any of the following during 12 and 2pm everyday including weekends.

Fish & Chips

Rib Eye Steak egg and chips

Pork Chop & Onion Gravy with mash

Bangers & Mash

BBQ pork ribs

Corned beef and cabbage

Irish Smoked Bacon Loin with mash

thats good value for an irish pub. the portions are the same as the normal menu.

JFC, do you work? All I read is posts about you visiting restaurants - now the zoo. BTW, the little restaurant in the middle of it is not bad - within full view of the big monitor lizards that roam the lake.

Gee James.... I don't recall you entertaining the TV crowd with spell-binding literary tales of your days at work... So, why should you expect I would be doing any different with my periodic posts....

Besides, all work and no play makes James and John dull boys... :D

Plus, there are lots of even more fun things that I never write about...at least not on Thai Visa... Censors, you know... :o

PS - If you check my profile bio, you'll see in fact that I am a professional writer of some stature. But that's the boring stuff....

JFC, do you work? All I read is posts about you visiting restaurants - now the zoo. BTW, the little restaurant in the middle of it is not bad - within full view of the big monitor lizards that roam the lake.

Gee James.... I don't recall you entertaining the TV crowd with spell-binding literary tales of your days at work... So, why should you expect I would be doing any different with my periodic posts....

Besides, all work and no play makes James and John dull boys... :D

Plus, there are lots of even more fun things that I never write about...at least not on Thai Visa... Censors, you know... :D

PS - If you check my profile bio, you'll see in fact that I am a professional writer of some stature. But that's the boring stuff....

Touche, but would have thought if I checked your profile, it would have said professional critic who likes to write. :D:o

Molly Malone's Irish Pub in Convent Silom has a lunch deal. 199 baht for any of the following during 12 and 2pm everyday including weekends.

Fish & Chips

Bangers & Mash

BBQ pork ribs

Corned beef and cabbage

thats good value for an irish pub. the portions are the same as the normal menu.

Rib Eye Steak egg and chips got my attention :o That sounds like a really good deal.

I happened to be walking past MM's today... and the rib eye almost pulled me in for lunch.

But I had other pressing matters to attend at the time, so I toddled onward.

Interesting to see...their specials used to be advertised as one each per different day of the week. But now on MM's web site, I see they are offering all of them each day for the same fixed price from noon to 2 pm. The food there is good, and so yes, I'd consider this package a pretty good value for BKK.

post-53787-1234264895_thumb.jpg

The BBQ place in Bangkapi is definitely the best value for me (I'm sure I've mentioned this place before), 109bht all in (no drinks) and the best and tastiest (unlimited obviously) selection of meat, fish, shrimp, soups, as well as most common dishes, somtam, khanom jeen etc. I've had in any BBQ place here. It's on the corner of Lat Phrao 113, a pain to get to, but there's always the NIDA to Mall Bangkapi if it's not too late. It's huge but gets extremely busy, particularly at weekends. The big BBQ place at On Nut is also pretty good (good quality meat, good selection of other common dishes, excellent chicken in particular), but I think about 20 bht more.

Non-BBQ, there's a really good little place on Suk 38 (I think it's 38, the one opposite 55 anyway) Thong Lo, on the left, it's the first one you come to, where you can go inside and sit down. Very basic (basically a street place, but off the street) but the food is outstanding and you'll easily get away with 100-150bht a head with 3-4 dishes and a couple of soft drinks. They're happy to go and fetch stuff from other stalls, so you can have a real selection.

Fish & Chips

Bangers & Mash

BBQ pork ribs

Corned beef and cabbage

Rib Eye Steak egg and chips got my attention :o That sounds like a really good deal.

I had the rib eye steak and chips deal at Molley Malones two days ago - my husband and I agreed it was one of the toughest and most sinewy pieces of meat we had ever eaten. Much better offgoing across the road for some issan bbq from the street vendor!

In Century there is also the Kanom jin buffet place. Also, on Tuesdays there are a cheap Pizza/pasta/soup buffet as well. A bit of a warning though, the pizza is not up to "Scoozi standard" more like Pizza hut.

But the best value meal in Bangkok that I've found so far is a very small place just across the street for the market on Yaowarat. The noodles with pork is simply amazing. Only 30 baht. Unfortunatly it's well know place and therefore always packed, sometimes one even have to eat standing.

Then there is Chiw on Boripan road. They have Kobe beef Stew for 100 baht. Very good. A true "hi so magnet".

How about the Took Lae Dee food counter inside Foodland on Sukhumvit Soi 5? All day breakfast (water orange juice, 1 egg, bacon/ham/or sausage, toast with butter/marmalade, cup of tea or coffee, 62 baht, no service charge or tip expected. Also the chicken/pork fried rice for 51 baht, glass of water free.

Plus you see a wild assortment of characters sitting at the counter with you, and if you understand Thai, I'm sure what all the ladies behind the counter are talking about must be interesting. Not sure about the ambience of the place, but if you're hungry and need to fill up, they're good value for money.

I had the rib eye steak and chips deal at Molley Malones two days ago - my husband and I agreed it was one of the toughest and most sinewy pieces of meat we had ever eaten. Much better offgoing across the road for some issan bbq from the street vendor!

LOL... oh well... but you probably need to compare that to other Thai beef dishes... as I also said somewhere, over here beef is graded Pirelli, Firestone, Goodyear...

Then there is Chiw on Boripan road. They have Kobe beef Stew for 100 baht. Very good. A true "hi so magnet".

Get outta here... Kobe Beef for 100 Baht? If so, it's probably 1 gram Kobe beef for every kg of Thai beef... :o Which area is this in?

Kanomjin isn't my thing, unfortunately, but it's cheap nevertheless. For pizza, are you talking about Narai Pizza on the 2nd floor? (yuck!) Not even Pizza Hut standard... more like frozen pizza standard, if that...

The big BBQ place at On Nut is also pretty good (good quality meat, good selection of other common dishes, excellent chicken in particular), but I think about 20 bht more.

Where exactly is this place? Sounds like it's worth a go... Bangkapi is a bit too far for me though used to go to the Mall quite often.

Soi 38 is also a favorite of mine, just off BTS Thonglo - around 7 pm, in the evenings, this place comes alive. On the right hand side, in the first alley, is a place which makes fresh noodles with char siew and wonton and crab - one of my favorite noodle dishes in Bangkok. I always order the dry one, with extra noodles and special (more) wonton and pork (no crab), for 50 baht - and then usually one more after that :D

How about the Took Lae Dee food counter inside Foodland on Sukhumvit Soi 5?

Took Lae Dee at Foodland has always been pretty good value. Seems they only raise their prices according to cost of the materials...

Keep 'em coming, guys and gals :D There are bound to be a few more gems out there...

There's a little BBQ place just off Sukhumvit soi 11. They do great food. Chicken kebab with baked potato and a small salad 100 baht. Good size chicken kebab too. Burgers are good also and very cheap. Walk down soi 11 a couple of hundred yards and take the first left immediately after Zanzibar. There are a couple of Indian restaurants in front of you and it's next door. Small place but great food and service when considering the price.

I should add it's only open in the evening.

Edited by russianrobert

The big BBQ place at On Nut is also pretty good (good quality meat, good selection of other common dishes, excellent chicken in particular), but I think about 20 bht more.

Where exactly is this place? Sounds like it's worth a go... Bangkapi is a bit too far for me though used to go to the Mall quite often.

If you get off at BTS On Nut, walk back in the direction of Ekkamai, cross Suk 50, it's just a bit further there on left next to another restaurant which is always deserted. It's huge (goes back off the street a long way, and usually has a Thai band playing on a big stage at the back, also near the front is a big screen that shows UBC - usually Star Movies with no sound - but will show any football if it's on).

Soi 38 is also a favorite of mine, just off BTS Thonglo - around 7 pm, in the evenings, this place comes alive. On the right hand side, in the first alley, is a place which makes fresh noodles with char siew and wonton and crab - one of my favorite noodle dishes in Bangkok. I always order the dry one, with extra noodles and special (more) wonton and pork (no crab), for 50 baht - and then usually one more after that :o

Seconded. The first alley on the right has some exellent food.

How about the Took Lae Dee food counter inside Foodland on Sukhumvit Soi 5?
Took Lae Dee at Foodland has always been pretty good value. Seems they only raise their prices according to cost of the materials...

Fully agree about TLD, but Foodland Soi 16 is much better (marginally better food, much bigger, more relaxed and not full of idiots).

Fully agree about TLD, but Foodland Soi 16 is much better (marginally better food, much bigger, more relaxed and not full of idiots).

I agree. Was in there last night. Far less crowded than the one on soi 5, cleaner and they have tables to sit at rather than only having bar style seating. Draught Heineken 50 baht. Good size portion of stir fried rice 52 baht. Large menu.

Soi 38 is also a favorite of mine, just off BTS Thonglo - around 7 pm, in the evenings, this place comes alive. On the right hand side, in the first alley, is a place which makes fresh noodles with char siew and wonton and crab - one of my favorite noodle dishes in Bangkok. I always order the dry one, with extra noodles and special (more) wonton and pork (no crab), for 50 baht - and then usually one more after that :o

Seconded. The first alley on the right has some exellent food.

How far down is this alley?

"Likewise for the morning crowd, this MM breakfast offering rates as a pretty good value as well...."

I made the mistake of having the 99THB breakfast at MM's. The "soda bread" was a single piece of white toast. The sausages were foul-tasting, and no bigger than the tips of my fingers. Perhaps I was eating the tips of someone's fingers - the sausages were horrible. The bacon was nearly raw. The meal was served on a plate covered with grease. Absolute cr@p.

Here's some more info about the lunch specials at Izumi in the Century Movie Complex at Victory Monument (cited in the very first post in this thread).

I went yesterday for lunch with the GF, she had the 49 baht "they cook one dish of meat" special, I had the 109 baht "you cook your own with two dishes of meat" special. Both were OK. Decent values for the price.

Did, however, catch view of one roach on our table and then a bit later, a roach on the wall near the table next to us. Can't say if it was the same little critter or a different one. There was a Thai couple sitting at the adjoining table, and the woman was sitting with her head not two feet from the wall and the critter.. Must have sat there for 10 minutes with no notice by her or the waitress who was serving them before the woman finally noticed, and then the waitress snagged the critter off the wall. The couple went on with their lunch unphased by the encounter. Maybe it was a bad day...or...just time to call the exterminator again....

post-53787-1234412508_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1234412554_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1234412596_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1234412640_thumb.jpg