Best Value Meal In Bangkok

onethailand

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Likewise for the morning crowd, this MM breakfast offering rates as a pretty good value as well...."

I made the mistake of having the 99THB breakfast at MM's. The "soda bread" was a single piece of white toast. The sausages were foul-tasting, and no bigger than the tips of my fingers. Perhaps I was eating the tips of someone's fingers - the sausages were horrible. The bacon was nearly raw. The meal was served on a plate covered with grease. Absolute cr@p.

Any one else tried the 99 baht breakfast at Molly Malone's with good or bad result??? (I'm never up that early, so can't vouch personally).

But, I can vouch for their 349 baht Sunday afternoon/evening carvery, which offers up a nice meal of "all you can eat" sliced roast beef, pork, ham and lamb, accompanied by some varieties of roasted/au gratin potatoes and vegetables (usually broccoli and cauliflower), a few other things, and a drink.

A few TV folks have complained in prior posts about their roasted meats being dry... But I've eaten the MM Sunday meal probably a half dozen times in the past year, and never found any problem about that. I always go home pleasantly stuffed!!!

Actually, I'm a bit surprised to see the complaints above about both the MM breakfast and their rib eye steak meal. Of course, for everyone, YMMV (your mileage may vary). In general, MM's has a pretty good reputation as pubs go for the food they serve. But as someone mentioned above, beef in Thailand tends to be a "tough" proposition. :o

I know this thread is about the best meal, but these days I am eating vegetarian so I am wondering if anyone can add places with vegetarian meals in CBD that are of good value.

I have my favorites, but they are not necessarily of good value.

Thanks,

To help out a bit, OMR, please define your version of "vegetarian"? Just no meat??? Or other things excluded as well??? What about fish/seafood??? Eggs??? Thanks....

Soi 38 is also a favorite of mine, just off BTS Thonglo - around 7 pm, in the evenings, this place comes alive. On the right hand side, in the first alley, is a place which makes fresh noodles with char siew and wonton and crab - one of my favorite noodle dishes in Bangkok. I always order the dry one, with extra noodles and special (more) wonton and pork (no crab), for 50 baht - and then usually one more after that :o

Seconded. The first alley on the right has some exellent food.

How far down is this alley?

You'll come to it almost immediately from the 'paak soi.' I was there last night actually (not the alley, the place I described earlier on the other side of the road - be sure to try the Kaopad keemao moo, best I've ever had, Tom yum goong there is also about the best I've had - whole meal cost us 220bht with 3 dishes and 2 drinks each - 2 people).

Edit: Just noticed the request for a good vegetarian. Never been to this place myself (I like meat), but several people have mentioned to me that one of the best veggie restaurants around is meant to be on Suan Plu, "sort of opposite immigration." Sorry I can't be more specific, but it shouldn't be that difficult to find...

Edited by MKAsok

I know this thread is about the best meal, but these days I am eating vegetarian so I am wondering if anyone can add places with vegetarian meals in CBD that are of good value.

I have my favorites, but they are not necessarily of good value.

Thanks,

To help out a bit, OMR, please define your version of "vegetarian"? Just no meat??? Or other things excluded as well??? What about fish/seafood??? Eggs??? Thanks....

No meat, eggs, fish or seafood.

Let me edit this a bit. No fried eggs. Disguised eggs are OK (used in making other things such as pasta etc.).

Thanks

Edited by Old Man River

j chandler. Let me suggest a little shop across the street from your house. In Soi 15 (Manhattan Hotel). Right on the corner - Soi 11 side. Single shop house. Chinese Thai Seafood. It's been there so long you walk down into the seating area.

Would appreciate you scouting this place & report back.

Especially see if they have Poo Phaad Phong Karee. Crab in Yeloow sauce with egg & green onion.

Re. All you can eat buffet at Onnut. A new one has opened - same side of the street - almost to the Klong - (where the Bridge starts) called "Best Beef". Anyone tried it yet?

Bon Appetite.

j chandler. Let me suggest a little shop across the street from your house. In Soi 15 (Manhattan Hotel). Right on the corner - Soi 11 side. Single shop house. Chinese Thai Seafood. It's been there so long you walk down into the seating area.

Would appreciate you scouting this place & report back.

Especially see if they have Poo Phaad Phong Karee. Crab in Yeloow sauce with egg & green onion.

Re. All you can eat buffet at Onnut. A new one has opened - same side of the street - almost to the Klong - (where the Bridge starts) called "Best Beef". Anyone tried it yet?

Bon Appetite.

That restaurant brings back memories (albeit 9 years ago), is it still there. Since we have nominated JFC to be our rest review biatch - can you pop into the NY Steak House at the Marriot and take a few photos? :o

Here's some more info about the lunch specials at Izumi in the Century Movie Complex at Victory Monument (cited in the very first post in this thread).

I went yesterday for lunch with the GF, she had the 49 baht "they cook one dish of meat" special, I had the 109 baht "you cook your own with two dishes of meat" special. Both were OK. Decent values for the price.

Did, however, catch view of one roach on our table and then a bit later, a roach on the wall near the table next to us. Can't say if it was the same little critter or a different one. There was a Thai couple sitting at the adjoining table, and the woman was sitting with her head not two feet from the wall and the critter.. Must have sat there for 10 minutes with no notice by her or the waitress who was serving them before the woman finally noticed, and then the waitress snagged the critter off the wall. The couple went on with their lunch unphased by the encounter. Maybe it was a bad day...or...just time to call the exterminator again....

post-53787-1234412554_thumb.jpg

Gotta say, your soup looks extremely weak - more like a cup of broth. In all the times I've been there, my soup has been decent even though I'm not a fan of miso soup. And I don't recall seeing a roach (small one) more than once, I think, so perhaps it's that time again. I always thought most restaurants have pest control coming in on a regular basis.

OMR - vegetarian is definitely not one of my strengths - my wife does it once a year during the J-festival. I hope there are others here who have some suggestions.

I've been to the NY Steak at the Marriott - service is excellent but the food, while very good, is way the heck overpriced. Definitely priced towards businessmen staying there.

Dotcom - let's all do one of those buffet places near Onnut sometime...

1. OT, the miso at Izumi was OK, not as weak as it looks in my photo... As I recall, the actual miso had all settled to the bottom by that point, so from the top, it looks only like clear broth... But it was a bit better than than... I forgot to stir...before taking the photo.

PS - I also took a photo of the critter on the wall, just in case, as a reminder to myself. But I decided not to post it here.... However, if anyone wants to see it, just let me know... :o

2. I'm up for On Nut BBQ... just say the word...

3. OMR, there are a multitude of choices, even in BKK, depending on your eating preferences...

For example, I could eat only vegetarian for days by choosing Indian, and going with any variety of their dals or vegetable curries and dishes... In fact, there are some vegetarian only Indian places around Sukhumvit... and many many regular Indian places that have pretty good vegetarian choices on their menu.

Or, if you have a taste for Middle Eastern, as I do, pop into Beirut (in the basement of the Ploenchit Center or in Silom in the Silom 64 Bldg) for one of their falafel (ground spiced garbanzo beans fried into balls) plates or sandwiches, or hummus (made from garbanzo beans and tahini paste) and pita bread dips, or any number of other vegetarian choices. The same kinds of foods, a bit cheaper but with less atmosphere, also can be had at the Lebanon House shop on Suk Road, just up from Soi 11.

How about some of the pizza shops that are offering "vegetariano" style pizzas, typically with an assortment of grilled vegetables on top of the regular tomato sauce and cheese. While it's certainly not gourmet, even Narai Pizzeria has a pretty good spinach and cheese pizza that I've had a couple of times.

Then, of course, there are all the Thai vegetarian options, vegetables with rice, a favorite of mine is pumpkin curry with rice (fak thong), and more and more.

If you need more specifics, or details, or want a different kind of cuisine from those mentioned above, just ask...

I had the rib eye steak and chips deal at Molley Malones two days ago - my husband and I agreed it was one of the toughest and most sinewy pieces of meat we had ever eaten. Much better offgoing across the road for some issan bbq from the street vendor!

I have had the rib eye steak at Molly Malone's a few times over the past couple of months and it has been great, the fish & Chips is also a very good meal. especially for 199 baht. I have never eaten the breakfast there but I have been told by my friends that it is a very good breakfast for the price. the pub is busy so they must be doing something right.

I should think any meat would be crap compared to what you would be used to in Australia. Australian meat is the best in my mind, well, after Argentine and US oh yeah and british beef. the rib eye you are talking about though, I think is very good for local meat, when I have eaten it I have never had a tough or sinewy one there, and for 199 baht I think it is awsome! I am sure if you had mentioned this to the manager he would have sorted it out and made sure you had left a happy bunny.

Separately - Hey Dotcom, what about the buffet places out by On Nut BTS... That's your part of town. Any recommendation there, based on personal experience???

I don't eat Goat Grab Bar B Q - No Bar B Q Plaza; MK; Daidomon - none of that <deleted>. Sorry.

Soi 38 is also a favorite of mine, just off BTS Thonglo - around 7 pm, in the evenings, this place comes alive. On the right hand side, in the first alley, is a place which makes fresh noodles with char siew and wonton and crab - one of my favorite noodle dishes in Bangkok. I always order the dry one, with extra noodles and special (more) wonton and pork (no crab), for 50 baht - and then usually one more after that :o

Seconded. The first alley on the right has some exellent food.

How far down is this alley?

You'll come to it almost immediately from the 'paak soi.' I was there last night actually (not the alley, the place I described earlier on the other side of the road - be sure to try the Kaopad keemao moo, best I've ever had, Tom yum goong there is also about the best I've had - whole meal cost us 220bht with 3 dishes and 2 drinks each - 2 people).

I'm not sure if i'm thinking of the same place. Is it a very small alley that leads to a seating area outside a kind of an old shopping mall?

Is there usually a stall that prepares fresh juices along the alley?

I'm not sure if i'm thinking of the same place. Is it a very small alley that leads to a seating area outside a kind of an old shopping mall?

Yes, that's the one. Except it's not a shopping mall, it's an apartment building. There's only one outdoor food area near BTS Thonglo so if you get off at that station, you'll find it right opposite Soi Thonglor.

Yes, that's the one. Except it's not a shopping mall, it's an apartment building. There's only one outdoor food area near BTS Thonglo so if you get off at that station, you'll find it right opposite Soi Thonglor.

ah that's good, i know the place well then

top notch food to be had there alright

Molly Malone's Irish Pub in Convent Silom has a lunch deal. 199 baht for any of the following during 12 and 2pm everyday including weekends.

Fish & Chips

Rib Eye Steak egg and chips

Pork Chop & Onion Gravy with mash

Bangers & Mash

BBQ pork ribs

Corned beef and cabbage

Irish Smoked Bacon Loin with mash

thats good value for an irish pub. the portions are the same as the normal menu.

MMMMMMMM well that works out at exchange rate today would be £4 thats alot in weatherspoons in london you can get 2 meals with beer or coke that be say fish and chips for £5.25 thats 2 meals in london now thats a bargain and why go to thailand to go in an irish plastic pub might as well go to the costa del sol

they have hundreds there

1. OT, the miso at Izumi was OK, not as weak as it looks in my photo... As I recall, the actual miso had all settled to the bottom by that point, so from the top, it looks only like clear broth... But it was a bit better than than... I forgot to stir...before taking the photo.

PS - I also took a photo of the critter on the wall, just in case, as a reminder to myself. But I decided not to post it here.... However, if anyone wants to see it, just let me know... :o

2. I'm up for On Nut BBQ... just say the word...

3. OMR, there are a multitude of choices, even in BKK, depending on your eating preferences...

For example, I could eat only vegetarian for days by choosing Indian, and going with any variety of their dals or vegetable curries and dishes... In fact, there are some vegetarian only Indian places around Sukhumvit... and many many regular Indian places that have pretty good vegetarian choices on their menu.

Or, if you have a taste for Middle Eastern, as I do, pop into Beirut (in the basement of the Ploenchit Center or in Silom in the Silom 64 Bldg) for one of their falafel (ground spiced garbanzo beans fried into balls) plates or sandwiches, or hummus (made from garbanzo beans and tahini paste) and pita bread dips, or any number of other vegetarian choices. The same kinds of foods, a bit cheaper but with less atmosphere, also can be had at the Lebanon House shop on Suk Road, just up from Soi 11.

How about some of the pizza shops that are offering "vegetariano" style pizzas, typically with an assortment of grilled vegetables on top of the regular tomato sauce and cheese. While it's certainly not gourmet, even Narai Pizzeria has a pretty good spinach and cheese pizza that I've had a couple of times.

Then, of course, there are all the Thai vegetarian options, vegetables with rice, a favorite of mine is pumpkin curry with rice (fak thong), and more and more.

If you need more specifics, or details, or want a different kind of cuisine from those mentioned above, just ask...

Interestingly, you mentioned my favorite vegetarian restaurant in Thailand - Beirut. At least one third of its very extensive menu is vegetarian dishes and they are all good.

Thanks for the other ideas.

Santa Fe's current 99 baht promotion is a ribeye steak, original pork steak and frankfurter, Cordon Bleu, Black Pepper Fish Steak or American Pork Chop.

Had the ribeye, and the pork steak and frankfurter. I know that Santa Fe will never compare to a decent steak place, but still it's a decent piece of meat and tastes fine. Didn't care for the frankfurter though.

Decent value for money in my opinion.

thats good value for an irish pub. the portions are the same as the normal menu.

MMMMMMMM well that works out at exchange rate today would be £4 thats alot in weatherspoons in london you can get 2 meals with beer or coke that be say fish and chips for £5.25 thats 2 meals in london now thats a bargain and why go to thailand to go in an irish plastic pub might as well go to the costa del sol

they have hundreds there

You may be right Mickyboy, but this is still a good deal in Thailand. Weatherspoons is all microwaved crap that is mass produced, Molly's is fresh product cooked on the premises. compared to other Irish Pubs in Bangkok, Molly's is very good for food.

Santa Fe's current 99 baht promotion is a ribeye steak, original pork steak and frankfurter, Cordon Bleu, Black Pepper Fish Steak or American Pork Chop.

Had the ribeye, and the pork steak and frankfurter. I know that Santa Fe will never compare to a decent steak place, but still it's a decent piece of meat and tastes fine. Didn't care for the frankfurter though.

Decent value for money in my opinion.

OT, I'd rate Santa Fe more at the cheap end of the spectrum vs. value (quality for price).

I've eaten there a couple of times when out shopping, including at the Century Movie Complex at Victory Monument (it's right near Izumi on the same floor). Had one terrible, tough as leather ribeye, had some of a GF's ribeye on another day that was OK, and surprisingly had a pretty decent pork steak there another time.

The meals come with a couple of slices of bread that's supposed to be garlic bread...kind of... And some kind of weird mini salad comprised of some lettuce, some small cubed veggies. and some kind of undefineable cream sauce mixed all in....

Having said that, they also have something like a 499 or 599 Australian ribeye on their menu.... But given it's Santa Fe, I haven't been able to bring myself yet to plunk down that kind of money there for a steak that purports to be a good one....

looks like good value but does not look very delicious. my wife is such an amazing cook that i really cant even try to eat at these types of places as they throw together crap. but for bachelors like yourself, i am sure its worthwhile. good luck.

what gives you the idea that I am a bachelor? what sort of answer is that? if you dont like to eat in them places then dont do it, but I happen to enjoy eating out and I think MM is good value and has good food. I also like to eat at home with my wife and sometimes i do not eat at all. other times I might go somewhere else and eat!

:o

• 2 weeks later...
I made the mistake of having the 99THB breakfast at MM's. The "soda bread" was a single piece of white toast. The sausages were foul-tasting, and no bigger than the tips of my fingers. Perhaps I was eating the tips of someone's fingers - the sausages were horrible. The bacon was nearly raw. The meal was served on a plate covered with grease. Absolute cr@p.

Since I was the one who posted about it based on their advertisement, but hadn't tried it myself yet, I felt compelled based on the comment above to try the 99 baht breakfast special on offer now at Molly Malone's pub on Soi Convent in Silom. And, contrary to the experience above, I had a very nice, satisfying, perfectly prepared breakfast there at a great price. No complaints whatsoever.

post-53787-1235354773_thumb.jpg

As the photo above attests, they served up a very good portion of eggs, which I ordered and received scrambled. One normal size sausage link, (unless one has enormously long finger tips), and two strips of bacon hiding under the fried hash browns patty. One slice of white bread toast (not sure if it was "soda" bread or not) and butter. And a large pot of boiling hot tea. Everything was well-cooked and there wasn't a hint of any grease on my plate, except for a bit that came off the bacon. Prompt and pleasant service. Total bill with tax.... 106 baht.

Certainly would order it again, any time I'm hungry for breakfast in the Silom area...

More info here on Narai Pizzeria's 149 baht Tuesday pizza buffet, 4-9 p.m.....

some years ago (I wont say how long or it will reveal my age :o ), Narai hotel was one of very very few places in Bangkok that offered pizzas. so among Thais, it was considered to be good. but this was wayyyyyyyyyyy before all the chain stores or the fancy italian restuarants started to open in bangkok. some 15 years ago (from research rather than memory HAHAHA) Narai then decided to start its own chain of pizza places. cant say its exceptional....but compared to places like pizza hut it might be better

history lesson over :D

Anyone who enjoys suckling pig (that's suckling, BKKjames) should pay a trip to An An Lao on Thong Lor. walk past J Avenue on your left, and it's one of the first restaurants you see. An absolute bargain. Can't remember the exact price, but figure on 2-300 baht. Pancakes, plum sauce etc. And they cook up the meat in one of 4 ways.

Molly Malone's Irish Pub in Convent Silom has a lunch deal. 199 baht for any of the following during 12 and 2pm everyday including weekends.

Fish & Chips

Rib Eye Steak egg and chips

Pork Chop & Onion Gravy with mash

Bangers & Mash

BBQ pork ribs

Corned beef and cabbage

Irish Smoked Bacon Loin with mash

Man but the food is awful! Maybe cheap. But quite bad

Tried Izumi's at Century Movie Plaza, exit 2 direct into mall at Victory Monument BTS. Had the 49 baht rice with beef lunch special. Pretty good for 49 baht. I wonder how their regular barbecue fare is. Has anyone tried the barbecue?

The regular barbecue is not bad. If you try the 109 baht lunch special, you get to choose two plates of meat. A bit inconsistent but still super value for the price.