Thailand Warns Angelina Jolie Over Comments On Rohingyas

george

Thai govt warns Jolie and UNHCR over comments on Rohingyas

brad-pitt-and-angelina-jolie.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai government is not happy with US actress Angelina Jolie and the United Nations High Commission for Refugees for criticising that Thai government did not respect Rohingya boat people's human rights

Thai Foreign Ministry's Permanent Secretary Virasakdi Futrakul said the Rohingya's presence in Thailand is a hot issue. ""It was a coincidence that the Rohingya was a hot news issue at the time. We must warn UNHCR that they should not comment on the matter because they have no mandate."

The warning came after UNHCR's goodwill ambassador Jolie who visited Burmese camps along Thai border last week criticised Thai government of ignoring the plight of Rohinyas and suggested that Thai government should take better care of the Burmese ethnics.

Virasakdi told reporters that Angelina was not focused on the Rohingya, but was visiting Burmese refugee camps.

"The UNHCR should not have brought Jolie, its goodwill ambassador, to one of the nine refugee camps stringing the border which are run by Thailand's interior ministry."

"The Thai government will issue a reprimand letter to UNHCR, asking why it allowed Angelina Jolie to visit the refugee camps," Virasakdi told reporters.

-- The Nation 2009-02-11

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find it amazing that the last few governments of this country where conflict-avoidance and keeping face means so much has so little clue of public relations and such an abundant ability to make themselves like complete idiots.

Trying to reprimand the UNHCR and a goodwill ambassador so obvious in the center of the public eye without backing it up with hard facts that nothing bad happened to the boat people must be one of the stupidest things the Thai government currently can do.

I nearly get the impression they actually try to sabotage their country intentionally, as with the airport closure.

As the latest Academic refugee to England this week already stated. Thailand is becoming a police state. This government is the worst thing Thailand could have overcome. Abhisit and Suthep may think that they are respected abroad, the truth is really very different.

I find it amazing that the last few governments of this country where conflict-avoidance and keeping face means so much has so little clue of public relations and such an abundant ability to make themselves like complete idiots.

Trying to reprimand the UNHCR and a goodwill ambassador so obvious in the center of the public eye without backing it up with hard facts that nothing bad happened to the boat people must be one of the stupidest things the Thai government currently can do.

I nearly get the impression they actually try to sabotage their country intentionally, as with the airport closure.

And loosing face in the process!

FF

Agreed, this is all very embarrassing for Thailand, but comments like these are deplorable and reminiscent of "The U.N. is not my father".

One would hope for educated Thais to be more-aware of international expectations, on both the proper treatment of refugees, and on freedom-of-expression.

"The UNHCR should not have brought Jolie, its goodwill ambassador, to one of the nine refugee camps stringing the border which are run by Thailand's interior ministry."

And who should they send. :o

"Kitty McKinsey, UNHCR spokeswoman in Bangkok, told AFP that both Jolie and Pitt had camp passes issued by the Ministry of Interior, and said the visit was arranged with the cooperation of the foreign ministry." AFP

Selective amnesia or left hand not knowing what the right is doing? Agree about clueless.

As always, If the government denies it, then it doesn't exist. The problem for the Puppet Government is that most of the rest of the world know what a load of <deleted> this government is coming out with.

As usual Thai govt assumes whole world is stupid whereas reverse is the case.

Which series or part is this ; of "Thailand puts its foot in it yet again".

Don't forget who the foreign minister is:

Have they got the placards out yet - United Nations OK Pai !

Angelina & Brad Ok Pai!

As already noted the Thai government machine of any 'colour' seems only to be able to make a crisis out of a drama.

It should be noted however, that reports have suggested that there had been exaggeration over the recent claims out of Indonesia, with the Arakan Project noting that key elements of the testimony was now being rebutted by the Rohingya themselves. Claims about some 20 deaths, 9 boats and maybe 1000+ refugees being put to sea having been detained for 2 months are now shown to be false.

However, there remains evidence of harsh treatment at the hands of the Thai authorities, which was substantiated by Indonesian doctors.

Given that Angelina's comments were very carefully phrased, and indeed praised the Thai authorities for their work, whilst simply asking them to extend the same level of 'understanding' to the Rohingya.

It would have been an opportunity for a PR savvy minister [edit or Permanent Secretary for that matter] to highlight the exaggerations whilst explaining how the programme was being extended. Face saved all round.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

[.... We must warn UNHCR that they should not comment on the matter because they have no mandate."

Maybe someone should buy the Thai government a good dictionary.....

If the United Nations High Commission for Refugees doesn't have a "Mandate", then who does????

I appoint the "Tooth Fairy".

CS

As Ricardo points out this is similar to Thaksin's famous, "The UN is not my father", statement when confronted with international criticism for his policy of having alleged drug dealers liquidated on a competitive basis by provincial governors. It is a shame that Abhisit is showing himself to be weak in the human rights area in the eyes of the rest of the world in a way that could totally colour international opinion of him. Admittedly he is not actively pursuing murderous policies like Thaksin but neither is he willing to investigate the Rohingya allegations which he must know in his heart are very likely to be true. No action yet on the coroner's murder verdict on the iman in military custody in the South either. I am afraid that these stories are seen differently in Thailand because of the cultural acceptability of racism and the deep rooted dislike of muslims by the rest of the population. The Thai military has justified its no quarter policy with Rohingyas in the local media on the fictitious grounds they are infilitrators coming to assist the muslim insurgents in the South and most Thais are willing to accept this without question.

The pathetic statement by the Foreign Ministry permanent secretary is obviously intended for domestic consumption and it will certainly go down extremely well in Thailand. He probably neither knows nor cares what an ass it makes him look in the eyes of the rest of the world.

I reckon Abhisit is scared s-less of the military. He isn't powerful enough to challenge them. Given his situation, I really don't know what he can do differently if he hopes to stay as PM more than five minutes.

Edited by Jingthing

Rather than taking the opportunity to take a swipe at the Thai approach to the problem of the Rohingya people can anyone suggest an alternative? These are an Islamic people. They were heading for an Islamic nation. Send them to Malaysia or Indonesia? Do they want them?

Do you want them going to the UK, Australia, US etc?

No I thought not. So, what to do? Send them on? Send them to the Muslem insurgents in the south of Thailand? Send them back?

How many Brits would like to send teh Muslems in the UK back to Arabic states?

See, it isn't as clear cut as you think.

Rather than taking the opportunity to take a swipe at the Thai approach to the problem of the Rohingya people can anyone suggest an alternative? These are an Islamic people. They were heading for an Islamic nation. Send them to Malaysia or Indonesia? Do they want them?

No I thought not. So, what to do? Send them on? Send them to the Muslem insurgents in the south of Thailand? Send them back?

Thank you for your final solution to this problem.

This has to be being played for Thai consumption. THere is no way they don't understand how this will be viewed in other countries.

... which is exactly what these "refugees" wanted.

These Rohingya know pretty well that they have no legal means to enter Thailand. For me the "Violation" of their human rights is just a false accusation to gain publicity and possibly refugee status.

May I remind the other posters that "wetbacks" crossing the border from Mexico into the US are also not really popular there ?

Europe has its struggles with illegal immigrants as well.

If you have a look at what is going on in the THai south, especially in the Hat Yai area you'll understand that particulary MUSLIM immigrants are not that welcome for a reason.

THailand is struggling hard with the impact of the world financial crisis and its internal woes, Ms. Jolie has neither done Thailand nor the UN or the Burmese refugees any good with her not very smart comments.

I'd be careful to make any accusations before more facts are known.

Thank you for your final solution to this problem.

You could have chosen your words more carefully! Hitler had the "Final Solution"!

I jusr asked questions.

As for Angelina Jolie, she is an actress, whose job is to learn lines and repeat them whilst acting a part ina oiece of fiction.

Spot on!

It is MADE a "Thai Problem" as it is on of the closest Nation and one of the wealthiest in the Region!

Why it is forgotten how many of these "Boat People" have been dealt with already - why are people so quick with blaming Abhisit and the "new Government" for it, taking a swipe at "the Military" without any genuine grounds?

Statement from the Government has been already that the resources are limited..... and the real Culprit is the Military Junta of Myanmar!

It will be a hot issue at the ASEAN Conference, shortly!

Why nobody asks if the Thai Government maybe may need some very urgent international (UNHCR) help with this burning issue?

Instead bash, bash, bash!

Edited by Samuian

Obviously disrespectful and not in accordance with the Thai and Asian need for public comments to be about as far way from the truth as possible.

Who does she think she is and from a woman too.!!!!!

Ms. Jolie and Brad Pitt spend a lot of money supporting Children in Cambodia. Not exactly friends of LOS

These Rohingya know pretty well that they have no legal means to enter Thailand. For me the "Violation" of their human rights is just a false accusation to gain publicity and possibly refugee status.

May I remind the other posters that "wetbacks" crossing the border from Mexico into the US are also not really popular there ?

The Rohingya may or may not be thoroughly informed about Thailands immigration laws, keep in mind they probably have not had much of a higher education and in Myanmar reliable information on anything is kind of hard to come by in any case.

You should also consider the motivation, while illegal immigrants to the USA from Mexico are motivated by money, the Rohingya are running for their lifes as the junta in Myanmar seeks to wipe them out. That ofcourse is not Thailands fault, but tough luck if your country is adjacent to an oppressive dictatorship.

Spot on!

It is MADE a "Thai Problem" as it is on of the closest Nation and one of the wealthiest in the Region!

Why it is forgotten how many of these "Boat People" have been dealt with already - why are people so quick with blaming Abhisit and the "new Government" for it, taking a swipe at "the Military" without any genuine grounds?

Statement from the Government has been already that the resources are limited..... and the real Culprit is the Military Junta of Myanmar!

It will be a hot issue at the ASEAN Conference, shortly!

Why nobody asks if the Thai Government maybe may need some very urgent international (UNHCR) help with this burning issue?

Instead bash, bash, bash!

Do not make me laugh. The last ASAEN summit the only ones that objected over the head bashing and of the killings of Burmese Monks was the Philippines. The Thai foreign minister at that time congratulated the Burmese junta for a job well done. That was in The Nation and picked up by the NY Times

This has to be being played for Thai consumption. THere is no way they don't understand how this will be viewed in other countries.

... which is exactly what these "refugees" wanted.

Europe has its struggles with illegal immigrants as well.

If you have a look at what is going on in the THai south, especially in the Hat Yai area you'll understand that particulary MUSLIM immigrants are not that welcome for a reason.

THailand is struggling hard with the impact of the world financial crisis and its internal woes, Ms. Jolie has neither done Thailand nor the UN or the Burmese refugees any good with her not very smart comments.

I'd be careful to make any accusations before more facts are known.

Read in their totality and not out of context I see nothing wrong with her remarks. they are diplomatic and even praise some aspects of what Thailand is doing.

the medical evidence is strong enough to suggest that therw was some violation.

this poster needs to do a little more research before posting.