Thai Hotels Urged To Diversify Marketing Plans

george

Hotels urged to diversify marketing plans

BANGKOK: -- Hotel operators have been urged to diversify their marketing plans and use more IT to cope with fewer business trips by prospective customers this year, an executive of Amadeus, provider of technology to the travel and tourism industry, said yesterday.

"The current economic situation has affected all. Business travellers, especially from the Asia-Pacific region, are more price-conscious than ever before and are spending more prudently," said Oliver Winzer, regional director and head of IT, Amadeus Hospitality Business Group.

He added that corporate expenditure such as travel and entertainment was now being scrutinised more closely.

Amadeus also projected that businessmen would make fewer, shorter and cheaper trips and switch from luxury extras to basic service over the next 12 months.

Due to fewer business trips, hotels in Thailand will be required to adjust strategies and to invest more in IT and new technology.

Winzer said one of the measures could be to offer travellers better connectivity, particularly online booking, which would save operating costs.

Good Wi-Fi connectivity is now rated above any other luxury extra.

Moreover, today's travellers are less interested in luxury gyms, spas and restaurants and more concerned about efficient check-in and check-out and Internet access.

Hotels should manage room rates by offering lower prices on weekends. Hotels also needed to fix their operating cost.

Amadeus reported its latest study, commissioned by the Economist Intelligence Unit, on the effect of the economic downturn on executives' choice of hotels.

The study, entitled "The austere traveller - the effect of corporate cutbacks on hotels", found that one-fifth of the 354 executives who responded to the survey in Asia, Europe and North America thought an Internet connection was more critical than a quiet room.

About 47 per cent of executives surveyed will be making fewer trips in the next 12 months, and 28 per cent expect to downgrade from four- and five-star hotels. In addition, 63 per cent of respondents expect their companies to use the downturn to extract the best possible rates from hotels.

A huge proportion of executives, about 61 per cent, said a trusted brand with uniform service levels across locations would be a decisive factor when choosing a hotel in 2009.

-- The Nation 2009-02-12

Walk out of any tourist hotel and be greeted by scammers posing as taxi drivers. They sit there all day, refusing fares, only willing to get up off their asss if they can scam a 'first time' visitor.

Why do the hotel management let this continue I wonder?

Surely not because of kickbacks ? :D

Interesting to see that these drivers have already evolved a successful modified marketing-strategy of their own ! :o

Should they perhaps be running the whole country ? :D Step forward, the Taxi-Drivers-of-Thailand Party ! :D

Walk out of any tourist hotel and be greeted by scammers posing as taxi drivers. They sit there all day, refusing fares, only willing to get up off their asss if they can scam a 'first time' visitor.

Ok, I haven't been in Thailand since this little economic crisis hit, so I'll bite. If these "taxi drivers" won't take a fare, what is their scam? Do you mean they have taxis but just refuse to go on the meter, insisting on egregious fares with naive customers?

Ok, I haven't been in Thailand since this little economic crisis hit, so I'll bite. If these "taxi drivers" won't take a fare, what is their scam? Do you mean they have taxis but just refuse to go on the meter, insisting on egregious fares with naive customers?

Yes, that sums it up about right... I have some small to medium size hotels on my soi, and a regular cadre of taxi drivers (know them all on sight) who will not take regular fares, and only want to go to the airport or out of town tour.

Even if they have no passenger scheduled, they'll refuse regular local fares and just sit at their taxi near the hotel waiting... From time to time, I've heard them quoting fares from lower Sukhumvit to Suvarnabhumi of 800 baht one way - which is between 3 and 4 times the normal meter fare.

If they can find a customer willing to pay that, the profit involved makes up for a whole lot of in-town smaller fares....

I always like it when.... someone hires a technology consulting firm to do a report on how they can improve their business....and surprise surprise.... the consulting firm recommends... spend more on technology!!!!

It's an amazing coincidence...how often this happens. What a world in which we live... Do you think they've ever prepared a report for a client that recommended...spend LESS on technology and more on other things???

I always like it when.... someone hires a technology consulting firm to do a report on how they can improve their business....and surprise surprise.... the consulting firm recommends... spend more on technology!!!!

It's an amazing coincidence...how often this happens. What a world in which we live... Do you think they've ever prepared a report for a client that recommended...spend LESS on technology and more on other things???

I was thinking the same thing. Not to mention that this advertisement is being passed off as news. Probably the biggest reason why I don't bother to read the business sections in Thailand; the content is closer to advertising than journalism.

Yes, and claiming the fares are the norm. My aunt got tricked and hit with a far of 350 baht for 2km, which as we all know should have been 45-50 on the meter, depending on traffic.

Look like a tourist and walk out from a pricey hotel and you get the 'very special' treatment. Very special high prices that is...

Marketing, marketing, marketing.

Yawn.

How about offering quality services and facilities commensurate with price?

Many of the mid-range hotels that I've used over the years have focused on marketing and giving their lobby a 4-5 star face lift. And doubled their prices, while they left the rooms basically unchanged.

Yes, that sums it up about right... I have some small to medium size hotels on my soi, and a regular cadre of taxi drivers (know them all on sight) who will not take regular fares, and only want to go to the airport or out of town tour.

Even if they have no passenger scheduled, they'll refuse regular local fares and just sit at their taxi near the hotel waiting... From time to time, I've heard them quoting fares from lower Sukhumvit to Suvarnabhumi of 800 baht one way - which is between 3 and 4 times the normal meter fare.

If they can find a customer willing to pay that, the profit involved makes up for a whole lot of in-town smaller fares....

A friend of mine was staying at a Bangkok hotel recently.

Several Taxi Mafia parked out front, refusing fares until they find a new arrival they can scam.

I talked with the manager of the hotel and asked why he allows criminals to loiter out front and cheat the guests.

He said they cooperate with the Police and nothing can be done.

I asked if he would post a warning to his guests?

He was not interested.

TIT.

There are Taxi scammers posted at every tourist hotel.

Beware.

Maybe the Thai can even send some more civil servants for an seminar to hotels and resorts. Sometimes I think they are the biggest clients and sponsors of hotels in Thailand.

I realy like to know how many millions or even billions the Government spend for such civil servants seminars.

Edited by henryalleman

A friend of mine was staying at a Bangkok hotel recently.

Several Taxi Mafia parked out front, refusing fares until they find a new arrival they can scam.

I talked with the manager of the hotel and asked why he allows criminals to loiter out front and cheat the guests.

He said they cooperate with the Police and nothing can be done.

I asked if he would post a warning to his guests?

He was not interested.

TIT.

There are Taxi scammers posted at every tourist hotel.

Beware.

We are not interested either. It''s an even sadder state of affairs if we are pittying wealthy people who have so little interest in where they are in the world that they hav'nt carried out even the most basic enquiries about the country.

So what, they have enough money to pay upwards of 5,000 baht for one night in a hotel, dont notice that 350 baht is over the odds for a taxi, and obviously dont care either.

Even the poor dumb drunken bar flies of pattaya that we hear harrangued so much know more than these people. I heard a guy once complain on Thai Visa that the 10baht "baht bus"is only 5baht for thais and he had bawled them out for it!

There is information about scams here on every article I have ever read about the country. Maybe if they wern't so rich, they would care more about the value of money and know already how much this should cost.

Lets save pitty and outrage for more deserving population groups than rich tourists. Buyer beware!

Congratulations to the Sofitel on Suk Soi 6 for chasing away the parasites that pose as taxi drivers in front of the hotel.

Every day, a gang of those scammers are usually parked there, cheating the tourists.

Walked by there today and they were forced to park down the soi a bit.

Taxi scams happens in every town of the world. Especially at airport and stations the usual questions is. Are you for the first time coming to this country of town sir.

I was a taxi driver as second job for a while. Some drivers took real sightseeing tours :o before they arrive to the hotel. Bussines clients never complained because its was on their expense account.

What makes you think the "hotel management" is responsible for this?

Ever had a smashed window, windscreen, flat tires - never?

Well, if you like to have some troubled times, start messing around with "the cabbies"....!

It's up to the law enforcement, unless they strictly enforce the rules, the "hotel management" will have to implement better strategies, as FREE shuttles, or own transfer services!

Agreed?

After all we manage hotels, not the public transport!

Don't worry, there are channels to negotiate through, but approaching "the cabies" directly will:

a.) encounter ignorance and

b.) for certainly stir up some trouble!

c.) get the mobile phone number of cabbies who are willing to play by the rules, we "play" only with them!

Taxi scams happens in every town of the world. Especially at airport and stations the usual questions is. Are you for the first time coming to this country of town sir.

I was a taxi driver as second job for a while. Some drivers took real sightseeing tours :o before they arrive to the hotel. Bussines clients never complained because its was on their expense account.

I often went with the Taxi in Vienna and never saw any scam...