Day Pass To Cross Maesai Border

jaideeguy

I have heard conflicting reports on crossing the Maesai border without getting a re entry stamp in your passport if you have a 1 yr single entry visa. I just want to cross over for a couple of hours to shop in Tachelek, but don't want to pay the 1,000THB+ for a re entry permit.

Has any of you CRiers done it lately?? and what is the procedure??

Once again, conflicting reports.

I'd say no, it can't be done without paying for the reentry permit.

Having said that I know people who claim to have done it using a photo copy of their passport rather than the original but I personally doubt the reliability of their information.

Similar shopping is available on the Mae Sai side of the border and if you're interested in the p*rate DVD m*vies they're sold openly in Chiang Mai at a slightly higher price.

Yeah, conflicting reports as I posted the same question on the visa and immigration forum. I'll just give it a try and post my report....sometimes in a week or so.

Not really looking for pirate cds and FYI they are [used to be] 40THB in Tachilek and they are 90-100THB in CM.

What I would like to get is a little cheap wine and see how it's changed since the last time I went[5+ yrs]. Not worth 1,000thb for sure.

The wine shopping there is the best I've seen it in the past 5 years. The duty free shop opposite immigration in particular has a good selection reasonably priced.

You could always take your Thai wife, assuming you have one of course, who could cross on a border pass and telephone the selection to you.

(You would need to teach her how to say things like Chateau d'Yquem first though).

I have heard conflicting reports on crossing the Maesai border without getting a re entry stamp in your passport if you have a 1 yr single entry visa. I just want to cross over for a couple of hours to shop in Tachelek, but don't want to pay the 1,000THB+ for a re entry permit.

Has any of you CRiers done it lately?? and what is the procedure??

You'd better stop at the Immigration Office, just 1 km before the boarder. And ask them, than you are sure what you can do or not....

Good luck.

Done it on a photocopy many times, but I have a 1 year non-O multiple entry visa, issued in Oz. So I've already paid for it. A very realistic "policy", does not waste pages in your passport each time.

You could just rock up at the border, with 2 photocopies, hand the passport over & just ask them if you can go on a photocopy for 1 hr. They either quietly say yes 100 baht or laugh & say no, go away. No ventured nothing gained.

OR

Pay to upgrade your visa to multiple entry & you can do it, whenever. Once you've paid for the multiple re-entry you will more than likely use the entries & do some litttle shopping trips from Mae Sai / Chiang Khong / Mae Sot, wherever is convenient at the time. No need to lock yourself in the country. Get out & enjoy.

Edited by davidgtr

I have also entered Burma a number of times with just my 1 year retirement visa. They ask me if I want it stamped, and I always say 'no'. The best idea I think is to get a re-entry permit. It is a lot safer than getting a new visa..

And both the Thais and the Burmese accepted this David? I'm running on a Non-Im B multi-entry at the moment.

I like the idea of saving passport pages. I'm on my fourth passport since 1998.

Yep, no trouble. Like I said, done it many times.

You do not even need a day pass. I have done it literally hundreds of times. First you make two copies of your passport, You leave your original passport at the border in the Thai passport office. (They check if your passport and stampo are still valid) You pay the regular amount to the Burmese bean counters, you get a piece of paper with a number, just like you should have left your real passport. You do you thing in tachilek, come back, pick up the copy of your passport and than you return to Thailand with the copy that bears a Burmese stamp. Than you walk around the building and pick up youir original passport. So no need to ask a re entry permit.

You do not even need a day pass. I have done it literally hundreds of times. First you make two copies of your passport, You leave your original passport at the border in the Thai passport office. (They check if your passport and stampo are still valid) You pay the regular amount to the Burmese bean counters, you get a piece of paper with a number, just like you should have left your real passport. You do you thing in tachilek, come back, pick up the copy of your passport and than you return to Thailand with the copy that bears a Burmese stamp. Than you walk around the building and pick up youir original passport. So no need to ask a re entry permit.

Yes i can confirm this, i did the same thing a couple of days ago and it was the 2nd time i have done this.it is particularly convenient as it does not use up pages in your PP with stamps, and like a previous poster mentioned the duty free shop has a good selection of wines from 199B

• 8 months later...
is that, you leave the copy of your original passport at thai passport office,not your real passport, if not why 2copies of passport.

If we are talking about Tachie Lek up in the Mai sai area then you do not need to take or get your passport stamped, fill in a TM card or any thing else.

You go to the Thai immigration desk tell them you not want to take your passport, have i think it is Two copies of your passport front page at the ready and the Thai immigration will give you a ONE DAY PASS you take the one day pass across the border to the Burmese Immigration office show them , have your picture taken hand over 500 BHT and they give you a card that you represent when coming back they (Burmese) then give you your Thai pass back (Piece of paper back/one day pass) , you take this back to the Thai immigration and hand it back and collect your passport no stamps no TM card to fill in.

I believe it is the equivalent to a one day pass.

I might have missed some thing out but i am sure some one will correct me :)

I believe before you had the option of paying $5 US or 500 Bht but now it is just 500 Bht as they have cottoned on that 500Bht is worth ore than the $10 US (330 Bht Approx)

Note i have copied and pasted this from my previous post from a previous thread on the subject titled .....Border Shopping In Masae Or Burma, temporary border crossing visa

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Border-Shopp...47#entry3085247

If we are talking about Tachie Lek up in the Mai sai area then you do not need to take or get your passport stamped, fill in a TM card or any thing else.

You go to the Thai immigration desk tell them you not want to take your passport, have i think it is Two copies of your passport front page at the ready and the Thai immigration will give you a ONE DAY PASS you take the one day pass across the border to the Burmese Immigration office show them , have your picture taken hand over 500 BHT and they give you a card that you represent when coming back they (Burmese) then give you your Thai pass back (Piece of paper back/one day pass) , you take this back to the Thai immigration and hand it back and collect your passport no stamps no TM card to fill in.

I might have missed some thing out but i am sure some one will correct me :)

I believe before you had the option of paying $5 US or 500 Bht but now it is just 500 Bht as they have cottoned on that 500Bht is worth ore than the $10 US (330 Bht Approx)

Note i have copied and pasted this from my previous post from a previous thread on the subject titled .....Border Shopping In Masae Or Burma, temporary border crossing visa

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Border-Shopp...47#entry3085247

Take no notice of the rest of if's and maybes this guy is spot on

• 2 weeks later...

planning to do another day pass crossing into burma with single or double entry tourist visa providing you stay for a day only and have 10 us dollars or 500 baht to burma copy passport and passport and 100 baht to thai immigration can visit burma for the day only thai people only pay i think 20 baht only good to take a thai girlfriend or friend with you in case you need some language translation of the border rules i did last time and do it again this weekend

cheers frank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Didn't use passport!!! (although i standby it in my pocket and i've got multi re-entry permit, just in case...)

Helps if you look asian!!!(i won't recommend you try my method if you look western)

You must have Thai driving license!!!

2 photocopy of Thai driving license (photo ID) pay 50 Baht and another 10 Baht at Burma side...Done it thrice.

Disclaimer: Take note that i'm actually cheating, i saved on USD that i can use to shop...^^'

I had a PM from a former regular poster here who told me that you "just ask for a VIP pass" and pay 100B.

Once again, this is only hearsay, I have had no personal experience in this.

I finally did this last week, works very well. You still pay the 500B/$10 on the Burma side though.

I had a PM from a former regular poster here who told me that you "just ask for a VIP pass" and pay 100B.

I finally did this last week, works very well. You still pay the 500B/$10 on the Burma side though.

There are no conflicting reports on this.

Facts

1. You can pay 100 baht to the Thai authorities to cross temporarily into Burma without stamping your passport( as stated get 2 copies of your passport) and ask only at the border crossing.

2.The fee for entering Burma is 10 dollars.( if you choose to give 500 baht, up to you)

(The Burmeese immigration will try to get baht from you, but 10 dollars is the official fee).

These facts are based on approx 30 border crossings over a 5 year period wiith friends.

Edited by dindong

I too did the VIP Day-Pass for the first time, about a month ago, all went smoothly. I myself left the country for a few hours, however my passport didn't, thus avoiding the need for a re-entry permit.

Thanks to posters who had briefed me on this system ! :)

Strangely enough, the old sign saying '$10 or 500B', on the wall in the Burmese Immigration office, seems to have fallen-down and disappeared ! Funny that ! :D

• 2 years later...

I might have missed some thing out but i am sure some one will correct me biggrin.gif

http://www.thaivisa....47#entry3085247

Can anyone confirm if the above is still true? Can you still do this at the crossing point or do you need to go to the Immigration Building first? I have done it many times as described before they changed the system but not for a few years now. Am planning to go on Friday this week so would appreciate a heads-up.

I might have missed some thing out but i am sure some one will correct me biggrin.gif

Can anyone confirm if the above is still true? Can you still do this at the crossing point or do you need to go to the Immigration Building first? I have done it many times as described before they changed the system but not for a few years now. Am planning to go on Friday this week so would appreciate a heads-up.

Yes, it still works - however, I have had to pay 200 baht each time (at the Thai side), along with the 500 baht for the Burmese...

You can get photocopies of your passport from a shop just to the left of the border entrance (when facing the border from the Thai side) for 10 baht. Once you have those, just go up to the window and speak to the border guards.

I've managed to get a VIP pass with my UK driving license twice before, but last time I went (about a month ago) they told me this had been stopped. It is now passport copies only apparently (which would be the same in any other country smile.png )!

Have fun,

M

Yes, it still works - however, I have had to pay 200 baht each time (at the Thai side), along with the 500 baht for the Burmese...

You can get photocopies of your passport from a shop just to the left of the border entrance (when facing the border from the Thai side) for 10 baht. Once you have those, just go up to the window and speak to the border guards.

I've managed to get a VIP pass with my UK driving license twice before, but last time I went (about a month ago) they told me this had been stopped. It is now passport copies only apparently (which would be the same in any other country smile.png )!

Have fun,

M

Many thanks mistephenso.

I wonder if a Thai drivers licence will work? I'll give it a try and update this tread after my trip if anything has changed...

--

Liberator

I've never even thought about using anything else except my passport; the Thais keep your passport until you return and I always assumed that that was their guarantee you would.

If you had no intentions of returning to Thailand then the loss of a local drivers licence would hardly be a compelling reason to come back.

Passport a requirement along with 2 photoscopies of the main (face) page and B100 (at Thailand immigration, right hand line).

In Myanmar Immigration, B500 - they don't accept US money (does anyone anymore??)

Many thanks mistephenso.

I wonder if a Thai drivers licence will work? I'll give it a try and update this tread after my trip if anything has changed...

--

Liberator

I have used my Thai drivers licence many times when crossing into Burma with VIP pass. Last time was about 3-4 weeks ago. For some reason Burma immigration will not accept US currency $10 dollars when entering with VIP pass but they will accept US currency when officially entering the country with passport/stamp Etc. A few months ago the Duty free shop on the bridge renovated the interior and now have a wider selection of single malt whiskeys, Etc.

BTW, Have bought many bottles of excellent wines and spirits in Taichalek for years and never once had a problem with a knockoff.