Day Pass To Cross Maesai Border

jaideeguy

• 4 months later...

Didn't use passport!!! (although i standby it in my pocket and i've got multi re-entry permit, just in case...)

Helps if you look asian!!!(i won't recommend you try my method if you look western)

You must have Thai driving license!!!

2 photocopy of Thai driving license (photo ID) pay 50 Baht and another 10 Baht at Burma side...Done it thrice.

Disclaimer: Take note that i'm actually cheating, i saved on USD that i can use to shop...^^'

You cheating, naughty foreigner! Just pay the $10 like everyone else...anyway how is it that they accepted your Thai license as ID? Foreigners are always asked for passports, irrespective of your appearance.

I'm Asian and often mistaken for Thai due to my complexion, tan skin tone and my proficiency in Northern Thai language (I sound exactly like them and nobody could tell the different.)

I haven't been across for more than 3 years, just shop around Mai Sai would be sufficient.

Passport a requirement along with 2 photoscopies of the main (face) page and B100 (at Thailand immigration, right hand line).

In Myanmar Immigration, B500 - they don't accept US money (does anyone anymore??)

Many thanks mistephenso.

I wonder if a Thai drivers licence will work? I'll give it a try and update this tread after my trip if anything has changed...

--

Liberator

I have done the mae sai border a dozen or more times over the past years....during those years every few months someone posts here that they no longer accept a $10 usd....and then everytime I go they accept it with no problem.....I always take crispy new notes, smile, hand it to them and never had a hint of refusal.

• 2 months later...

Liberator

I have done the mae sai border a dozen or more times over the past years....during those years every few months someone posts here that they no longer accept a $10 usd....and then everytime I go they accept it with no problem.....I always take crispy new notes, smile, hand it to them and never had a hint of refusal.

Lat time I did a trip to Barma they asked me for 500 Baht. I offered $ 10 US as I had a note. They said No, only if you are staying at least overnight. So, I said I would stay and paid the $10 US. They kept questioning me about whether or not I was coming back the same day.

I did my shopping, DVDs and returned half an hour later but my passport hadn't been sent across to the other side of the road, so there was another short delay while someone went to collect it and I was cleared out.

Liberator

Lat time I did a trip to Barma they asked me for 500 Baht. I offered $ 10 US as I had a note. They said No, only if you are staying at least overnight. So, I said I would stay and paid the $10 US. They kept questioning me about whether or not I was coming back the same day.

I did my shopping, DVDs and returned half an hour later but my passport hadn't been sent across to the other side of the road, so there was another short delay while someone went to collect it and I was cleared out.

The mind boggles.

You put yourself in a potentially awkward situation by lying to Immigration for the sake of approx

180 Baht.

I just don't get it.

Years ago I got arrested by the Lao Army at 2am and taken in for questioning because I was living in what they considered to be a "non-tourist area" on a tourist visa.

Nothing came of it but it was certainly a "potentially awkward situation" and I avoid them ever since.

It's just not worth taking short cuts to save a few baht, I've had my 10USD refused a couple of times and handed over the 500B without question.

• Like 1

Years ago I got arrested by the Lao Army at 2am and taken in for questioning because I was living in what they considered to be a "non-tourist area" on a tourist visa. Nothing came of it but it was certainly a "potentially awkward situation" and I avoid them ever since. It's just not worth taking short cuts to save a few baht, I've had my 10USD refused a couple of times and handed over the 500B without question.

I saw a guy have his $10 refused about 6 months ago, so

just assumed they were enforcing the 500 Baht.

I've only give 500 Baht anyway as I can't be bothered running

around trying to obtain $10 US for the sake of saving $5.

I've got a bundle someone gave me this year for upgrading an airline seat online for her. (People wont use their credit card on the internet but think it's alright for me to do so) so I'll try one next month when I go up there.

I'm not concerned they look like being better value than my AUD anyway. sad.png

The mind boggles.

You put yourself in a potentially awkward situation by lying to Immigration for the sake of approx

180 Baht.

I just don't get it.

I didn't give in to their scam. Get it?

180 Baht is a bottle of good Australian wine at the duty free shop.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Thee way I look at it is that they are really acting as ilegal money changers. Their drug lord bosses give them a certain amount of burmese money they want changed the border people change it if they have been given enough that day and accept dollars but if they do not have enough people buying the dollars off them they will not.

Pay in dallars if you can but remember you are really money laundering.

My take is that the price is $10, if they have 100 farang crossing a day they have to account for $1000.

By charging 500B they whip down the money changer with the 50,000B and buy a $1000 and pocket the difference.

Remember that everyone including the money changer probably has their beak dipped in this so the take is certainly less than 180B a traveller.

It's just part of travelling in third world countries.

Make a big deal of demanding your rights and you will probably get them... along with a few lefts as well. laugh.png

Edited by sceadugenga

The mind boggles.

180 Baht.

I just don't get it.

I didn't give in to their scam. Get it?

180 Baht is a bottle of good Australian wine at the duty free shop.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Well, while you're over the road getting your $6 bottle of quality wine,

the govt officials that you're dicking around have custody of your passport.

I wouldn't risk pissing off Immigration Officers for a measly $6, but you obviously

have no qualms about it.

Let's just hope that you don't run into one who's having a bad day.

• Like 1