Our Clubs In Europe Thread............ All Competitions.

redrus

English clubs to continue European superiority

12:41pm UK, Thursday February 12, 2009 •

The first knock-out round of the Champions League begins later this month

Since Liverpool’s victory in the Champions League Final in 2005, the competition has been dominated by the superiority of English clubs. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United have all made appearances in the last four finals.

As we head into the second round knockout matches, there is no reason why the English clubs won’t continue their fine form in the world’s most prestigious club competition. For Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal, their mission is to complete the Italian job. They’ll be looking to overcome the three three Italian giants: Inter Milan, Juventus and Roma respectively.

Inter Milan may be top of the league by seven points, but they have stuttered to pole position. Jose Mourinho has done an adequate job at the Milan club so far. However he doesn’t have the same ’special’ bond with the Inter players as he did with his old Chelsea players.

Ferguson will be aware of the threat posed by Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He will look to nullify the threat from the giant Swede. With Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand - possibly the best defensive partnership in world football - United should be capable of keeping Ibrahimovic quiet. Add their defensive solidarity to their attacking prowess with Dimitar Berbatov, Cristiano Ronaldo, Carlos Tevez and Wayne Rooney, I can only see one out come: a United victory.

Juventus who head the chasing pack in Serie A could prove a difficult team to overcome for Chelsea. The ‘Old Lady’ are vastly experienced with the likes of Alessandro Del Piero, Paolo Nedved and Gianluigi Buffon. Blended with the youth of Sebastian Giovinco. They are coached by Claudio Ranieri, former Chelsea manager, famously christened ‘The Tinker Man’. Ranieri will undoubtedly be looking to avenge his unfair dismissal by Chelsea.

Chelsea are a club in turmoil at the moment. Gus Hiddink, who was appointed as manager on Tuesday, will have the unenviable task of guiding Chelsea through a potentially rough few weeks. The outcome of the match: if Hiddink can placify the tension within the dressing room and find a way of accommodating all his stars then one would expect to see Chelsea in the quarter finals.

Both Arsenal and Roma have experienced a difficult first half of the season. Both teams are lying in fifth place and looking to force themselves back into the Champions League places. Roma have stumbled their way through Serie A this season. They have been lying in the bottom half of the Scudetto for most of the season, but with a recent turn around in form now find themselves in fifth, one point behind Fiorentina.

Arsenal might just sneak it if they can defend well at Stadio Olimpico.

Arsenal have also suffered from patchy form this season. They have struggled to cope with the loss of Mathieu Flamini. Also the rise of Aston Villa has thus far deprived them of their annual Champions League spot. There is an incentive for both clubs to put together a good run in the Champions League.

Success in Europe would certainly eclipse the disappointment of their poor domestic league showings. Outcome: very close to call, but Arsenal might just sneak it if they can defend well at Stadio Olimpico.

Finally, Liverpool face Real Madrid in a tie that will excite Liverpool fans. Rafa Benitez holds a good record against Spanish clubs in the Champions League with his only loss against Barcelona. Real Madrid, who lie in second position in La Liga have been disappointing this season and have failed to keep up with pace setters Barcelona. Manager Juande Ramos has steadied the ship after the departure of Bernt Schuster.

But arguably for Benitez and Liverpool there will never be a better time to play Madrid. Liverpool who have for the first time in years mounted a title challenge, are a team high on confidence. They have proven over the years a difficult team to beat in Europe, with their dogged persistence one of their key attributes.

Fernando Torres will be looking to rekindle old rivalries in Madrid and could well find himself on the score sheet. Outcome: if Liverpool can keep a clean sheet at the Bernabéu, and with a electric atmosphere at Anfield, they should be able to overcome the Spanish giants.

redrus

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English clubs to continue European superiority

12:41pm UK, Thursday February 12, 2009 •

The first knock-out round of the Champions League begins later this month

Since Liverpool’s victory in the Champions League Final in 2005, the competition has been dominated by the superiority of English clubs. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United have all made appearances in the last four finals.

As we head into the second round knockout matches, there is no reason why the English clubs won’t continue their fine form in the world’s most prestigious club competition. For Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal, their mission is to complete the Italian job. They’ll be looking to overcome the three three Italian giants: Inter Milan, Juventus and Roma respectively.

Inter Milan may be top of the league by seven points, but they have stuttered to pole position. Jose Mourinho has done an adequate job at the Milan club so far. However he doesn’t have the same ’special’ bond with the Inter players as he did with his old Chelsea players.

Ferguson will be aware of the threat posed by Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He will look to nullify the threat from the giant Swede. With Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand - possibly the best defensive partnership in world football - United should be capable of keeping Ibrahimovic quiet. Add their defensive solidarity to their attacking prowess with Dimitar Berbatov, Cristiano Ronaldo, Carlos Tevez and Wayne Rooney, I can only see one out come: a United victory.

Juventus who head the chasing pack in Serie A could prove a difficult team to overcome for Chelsea. The ‘Old Lady’ are vastly experienced with the likes of Alessandro Del Piero, Paolo Nedved and Gianluigi Buffon. Blended with the youth of Sebastian Giovinco. They are coached by Claudio Ranieri, former Chelsea manager, famously christened ‘The Tinker Man’. Ranieri will undoubtedly be looking to avenge his unfair dismissal by Chelsea.

Chelsea are a club in turmoil at the moment. Gus Hiddink, who was appointed as manager on Tuesday, will have the unenviable task of guiding Chelsea through a potentially rough few weeks. The outcome of the match: if Hiddink can placify the tension within the dressing room and find a way of accommodating all his stars then one would expect to see Chelsea in the quarter finals.

Both Arsenal and Roma have experienced a difficult first half of the season. Both teams are lying in fifth place and looking to force themselves back into the Champions League places. Roma have stumbled their way through Serie A this season. They have been lying in the bottom half of the Scudetto for most of the season, but with a recent turn around in form now find themselves in fifth, one point behind Fiorentina.

Arsenal might just sneak it if they can defend well at Stadio Olimpico.

Arsenal have also suffered from patchy form this season. They have struggled to cope with the loss of Mathieu Flamini. Also the rise of Aston Villa has thus far deprived them of their annual Champions League spot. There is an incentive for both clubs to put together a good run in the Champions League.

Success in Europe would certainly eclipse the disappointment of their poor domestic league showings. Outcome: very close to call, but Arsenal might just sneak it if they can defend well at Stadio Olimpico.

Finally, Liverpool face Real Madrid in a tie that will excite Liverpool fans. Rafa Benitez holds a good record against Spanish clubs in the Champions League with his only loss against Barcelona. Real Madrid, who lie in second position in La Liga have been disappointing this season and have failed to keep up with pace setters Barcelona. Manager Juande Ramos has steadied the ship after the departure of Bernt Schuster.

But arguably for Benitez and Liverpool there will never be a better time to play Madrid. Liverpool who have for the first time in years mounted a title challenge, are a team high on confidence. They have proven over the years a difficult team to beat in Europe, with their dogged persistence one of their key attributes.

Fernando Torres will be looking to rekindle old rivalries in Madrid and could well find himself on the score sheet. Outcome: if Liverpool can keep a clean sheet at the Bernabéu, and with a electric atmosphere at Anfield, they should be able to overcome the Spanish giants.

redrus

I think United will go through comfortably.

Liverpool will squeeze through.

Arsenal will go out on away goals.

Chelsea will fail to score and will also go out.

Barcelona will win overall.

I think we'll struggle you know, in Italy at least without Nemanja, I think Liverpool will have the easier job J&D.

Arsenal and Chelsea are so so, Chelsea don't have home second leg do they, that is always an advantage so, yeah, they could go.

What's the odd's on a United V Barca final, it should be a corker on paper....?!?

Anyone out there with any UEFA aspirations, Villa, City and Spurs...............?

redrus

Ok my 2 pence worth.

Arsenal through all the rest out and by god how i hate Arsenal.

LOL

That'll be throw, will it....? :D Coming straight out of Hemlington that mate.............! :o

redrus

Anyone out there with any UEFA aspirations, Villa, City and Spurs...............?

Are we mere mortals of the UEFA, allowed to contribute to this thread then :D

Personally, i was glad to see us get past the group stages. It would be nice to progress even further now but we ain't ready to win it. On current performances, you've got to say Villa have a good chance of reaching the final.

BTW. Do the winners of the UEFA Cup get to enter the Champions League Qulaifying stage next year? Or is it just enter the UEFA Cup again? Forgive my naiveity (sp) but we ain't had much chance to learn the European rules :o

I think we'll struggle you know, in Italy at least without Nemanja, I think Liverpool will have the easier job J&D.

Arsenal and Chelsea are so so, Chelsea don't have home second leg do they, that is always an advantage so, yeah, they could go.

What's the odd's on a United V Barca final, it should be a corker on paper....?!?

redrus

Ive watched Inter many times this year, and even though they are top of Serie A, they are not playing well.

Roma and especially Juve are looking very strong right now.

Chelsea have got obvious problems and Arsenal dont impress me at all.

Having said all that, I think Barcelona are by far the best team in Europe right now.

Re UEFA, City could go all the way and win it, only 7/1 :D

On the other hand FC Copenhagen could well knock them out. Oh the inconsistency its great!!! :o

I think Villa could go well but I dont fancy Spurs.

All 4 English sides to progress into the next Round of the CL, possibly even quite comfortably..

Hopefully Barca win it overall..

Why would any English supporter want Barca to win?

i agree with msingh. if liverpool can't win it i'd like barca to.

on the ties i think united will have too much for inter, juventus will surprise chelsea and knock them out, roma will beat arsenal quite comfortably and we might just squeeze through against madrid, depending on when gerrard's back.

All 4 English sides to progress into the next Round of the CL, possibly even quite comfortably..

on the ties i think united will have too much for inter, juventus will surprise chelsea and knock them out, roma will beat arsenal quite comfortably and we might just squeeze through against madrid, depending on when gerrard's back.

i don't know, as hard as it would be for me to cheer for LP in the final (if we didn't make it), I would have a harder time cheering for Madrid, Barca or an Italian club.

I think an English club will reach the final again this year but the current favourites on form and style of play must be Barcelona.

i agree generally and barca are fantastic to watch this season, but it will be interesting to see them against a top european side over two legs.

I think you'd have to only be an English Football Supporter to understand Jimbo, absolutely no offence meant by that..

& i mean being an English National who is a Football Supporter, not an English Football Supporter..

You would have been one shocked little Boy in the Playgrounds at School where we all grew up Jimbo, i'll tell you that Mate, it's Religeon for many..

You think Liverpool Fans would want Man Ure to win it = Never in a million Years

You think Man Ure Fans would want Liverpool to win it = Never in a million Years

You think Arsenal Supporters would want Chelsea to win it = Never in a million Years

You think Chelsea Supporters would wnat Arsenal to win it = Never in a million Years

& it goes on & on & isn't just restricted to the Clubs above..

But to answer the question of why being English i'd want Barca to win it, because firstly they are the best Team in the World to watch right now & secondly & most importantly, none of the above will win it then... :o

i don't know, as hard as it would be for me to cheer for LP in the final (if we didn't make it), I would have a harder time cheering for Madrid, Barca or an Italian club.

That's entirely up to you James but i think i can safely say you will be very much alone within the Man Utd Supporters, English ones at least, around the globe... :o

I think you'd have to only be an English Football Supporter to understand Jimbo, absolutely no offence meant by that..

I won't touch this one because I like you MS.

& i mean being an English National who is a Football Supporter, not an English Football Supporter..

You would have been one shocked little Boy in the Playgrounds at School where we all grew up Jimbo, i'll tell you that Mate, it's Religeon for many..

You think Liverpool Fans would want Man Ure to win it = Never in a million Years

You think Man Ure Fans would want Liverpool to win it = Never in a million Years

You think Arsenal Supporters would want Chelsea to win it = Never in a million Years

You think Chelsea Supporters would wnat Arsenal to win it = Never in a million Years

My reasoning is purely Platini and Crew. Cant stand the group and the more English football dominates, the better I say.

But to answer the question of why being English i'd want Barca to win it, because firstly they are the best Team in the World to watch right now & secondly & most importantly, none of the above will win it then... :o

True, Barca / Messi are certainly on form - but put any of our top teams in La Liga and I am sure you would find that they wouldn't be running away with the league.

I wouldn't mind too much if Arsenal or Chelsea won, as long as we wern't there, obviously....

Liverpool, behave....! :o I'd rather fuc_kin City won and THAT, is saying something....! :D

redrus

I wouldn't mind too much if Arsenal or Chelsea won, as long as we wern't there, obviously....

Liverpool, behave....! :o I'd rather fuc_kin City won and THAT, is saying something....! :D

redrus

I was just trying to get stevie to lighten up, LP would be the last EPL team I would want to win it. Happy now? :D:D

And thirdly and most importantly,the money is down. :D

redrus

quite. i'd rather an XI made up of hitler, mussolini, pol pot, genghis khan, peter sutcliffe, osama bin laden, idi amin, ivan the terrible, adolf eichmann, joe stalin and attila the hun won a match than manyoo.

redrus

quite. i'd rather an XI made up of hitler, mussolini, pol pot, genghis khan, peter sutcliffe, osama bin laden, idi amin, ivan the terrible, adolf eichmann, joe stalin and attila the hun won a match than manyoo.

:D

redrus

redrus

Seconded.Jack the Ripper would be a handy substitute if things started to go wrong.

As with many of your posts (obviously excluding Stoke will be relegated! :D ) I agree 100% with the above.

Lets just give as an example I was absolutely GUTTED when Manure beat Munich in the dying seconds .. .. GUTTED .. .. I so wanted there <deleted> spanked even if it meant a german team winning! Hatred of other teams run very deep and just because it's a European competition doesn't change that hatred!

redrus

peter sutcliffe, what ever did he do to earn such an esteemed grouping? :D

redrus

peter sutcliffe, what ever did he do to earn such an esteemed grouping? :D

i thought he was the original drummer in the beatles,must have been his brother stu.

Seconded.Jack the Ripper would be a handy substitute if things started to go wrong.

in hindsight though i think the team's a bit imbalanced.

too many right wingers. :o

in hindsight though i think the team's a bit imbalanced.

too many right wingers. :o

you have just shattered any preconceived myth that I or any other intelligent football fan had about LP supporters. You truly are funny folk.

As an English man i feel proud that we have the best league in the World - well at least in our opinion! So for me, to have an English team win the European Cup, whatever that team might be, means something as it validates this opinion.

All those years when the Italian teams did well in the competition, and those times when the Spanish teams have ruled, it's been difficult to take the taunts from those respective nationalities claiming that although the English Premier League might be popular world-wide, it was in fact an inferior league with a bit of pace but not much in the way of skill.

At the end of the day i guess i'd rather be taunted by a Liverpool fan than an Italian or a Spaniard, but that's because i put support for my country first - something that amongst club supporters is not that common (nor approved of) i know.