Strict Changes In Immigration Office Areas From February 15

In the north it lists Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai Airport. I was aware of only one immigration office in Chiang Mai - that being next to the airport. Is there another one?

The airport office is not an office it is the exit and entry functions only.

You will notice they list those for all the international airports.

The airport office is where I have handled all of my Thai immigration issues - multiple reentry, received the non-resident 'O' visa, and where I am currently on an extension for one month pending the one year extension being granted. So where do I go now (I live out in San Sai) to finish up the non-resident 'O' extension?

Presumably to the same office where you have been going. The Chiang Mai Immigrations Office is located adjacent to the airport (but outside the airport). "Airport" in the list George supplied refers to the immigrations facilities within the airport itself.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreigners living in Phatum Thani Province, Nonthaburi Province, Chainat Province, Lopburi Province, Saraburi province, Singburi province, Ayutthaya Province and Angtong province can visit either Ayutthaya Immigration, Chonburi Immigration or Nakhon Pathom Immigration offices.

I didn't see the word Nonthaburi on the PDF. Am I supposed to go elsewhere for my 90 day ED visa check-in other than Soi Suan Zoo?

In the north it lists Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai Airport. I was aware of only one immigration office in Chiang Mai - that being next to the airport. Is there another one?

The airport office is where I have handled all of my Thai immigration issues - multiple reentry, received the non-resident 'O' visa, and where I am currently on an extension for one month pending the one year extension being granted. So where do I go now (I live out in San Sai) to finish up the non-resident 'O' extension?

Presumably to the same office where you have been going. The Chiang Mai Immigrations Office is located adjacent to the airport (but outside the airport). "Airport" in the list George supplied refers to the immigrations facilities within the airport itself.

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks.

Following many problems during the last year or so with getting visa extensions processed at Jomtien Immigration, many long time xpat friends have been using the Bangkok immigration HQ to process their visa application and extension paperwork. Reports about BKK immigration admin have been very good, with processing and documentation requests exactly 'as published' and everything straight forward.

Tell me that what we are seeing here is simply the equivalent of a drug dealing 'turf war' - where an immigration office in a region where officials buy their jobs and routinely extract lucrative bribes to process applicants paperwork are trying to ensure that all punters 'on their turf' have to deal with them alone, and can't escape to the sanity of an alternative immigration center :o

I went to Bangkok a month ago and was told I could not extend my my visa there as I lived in the north.I said I knew many people who lived in he north but had renewed in Bangkok but they said not possible.So this to me seems OLD NEWS!

I had gone to do it in BK as I was going on to cambodia and explained that my visa was going to lapse so they kindly issued a re-entry permit..I wonder if I had said I lived in BK whether they would have issued it/ I believe we normally do not have to prove where we live do we? I suppose I could have said I lived in a hotel!

#Anyway I'am off on Monday comming to renew my visa (extention on grounds of retirement) to immergaration in the north so does anyone knoew now if I have to prove where I live?

Maybe this has been done to spread the work load around for our friends in immirgation..it does seem a bit silly not to be able to get a re-entry permit in any office for people who travel around the LOS....... :o

Following many problems during the last year or so with getting visa extensions processed at Jomtien Immigration, many long time xpat friends have been using the Bangkok immigration HQ to process their visa application and extension paperwork. Reports about BKK immigration admin have been very good, with processing and documentation requests exactly 'as published' and everything straight forward.

Tell me that what we are seeing here is simply the equivalent of a drug dealing 'turf war' - where an immigration office in a region where officials buy their jobs and routinely extract lucrative bribes to process applicants paperwork are trying to ensure that all punters 'on their turf' have to deal with them alone, and can't escape to the sanity of an alternative immigration center :o

I have been through 4 annual extensions for retirement reaons and have never paid a bribe. I think you are overstating things when you use the term 'routinely'...unless it applies to a single office somewhere in this Kingdom...but I doubt that it applies across the board.

The one that says Chiang Mai is the main office the one that you have been using.

The Chiang Mai Airport is the one I was writing about that is located within the airport terminal building.

Foreigners living in Phatum Thani Province, Nonthaburi Province, Chainat Province, Lopburi Province, Saraburi province, Singburi province, Ayutthaya Province and Angtong province can visit either Ayutthaya Immigration, Chonburi Immigration or Nakhon Pathom Immigration offices.

I didn't see the word Nonthaburi on the PDF. Am I supposed to go elsewhere for my 90 day ED visa check-in other than Soi Suan Zoo?

The didn't put them on the list because they are part of the Bangkok metropolitan area.

What they are doing is letting you go to the nearest office for these provinces because the are all small and there is not an office in any of them. So it's your choice.

I still do 90 day runs at present soon to marry so I did wonder what office to use when it came around to it, now the decision as been made for me

I'm south Roi Et Issarn so distance wise Surin looked best at 100 kms, Korat which I read where good is around 200 kms & Muckdahan which is where I cross the boarder is 185 kms well that's sorted it TIT. :o

The didn't put them on the list because they are part of the Bangkok metropolitan area.

What they are doing is letting you go to the nearest office for these provinces because the are all small and there is not an office in any of them. So it's your choice.

Thank you so much for that info. "the sun will come out tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow....." :o

I went to Bangkok a month ago and was told I could not extend my my visa there as I lived in the north.I said I knew many people who lived in he north but had renewed in Bangkok but they said not possible.So this to me seems OLD NEWS!

I had gone to do it in BK as I was going on to cambodia and explained that my visa was going to lapse so they kindly issued a re-entry permit..I wonder if I had said I lived in BK whether they would have issued it/ I believe we normally do not have to prove where we live do we? I suppose I could have said I lived in a hotel!

#Anyway I'am off on Monday comming to renew my visa (extention on grounds of retirement) to immergaration in the north so does anyone knoew now if I have to prove where I live?

Maybe this has been done to spread the work load around for our friends in immirgation..it does seem a bit silly not to be able to get a re-entry permit in any office for people who travel around the LOS....... :o

They are doing exactly what you wrote. They did that in Bangkok to reduce their workload. What they are doing now is making it official and making a notification so that you will know where to go.

If you are on an extension of stay and making 90 day reports you need an address for those and when you do an extension you have to give an address. Most of the offices just accept the address you put on the application. For the re-entry permit issue just get one when you do your extension. A single entry would be good for the full time of your extension and if you plan on going out more than a coulple of times get a multiple entry.

Anybody know the what the rationale is behind these changes ?

Jurisdiction of each Immigration office is one reason.

Yes george, I am sure you are right, but surely the immigration rules are meant to be the same at what ever office you go to. Are you implying that they have realised that this has not been the case and perhaps some offices were doing more business than others :o

Thank you so much for that info. "the sun will come out tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow....." :o

I think any of those other offices would be better than the zoo as you called it.

Have Work Permit 1 yr visa

Have 2 homes one in Pttya other in BKK, Live and work alernately both places

Up to now did 90 day reporting wherever I was at the time, Now ?....

I think you will still be able to do your report at either one but it would best to do it at the one where you get your extension done.

I think Pattaya would be better than Bangkok.

Have Work Permit 1 yr visa

Have 2 homes one in Pttya other in BKK, Live and work alernately both places

Up to now did 90 day reporting wherever I was at the time, Now ?....

I think you will still be able to do your report at either one but it would best to do it at the one where you get your extension done.

I think Pattaya would be better than Bangkok.

Since they will have no way of knowing where you REALLY live, whichever address you put down on your form is the place of residence they are going to take. I guess if you put pattaya as your address, you'll have to do it in Pattaya. I don't think there's space for you to put more than 1 address on that form.

I wonder how this will affect people extending a tourist visa, since they don't have any registered address.

The address of a tourist is the hotel, house, condo, etc where he is staying on the day he makes the application for extension of stay.

--

Maestro

I do not understand why there should be any hand-wringing over this...

Just go to the office that serves the area where you live and be done with it. In the case of those on tourist visa, etc...just go to the most convenient office and use a nearby hotel as your address. This is not rocket science folks.

Personally I like it...the next time I have to go to my "serving" Immigration Office, there should be fewer farang clogging up the office.

Anyone want to guess where I live? :o

"Of course, after creating general mayhem and confusion, it'll be changed again in a few months, like the 40k/month income requirement and 400K in the bank c*ck up."

Or the defunct requirement to trek to the MFA office and stand in line for a day for a stamp -- or the requirement to provide copies of a valid bank credit card, etc., etc. ( on my 1st Retirement Visa, I was instructed to return in the afternoon to pick up my passport and bring a bottle of Black-Label "for my boss" - I asked if that was legal - she said "yes, and my boss will approve your visa" -- I dutifully complied -- later, my friends rolled on the floor laughing & saying I can't believe they got away with that one again! )

The only "problem" i am aware of, is that instead of the tea bits, they are looking after a whole meal at the most expansive restaurant for a whole forthnight, unless looking at gentlemans wearing pink tops and slippers while they walk around shaking their fat ass in a weird way during their official duties is another problem for you, it look kind of funny to me, however i didn't wanna pay for the show and i went straight to bkk, were the officials might be walking around the office with toothbrush and toothpaste while another one is too busy choosing some eyeglasses from a "walking vendor" to pay attention at who's waiting for a service, however, with a bit of patient and strong sense of humor you might eventually get what you need without adding any "extras"...good luck! :D