Strict Changes In Immigration Office Areas From February 15

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to answer this question but after reading the list of immigration areas I checked my address on the proof of income letter I got two weeks ago from the British Consulate in Pattaya, the last part of my address reads Amphur Sriracha, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chon Buri.

The way I am reading the list of immigration areas this means that I can continue to use the Pattaya immigration office as I have done previously. I would be very happy if this is the case as I have always found them much easier to deal with than Sriracha. But as I only live 10 minutes away from the Sriracha office and 30 minutes away from the Pattaya office this doesn't make sense to me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Your address doesn't make any sense either. It contains 2 Amphurs and one subdistrict. It shouldn't have

Nongprue, Banglamung in it.

I think if Pattaya enforces the new rules they will send you to Sriiacha.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you start going from 15th to a NEW Immigration Office where is the paperwork trail

A friend of mine who always used the Immigration office in Phibun Maghasan was told by post that his file had been moved to Phu Sing Immigration and he was told that he should use that office in future.

No offence, but it's a pretty useless pdf file isn't it, I mean it doesn't give the locations(addresses) of each relevant office. (Does it?)

I agree. Immigration has done a poor job of listing addresses and there are offices that do not show up on their website as checkpoints.

If you go to this webpage it lists the central checkpoints. If you move the mouse pointer over Checkpoints it shows different areas of the country then click on the one where you live.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=central

Also the checkpoint names are links to checkpoint websites if they have one. You will get a blank page if they don't. For example: Aranyaprathet Checkpoint

Also this link gives a list of offices with phone numbers. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=phone

Anybody know the what the rationale is behind these changes ? 5555555555555555555 Stupid question I know !

Quite simply, Its all about the money..!!!!!

Yes but probably not what you think as in over 20 years i never had to pay the so-called tea-money (perhaps having all the documents in order helps). The extension is 1900bt, they probably want to make sure to collect this from their 'local' foreigners preventing them going to another office.

Anyone know where the Klong Toey office is?

From their website which is entirely in Thai.

ด่านตรวจคนเข้าเมืองท่าเรือกรุงเทพ : ถนนสุนทรโกษา แขวงคลองเตย เขตคลองเตย กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110 :

โทรศัพท์ 0-2249-0806-7 ,0-2249-4122 : โทรสาร 0-2249-0807

Edit: For translation and map see this post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2507773

The link is not working for me, can anyone tell me where I will have to go, i'm in Nakhon Sawan

Fanxs in advance.

Regards

Block

Tak

Tak>>>Mae sot???

Yes, your office is called Tak-immigration but located in Thasalud, just outside Mae Sod on the border with Burma.

So if you start going from 15th to a NEW Immigration Office where is the paperwork trail

A friend of mine who always used the Immigration office in Phibun Maghasan was told by post that his file had been moved to Phu Sing Immigration and he was told that he should use that office in future.

That's because Phibun is doing a good job. I recently got a letter from them telling me about the changes made to the police order for my marriage extension. I wonder how many other offices sent out letters like that?

In the north it lists Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai Airport. I was aware of only one immigration office in Chiang Mai - that being next to the airport. Is there another one?

The airport office is not an office it is the exit and entry functions only.

You will notice they list those for all the international airports.

The airport office is where I have handled all of my Thai immigration issues - multiple reentry, received the non-resident 'O' visa, and where I am currently on an extension for one month pending the one year extension being granted. So where do I go now (I live out in San Sai) to finish up the non-resident 'O' extension?

The one that says Chiang Mai is the main office the one that you have been using.

The Chiang Mai Airport is the one I was writing about that is located within the airport terminal building.

I understand. Thank you.

I am in Phetchabun and the PDF says I must go to Nan. THAT IS 14 HOURS OF DRIVING.

Using the Bangkok office was no extra driving since I sometimes go there anyway. The new rules are a catastrophe, this is worse than being stuck doing a visa run bus.

Although I live in Sisaket Province (Khun Han) I ahve done my 2 last renewals (1 year extension, retirement) at Kap Cheong.

The only reason is that Phu Sing Immigration (which serves Sisaket) insist on a medical certificate although it is not an official requirement for nowmore than 3 years.....

Oh well will go to the local quack and get a medical certificate to please the guys at Phu Sing

As for the requirement to apply at the local immigration office taking care of the district where you have your registered address, it seems logical to me.This is also how it works in Japan, no way you could apply in Tokyo if your address is registered in Osaka but then in Japan there is no difference in required documents between offices neither.....

I am in Phetchabun and the PDF says I must go to Nan. THAT IS 14 HOURS OF DRIVING.

Using the Bangkok office was no extra driving since I sometimes go there anyway. The new rules are a catastrophe, this is worse than being stuck doing a visa run bus.

I used to live in Uttaradit and the Nan immigration office was just over 2 hours driving. It is a very nice friendly place with no waiting time (they even give you a glass of iced water while you wait and have a chat....Nan is a nice town and the forests around are great

Enjoy the drive

At least it should be only once a year for your extension. Get a re-entry permit then and do your 90 day reports by mail.

Link to doing reports by mail: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

Postage is now 10 baht and you only need copies of your passport photo page, visa, extension, and last entry stamps.

It is one thing is to do sight seeing in Nan which I have already done, but it is another thing to be forced to go there 4 times a year. It is good some of you only have to do this once a year, I don't have that option. So this is both inconvenient and wasteful, something to dread. Driving 14 hours to enjoy a shorter wait is clearly no consolation.

Edited by canopy

From February 15, 2009 all Thai Immigration offices has been strictly instructed that foreigners have to use the Immigration office that has administrative jurisdiction over the area where they live.

What's the definition of "where they live"?

How would this apply to someone just traveling around Thailand?

It's very simple, if in doubt - and you obviously are - don't travel!

If only enough of farangs (tourists, etc.) had the sense to vote with their feet, somebody would get the message. Unfortunately, those in power to make decisions, do not depend on the good outcomes. :o

It is one thing is to do sight seeing in Nan which I have already done, but it is another thing to be forced to go there 4 times a year. It is good some of you only have to do this once a year, I don't have that option. So this is both inconvenient and wasteful, something to dread. Driving 14 hours to enjoy a shorter wait is clearly no consolation.

Why 4 times a year.

You can still do 90 day reports by mail to Bangkok without a problem. That has not changed.

The mail in to Bangkok is meant for those that live far away from their office.

There seem to be some immigration offices/service areas missing from the PDF.

Specifically, I can't find an Ayutthaya immigration office or Nonthaburi/Pathumthani service area.

Yes, they are not listed. If I have to visit Ayuddyha (as a Nonthaburi resident) it will be a big drawback, especially as the new Chaengwattana office is just down the road. Has anyone got any further information? Metro Bangkok always used to include Nonthaburi and Samut Prakarn. Is there any address for Ayuddyha?

From February 15, 2009 all Thai Immigration offices has been strictly instructed that foreigners have to use the Immigration office that has administrative jurisdiction over the area where they live.

What's the definition of "where they live"?

How would this apply to someone just traveling around Thailand?

It's very simple, if in doubt - and you obviously are - don't travel!

If only enough of farangs (tourists, etc.) had the sense to vote with their feet, somebody would get the message. Unfortunately, those in power to make decisions, do not depend on the good outcomes. :o

If you are traveling around all the time it means you are probably a tourist and not on a long term extension or living here on visas.

If you are on a long term extension you are not moving around every few weeks or days and you have a home base of some kind.

For those who do not have long term extensions the rule makes no difference.

You can go to any immigration office.

Does this affect tourists? I mean, if you're in the country on a tourist visa, presumably you don't "live" anywhere in the Kingdom at all. So surely you should be able to give the name of a hotel near the immigration office and use any office you please?

It does not affect tourists. Those on visa exempt entries, VOA's, non immigrant visas. tourist visas and etc. will not be tied to an office. They can go to the nearest office to where they are at when they need to do business with immigration.

It's primarily for those who are on long term extensions of stay.

Joe (or another Mod): May I ask what is the basis for this assertion? Is it somewhere in a published regulation or has it been confirmed with a phone call to Immigration?

Specifically, I can't find an Ayutthaya immigration office or Nonthaburi/Pathumthani service area.

Yes, they are not listed. If I have to visit Ayuddyha (as a Nonthaburi resident) it will be a big drawback, especially as the new Chaengwattana office is just down the road. Has anyone got any further information? Metro Bangkok always used to include Nonthaburi and Samut Prakarn. Is there any address for Ayuddyha?

See this topic for info: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Ayutthaya-Im...ce-t183435.html
Foreigners living in Phatum Thani Province, Nonthaburi Province, Chainat Province, Lopburi Province, Saraburi province, Singburi province, Ayutthaya Province and Angtong province can visit either Ayutthaya Immigration, Chonburi Immigration or Nakhon Pathom Immigration offices.

Use the office that is nearest to you.

It has been noted that they are not on the list. There should be a revision posted later that shows them.

I have the same feeling, I can't find the Immigration Office in Hua Hin, or is this now closed ?

"Of course, after creating general mayhem and confusion, it'll be changed again in a few months, like the 40k/month income requirement and 400K in the bank c*ck up."

Or the defunct requirement to trek to the MFA office and stand in line for a day for a stamp -- or the requirement to provide copies of a valid bank credit card, etc., etc. ( on my 1st Retirement Visa, I was instructed to return in the afternoon to pick up my passport and bring a bottle of Black-Label "for my boss" - I asked if that was legal - she said "yes, and my boss will approve your visa" -- I dutifully complied -- later, my friends rolled on the floor laughing & saying I can't believe they got away with that one again! )

dont you love it!...................the thai way.

I have the same feeling, I can't find the Immigration Office in Hua Hin, or is this now closed ?

maybe you'll have to go to hat yai :o have a nice drive,maybe thats the idea to get us out and about to see more of thailand.

It was said by some poster that Immigration offices can do all extentions, but this is truly up to each and every offices own discretion. As I have recently written before, the CM office has a notice that reads only Extensions for Marriage or Retirement can be made or will be accpeted, thus eliminationg by their choice the Support of a Family member or child, REGARDLESS of the immigration law in effect.

Does leave things a little sticky if one cannot go elsewhere to another office to get the extension one requires.

Uncletom.

Does this affect tourists? I mean, if you're in the country on a tourist visa, presumably you don't "live" anywhere in the Kingdom at all. So surely you should be able to give the name of a hotel near the immigration office and use any office you please?

It does not affect tourists. Those on visa exempt entries, VOA's, non immigrant visas. tourist visas and etc. will not be tied to an office. They can go to the nearest office to where they are at when they need to do business with immigration.

It's primarily for those who are on long term extensions of stay.

Joe (or another Mod): May I ask what is the basis for this assertion? Is it somewhere in a published regulation or has it been confirmed with a phone call to Immigration?

Why would you have to go to any particular office if you are not living here?

Lets say your are on tourist visa and traveling around the country and you need to get a 30 day extension and you just happen to be in Phuket staying in a hotel. You would go to the Phuket office for your extension. The only address you have given immigration is the one you put on the TM 6 when you arrive. Do you think immigration would expect you to stay at that address the full time your are here.

People who have extensions have a file that immigration keeps at the immigration office where they applied for their extension. That is why they have to go to one particular office. Go back a few posts and you will find a post where it was mentioned that the Phibun immigration office had sent a letter telling a friend that they were sending his file to another office and he needed to go there for his next extension.

It was said by some poster that Immigration offices can do all extentions, but this is truly up to each and every offices own discretion. As I have recently written before, the CM office has a notice that reads only Extensions for Marriage or Retirement can be made or will be accpeted, thus eliminationg by their choice the Support of a Family member or child, REGARDLESS of the immigration law in effect.

Does leave things a little sticky if one cannot go elsewhere to another office to get the extension one requires.

Uncletom.

You are the only one that has written that.

Are you sure you are not quoting it out of context.

What about extensions based upon employment. I don't think everbody in CM that needs an extension is going somewhere else.