41 Policemen, Including 2 Major Generals, On Pirate Cd Blacklist

george

41 policemen, including 2 major generals, on pirate CD blacklist

BANGKOK: -- Two police major generals are on the blacklist of copyright-violation suspects.

Recently, it was leaked that the blacklist contains the names of 41 policemen.

"I have yet to see the list but I've got a confirmed report that two police major generals' name appear on it," Royal Thai Police spokesman Lt General Watcharapol Prasarnratchakij said Thursday.

He said fact-finding committees would be established to see how the accused policemen were involved in the copyright violations.

"If there are evidence against them, they will face disciplinary as well as legal actions," Watcharapol said.

-- The Nation 2009-02-12

As I have mentioned before, within my extended family there is a shop-owner of said wares that has a policeman [rank eludes me atm] as a husband. So she is protected from the obligatory raids some get during the announced 'crackdowns'.

So that 2 high-level police officers appear on this, uh...blacklist [surely it should say...watchlist?], is of no surprise. Perhaps only that they are so few...

I do think that there are some police men in Thailand that's not corrupt...

With the salary of the normal police officer I do understand that they try to make some extra money.

I know a policeman, he took a part time job at Carrefour to make ends meet- he is a sergant in the traffic police... Nice guy...

I do think that there are some police men in Thailand that's not corrupt...

With the salary of the normal police officer I do understand that they try to make some extra money.

I know a policeman, he took a part time job at Carrefour to make ends meet- he is a sergant in the traffic police... Nice guy...

Agreed. The ones I know also tell me they are not corrupt...

Only the ones I know aren't working part time at Carrefour and their additional earnings from their 'part time jobs' seem to be higher than someone would get at Carrefour :o

41 policemen, including 2 major generals, on pirate CD blacklist

BANGKOK: -- Two police major generals are on the blacklist of copyright-violation suspects.

Recently, it was leaked that the blacklist contains the names of 41 policemen.

"I have yet to see the list but I've got a confirmed report that two police major generals' name appear on it," Royal Thai Police spokesman Lt General Watcharapol Prasarnratchakij said Thursday.

He said fact-finding committees would be established to see how the accused policemen were involved in the copyright violations.

"If there are evidence against them, they will face disciplinary as well as legal actions," Watcharapol said.

-- The Nation 2009-02-12

If you cannot bit them, join them........ or, call 191

Edited by CHINWA

what is a blacklist?

Briggsy was being sarcastic. The actual definition of a blacklist is a list of names or items that are to be boycotted or shunned. Here's a tip for you: when you don't understand a word, go to Google and type "define:blacklist" without the quotes and substituting whatever word you're interested in.

Just face it.

Is there any of us, who don't enjoy the pirated CD/DVD/software from Pantip?

Not me, not any more. I just download everything I ever want via bittorrent

Me 2. I hope the pirates are suffering from poor sales..... love my bit torrents

If police rankings are anything like the Thai Army, then there are loads of Major Generals. ....so it rather dilutes the signifigance of that high-sounding rank.

Isn't there a top brass Thai cop who's been convicted of a crime, yet retains his rank and privileges? ....I believe his name rhymes with dioxin.

Same, Same, where ever you go there are crooked cops. A friend of mine in Hawaii got a knock on the door at 4 in the morning to find a man dressed in a police uniform who told him to stop cutting his line. Which means stop selling weed to my customers or else. This is a common occurance in Hawaii. I could go on for days about the corruption that exists there, but I will spare you all. Aloha

If police rankings are anything like the Thai Army, then there are loads of Major Generals. ....so it rather dilutes the signifigance of that high-sounding rank.

Isn't there a top brass Thai cop who's been convicted of a crime, yet retains his rank and privileges? ....I believe his name rhymes with dioxin.

They never end up in jail...murdered, yes but the agreement is they never get jail time.

The Young Chinese Policeman of whom you speak, borrowed US$500,000,000 and launched 4 or 5 Digital satelites over Thailand, named thaisat 1.. etc, now he owns huge telecom empire, he is a very good business man, but never corrupt, Take it from one who knows.

Kiwijor. :o

The Young Chinese Policeman of whom you speak, borrowed US$500,000,000 and launched 4 or 5 Digital satelites over Thailand, named thaisat 1.. etc, now he owns huge telecom empire, he is a very good business man, but never corrupt, Take it from one who knows.

How does a young policeman get a loan for US$500,000,000?

Exactly.

He was a multi billionaire long before he hit the political scene.

Those that think he stole all that money after he became prime minister don't know what they are talking about.

Probably have been reading Thai newspapers controlled by the yellow team.

Thai stock market returns between 2001 and 2006 = 161%

Thaksins companies gained 168% during this timeframe.

Now you know.

The privileged class in Bangkok couldn't stand seeing the poor (dark skinned) people getting attention.

"now he owns huge telecom empire" ?

If he's the policeman we're all thinking of, then he sold his telecom businesses to Singapore, 3-4 years ago, didn't he ?

Since when Temasek made a 60%+ loss, on their investment, take it from one who reads the FT ! :D

Yes he did. The key words here are "his company".

He was being harangued by the opposition about conflict of interest so he sold his stock.

Then, the Military Junta that threw him from office made a bunch of noise about selling state assets. :o

They also claimed he owed 500 million baht in tax. Why did they then sieze 76 billion?

Exactly.

He was a multi billionaire long before he hit the political scene.

Those that think he stole all that money after he became prime minister don't know what they are talking about.

Probably have been reading Thai newspapers controlled by the yellow team.

Thai stock market returns between 2001 and 2006 = 161%

Thaksins companies gained 168% during this timeframe.

Now you know.

The privileged class in Bangkok couldn't stand seeing the poor (dark skinned) people getting attention.

Multi BILLIONAIRE? you mean in Kip right?

Around year 2000, I recall he had about 3 billion USD. I think he lost a big chunk with the collapse of the internet bubble that year.

I used to follow the trials and tribulations of Thaksin 15 years ago when a lady friend of mine became his personal secretary.

If you dig up an old Bangkok Post you can see a picture her, Thaksin and the King on the front page.

Like I said earlier.

The local press loves to state he manipulated the government for personal profit but if you look at the stock market returns from that ear a different story emerges.

The SET went up 161% during that time and Thaksins stock went up 168%.

Edited by UncleFrank