Govt To Ask Discount From Department Stores To Boost Local Spending

george

Can I also haggle the price down at Tesco?

Lonely planet says I can haggle... :o

Yes, it is within your legal right to haggle in all stores, but it is in their legal right to refuse to lower any price.

Usually it's much easier to motivate a deduction in price when finding [superficial] flaws in a product or you, in the case of restaurants, you aren't happy withthe quality of the food or service.

I don't this idea is so bad. Give some cash to poor people. Yes, they will spend it because they have to. Suggest to stores to lower their prices to spur demand. This is contrary to the Thai tendency to raise prices when there is lower demand. Maybe they are just making a friendly suggestion and educative nudge.

Another good way to stimulate the Thai economy is to temporarily radically reduce the financial requirements for new retirement visas and also temporarily allow retirees to buy small plots of land to buy houses. New household formations are very stimulative. So if Thailand could attract a million new foreign retirees that is potentially a million new households, that could create 5 million Thai jobs.

Well the stores are already discounting 30-50 percent already if you read the signs in the stores. I truly believe that a shirt for my 2 year old daughter was originally was priced 1300 baht discounted to 650 baht... at this rate ... another 10 to 20 percent we might just get close to normal retail.
Why not just have the govt' send out vouchers that can only be used at department stores?

Maybe govt pays B1,000 for a B1,500 voucher, consumer goes into store, maybe spending more?

Win/win/win right? Better than B2,000 in cash

You got it, cheques will arrive 2-3mths later, by then the retail price will be +30% minus gov directive of 10-20% equals a minimum 10% additional profit to stores yes win/win :o

For any reason my wife believes if a TShirt (well a nice one) is cheap when it is labeled with 2000 Baht minus 70 %=600 Baht.

While on the market it might be 300 Baht.

Another good way to stimulate the Thai economy is to temporarily radically reduce the financial requirements for new retirement visas and also temporarily allow retirees to buy small plots of land to buy houses. New household formations are very stimulative. So if Thailand could attract a million new foreign retirees that is potentially a million new households, that could create 5 million Thai jobs.

sorry but you KNOW that will not happen!

Y?

its common sense, the new housing market is a big stimulus to the economy

proved in the west (though some what the cause of this mess)

thai rak thai, sing along

etc. etc.

I don't this idea is so bad. Give some cash to poor people. Yes, they will spend it because they have to. Suggest to stores to lower their prices to spur demand. This is contrary to the Thai tendency to raise prices when there is lower demand. Maybe they are just making a friendly suggestion and educative nudge.

Yes, it seems reasonable and very easy to implement, but unfortunately i do not think they will go any further than the actual 'condominium' law in regards to foreigners. Land in Thailand is for Thais only that is what being insecure means.

sorry but you KNOW that will not happen!

Y?

its common sense, the new housing market is a big stimulus to the economy

proved in the west (though some what the cause of this mess)

thai rak thai, sing along

etc. etc.

Yes I know. One reason I suggested a temporary window of legality which could potentially be politically justified in order to create jobs to weather the global economic crisis which could easily last 10 years. Its a shame it won't happen because Thailand could really benefit from it.