Govt May Use Teargas To Thwart Government House Seizure: Pm

george

Govt may resort to teargas usage to thwart Government House seizure: PM

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Friday that if necessary teargases may be used to prevent protesters from storming into the Government House complex.

But the use of teargases would be the last measure the government would resort to if protesters attempt to storm in and seize the complex, Abhisit said.

The protesters led by the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship plan to rally at the Government House Saturday to demand the government to give in to their four-point demand, including replacing the current charter with the 1997 one and dissolving the House.

Asked if he is confident that the Cabinet will be able to work at the Government House next week, Abhisit replied: "I intend so and we must be able to do it."

He said the authorities will make sure that they would follow all proper procedures before using teargases.

The prime minister said the authorities had reported that they have received training how to fire teargas canisters without inflicting injuries on demonstrators and had already checked quality of the teargases.

He said soldiers would also be deployed to help police protect the complex against seizure by the protesters.

-- The Nation 2009-02-13

That's what gov't agencies are supposed to do - to maintain a semblance of law and order. Let's hope it is cops rather than military who are manning the posts around Gov't House - as the military tend to get particularly heavy-handed when riled up.

No true!

It is a fact, and proven, that in "situations" most of the time soldiers are better controlled.

Soldiers are trained to obey and follow orders, policemen, having had a mobcontrol training, basically had a training to behave in a military way.

Policemen lacking this experience or training, tend to panic and when in panic don't hear or obey orders.

Or shoot teargas canisters directly at people.

Soldiers, trained in the right way, learn to shoot to kill, or to disperse fire to frighten enemies (opponents).

If I were a protester, I'd prefer to have trained opponents against me, soldiers.

Or trained policemen.

Most certainly not the underpaid, badly trained police that is mostly used for mob control or dispersion.

The best example of right behaviour was shown by ordinary trained policemen during the Moluccan protests in Holland.

Two groups of policemen, pistol drawn, finger on the trigger, advancing step by step against Moluccan protesters.

Not a sound, not a word, only the commanding officer could be heard.

Took about ten minutes, end of protest, no more problems.

Don't forget that in Europe and America the military get special training nowadays before going on a UN-mission.

Including crowd/mob handling and control.

And the police is following suit, slowly.

Seems a bit strange that it is ok now, or have i gone colour blind?

FF

It was wrong before and it’s wrong this time if happens. I am glad they are finally doing something to control this stupid way of power struggle. Also I believe the people who wanted and could take power are now in control. I just hope the Red shirt are smart to know play time s over and this is not a game

mh

There is no solution that will appease both sides. But both sides should realize constant switching and parliament dissolving makes Thailand look like a joke.

Turning governments after corrupted elections with decisions by law courts, grannies in yellow shirts with plastic handclappers left over from the olympics and the periodic coup makes Thailand look like a joke.

Why should either side realise this, because by definition one will be the winner and the other loser.

Illegal civil disobedience has been shown to be permitted, so all tactics are in play. It has become a winner takes all situation so why should any of the participants simply back down for the love of the game?

This situation isn't right, but was it ever?

They should stop them from taking over the complex... They should not stop them from protesting outside the complex... Use of teargas in the event the crowd gets out of control is standard pratice in most countries...

Now what I can't wait to see is all those PRO-PAD saying the goverment/police had no right to try and evict the PAD from the complex and were all up in arms over the failed attempt.... I wonder will they come on here now that it is the reds and say the same? The reds have a right to be their? The reds have a right to overtake it, the police should not stop it.... It should go on for months, then after months the reds have the right to take over the airport.....??? I really am looking forward to 3 posters comments on this one....

In this situation, if I were the reds I would probably provoke the "armed" forces until severe injury was inevitable and wait for the cameras to pitch up.

At the end of it all, knowing that the authorities are probably only armed with tear gas means that with enough gas masks all hel_l can break loose in 10 minutes.

The tolerance shown before Xmas was always going to prove to be rod against the current governments back. They got their bed now they have to sleep in it.

They should stop them from taking over the complex... They should not stop them from protesting outside the complex... Use of teargas in the event the crowd gets out of control is standard pratice in most countries...

Now what I can't wait to see is all those PRO-PAD saying the goverment/police had no right to try and evict the PAD from the complex and were all up in arms over the failed attempt.... I wonder will they come on here now that it is the reds and say the same? The reds have a right to be their? The reds have a right to overtake it, the police should not stop it.... It should go on for months, then after months the reds have the right to take over the airport.....??? I really am looking forward to 3 posters comments on this one....

Doubt you will see those posters comments directly talking about this at all.

More likely they will try to talk around the subject and effectively say nothing whilst making a lot of self satisfied noise.

In this situation, if I were the reds I would probably provoke the "armed" forces until severe injury was inevitable and wait for the cameras to pitch up.

At the end of it all, knowing that the authorities are probably only armed with tear gas means that with enough gas masks all hel_l can break loose in 10 minutes.

The tolerance shown before Xmas was always going to prove to be rod against the current governments back. They got their bed now they have to sleep in it.

sounds like an intelligent plan - :o Is it the reds or the yellows that get paid to attend? I can never remember.

The thing to look for in government intent is do they bring the border police in. Somchai (not personally but his cabinet guys) did bring them in. When this happened it was blatantly apparent the protestors would face violence as indeed happened. Lets see if Abhisit and co bring them in.

On another point there it is quite obvious that there is little public sympathy for any street action beyond a quick peaceful demo - even the reds are fighting each over tacitcs and use of violence right now. If the demonstrators push it too far there will quite likely be public support for the authorities to crack down and restore stability. The irony is that reds inherit the streets when the yellows have removed any kind of support for street action regardless of colour, and the current government have inherited people fed up with government inaction. The pendulum has swung to a position where government can almost certainly now take action against protestors occupying anything and see public support for their actions provided they dont go too far, which brings us back to dont telgraph it by bringing the border police in.

But with payment of just 200 Baht/day the crowed won't like to come into dangerous situations.

But maybe a few violent thugs and some silly police are enough to get into terrible situations.