Status Of Thai Rice Industry

Maizefarmer

Just had some feedback from a group of potential investors (not Westerners) - who came over to Thailand this last week to look into the rice business - milling and exports.

They found loads of mills climbing over each other to sell their production quota's, and impossible to get any export license for a quantity of rice less than 500tons!

..... there be problems coming this coming season for rice farmers.

Thanks for the 'on the ground' info Maizefarmer which adds to the crystal ball outlook at the moment as there seems to be a swaying opinion that things are going to be difficult. Like just about everything else going on at the moment, no one really knows to what degree.

I'm wondering whether a harvesting business is immune to rice prices...I would normally say it wouldn't be as farms try to reduce their costs to offset lower prices, but I'm not so sure that will be the case in Thailand.

I doubt it - other than for those who calculate that planting is just not worth it, those who plant will still need to have there crop harvested. Where things may be slightly different for those running rice harvesters is that the best business will be going to those who can offer the earliest harvest schedule .... won't be long before those who harvest last will be kicking themselves for leaving it so long.

Yes my worry is how many this year may refuse to plant, but from my experience so far most Thais will still harvest at near to a loss just for something to do its bread into them they rarely think of the business issue's involved & think of it as food for the family for the rest of the year.

Area's with irrigation stand to fare best from the storm ahead as the Rice production per Rai makes it more of business sence for the one's that think in this way.

Price immune? I think not there will be plenty bartering going on this coming harvest I'm sure & as long as Diesel stays low this will be used to barter the price down to below 600 baht a rai we will wait an see in April.

I personally would rather be here in Issarn than the West right now they have shown me how to get by on little & changed my western materialistic views,that's why Thailand's people will better weather this storm ahead as they don't have nothing much more to lose unlike friends back home having their Home's/Car's repossessed & record Bankruptcy's.

Its not only that Mali - it appears to be any Thai businesses with Western clients, or Western product distibution in Thailand. I know 2 ex-pat PR's, both in business with multiple Western clients, or distribution Western products in Thailand (one who has close on 50 Western multi-nationals as clients) - both reckon business is the worst they have ever seen things. One has sold up and the other is in the process of selling up.

Its not only that Mali - it appears to be any Thai businesses with Western clients, or Western product distibution in Thailand. I know 2 ex-pat PR's, both in business with multiple Western clients, or distribution Western products in Thailand (one who has close on 50 Western multi-nationals as clients) - both reckon business is the worst they have ever seen things. One has sold up and the other is in the process of selling up.

Yes time's are very hard personally I've never been so low on actual cash in my life but I'm still upbeat for my personal & business future as I have said before I'm not looking to get rich,just to be able to sustain my life with my family here in Thailand, at least until my small retirement funds start to kick in but that's 10 years away! We may be boomed & Bust again by that time.

There as been much talk on TV especially for individuals on how to get by living here in LOS & so many have pointed out that making your income here in Baht cuts out a lot of the overseas issue's, but has your post seems to point out,that is not that easy either.

I suppose the only small plus for ex pats working in the farming sector is that your not as directly effected by the trading/selling to or trading in western goods I'm sorry to hear of your Friends misfortune's & hope like me they can at least stay here in LOS.

Cheers Shaun

Just had some feedback from a group of potential investors (not Westerners) - who came over to Thailand this last week to look into the rice business - milling and exports.

They found loads of mills climbing over each other to sell their production quota's, and impossible to get any export license for a quantity of rice less than 500tons!

I doubt it - other than for those who calculate that planting is just not worth it, those who plant will still need to have there crop harvested. Where things may be slightly different for those running rice harvesters is that the best business will be going to those who can offer the earliest harvest schedule .... won't be long before those who harvest last will be kicking themselves for leaving it so long.
Yes my worry is how many this year may refuse to plant, but from my experience so far most Thais will still harvest at near to a loss just for something to do its bread into them they rarely think of the business issue's involved & think of it as food for the family for the rest of the year.

Area's with irrigation stand to fare best from the storm ahead as the Rice production per Rai makes it more of business sence for the one's that think in this way.

Price immune? I think not there will be plenty bartering going on this coming harvest I'm sure & as long as Diesel stays low this will be used to barter the price down to below 600 baht a rai we will wait an see in April.

I personally would rather be here in Issarn than the West right now they have shown me how to get by on little & changed my western materialistic views,that's why Thailand's people will better weather this storm ahead as they don't have nothing much more to lose unlike friends back home having their Home's/Car's repossessed & record Bankruptcy's.

Guys,

I am sorry,I am trying to understand what you are all talking about.!

Maizefarmer with your experience can you elaborate on what the impact will be on rice outputs?

So what you cant get a new export licence,with Thailand being the biggest rice exporter why all the doom and gloom,yes prices may drop,but lets face it last year the rice price was high, but after all is said and done the net return would have been the same as fuel and chemicals were so high..

Mali, I am sure that some farmers make a loss but not all..!! and to say that most harvest at near to a loss,I cant imagine where you get that information from. I know its tough in Issan,but most Thais will make enough money to survive each year from their crop..

Guys,

Maizefarmer with your experience can you elaborate on what the impact will be on rice outputs?

So what you cant get a new export licence,with Thailand being the biggest rice exporter why all the doom and gloom,yes prices may drop,but lets face it last year the rice price was high, but after all is said and done the net return would have been the same as fuel and chemicals were so high..

Mali, I am sure that some farmers make a loss but not all..!! and to say that most harvest at near to a loss,I cant imagine where you get that information from. I know its tough in Issan,but most Thais will make enough money to survive each year from their crop..

Hi Nick

What would you say is the average Thai, (no Falang) involved average Rai is for owner ship of land? I'd say from my experience here in Roi Et & I'm talking a big family the average is maybe 10 Rai per Family.

We did exceptionally well last harvest at 1200 Baht net Profit per Rai in our village so use our figures being the better than most.

At 10 Rai average your saying that 12,000 baht a year is enough to get by on? 1000 baht a month :o Why do you think so many of them have Taxi driver/Factory Workers members of the family working in Bangkok that send a couple of Thousand home each month, without that Issarn would be on its knee's.

Its taken a while to study what goes on here but I feel I'm experienced enough to know the average small Rai land owner here is growing is rice for the love of it not for a living here in Issarn.

Now if your talking Falang thinking business/profit etc large Rai holding's then yes Maybe money can be made.

Hi Mali,

I hear where you are coming from, but I farmed 50 rai last year and I can assure you I made profits of considerably more than that,but, I am with you on the 10 rai per Thai, but not sure how you are getting your costs.

Rice seed for ten rai no more than 5000 baht,less if dum nar.

Chemicals per rai 600 = 6000 baht

no manpower to speak of as they work them selves

cutting costs at 600 per rai 6000 baht ,nothing if they cut it them selves.

assuming 500 kilos per tonne Jasmine at 14,000 baht per tonne 5 tonnes = 70,000 baht less costs of at the very worst 17,000.. their is still money left,now I have not put in tractor costs or grassweedkiller,but even if I do there is money left over.

I am not saying its a good living but I can live and frequently do when i go to the wifes as these is nothing to do or buy on 2-3000 baht for a month, so I am fairly sure Thais can get by on less..

This is not a Bun fight Mali,just my view point..I know its hard..

Guys,

Impact on output? - meaning production or milling?

On production very little, farmers will probably still plant and harvest, but the milling side of it is going to have extremely tight margins, and as such the farmgate price is likely to head South. Thats a straightforward forward Water/Diamond paradox type explination (W/D paradox is a basic economics theory -about how supply demand impacts pricing). In short: Co-ops will struggle to get good prices , which in turns affects what the farmers earn.

Its not that striaght forward: much of Thailands production last year still sits in Thailand - while part of that has to stay in Thailand as an emergency national food reserve, rotating & selling it this coming season is unlikely to return what it cost to produce last year. Remember last year the price was high because India banned rice exports. They won't this coming season. Thats a very basic explination there are also yet as to be determined influences one of which is the almost dead certainty that the Baht is going to fall in value - the question is no-one knows by how much and exactly when that is going to start happening.

As well: the international rice futures market is "short" at the moments on the commidities exchange in Chicago - meaning: bets are on that the price is going to continue to fall.

The one positive in this equation, which you have quite rightly noted (and if I can blow my trumpet - I made a bit of a song and dance about several months back on the forum), is that energy costs have dropped, and in my opinion are going to drop by another 9% - 14% over the next 5months.

Then there are climatic influences: what if when the monsoon season swings round the July/August rains don't materialise - or there are floods..... there are so many inputs that determnine final pricing: some can be forecast with a degree of certainty, others can't. The big input last year on the international rice market was India's ban on rice exports.

Collectively the outlook is pesimestic as things stnad at the moment - but things can change overnight - so take what I have said as only valid for the moment. Tomorrow may be a different story - and I am no expert on the rice business, in fact ag wise. its probably the thing I know least about!

Guys,

Impact on output? - meaning production or milling?

On production very little, farmers will probably still plant and harvest, but the milling side of it is going to have extremely tight margins, and as such the farmgate price is likely to head South. Thats a straightforward forward Water/Diamond paradox type explination (W/D paradox is a basic economics theory -about how supply demand impacts pricing). In short: Co-ops will struggle to get good prices , which in turns affects what the farmers earn.

Its not that striaght forward: much of Thailands production last year still sits in Thailand - while part of that has to stay in Thailand as an emergency national food reserve, rotating & selling it this coming season is unlikely to return what it cost to produce last year. Remember last year the price was high because India banned rice exports. They won't this coming season. Thats a very basic explination there are also yet as to be determined influences one of which is the almost dead certainty that the Baht is going to fall in value - the question is no-one knows by how much and exactly when that is going to start happening.

As well: the international rice futures market is "short" at the moments on the commidities exchange in Chicago - meaning: bets are on that the price is going to continue to fall.

The one positive in this equation, which you have quite rightly noted (and if I can blow my trumpet - I made a bit of a song and dance about several months back on the forum), is that energy costs have dropped, and in my opinion are going to drop by another 9% - 14% over the next 5months.

Then there are climatic influences: what if when the monsoon season swings round the July/August rains don't materialise - or there are floods..... there are so many inputs that determnine final pricing: some can be forecast with a degree of certainty, others can't. The big input last year on the international rice market was India's ban on rice exports.

Collectively the outlook is pesimestic as things stnad at the moment - but things can change overnight - so take what I have said as only valid for the moment. Tomorrow may be a different story - and I am no expert on the rice business, in fact ag wise. its probably the thing I know least about!

Maizefarmer,

Thanks for an excellant explanation.

I will not start to worry yet then and I will of course be the first to say you were right in the coming months if your predictions are correct.

I am enlightened though on your facts regarding rice,as I assumed that it would have mostly all left Thailand by now for overseas..

From a rice farming point of view if the rice prices drops back to its normal 6000 or so baht per tonne for non jasmine,in my opinion I will not be much worse off,as this year it was so expensive to buy seed,petrol and chemicals,so if all these prices have dropped it will be about the same return,so in my opinion business as usual for Thailand..

Lets hope that this coming years weather is back to normal and the Indians dont export again and all will be well..

Some of the rice in storage is 2006 crop. The govt storage figures for any crop are open to debate, as the product seem to have ability to disappear. Note rice, lamyai, garlic that we have heard about in the past, with some simply being sold when the price is high. Nick; in post #11 you noted 500 kg/ton for your numbers which when adjusted may cut into your forecast profit somewhat. Oil prices are jumping around by 9 to 14% on some of the day trades at present. It is interesting to look at oil price at ports in individual producing country, as well as note the difference between US light sweet and brent light. This difference of 8 to 10 dollar/bbl is a recent thing. I would doubt the Thai refiners buy US oil and brent purchases would surprise me, but who knows in todays business world. I have been told that most of the fertilizer comes from China, thus cost would be based on their oil cost. (imported and domestic)????

DUBAI - Thai rice which came in as a suitable replacement when India stopped its rice exports to the AGCC, is getting to be more and more popular in the region.

The change in trend has seen Thailand’s rice exports to this part of the world increase by over 100 per cent.

Thailand is the world’s leading rice exporter with over 60 countries depending on the Southeast Asian nation.

Tilun Bhanich Sutatul, executive director of Thai Trade Center, said in 2008 Oman imported nearly $102 million worth of rice compared to its 2007 figure of $2.2 million.

“Oman resorted to storing huge volume of Thai rice as precautionary measures during the rice shortage last year as a result of the Indian rice embargo,” he said. The UAE, on the other hand, doubled its Thai rice imports by from $40.2 million in 2007 to $194 million last year.

Saudi Arabia’s rice imports also soared by from $36.9 million in 2007 to U$101 million last year.

Sutatul said Kuwait registered a slight increase in its rice imports by from $5.6 million in 2007 to $6.7 million in 2008.

Qatar’s increased its rice imports $2.9 million to $11.9 million. Bahrain, though a small country, increased its imports from $2.2 million to $7.3 million in 2008. “Though we cannot increase the volume because of area limitation the price of rice continues to go up, which explains the soaring volume of our rice imports,” Sutatul added.

Regards

Another snippet from The Nation.

Thailand will shoulder huge losses when the import tariff for rice traded among Asean members is reduced to zero, due to the wide price gap between Thai rice and that grown in other countries, experts have warned.

A zero tariff will also cause major trouble in terms of cheaper rice being imported from neighbouring countries and finding its way into the Thai pledging system, as Thailand is the only nation in Asean that has a rice price-intervention programme to guarantee high prices for the country's farmers.

Charoen Laothamatas, vice president of the Thai Rice Exporters Association, said the government should reconsider the decision to cut the import tariff for rice under the Asean Free Trade Agreement (Afta) to zero.

Asean members, with the exception of Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines, have agreed to bring the tariff down to zero next year.

"A big difference in the export price and production costs between Thai and other countries' rice growers would not only cause a 'circumvention' problem for the rice-pledging scheme, but also hit Thai farmers as Thai consumers may turn to other sources of rice if they find lower retail prices," he said.

Charoen said exporters had always been against the idea of including rice in the normal Afta tariff-reduction programme because Thailand has a subsidy programme.

The association will soon meet with the Foreign Trade Department to discuss ways to avoid these expected problems.

The government must have a measure to prevent rice flooding into the Kingdom as it is a sensitive product for the country, involving more than 14 million farming households, he said.

Suggestions include special safeguard measures against imports.

Charoen said that rice from Laos, Burma, Cambodia and Vietnam would flood into the country as their production costs are much lower than those of Thai farmers, while the guaranteed price for Thai rice is very high.

The production cost for Thai rice is about Bt7,000 per tonne, but for other countries it is only Bt3,000-Bt4,000.

If the government failed to introduce efficient measures to prevent advantage being taken of the pledging scheme, it would face a huge burden in having to purchase rice from other countries into the scheme, said Charoen.

He added that it was very difficult to prove whether rice was from Thai farmers or those in neighbouring countries.

The government is already facing maize 'circumvention' from neighbouring countries because of the high guaranteed price in the pledging scheme.

The zero tariff for rice would be effective for 11 types, including paddy rice, brown rice, Thai jasmine rice, polished rice and partly polished rice, sticky rice, husk rice and parboiled rice.

Chutima Bunyaphrasara, director-general of the Trade Negotiations Department, said the government would join hands with the private sector to prevent circumvention from other Asean members.

The government plans to launch automatic licensing to screen imported rice in terms of where it has come from and what it will be used for.

In addition, importers will be required to register with the authorities in order to protect the country against illegal imports.

Regards

My wife just sold some Mali Horm rice today. She got 12 baht per kilo. She has two ten rai mini farms and has rice in less than half of that twenty rai. There is some profit there but no way could she make a living from it. Her mother and father's farm is also ten rai. Most old family plots were ten rai total. No way is that enough land for a family to survive growing rice.

My wife just sold some Mali Horm rice today. She got 12 baht per kilo. She has two ten rai mini farms and has rice in less than half of that twenty rai. There is some profit there but no way could she make a living from it. Her mother and father's farm is also ten rai. Most old family plots were ten rai total. No way is that enough land for a family to survive growing rice.

It all boils down to the scale of economies, In Oz ,95% of all rice grown is sold through the Rice growers Association and growers receive 44% of the retail price of the rice .

Late last year growers were receiving A320 $ per tonne or 7000 baht and it is regarded as a pretty good return. And yet Thailand states that cost of production alone is 7000 baht per tonne for local growers.

Australian production is fully mechanised ,from arial sowing to mechanical harvesting and handling.

The difference is that Oz producers use best farm practises and farm sizes are extremely large compared to Thai .

Oz also enjoy some of the highest yields in the world.(subject to water availability)

Australian farms almost always plant a second crop almost immediately after harvest to utilise the moisture still available in the paddy, these can be sorghum,lucerne or beans which gives added income and after harvesting are ploughed in to add nitrogen and aid soil structure.

Failure to fully utilise their land is one of the major failings of the average Thai farmer. Even in areas where water is not readily available, a water storage dam or pond big enough to allow a second rice planting would more than double the farmers income as warm/hot seasons growing give historically higher yields than wet season crops.

It all boils down to the scale of economies, In Oz ,95% of all rice grown is sold through the Rice growers Association and growers receive 44% of the retail price of the rice .

Late last year growers were receiving A320 $ per tonne or 7000 baht and it is regarded as a pretty good return. And yet Thailand states that cost of production alone is 7000 baht per tonne for local growers.

Australian production is fully mechanised ,from arial sowing to mechanical harvesting and handling.

The difference is that Oz producers use best farm practises and farm sizes are extremely large compared to Thai .

Oz also enjoy some of the highest yields in the world.(subject to water availability)

Australian farms almost always plant a second crop almost immediately after harvest to utilise the moisture still available in the paddy, these can be sorghum,lucerne or beans which gives added income and after harvesting are ploughed in to add nitrogen and aid soil structure.

Failure to fully utilise their land is one of the major failings of the average Thai farmer. Even in areas where water is not readily available, a water storage dam or pond big enough to allow a second rice planting would more than double the farmers income as warm/hot seasons growing give historically higher yields than wet season crops.

Bang on ... the exact same problems are evident in the dairy industry - high prduction costs, small farms, low yields and poor logistics ... and so this problem stretches across thw whole Thai agricultural business.

Edited by Maizefarmer

Perhaps someone in the forum has an answer to this question:

I have a friend that is looking to purchase 12,500 metric tons of rice CIF Nigeria.

What is the best way to get a supplier to quote a price for this in Thailand?

Do I need to go directly to the mills, or to an exporter?

Any suggestions on who is reliable and cost effective?

Cheers,

E.

I've been talking to farmers here in Myanmar recently to find out what is going on. Most appear to be in serious trouble financially and the vast majority have failed to grow a second crop this season (Jan - Apr). The price of rice in the local market is very low, input costs such as fertiliser, labour etc have changed little (all controlled) with the exception of diesel which has of course plummeted. I understand from some of the buyers/traders of milled rice that they're finding it very difficult to get export orders and those that they do get realise little if any profit. Most of the rice exported from here is pretty poor quality I'm told and most ends up in Africa. Something has to give, the system they have appears to be broken with parts of it being controlled but the final price is not.

Perhaps someone in the forum has an answer to this question:

I have a friend that is looking to purchase 12,500 metric tons of rice CIF Nigeria.

What is the best way to get a supplier to quote a price for this in Thailand?

Do I need to go directly to the mills, or to an exporter?

Any suggestions on who is reliable and cost effective?

Cheers,

E.

What quality of rice does your friend want ?

Does he want rice from Thailand ?

Anybody know why Japan has banned Thai rice imports?

Do you have a link to this story Lickey First I've heard of the ban you mention, the Family no nothing either.

How much Rice did they use to take?

I can find nothing about this. This is a good site for rice news:-

http://www.riceexporters.or.th/Rice_news_eng.htm

I think Japan was expected to take 220,000 tonnes ? Historically, they have had 500,000.

Anybody know why Japan has banned Thai rice imports?

Do you have a link to this story Lickey First I've heard of the ban you mention, the Family no nothing either.

How much Rice did they use to take?

I can find nothing about this. This is a good site for rice news:-

http://www.riceexporters.or.th/Rice_news_eng.htm

I think Japan was expected to take 220,000 tonnes ? Historically, they have had 500,000.

Thanks for that its a good site, 220,000 tonnes that a lot a Rai that is.

Lickey,

I could be wrong,but my understanding is that Japan has never exported rice.This is a historical thing from one of their old kings.

Things may have changed however,but as I understand it from a friend who used to work high up in a Japanese bank in the Uk, this was the story.

I wait to be corrected however.

Lickey,

I could be wrong,but my understanding is that Japan has never exported rice.This is a historical thing from one of their old kings.

Things may have changed however,but as I understand it from a friend who used to work high up in a Japanese bank in the Uk, this was the story.

Excuse me please , correction , the post says 'Banned IMPORTS '

Lickey,

Excuse me please , correction , the post says 'Banned IMPORTS '

sorry so it does....must clean my glasses....however, may well still be the same in reverse.