Driving A Car, Not Hitting A Motorbike And Police

MarcoH

Hiya all.

Is this great country or what? :o

I have this nice insident(what actually did not even happen) few days ago.

I was driving my car in the Ubon town and i saw from my back mirrow that some one fell to the ground with his\her motorbike, as there was also traffic lights and red light i have to stop.This happen 30.12, well 5.1 We got the call from Our police station and was called to contact Ubon main police station regarding accident? on 30.12, well we went to police station and surpriced I was cused of reckless driving and cousing of accident, i almost laugh to police since he said that it is 100% sure since it happen during day time, he didnt even want to see our car, where was no anykind of mark,bump, or crach, no any kind of inspection, it was desided just like that.

So as we have Viraya 1st class insurance in our car i called to them and they came with in few minutes and inspect our car and was stunned of polices action and as the so called"victim" wants between 5000-6000thb, he called to motorbike dealer and confirm that repair of his motorbike cost 1500thb,Women who was "victim was advised to take that 1500 or Viraya would going to court againts her but make it all fast and no more bull***** talking, even i was not cause of accident just i was in the wrong place in the wrong time i was adviced to pay that 1500thb.

I have been driving in the Kingdom since 1997 in every place in this country and never ever felt so stunned.

I mean Police dont do any kind of investigation or dont even listen, so advice to all if you have car, pls tint your windows so no one can see inside your car and identify you as farang and dont stop if some one fall's behind your car, thats what thais doing and thats what i told police as well, he just smiled at me. :D

According Viraya insurance company, it is now common trend specially in the Ubon town that Motorbikes are looking for easy money from the car's and faking accidents.

Just felt like to share this with you and it's good warning lesson.

Yesterday my car got black window's

All the best and Happy new Year, could not started better than this :D

-Marco-

Marco!

For me as a newcomer In Thailand, this is a strange story.

I would not have paid one Baht. To pay is in some way to confess.

If innocent, why pay?

I would have asked at once for his chief or the chief of police in the Ubon area.

It is not acceptable for any human being to be treated in this way.

People will go on trying to harass us farangs, if we every time accept and pay.

I can not understand, why your insurence company tell You to pay, if there is no damage on Your car. What a company! Never heard of such! I would quit this company at once. And write a letter to the chief of the company and tell the whole story.

Maybe the police, the woman and the representative of the insurence company are working together in this way to lure easy money from people.

Nowadays it is unwise to deceive tourists and expats in this country, which is losing many tourists after the tsunami. They are going to Australia and China instead.

But not much to do now.

You could put the story in General topics so more people could read.

And send the story to The Nation, which is interested of police corruption.

Anyhow I have learnt to bring a lawyer, if I am wanted by the police.

And I will also bring a camera and take a photo of the policeofficer and other people involved. That will cool them down.

Olaus

cos its cheaper to pay 1500b than fight the case in court. sad but true.

scamsters know this.

insurance companies all over the world will act the same.

heavily tinted windows are illegal by the way !!

happy motoring.

Hi taxexile

yeah tinted windows are illegal but used and not a single police in this country care abt it, i had in my previous car as well and driven in Pattaya, Phuket and Bkk and no one say's nothing, so let's play in Thai rules then, Thai do Farang follows and every one is happy.

:o

cos its cheaper to pay 1500b than fight the case in court. sad but true.

scamsters know this.

insurance companies all over the world will act the same.

heavily tinted windows are illegal by the way !!

happy motoring.

Hi taxexile

yeah tinted windows are illegal but used and not a single police in this country care abt it, i had in my previous car as well and driven in Pattaya, Phuket and Bkk and no one say's nothing, so let's play in Thai rules then, Thai do Farang follows and every one is happy.

:o

Yep. I have mirrored 80% film and most everyone approaches my car with obvious caution if they can't see my whitey face first. Twice, in smaller villages, someone has actually wai'd my car.. TIT :D

I've got the tinted windows as well I recon its cut down the ammount of times the police stop me by about 90%, and yes I know they are illegal. Although before it was usually just out of curiouosity they stopped me.

I recon if you had a big merc or bmw with tinted windows you would never get stoped and just waved through all the check points :o

Edited by RamdomChances

interesting I just returned from Udon area spent two weeks up there driving between Udon and wanon nihwat was in Udon three times always get lost looking for the airport, however, the hire car had blcked out windows, so I suppose I was lucky

Hiya all.

I was driving my car in the Ubon town and i saw from my back mirrow that some one fell to the ground with his\her motorbike, as there was also traffic lights and red light i have to stop.This happen 30.12, well 5.1 We got the call from Our police station and was called to contact Ubon main police station regarding accident? on 30.12, well we went to police station and surpriced I was cused of reckless driving and cousing of accident, i almost laugh to police since he said that it is 100% sure since it happen during day time, he didnt even want to see our car, where was no anykind of mark,bump, or crach, no any kind of inspection, it was desided just like that.

So as we have Viraya 1st class insurance in our car i called to them and they came with in few minutes and inspect our car and was stunned of polices action and as the so called"victim" wants between 5000-6000thb, he called to motorbike dealer and confirm that repair of his motorbike cost 1500thb,Women who was "victim was advised to take that 1500 or Viraya would going to court againts her but make it all fast and no more bull***** talking, even i was not cause of accident just i was in the wrong place in the wrong time i was adviced to pay that 1500thb.

I have been driving in the Kingdom since 1997 in every place in this country and never ever felt so stunned.

I mean Police dont do any kind of investigation or dont even listen, so advice to all if you have car, pls tint your windows so no one can see inside your car and identify you as farang and dont stop if some one fall's behind your car, thats what thais doing and thats what i told police as well, he just smiled at me. :D

According Viraya insurance company, it is now common trend specially in the Ubon town that Motorbikes are looking for easy money from the car's and faking accidents.

-Marco-

Similar incident seen here on Phuket..

Theres an accident black spot (in Europe we would call it a T junction) as a Rd meets on Nanai and as one of my daytime bars is on the corner you get to see many motorbike accidents happen there...

So one Thai pulls out on bike without looking and another drives into him.. They both spill and as they block the Rd a farang slows down.. Stops.. kinds looks to make sure no one is injured and goes around the bikes and makes his way on.. He arrived perhsp 10 - 20 seconds after the accident and had nothing to do with it..

A couple of mins later a policeman arrives and although I could not follow all of what was said they were clearly blaming 'falang' this and 'falang' that and making out he had caused the incident and then scarpered !!

Why they were not argueing amoung themselves as to who owed whom money I could not work out.

Sadly all it has taught me is dont stop at an accident and offer assistance !!!

Edited by LivinLOS

interesting I just returned from Udon area spent two weeks up there driving between Udon and wanon nihwat was in Udon three times always get lost looking for the airport, however, the hire car had blcked out windows, so I suppose I was lucky
Hiya all.

Is this great country or what? :D

-Marco-

Of course it was your fault, you saw it ...that means you were there, if you werent there, it wouldnt have happened. Perfect logic there..... :o

You should know that Thais are distracted by the sight of a farang. I was standing on the side of the road in 1993 in a town in Buriram when 4 schoolgirls on one bike came out of a driveway nearly opposite me....I heard the word farang and 3 heads turned at the same time causing the driver who saw me first to overbalance and fall over....funniest sight I ever saw.....anyway they all got up laughing and no harm done......but I caused that spill as I was standing on the road minding my own business in full view and should have known that this could be the cause of distraction to the Thais who dont see many farang...there is the logic.... :D Anyway no harm was done and no police were called....lucky for me. :D

Similar thing happened to me up here in Ubon. I was going for a walk on the main road to Amnat Charoen for exercise and there was this guy who obviously sells food on the back of his motor bike riding passed. He saw that it was a farang walking along and just about broke his neck looking at me. At the same time the wood box holding his food must have overbalanced and he went tumbling off on the side of the road. I did manage to contain my laughter as I see many thais in this area crane their necks when they see a farang.

Hiya all.

-Marco-

Dear Marco,

Unfortunately thats the way things work here in Thailand. The police allways get their cut and the farlang has the ability to pay more so he gets picked on. Although you were completely innocent it sounds like your insurance agent did a good job. It could have cost you much more than 1500 baht.

off topic but

I was riding in the front passenger seat of a truck full of drunk Thais in Dec.

upcountry in Phichit. Anyways we come up to a checkpoint and they haul

us over. The driver of the truck (my wifes brother named Nun) went sheet

white and was ready to crap his pants acting all nervous and panicy. He rolls

down his window and the cop speaks to him and Nun says "I no have license".

So the cop pulls him out of the truck and starts yelling at him. Next thing i hear

a little tap tap on my window and theres another cop motioning me to get out.

So as i got out the cop was utterly surprized I was a falang and actually jumped

back. I was pretty buzzed and in a good mood so jokingly I raised my hands

and said "Ya Ying Falang" (dont shoot). So the cop yells over to the other cop "Falang".

He comes over and asks "Where you from?" I said "America". Cop asks "Ahh

George Bush"? I said "Kup". He talks to the other cop in Thai making his hand

into a plane and the other hand motioning like the plane was dropping bombs.

He pats me on the shoulder and says OK OK then looks at Nun and says "Buh".

So we all jumped in the truck and that was it.

So we get back to my house I started joking with Nun, I said Nun you scared

police huh? Everybodies laughing. He said strongly "No me not scared police".

I guess he would have lost face....

We got stopped again a few days later in Sak Lek and they let us go again. This time

I could have got a ticket for no seatbelt. Neither time they did they ask for a

passport etc.

-nam

Edited by Nam Kao