Foreign Man Found Dead On Busy Highway

george

Foreign man found dead on southern road

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: -- Police in Thailand's southern Prachuab Khiri Khan Province admitted to being baffled today after finding the body of a foreign man dead in the middle of a busy highway.

The body, said to be a 35-40 year-old blonde-haired westerner, was discovered on the Petchkasem Road in tambon Bo Nok in the early hours of this morning.

Pol. Capt. Thassachak Lilarochanakunlert, superintendent of Prachuab district police station, said that there was no indication that the man had been hit by a vehicle.

He speculated, however, that the foreigner might have either fallen off the back of a pick-up truck, or have been pushed by someone hoping to steal his property.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will now attempt to determine the identity of the man, whose body is being sent to Bangkok for an autopsy.

--TNA 2005-01-07

Seems like a bit of a stretch to suggest he fell/was pushed off the back of a pickup.. I wonder why they didn't suggest first that he was killed somewhere else and dumped there- something that happens here with some regularity...

While not wishing to prejudice opinion on this unresolved case, it still amazes me how many Westerners find themselves in these situations. I maintain that if you find yourself in trouble in Thailand, or find yourself with serious enemies, you likely brought it upon yourself by not knowing when to walk away, failing to understand a danger sign, etc. Also, it dismays me how many @ssholes think they can behave in a yobbish, drunken manner (usually British) and take pleasure in antagonising locals.

People should take note that they are a long way from home and in a place where hatred of them can flare in an instant. I'll never forget walking past Bamboo bar on Nana and seeing an muscled Irishman that was so drunk, he was picking a fight with whoever walked past, could barely stand up and was talking to a very worried looking dog... what a <removed> embarrasment.

Don't worry Britmaveric (I'm British myself as you know) I just used the British as an example, an example I chose because I am British to avoid being flamed.

Agreed, there are uncontrollable types from all Western countries.

I'm just pointing out the folly of some folk.

I'd be very interested to find out what really happened to this fellow but like so many cases like this, they remain unresolved.

It still amazes me how many Westerners find themselves in these situations. I maintain that if you find yourself in trouble in Thailand, or find yourself with serious enemies, you likely brought it upon yourself by not knowing when to walk away, failing to understand a danger sign, etc. Also, it dismays me how many @ssholes think they can behave in a yobbish, drunken manner (usually British) and take pleasure in antagonising locals.

So if a Thai tourist in UK gave you some grief would it be "justifiable" to shoot him...??

Yes, a lot of expats do embarrass us, but the Thais should also be educated to the facts that the majority of visitors don't understand the concept of "face".

What happened to the days when people who were "out of order" just got a good, old fashioned slap...??

Yes, a lot of expats do embarrass us, but the Thais should also be educated to the facts that the majority of visitors don't understand the concept of "face".

A nice idea , but who could possibly educate them ?

A similar concept could be teaching inner city thugs in Manchester that they shouldn't mug the nice Japanese tourists trying to take photo's of them...

It still amazes me how many Westerners find themselves in these situations. I maintain that if you find yourself in trouble in Thailand, or find yourself with serious enemies, you likely brought it upon yourself by not knowing when to walk away, failing to understand a danger sign, etc. Also, it dismays me how many @ssholes think they can behave in a yobbish, drunken manner (usually British) and take pleasure in antagonising locals.

So if a Thai tourist in UK gave you some grief would it be "justifiable" to shoot him...??

What happened to the days when people who were "out of order" just got a good, old fashioned slap...??

Is that a hint of American tourist I smell... expecting the natives to be 'moulded' to your expectations. Behaving like a thug in your hosts country is not acceptable by the locals, or ones fellow expats/tourists. If a foreigner came to your home country and demanded you take an course on how to pander to them, I think you might take exception... fkn liberals.

A similar concept could be teaching inner city thugs in Manchester that they shouldn't mug the nice Japanese tourists trying to take photo's of them...

Good point, however even Manchester thugs don't murder people!

I respectfully request you to go to the following webpage. You'll find that Manchester is tops for murder in England.

Lovely place.

Crime statistics UK

Good point, however even Manchester thugs don't murder people!

I respectfully request you to go to the following webpage. You'll find that Manchester is tops for murder in England.

Lovely place.

Crime statistics UK

Sunderland can be pretty dodgy too!!

I lived in a street in central Sunderland around 1990 and within 6 months there were 6 people killed within the square kilometre I called home.

While there may be possibly more murders here in Thailand, there are certainly a far higher number of unprovoked attacks causing death or injury in the UK. This leads people like me to feel that even Bangkok is safer for your average person than a medium sized town in England.

Went through Manchester once on a barge. Little thieving gypsy batards would try and 'steam' your boat when stuck in the locks. Two dogs and a flailing barge pole 'educated' one of them.

Stayed in Hume once. Once says it all.

Edited by Gallowspole

Seems like a bit of a stretch to suggest he fell/was pushed off the back of a pickup.. I wonder why they didn't suggest first that he was killed somewhere else and dumped there- something that happens here with some regularity...

As all Thai people know (from such quality publications as "Thai Rath", etc.), there are basically two reasons for foreigners' deaths in Thailand:

1. suicide (usually from a hotel's balcony in Pattaya). Happens every week. :D

2. Death due to a tsunami. (Happens about every 100 years.) :o

(Murder can be ruled out, as all Thai people love their 'walking ATMs' and would never hurt any of them...) :D

Good point Ajarn, but how about "Dropped from a moving vehicle by an off duty policeman who said he spit in my face and I didn't have any bullets left"

Investigating officers suspect suicide.

Also hard to believe that he would not been run over if he were truly in the middle of the road...... unless there was a little branch with about 6 leaves, stuck in the road about a metre away from the delicate corpus ..