Thaksin's Supporters Hold Rite To Relieve Him Of Bad Lucks

george

Thaksin's supporters hold rite to relieve him of bad lucks

CHIANG MAI: -- Ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's supporters held a rite at a Chiang Mai temple Tuesday aimed at correcting "his sins in the past life" that were believed to have resulted in his bad karma.

The rite, a combination of animism, voodoo and Buddhism, was performed by the abbot of Wat Umong and eight other monks, as well as a proThaksin trance medium. It was presided over by General Chaisit Shinawatra, Thaksin's cousin and former supreme commander of the armed forces.

His supporters expected the Lanna-style ceremony to help relieve Thaksin of bad lucks and ward off evils coming his way. About 300 people took part in the rite.

-- The Nation 2009-02-17

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was presided over by General Chaisit Shinawatra, Thaksin's cousin and former supreme commander of the armed forces.

n7-1-611.jpg

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra salutes from atop a tank during military exercises in Sattahip. Thaksin's cousin and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, General Chaisit Shinawatra, stands behind him.

April 2, 2005

The rite, a combination of animism, voodoo and Buddhism

in combination with...

Small, poor countries trying to woo Thaksin's money

At least five countries in the Atlantic and in Africa have reportedly offered asylum and advisory positions to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra while living in exile.

Thaksin mentioned about such countries' offers during his overseas address to the Thai public in the pro-government rally on Saturday.

Republic of Chad and Togo, both in Africa, also sought Thaksin's help in overcoming drought and poverty.

- The Nation / 2008-11-05

Is Thaksin getting ready for his next country of residence?

voodoo-1.jpg

A voodoo ceremony in Togo

CHIANG MAI: -- Ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's supporters held a rite at a Chiang Mai temple Tuesday aimed at correcting "his sins in the past life" that were believed to have resulted in his bad karma.

Gotta love the selection of Thaksin portraits they decided to use.... :o Looks like a cross between a sleazy lawyer and a game show host... :D

Imageaspxrrr.jpg

Imageaspxaaaaa.jpg

Chiang Mai Red-Shirt Group Postpones "Today's Truth" and Makes Merit for Thaksin

The Chiang Mai red-shirt group has announced that it will postpone the mobile 'Truth Today' program as a third party may be planning to take advantage of the event to cause a major disturbance.

Meanwhile, cousin of exiled PM Thaksin Shinawatra, General Chaiyasit Shinawatra also went to Chiang Mai province to make merit for Thaksin today.

At Umong Temple in Tumbon Suthep in Muang District of Chiang Mai Province, former Army Chief and cousin of exiled PM Thaksin Shinawatra, General Chaiyasit Shinawatra with his wife and over 500 members of the Love Chiangmai 51 Group went to make merit for the ousted PM.

A ceremony to discourage bad luck for Thaksin Shinawatra was held.

Moreover, the names of the enemies of the deposed premier were written and put into a monks' alms-bowl to make merit for them so that the merit might release Thaksin from his misfortune and bring him back to Thailand.

The names which were put into the alms-bowl include Privy Council President General Prem Tinsulanonda, PM Abhisit Vejjajiva, Deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban, as well as core leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy Sondhi Limtongkul.

- TOC / 2009-02-17

Gotta love the selection of Thaksin portraits they decided to use.... :o Looks like a cross between a sleazy lawyer and a game show host... :D

Imageaspxrrr.jpg

The bizarreness roles right along... :D :D

Rite seeks to absolve Thaksin of 'past life bad karma'

Ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's supporters held a rite at a Chiang Mai temple yesterday aimed at correcting "his sins in the past life" that were believed to have resulted in his bad karma.

The rite, a combination of animism, voodoo, and Buddhism, was performed by the abbot of Wat Umong and eight other monks, as well as a pro-Thaksin trance medium.

It was presided over by General Chaisit Shinawatra, Thaksin's cousin and former Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces.

His supporters expected the Lanna-style ceremony to help relieve Thaksin of bad luck and ward off evil coming his way. About 300 people took part in the rite.

A large framed photo of Thaksin was placed on a stand at the venue.

The fugitive ex-leader was unable to attend as he has fled abroad and lives in self-imposed exile.

A woman in her 50s, who is from the pro-Thaksin Rak Chiang Mai 51 group, acted as a trance medium. She announced that in his previous life, Thaksin was a local warrior king who committed sins by killing his Burmese enemies and taking their money and Buddha images. The sins were said to be having a negative effects on Thaksin in his current life.

Offerings in the forms of coins, meat, rice, liquor, and fruit were ceremoniously presented to an ancient Burmese king, before a Buddha statue.

Thaksin's supporters also included the naming of his political enemies - coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin and People's Alliance for Democracy co-leader Sondhi Limthongkul - in the superstitious rite.

It was supposed that the evil warded off from the former premier would be directed at them instead.

Chaisit, Thaksin's cousin, rejected a report that Thaksin "needed" the rite because he was ill. He said the rite was in fact aimed at "clearing off all the past sins" for Thaksin.

- The Nation / 2009-02-19

it's really bad PR exercise - they radiculed him for years to come.

this "news" in the foreign newspapers will be a commented with a joke

Also, it doesn't seem to work, as previous expiation-ceremonies, and cursing of the PAD & other enemies, have failed to lift the run of bad luck over the past four years. :o

Perhaps if his new TV-channel were carrying more religious programmes ?

I recall there being two Wat Umong's in C.M.; the smaller one within the old city south of Chang Peuk Gate; and the larger, more famous one, outside the city south of the university. The pictures seem to be of the later; which is a bit surprising, since I thought it was a branch of Ven. Buddhadassa Bhikkhu's Wat Suan Moke, and therefore not involved in any juju.

The names which were put into the alms-bowl include Privy Council President General Prem Tinsulanonda, PM Abhisit Vejjajiva, Deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban, as well as core leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy Sondhi Limtongkul.

- TOC / 2009-02-17

Seeing as we know what the status of Prem is, this would be a declaration of hostility towards the whole institution.

If anyone still wasn't up to date what Thaksin and his friends was out do to.

:D they are doomed, now :D

My wife has serious doubts that this is buddhist :o:D

That is not Buddhism. I've seen ceremonies like that with my own eyes. Some special monks use their voices in a choir to induce people into trance where they start crying, screaming valking like animals etc. Even my wife started to cry out loud without any reason. Afterwards she said that she during the session felt sorrow, sadness and the choir tone from the monks made her wanna make it all come out. She said she couldn't control herself. She have never felt or acted like this before. Not during the 13 years we've been married anyway.

But... It's not Buddhism! Moore like voodoo. Very few foreigners are lucky to see events like these. I have it on video. Haven't decided to put it on YouTube yet, since my wife is a little bit reluctant to let the world see her reaction during the session.

Divine help for Thaksin

Thaksin's loyalists in Chiang Mai have sought help from the Divinity to keep their boss, Mr Thaksin, from all the troubles he is facing now and to finally bring him home. Red-shirt loyalists of fugitive former PM Thaksin in Chiang Mai have turned to the Divinity in their latest effort to help bring their dear leader home safe and sound. A Lanna-style religious ritual was staged Tuesday at Wat (temple) U-mong in Muang district of Chiang Mai, Thaksin’s hometown, by his supporters, the so-called Rak Chiang Mai 51.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...elp-for-thaksin

Edited by sbk
1st 3 sentences for Bkk Post only, and no commentary in news articles please--sbk

Imageaspxrrr.jpg

put a flower behind one of his ears and he could be the hotel manager of a resort in fiji.

That is not Buddhism. I've seen ceremonies like that with my own eyes. Some special monks use their voices in a choir to induce people into trance where they start crying, screaming valking like animals etc. Even my wife started to cry out loud without any reason. Afterwards she said that she during the session felt sorrow, sadness and the choir tone from the monks made her wanna make it all come out. She said she couldn't control herself. She have never felt or acted like this before. Not during the 13 years we've been married anyway.

But... It's not Buddhism! Moore like voodoo. Very few foreigners are lucky to see events like these. I have it on video. Haven't decided to put it on YouTube yet, since my wife is a little bit reluctant to let the world see her reaction during the session.

I find this fascinating also, if you post the video please let us all know via TV. As an aside, I wonder which part would be considered as Voodoo. Strictly speaking isn't Voodoo centered in Haiti with some followers in the southern US, DR, that area. Although it borrows from many west African roots, I was surprised to see it turn up in Thailand. Again, would have loved to have been there in person. The trance induced chanting to rid oneself of sadness and sorrow, that would be a good thing wouldn't you say?

... General Chaisit told reporters that he believed Thaksin, in his past life, was a warrior and he had killed many of his enemies and plundered their treasures.

So, not much difference from his present life.

He's going to need a huge ceremoney in his next life to atone for his sins in this one. Maybe that's why he wants all his money back.

Edited by ballpoint

The bizarreness roles right along... :o:D

Yet it still does not beat the bizarre rites of the PAD and Sondhi Limthongkul.

If i may remind:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/10...on_30087963.php

PAD saves the nation from supernatural attack

Sondhi went on to describe his efforts in defence of the country. "The [base of the] Equestrian Statue is like this [draws hexagon with his hands] with the statue inside. Tacks had been inserted at the six corners so that the statue of the revered king could not emit its power. We drew out the tacks from all six places."

Presumably these tacks or nails are supernatural, imaginary articles anchoring an imaginary magical wall around the statue to pen in the spiritual forces. Presumably too, Sondhi's team used rituals to remove them rather than digging up the tarmac. He mentioned that "masters and adepts pulled out each of them". He went on to describe preventive measures for the future. Here the actions seem to have been real rather than imaginary.

"I must thank the women of the PAD because after [the tacks] were pulled out, to ensure they would not be replaced, they took sanitary napkins from menstruating women and placed them on the six points.

"Experts said the spirit adepts were furious because they could not send their spirits back; their magic was rendered ineffective."

The bizarreness roles right along... :o:D

Yet it still does not beat the bizarre rites of the PAD and Sondhi Limthongkul.

Sure it does... very easily... when the length and repetitious nature of Thaksin's bizarre history is considered.

A few years back while still in power, he staged a religious ritual at the Temple of the Emerald Buddha which provoked criticism from his critics that his conduct was improper. Also, he once held a Cabinet meeting at the Phnom Rung ruins in Buriram, supposedly to seek divine blessings to strengthen his grip in power.

and

Magic crystals have been buried under the turf at Manchester City to energise the team's players.

Several have already been dug into the centre circle - and dozens more will be hidden beneath the corner flags before the season kicks off on August 17.

Bosses believe the crystals will turn the £90 million City of Manchester Stadium into a hub of "positive energy and harmony." A further 100 crystals will be put on concrete posts outside the Eastlands ground.

A club source said last night: "It's really bizarre behaviour."

The unusual move came after billionaire owner Thaksin Shinawatra convinced Executive Chairman Garry Cook to introduce the practice. Thai bosses attended a crystal-burying ceremony earlier this week.

- Daily Mirror / 17-07-08

and

More news from the "tales from the dark side":

goodluckpachyderm.jpg

BANGKOK, Thailand -- Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is taking his fight to hold onto his job all over the country and beyond -- to the netherworld.

Thaksin, who has previously accused his political foes of using black magic in their efforts to force him from office, received a gift Tuesday -- a magical elephant prod -- to help him ward off bad luck.

"I will use this prod, along with spells and talismans, to control the fierce opponents who are trying to oust me," Thaksin said during a campaign stop in the northeastern Surin province where he rode an elephant.

- Associated Press

Sure it does... very easily... when the length and repetitious nature of Thaksin's bizarre history is considered.

Very astute logic - because Thaksin is as superstitious the vast majority of his fellow country men, he is more bizarre than Sondhi Limthongkul who has saved the nation by the use of sanitary napkins supplied by menstruating women.

To what extend some people here go to defend the indefensible continues to amuse and surprise...

:o

At least admit that both sides here have rather surreal methods to extend their political battle into the realm of the spirit world. :D

Edited by justanothercybertosser

At least admit that both sides here have rather surreal methods to extend their political battle into the realm of the spirit world. :o

many of the anti thaksin posters on Thai visa, particularily the ones with tens of thousands of posts are actually demons summoned by Sonti lithumgul to do various anti thaksin propoganda jobs and activities via the internet.

:D they are doomed, now :D

My wife has serious doubts that this is buddhist :o:D

As a practicing Buddhist (Mahayana) for 42 years, I have to say there are several types of pseudo-Buddhisms in Thailand. This type, described by the bizarre rituals in the OP, is no more true buddhism than the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. Trained monkeys can sit on a wall and look like they're calm and meditating (while waiting for food hand-outs) but they're still monkeys.

Thai people in general are drenched in superstitious hocus pocus. Most of it is relatively harmless, but there are times when real harm is done - to people, animals, nature. Not much you and me at T.Visa can do about it. We certainly can't change the animistic rituals of the natives. Guess we'll just sit back out of the way and hope no one, no animals get harmed. At least the Thai shamans are not much in to human and/or animal sacrifices (not that I know of, anyway).

Very astute logic - because Thaksin is as superstitious the vast majority of his fellow country men, he is more bizarre than Sondhi Limthongkul who has saved the nation by the use of sanitary napkins supplied by menstruating women.

To what extend some people here go to defend the indefensible continues to amuse and surprise...

At least admit that both sides here have rather surreal methods to extend their political battle into the realm of the spirit world.

It was only your superlative nonsense that Sondhi exceeded Thaksin's bizarreness that prompted setting the record straight that when it comes to weird, Thaksin rules supreme.

And no, it's not been my experience that the "vast majority" of Thais believe in the bizarre extremist bunk in the Thaksin or Sondhi quotes.