What's Your Opinion On Tibet?

cdnvic

I've always found it funny that the basic philosophy that underlies all buddhist teaching, that all things are impermanent, and that freedom from desire is freedom from suffering, yet one of the biggest issues surrounding worldwide buddhism seems to be the lack of Tibeten independance.

How can the Dali Lama teach his followers to free themselves from desire, yet spend much of his time campaigning to get "his country" back?

Keeping aside the right or wrong about Chinese rule in Tibet, isn't the passing of the rule of the Lamas in that region, just proof of all things being impermanent?

Tibet has been ruled by the Lamas, the Chinese (at different times), and the Mongols. One ruler comes, then another, nothing lasts forever.

Maybe thats something that Richard gere and his friend the Dali Lama have overlooked?

cv

I think the way the Dalai Lama sees it is that the Chinese are trying to wipe out the Tibetan Buddhist religion. The whole system depends on reincarnations of the various tulkus being recognized very young and then trained most of their lives. With the Chinese kidnapping or manipulating these people in Tibet, and such a small pool of Tibetans in India, the whole system could easily die out.

The book Dance of 17 Lives gives an excellend description of the whole problem.

Maybe thats something that Richard gere and his friend the Dali Lama have overlooked?

I wouldn't be too cynical about "celebrity Buddhists" if I were you. There's an interesting interview with Richard Gere on jref.com.

I'm more cynical about Lamaism than Mr.Gere. It just seems very political to me, and somewhat opposite of what buddhism teaches.

cv

• 1 month later...

cdnvic,

what exactly do you need by "Lamaism"? Can you elaborate a bit more?

In the Tibetan / Vajrayana tradition the teacher is of utmost importance. Just have a look into the whole system of transmissions and initiations.

Oh, and actually I see nothing wrong with trying to save a country when those who have occupied it try their hardest to destroy its spiritual roots and practices.

Edited by mrdome

What the Chinese have done to Tibet is incomprehensible. The destruction of a nation, its people and its religion. The devastation of its natural resources and the MURDER of anyone who stands in their way.

Anything Richard Gere or the Dalia Lama can do to get the message out to the world is commendable. But sadly there is no oil in Tibet, so apart from meaningless words of disapproval from the West it shall continue.

I've always found it funny that the basic philosophy that underlies all buddhist teaching, that all things are impermanent, and that freedom from desire is freedom from suffering, yet one of the biggest issues surrounding worldwide buddhism seems to be the lack of Tibeten independance.

How can the Dali Lama teach his followers to free themselves from desire, yet spend much of his time campaigning to get "his country" back?

Keeping aside the right or wrong about Chinese rule in Tibet, isn't the passing of the rule of the Lamas in that region, just proof of all things being impermanent?

Tibet has been ruled by the Lamas, the Chinese (at different times), and the Mongols. One ruler comes, then another, nothing lasts forever.

cv

Actually the Dalai Lama campaigns for the Tibetan people to have some autonomy, respect for their religious convictions and the end to a 50 year genocidal rampage. SO SHOULD WE ALL. There's no justification for apartheid and genocidal regimes anywhere at any time - least of "because all things are impermanent"

Oh and yes, the Chinese had ruled Tibet previously but it may surprise you to hear that the opposite is also true.

There isn't a religion in the world that isn't frot with bs and so means to me that they are all are bs. Believe what you want to believe but if there is a (whatever you want to call him), then he, she, it, is screwed. All powerful, all knowing "freewill" bs to me. I like to believe in people as "they" are all I deal with on a daily basis. Life is way to short to worry about religion. Tell me the last time you talked to the "all powerful" NOT, it would be a waste of your breath. " I know there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no ######" (can't remember who said or sang that) Live a nice life for you and the people around you and don't hurt anyone else. (ok, granted, I'm not the perfect example)

CV;

How can the Dali Lama teach his followers to free themselves from desire

This may be one of the most cynical posts I have ever made here.

I as you may know have worked in the media and have met the Dali Lama a number of times. He is a man of greatness.....

But

The last time I met him was in a Duty-Free store in Sydney.....

CV;
How can the Dali Lama teach his followers to free themselves from desire

This may be one of the most cynical posts I have ever made here.

I as you may know have worked in the media and have met the Dali Lama a number of times. He is a man of greatness.....

But

The last time I met him was in a Duty-Free store in Sydney.....

Even the Dalai Lama must have friends who like a tipple or maybe he was just after a cheap watch or some nice aftershave!! :o

Hey Kringle,

good thing then that Buddhism is not a religion - but a method. There is nothing there that needs to be believed, just check it out for yourself, doubters most welcome.

He is head of a state in exile, so he is driven in an old mercedes..Their is also a misconception that he is based in Dharamsala, he is actually living in McCleod-Ganj 14 km up the mountain from Dharamsala.

Silence=murder....I see nothing wrong with the mediatisation of the Daila Lama. He is doing the best he can to raise attention to the suffering his people have endured.

When I visited Tibet I found it to be a remarkable place. I think it is a 'Big Deal' . We are talking the survival of an ancient culture here.

Civilization will be a lot poorer if sino-fication succeeds.

No foreign governments wish to upset China - which is unfortunate.

Some monasteries survive - though to what extent observing the Monks in theological debate is a tourist 'show' or real - I do not know.

After the DL passes into Nirvana, the hopes of the Tibetan people lie with the Karmapa, given the Panchen Lama has been taken out of the equation.

Edited by The_Moog

I apologise if I offended anyone and wish that admin would pull my post on this thread.

It's not really offensive, you were just stating your beliefs. Now your composition and spelling.....

Anyway, thanks all for your replies. Its complicated when you mix the political and spiritual. I think Buddhism in Tibet will survive, if anything because of the number of followers of the Tibeten schools who are all over the world. Even Zen would be a lost art had it not spread to Japan before it's near demise in China.

cv

Even Zen would be a lost art had it not spread to Japan before it's near demise in China.

This would have been doubly tragic since over the centuries it had been the Pure Land schools in China's towns and cities which were periodically persecuted by the Confucianists, whereas Zen practioners in their mountain temples were for the most part left alone.

Edited by camerata