British Tourist Run Over And Killed By Pick-up Truck

george

British tourist run over and killed by pick-up truck in Kanchanaburi

KANCHANABURI: -- A British tourist was run over and killed by a speeding pick-up truck here Wednesday afternoon, police said.

Police identified the tourist as Quinn Turner, 52, from Manchester.

Police said the accident happened at 1 pm on the Saeng Xuto Road in Muang district.

The tourist was crossing the road the when the truck hit and dragged his body for about 30 metres. Police are still hunting for the truck driver, who would not stop his vehicle.

-- The Nation 2009-02-18

The only thing that is shocking is this does not happen more often. Most accidents are not ever reported so its impossible to know the true numbers.

The driving here is outrageous. There is no respect for pedestrians. I live by a beautiful park and have almost been ran over trying to cross the street to get there multiple times, lately its become impossible. In a gated residential neighborhood I have almost been ran down multiple times. I approached security and asked them, their response, "We don't tell them to slow down anymore, nobody will listen to us" end of story.

Even when there are sidewalks they are either badly designed, dangerous with holes and such, or turned into stall markets that force pedestrians into the street.

Victims family, sorry this happened, may your loved one rest in peace.

Condolences to the family and friends of the victim.

Hear, hear!

Tragic news, this guy just came to our little corner of Thailand for a look around.

The driver just ran off..?? Sadly a normal thing here.

R.I.P

Drove off so the Story said, without stopping..

Animal with no concience..

R.I.P.

Same here, Condolences to the family and friends of the victim. :o

Rest in Peace Quinn Turner.

Will be back there tomorrow.

Yours truly

Kan-chanaburi Win

Edited by Kan Win

Sadly that kind of traffic behavior is very common. If a car or pickup hit a motorcyclist or pedestrian, they often just drive away if is dark. I've seen this myself. Often it is the driver of the car or truck who is to blame, because don't look carefully or even driving at the wrong side of the road because they didn't feel like driving an extra 100 meters to the nearest U-turn site. Many in this country are driving just like monkeys.

Sadly that kind of traffic behavior is very common. If a car or pickup hit a motorcyclist or pedestrian, they often just drive away if is dark. I've seen this myself. Often it is the driver of the car or truck who is to blame, because don't look carefully or even driving at the wrong side of the road because they didn't feel like driving an extra 100 meters to the nearest U-turn site. Many in this country are driving just like monkeys.

I'm not sure about this comment, Ive never seen monkies driving, perhaps you meant they look like monkeys when they drive? :o

To not have basic common decency for other humans as to stop and check if there is any help to be given when an accident happens is one of the reasons I still, in specific cases, support the death penalty.

If people are to live together in societies, which people tend to want, they have to follow some basic rules for interaction with others.

Hunt the driver down and put him down.

Was the driver even aware he had hit someone?, we are presuming he was!......very large trucks would barely register a shudder hitting the soft flesh of a human, very possible the driver was unaware and possibly would have stopped to administer first aid if he was.

Recently in the US a driver drove his truck for many miles with a body wedged underneath.

In another incident I can recall a wheelchair user became lodged onto the front of a lorry and the wheelchair carried on at speeds of up to 60mph with the handicapped still in it. Thankfully his legs were unhurt in the incident as he had lost them on a previous occassion.

Edited by Miserere

Was the driver even aware he had hit someone?, we are presuming he was!......very large trucks would barely register a shudder hitting the soft flesh of a human, very possible the driver was unaware and possibly would have stopped to administer first aid if he was.

Recently in the US a driver drove his truck for many miles with a body wedged underneath.

In another incident I can recall a wheelchair user became lodged onto the front of a lorry and the wheelchair carried on at speeds of up to 60mph with the handicapped still in it. Thankfully his legs were unhurt in the incident as he had lost them on a previous occassion.

Come now, it says it was a pickup truck. Even a small animal makes a decent thud when hit by one of them. Maybe the driver was deaf, blind and had no sense of touch and would have stopped had he heard, seen or felt something?

Some pick up trucks are very large, it depends what type it was.

Some pick up trucks are designed to pick up and rescue lorries and are huge, its difficult to tell without pics.

Huge pickups?

Huge <deleted>.

If you hit a human being with a motorbike, car, pickup, truck, and even a train, you feel something or hear something.

That is, when you are driving with your brain switched on.

Yes, even a train!

Sad to say, I know.

Its good to see that your previous 'stupid' comments have been deleted, its a pity the intelligent & informative reply to your post also went.

It is very sad to see that you didnt get the message & that you continue to make pathetic comments in relation to this. The vehicle involved is described as a Isuzu or vigo style of vehicle, do you think you could wake up to yourself now that you've tried every poor excuse for this individual who should of been very aware that the front of his vehicle had collided with a fully grown adult pedestrian & dragged him some 30 metres in the process.

In thai land a pick up is a pick up & a truck is a truck, even the media gets this right in most of the cases. :o

Unfortunately some drivers dont realise when they have hit someone while driving, it can be quite innocent.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_6...500/6733595.stm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...cE_D5QD96A3BJG0

Very sad indeed.

Very silly to compare either of these cases to the one in Kan. The first one a wheel chair gets hooked to the front of a stationary prime mover (much larger than a pickup) and it drives off taking the wheel chair and its occupant for a high speed drive.

The second one, actually involved a car driver running over the top of someone who has already been knocked down and is laying flat of the road. At the time of the incident the driver was braking to avoid a number of cars that had stopped on the road in front of him & has obviously not seen the body on the road which had first been struck by one of the vehicles in front.

You are comparing apples to oranges and have little or no idea what you are actually talking about. Pity you dont leave your senseless comments for other more light hearted threads. :o

Its good to see that your previous 'stupid' comments have been deleted, its a pity the intelligent & informative reply to your post also went.

It is very sad to see that you didnt get the message & that you continue to make pathetic comments in relation to this. The vehicle involved is described as a Isuzu or vigo style of vehicle, do you think you could wake up to yourself now that you've tried every poor excuse for this individual who should of been very aware that the front of his vehicle had collided with a fully grown adult pedestrian & dragged him some 30 metres in the process.

In thai land a pick up is a pick up & a truck is a truck, even the media gets this right in most of the cases. :o

I second your point, Neverdie. I find IMPOSSIBLE for the driver NOT to be aware of such a hit. It's pure bo$$ocks. Unless the driver was dead drunk !

I second your point, Neverdie. I find IMPOSSIBLE for the driver NOT to be aware of such a hit. It's pure bo$$ocks. Unless the driver was dead drunk !

Well yes YOU have a very valid point there, one of which couldnt be ruled out here in los, could it?

Well yes YOU have a very valid point there, one of which couldnt be ruled out here in los, could it?

Unfortunately, I am convinced that a very high percentage of "hit and run" are the act of drunk drivers, or drivers who should not be there for any reason, and don't want to be caught

Hopefully the BIB does the footwork & locates this poor excuse for a human being.....but Im not sure if I would hold my breath.

RIP to the victim & thoughts with his family & friends.

Not to make light of the situation, but the likelihood of the BIB lifting finger to solve this is poor. They will likely decide to classify it as suicide, just like they most times a farang dies in Thailand, regardless of the circumstances.

my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

^^ I'm not trying to agree with you about everything :o BUT I would have to say that you are right again.

We just can hope that BIB will find this driver, and that he will pay for what he's done....

Having an accident (even involving death of a person) is one thing, and is sometimes only an accident...it can be dealt with, and all parts will appreciate circumstances of the accident. Punishment if any will be in proportion with the offense, if any..... But hit and run is unforgivable , ... Nothing can excuse this act of cowardice (hope I get this word right). And the responsible must pay full price, +++