Easier Drive To Khao Sok - From Krabi Or Phuket?

taupo67

Hi all,

We're staying for a five nights in Khao Sok NP and have the choice of flying into Phuket or Krabi from BKK.

Thinking of picking up a car/truck and just wondered what the easier drive up to there would be i.e. Krabi to Khao Sok or Phuket to Khao Sok (and any idea of times, I was thinking it would take about 2 hours).

Thanks in advance for any help?

CHEERS

STEVE

Hi all,

We're staying for a five nights in Khao Sok NP and have the choice of flying into Phuket or Krabi from BKK.

Thinking of picking up a car/truck and just wondered what the easier drive up to there would be i.e. Krabi to Khao Sok or Phuket to Khao Sok (and any idea of times, I was thinking it would take about 2 hours).

Thanks in advance for any help?

CHEERS

STEVE

Hi Steve,

for sure fly into Phuket. It's about two hours from Phuket International, your are talking three and a half or four from Krabi.

Now, that being said, if you are going to be spending time in Krabi after your Khao Sok trip, then it makes more sense to fly into Krabi.

Please post a trip report after your Khao Sok trip. We'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

Cheers, HB

Khao Sok is a HUGE area, so it depends where you are heading. If you are going up past Khao Lak then it is probably slightly quicker from Phuket, much not that much. However it is only about 2 hours from Krabi, and it is a much more stunning drive from Krabi. Phang Nga has some amazing scenery and i would definately recomend driving through.

Its no way 4 hours from Krabi.

Thanks guys.

The Phuket boys reckon the drive is easier from their neck of the woods and I've also managed to get a good deal on a pick up from there, so will going to and from Phuket.

Travelling up to the Cliff Jungle and River Resort and then doing a Limestone Lake Tours thingy trip up to Chieow Laan Lake. Intend to get a few good hikes in and maybe a few overnights in the Park (weather dependent as aware it could be wet in Late July/Aug!!!!).

Will deffo put some info back up o here, as I really appreciate the help given out.

CHEERS

STEVE

Thanks guys.

The Phuket boys reckon the drive is easier from their neck of the woods and I've also managed to get a good deal on a pick up from there, so will going to and from Phuket.

Travelling up to the Cliff Jungle and River Resort and then doing a Limestone Lake Tours thingy trip up to Chieow Laan Lake. Intend to get a few good hikes in and maybe a few overnights in the Park (weather dependent as aware it could be wet in Late July/Aug!!!!).

Will deffo put some info back up o here, as I really appreciate the help given out.

CHEERS

STEVE

Be careful doing any cave exploration that time of year.

Seems every year we have some people get "flash flooded" by a storm that is some distance away.

Have fun, sounds like a great trip.

I hired a car at Phuket - Avis. Got a good deal and paid with Cr Card which covered insurance (Platinum master Card).

Drove via Kkao Lak and got lost for about an hour having taken a wrong turn (you need to get through TahuaPa before turning right - this is a big town) - I had no map. But once on the right track it was pretty easy. Stopped several times to take pics. The trip was a good 4hrs but there was very heavy rain and getting on up to the Park area is pretty steep and winding - also I had never driven in Thailand before. But it was good to have our own wheels. When we got there I found the place (Art's Riverview Lodge) was booked out so after a lunch at the Riverview we pushed on down to Krabi.

After a few days at Krabi we came back up to the Park via the Lake. Stayed a couple of nights then to Phang Gna and around to Phuket Town. All together we did well over 1500K and had a great time.

Krabi to Phang Gna RD was very busy and under repair (widening) but much faster than the old rout over the VERY STEEP hills. Otherwise the roads are excellent and quite well well signposted.

We kept the car when in Phuket so we could avoid the TukTuk mafia. In the end I think it was no more expensive to hire the car for the two of us and we saw a good deal more. Driving at night in the old Phuket Town and back to Kata (via a compulsory stop at The Green Man) requires a bit of concentration as also does driving through the old town during rush hour.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

• 7 months later...
Please post a trip report after your Khao Sok trip. We'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

Cheers, HB

As requested (and promised) some feedback on the recent trip to Khao Sok Park and the Lake.

We had a late change in itenary and ended up going to Samui & KPG staright after so we ended up picking up a car at Surat Thani airport and dropped it off there at the end of the week (before getting onward coach to Donsak).

The drive from the airport to our resort for 3 nights was simple. Fairly straight road (well straight as in few turn offs to negotiate!!!!). Just took it fairly easy and pulled over at one point for a drink when we encountered a sudden downpour combined with some dodgy(ish) roadworks.

It was just under 2 hours to The Cliff Jungle & River Resort. Well signposted off the main road and in a cracking setting.

Out of perhaps 30 bungalows we only saw 3 or 4 other couples for the week we were there. Really cute place, with lovely views and staff who couldn't do enough for us. Lovely little pool to cool off in and a spa, which wasn't a high end spa, but then again nor were the prices. Firm mattresses caused a bit of a problem, but I think that might be par for the course in LOS. Restaurant was in a nice setting, and whilst the food was good, the menu wasn't that vast.

Didn't do too much whilst there and just lounged around after going for some walks through the local jungle (there were easy marked trails). Didn't see much wildlife other than birds (but you could hear the monkeys and gibbons on the slopes of the limestone cliffs). We did pop up to the local village/town on the main road as there was a sports day on with schools and adults from the local towns and villages competing. loads of great buffets, stalls and entertainment. As usual the locals were more than welcoming and happy to have a natter.

We then took an overnight trip top Chieow Laan Lake with Limestone lake and Tours. As an aside, we were going to ask if we could pay for a night at the Cliff Resort just to keep our luggage there and they were more than happy to accomodate, but refused to take any payment, saying it was not a problem (nice touch).

Limestone Lake Tours might be considered slightly pricey on some points, but they were very well organised and delivered everything they promised. They picked us up and drove us to the dam and then a longtail to a floating bungalow. I've done a number of trips throughout SE Asia and this overnight experience was up there with the best. Great scenery, tranquil, macaques, gibbons, hornbills. Spent time lazing around with the bungalow owners (it looked like it was the one closest to the Dam, but forgot the name), then kayaking, swimming and trekking.

Got up before daybreak to see the sun come up over the lake and it was incredible. The floating bamboo bungalows were basic (toilet across a walkway on the shore) but beautiful at the same time. Heat at night wasn't a problem as I think the lake underneath cooled it down and there were no problems with mossies day or night.

Soent another morning there before getting transported back to the Cliff for a final night.

I'm really surprised (but glad) that Chieow Laan Lake isn't more popular as it was absolutely spectacular in every sense.