TAT Refuses To Downsize Visitor Target

george

TAT refuses to downsize visitor target

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) remains confident that 13 million foreign tourists will visit the kingdom this year, despite the blow dealt to the local tourism industry by last month’s tsunamis.

TAT's Deputy Governor Suraphon Svetasreni confirmed today that the authority had not downsized its 2005 tourist target, set at 13.38 million foreign visitors and 76.25 million domestic holidays.

The high target would encourage the TAT to work hard to ensure success, he said, noting that many of the destinations in the Andaman region hit by last month’s tsunamis had already been cleared of debris and were ready to welcome back tourists.

He conceded, however, that some of the worst hit areas, including the resort of Khao Lak in Phang-nga Province, would take longer to clear.

Noting that 60 percent of the tourists who had cancelled bookings in the Andaman region following the tsunamis were European, Mr. Suraphon said that the TAT would turn to the Asian market to make up tourist numbers.

The TAT is inviting journalists and tourism operators from around the world to witness the true situation in the Andaman region, with a delegation from China expected at the end of this month in anticipation of Chinese New Year.

A second delegation from Japan will arrive in February, while the TAT will conduct a roadshow in the German capital of Berlin later in the year to promote the Andaman region.

-- TNA 2005-01-08

I recall reading that last year the TAT turned to the Asian market when the Europeans stopped travelling because of SARS. somehow I suspect that there is only a limited market in Asia ready to travel to Thailand with the right disposable income but looks like the TAT counts numbers of arrivals over and above how much they spend once they are here. Hey they could always do what Indonesia did after Bali bombing and start charging tourists for visa's - now thats a novel idea to encourage tourism :o

I recall reading that last year the TAT turned to the Asian market when the Europeans stopped travelling because of SARS.  somehow I suspect that there is only a limited market in Asia ready to travel to Thailand with the right disposable income but looks like the TAT counts numbers of arrivals over and above how much they spend once they are here.      Hey they could always do what Indonesia did after Bali bombing and start charging tourists for visa's - now thats a novel idea to encourage tourism  :o

Perhaps they learnt it from the Yankees and the Brits..... even Australia

I do not think they will reach their target, but I reckon they wont be far off.

Can you imagine how busy Phuket will be next year on the 26th of December. It will be the 1 year anniversary, with thousands of people coming to Phuket and Khao Lak etc, to place flowers and mourn their lost relatives or friends. The media will be here in their droves, as well as the other toursists. Thailand will definately do some mass tourism marketing to get everyone to come back. I am always the optimist, but I also think my reasoning carries some weight.

It might not be an ultra happy occasion, but they will come.

Edited by Tornado