Enraged Aussie Pounds Bangkok Police

george

I am sorry for the Thai Police. I have only ever been treated politely and with respect when I have spoken with them - fortunately only in pleasant surroundings.

One of my earliest memories was my first trip to Thailand. A policeman was resting outside cafe and I asked him for directions. We got chatting (his English was fairly good). I asked him about his side-arm as I was interested in weapons. He took it out of its holster and handed it to me so I could examine it. Mind you, it was not very clean - a bit rusty in fact. I hate to think what would have happened if he fired it.

Peter

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

นายกิ๊บสัน นิสเซนต์ บรูซ อายุ 50 ปี

"the aussie" alias mr. gibson nissen bruce aged 50 , or more likely , mr. bruce nissen gibson.

Well what a grub Mr Gibson is! Hope he is proud of himself......hope he gets the poly pipe & barbed wire treatment on the inside :o ....that'll make his pecker pucker :D

What do you expect from a nation of convicted criminals. :D

I'd love to meet that guy ! :o Beers on me ! :D

Convicted criminals from the UK.

NOT in the UK any more, indeed.

The guy has clearly gone off the rails and we don't know his reasons... could it be mental illness ?

It was lucky for him and others no one was hurt when he stole the taxi. I wonder if this would result in deportation.

I don't believe he gives all of us foreigners a bad name and I don't expect to get tarred by the same brush....

I imagine the police officers initially stood by more for their own amusement while waiting for him to calm down. When he didn't they tried pepper spray which would push an already nutty guy further off the rails....

Good on the Thonglor police - it seems that they handled this situation well, rather than forcing it to escalate out of control and potentially into violence. I wonder how the same incident would have been dealt with in the USA... tazer, stun gun?... Some form of excessive force I imagine.

The guy has clearly gone off the rails and we don't know his reasons... could it be mental illness ?

It was lucky for him and others no one was hurt when he stole the taxi. I wonder if this would result in deportation.

I don't believe he gives all of us foreigners a bad name and I don't expect to get tarred by the same brush....

I imagine the police officers initially stood by more for their own amusement while waiting for him to calm down. When he didn't they tried pepper spray which would push an already nutty guy further off the rails....

Good on the Thonglor police - it seems that they handled this situation well, rather than forcing it to escalate out of control and potentially into violence. I wonder how the same incident would have been dealt with in the USA... tazer, stun gun?... Some form of excessive force I imagine.

What a nieve comment. Those Police have got a right to go to work without being assaulted by this type of grub. Had they possessed a taser gun they would have been well and truely within their rights to use it....if they are in fear of being assaulted they should use the weapon before being manhandled. I don't understand why you are suggesting that use of the taser would be excessive force. People like you seem to think its acceptable for Police to be assaulted before they can use this type of weapon....How wrong you are.

No one has the right to assault these men nor resist their arrest, any protest against arrest should be handled at court in a rational way.

Like another poster pointed out, he was lucky he wasnt capped.

Edited by neverdie

Appears as though his bra fell off too...

Looks as though the fearless BIB are trying really hard to restrain him here. The guy is handcuffed and it takes 6 policemen to restrain him?

Oh well, probably lucky he didn't get his pecker out completely, or he might have really assaulted them with a deadly weapon

More like "assault with a despised weapon"!!

Or Assault with a Dead Weapon!

Are Aussie's Westerners then???, i suppose they could be if you keep going west long enough? :D

Not Westerners - most are either aborigines, pacific islanders or asians.

Are you saying this is what most "Australians"are? :o

From my vantage point...having devoted several years to living both in Pattaya and Chiang Mai...I've seen more than my fair share of 'angry farangs' who just seem to lose it whenever something goes wrong for them in the LOS. My wife and I were stunned when we witnessed a German chap start shouting and cursing at having to wait in a line of customers at the checkout stand at Carrefour. He just completely went berserk, ranting and raving like a complete madman. He stomped off, abandoning his full cart of groceries for the employees to return to the shelves. What an idiot!

Since that time, we've seen the same kind of behavior over and over again...most recently at our golf club in Chiang Mai, when a 60-ish American 'lost it' when he was enraged by the management's decision not to do something about speeding traffic in front of his (golf course) home. He even took a swing at the golf course manager, received a well-landed jab in the face in return, and then had to suffer the indignity of a police investigation that ensued. He received a stern warning that the next such incident could land him in serious immigration trouble. Before that, he was frequently seen yelling at his caddy and throwing golf clubs in tantrums whenever he made a poor shot or the caddy displeased him. He also happens to be a hypertensive alcoholic. As a previous poster has mentioned, excessive drink seems to be a real causative factor in such mad behavior. As a result, this man's name is mud around here--another "jai rong farang" who has gone way off the reservation and who would be better off returning to where he came from instead of making it hard for the rest of us who choose to live peacefully.

Thailand sure seems to attract a disproportionate number of hotheaded drunks...these people are true losers in every sense of the word who couldn't cut it in their homelands and came to this fair Kingdom where people are a lot more tolerant. The trouble is...when Thailand makes it hard for these clowns to stay here, then it will tighten up for everybody else. We just have to hope that these acts of public shame are seldom in occurrence and not blown out of proportion.

"the Aussie climbed into the driver’s seat and took off in the taxi"

:D

Never heard anything like this before, great bit of news :D

At least the Aussie showed a bit of guts, unless the many dickheads trying to suck up to the pathetic BIB. :o

What a nieve comment. Those Police have got a right to go to work without being assaulted by this type of grub. Had they possessed a taser gun they would have been well and truely within their rights to use it....if they are in fear of being assaulted they should use the weapon before being manhandled. I don't understand why you are suggesting that use of the taser would be excessive force. People like you seem to think its acceptable for Police to be assaulted before they can use this type of weapon....How wrong you are.

No one has the right to assault these men nor resist their arrest, any protest against arrest should be handled at court in a rational way.

Like another poster pointed out, he was lucky he wasnt capped.

I do agree with the majority of your comment about the police having the right to work without being assaulted. However, according to the report there were six Police. In my naivety I believe that the use of anything other than physical restraint in this case would be excessive force... If in a situation of one one one, or two on one (with such a large guy) then I accept that the use of a taser gun to subdue the miscreant would be acceptable force.

It appears that based on quite a number of responses within this thread that quite a number of people would have been more satisfied with a more violent response from the police...

I don't think its acceptable for the police or anyone else to be assaulted, and equally so I don't believe its acceptable for the police or anyone else in a position of responsibility to use violence as a response.... Restraint is always the best option and there were six officers present who used this option succesfully, good on them for doing so.

With regards to the 'Capping' comment. I quite agree, if this incident had happened in a darker corner at less sociable hours there may well have been a different outcome and the reprobate in question should indeed consider himself rather lucky. But, given the possible alternative outcome I'd imagine that a lot of the 'tazer him' / 'lucky he wasn't capped' crowd would be sitting on the different side of the fence and crying about the barbarism of certain law enforcement techniques.....

The most worrying part of this story is that he managed to steal a taxi while apparently being completely intoxicated.... More to the point, he is lucky and innocent bystanders were very lucky that this event did not take a more tragic path....