Becoming A Teacher

ZOVOX

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Have one ready, or two (maybe for prathom 4 and matayom 4). If you give the person who's interviewing you a printed copy of your lesson plan, that would be very impressive. Assuming you follow the plan.

I got hired real fast the first time after doing two quick demos to classes of 50 teenagers. The next time I applied somewhere, I did a smashing demo, to the point where the entire class (Matayom 4) sang a Broadway show tune at the end. But I didn't get hired because they preselected somebody else. But I got preselected at the next place without a demo.

Just be ready. And when they ask, try to stall for prep time and ask what kind of class, what they're learning, etc. So that you can at least modify what you might have prepped for.

In the phone call setting up the interview, you should always ask as many questions as possible. Ask if they'll want a demo.

I've never been asked to give a demo lesson as such but at my first job at ECC the head teacher did come into my classroom and sat and watched for around 20 miutes or so. In the four years since I have changed employers twice and have had a couple of occasions when the big cheese has come in to observe.

Have a couple of lessons ready that you can use to demonstrate your teaching ability. Giving directions and telling the time are sure fire winners. Easy to teach and easy to learn. Those free maps that are given out at BTS stations are great for giving directions lessons.

Send me a PM. You are welcome to my lesson plans on these subjects.

Good luck - don't worry - everybody feels nervous before that first ever lesson Everybody has to start some where and most DOS recognise this fact and if they do their job correctly that first observation is used to give guidance rather than criticise.

Zovox,

Think about some kind of training (however minimal it will help with your confidence) it's going to be pretty hard to teach you how to teach via this website mate!

Even 'proper' teachers and certificate teachers get nervous before their first lesson (or demo lesson) I dread to think how someone with absolutely no idea feels!

Would you want someone like you teaching your children (if you have any)? Honestly?

Don't want to seem like we're ganging up on you, Zovox, but I have to agree with the above posters... I'm not saying that EVERYONE has to get a TEFL, etc., because there are those with natural talent who just seem to take to it like a fish to water- but you don't seem to be slipping into things quite so easily. I'd suggest you take a look at getting some training.

"Steven"

Agreed.

Back in the middle of the 90's I was asked to teach in Phuket for a month . Thought it would be a piece of piss. How wrong was I! Went and got CELTA'd up back in the UK and then the lights started to come on. The nerves will come and go. For new classes I always get a few butterflies but they soon vanish. I don't know about the best place to take a course in Thailand - over on Ajarn.com there used to be plenty of threads on this topic but they didn't seem to be too objective.

Agreed.

Back in the middle of the 90's I was asked to teach in Phuket for a month .  Thought it would be a piece of piss.  How wrong was I!  Went and got CELTA'd up back in the UK and then the lights started to come on.  The nerves will come and go.  For new classes I always get a few butterflies but they soon vanish.  I don't know about the best place to take a course in Thailand - over on Ajarn.com there used to be plenty of threads on this topic but they didn't seem to be too objective.

Hey, Longsands, that's a very generous appraisal of the slugfests that used to prevail on that subject. There is no sureproof way to evaluate all the courses, and no way to evaluate the trading of insults that prevails on the forums.

Any course is better than no course at all. The longer the course, the better it is, all other things being equal. You might want to visit because you might be put off by an overly stuffy Brit or an overly casual Aussie, etc. A course that's too cheap may not be worth any time and money at all, and some courses might be overpriced above US$1,500. Without intending to criticize Longsands' experience - in most cases, why take a course overseas if you intend your first teaching years to be in Thailand?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Have one ready, or two (maybe for prathom 4 and matayom 4).  If you give the person who's interviewing you a printed copy of your lesson plan, that would be very impressive.  Assuming you follow the plan.

I got hired real fast the first time after doing two quick demos to classes of 50 teenagers.  The next time I applied somewhere, I did a smashing demo, to the point where the entire class (Matayom 4) sang a Broadway show tune at the end.  But I didn't get hired because they preselected somebody else.  But I got preselected at the next place without a demo.

Just be ready.  And when they ask, try to stall for prep time and ask what kind of class, what they're learning, etc.  So that you can at least modify what you might have prepped for.

In the phone call setting up the interview, you should always ask as many questions as possible.  Ask if they'll want a demo.

Long time no see, eh, PB ?

remember me?

Just got an interview with one of the better English schools in Thailand. Gave me a pop quiz - what's your lesson plan for such and such a situation. I made it up on the spot, though I had spend as much time as possible reading up on the education of kids in the preceeding two weeks(good thing, otherwise I might've been washed off into the Andaman). Got the interview through good connections, now they want a demo.

Asking for a demo is fair enough in my book, just so long as I have enough time to prepare a lesson. My experience with the age group in question is limited; any constructive suggestions is much appreciated.

Cheerio.

I've had to teach demo classes a couple of times, first to get a job with a teaching company and the second to help that company secure a contract with a school. The first demo was pretty easy, it was a small private class, about 6 students, and while I'd had no prior classroom teaching experience, I'd done lots of tutoring and corporate training. The only thing different about this class was that I was teaching English, not how to use software. I wasn't really nervous about that demo class, it was the first Matthayom class, a week later, that really put the butterflies in my stomach! :o

My second demo class came after I'd already had several months teaching experience. I was told that I would have a class of 15 Pathom students, instead, I wound up in front of 50 Matthayom students! :D I had to throw out the lesson plan I'd walked in with and re-use a lesson I'd used for a class a couple of months earlier. This sort of mis-information is very common and so the most important thing that I have learned is to be FLEXIBLE! :D Don't let the Thai administration's total lack of planning and competence throw you :D .

Agreed.

Back in the middle of the 90's I was asked to teach in Phuket for a month .  Thought it would be a piece of piss.  How wrong was I!  Went and got CELTA'd up back in the UK and then the lights started to come on.  The nerves will come and go.  For new classes I always get a few butterflies but they soon vanish.  I don't know about the best place to take a course in Thailand - over on Ajarn.com there used to be plenty of threads on this topic but they didn't seem to be too objective.

Hey, Longsands, that's a very generous appraisal of the slugfests that used to prevail on that subject. There is no sureproof way to evaluate all the courses, and no way to evaluate the trading of insults that prevails on the forums.

Any course is better than no course at all. The longer the course, the better it is, all other things being equal. You might want to visit because you might be put off by an overly stuffy Brit or an overly casual Aussie, etc. A course that's too cheap may not be worth any time and money at all, and some courses might be overpriced above US$1,500. Without intending to criticize Longsands' experience - in most cases, why take a course overseas if you intend your first teaching years to be in Thailand?

Yeah PB, just being a bit diplomatic about those threads. I never contributed to them as they never actually went anywhere.

Whilst discussing a lesson plan with a recently employed teacher, who came certified from a certain Thai establishment, he stopped me in mid-sentence and asked 'What's the difference between a countable and uncountable noun?' :o I asked him about the course and it appeared to be a typical Thai education - pay your money, have sanook, then walk out with a certificate.

In contrast, I did my CELTA in the UK the minimum entry level was a BA. After they received proof of my degree I then had to complete a test. I was then invited to an interview, where I was asked to give examples of passive past perfect continuous usage, etc. They then told me how intense the course was going to be, questioned my resolve, and put it to me to really consider my application. There were 32 on my course, about a quarter either dropped out or were failed. There was no fun in the sun, believe me.

So for me, and please understand that this is based on my limited experience, I value a certificate from the UK/USA/Australia over one obtained here. Please also bear in mind I'm talking about newbies to teaching, not those who have been teaching for x-years and now possibly need a certificate to continue here. For these guys I agree with you PB, however if they wish to teach later in another country I'm not so sure how much weight a Thai certificate will have.

Edited by Longsands

I agree with Longsands. The CELTA is, overall, still the best known and most widely respcted TEFL cert around the world... Still just the basics of the basics though.

When I was a hirer, I looked for folks with experience AND a CELTA. With the CELTA, I knew for sure what that person had (hopefully!) learned. I'll bet other hirers with a CELTA or DELTA think along similar lines...

The CELTA is not just useful to newbies either... I took the CELTA course 10 years into teaching. It helped me to see some bad habits I'd aquired over the years, and the course gave me a huge boost in creative energy, because the CELTA course really encourages one to go the extra mile to not lose face among your fellow students :D

Didn't help my spelling much, though :o

I feel obligated to add that there are some good teacher-training courses in Thailand. :D

But none offer to improve your spelling :D

Trying hard to agree with everybody here: CELTA's famous, and the other courses (taught from Thailand) aren't. But I have to suspect that not all CELTA's are created equal, even though they try to maintain standards. The course (I'm making this up) taught by Carlos y Maria in Madrid in 1984 may not be as good as the one taught by Cedric and Hermione in London in 1994, and for all we know, the one taught by Buddy and Jo Ellen in Saigon in 2001 might have been the best. Except for those courses in Thailand that were taught.....but we don't know about all the others.

C'mon, guys, all other things being more or less equal (which they never are) I would think my ancient unrelated BA, and my $1,050 TEFL certificate from 2003 in Thailand, are only the beginning. Two to ten years teaching EFL at increasing levels of competence and at better schools - and a really good personal interview, maybe some recommendations by the grapevine - those things will get me a job at 200,000 yen in Tokyo, even if my competitor just finished Oxford (Hons.) and CELTA (London) but hasn't taught Asians yet. Except, of course, that I'm 62 years old and insist on the pony tail.....better that I stay where I am.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Have one ready, or two (maybe for prathom 4 and matayom 4).

Not if you are teaching advanced business students :o

I didn't have any CELTA, or RSA TEFL as I think it was called when I first started teaching and got on fine. Experience in my book is a lot more important. I did, however do the course a few years into teaching, which on the whole was a waste of money. I did learn a few new tricks and about some bad habits though.

My advice is to give it a go without a big Cert like TESOL,CELTA. If you get on ok, fine. If there are others around with experience, take all you can from them. Learn as you go.

Edited by Neeranam

UCLES CELTA now!

Have you attended both (CELTA & TRINTY) courses then Neeranam?

So basically practice how to teach the students until you know what you're doing? Or do such a bad job they sack you? Errr would you like your kid (if you have any) to be one of these students where the teacher is basically experimenting on them?

UCLES CELTA now!

Have you attended both (CELTA & TRINTY) courses then Neeranam?

So basically practice how to teach the students until you know what you're doing? Or do such a bad job they sack you? Errr would you like your kid (if you have any) to be one of these students where the teacher is basically experimenting on them?

I have done the Trinity TESOL.

I think when I was getting 170 baht an hour it was fair enough.

My kids will never have to go to such an institution(I won't name it).

All they asked for was a degree.

I actually sent my wife to the same place but checked out the teacher first.

Teaching is much like any other "trade".

For most of the teachers I have come across here it is indeed a trade. Some are excellent teachers now.

Learn as you go, sure. I get my hair cut by trainee hairderessers, not always a perfect cut but cheap. I got my car checked by students too which I won't do again. If you want taught by experienced, qualified teachers, you must pay more.

12 years ago I admit I was a crap teacher with no experience. Now I am not, and expect 5 times what I used to get.