Expat Developer Shot Dead In Patong

saneroad

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something fishy..

34 yrs old.. Been selling property there for 5 yrs... Had developed a 7 story condo.. Had lost 20 million Baht....

Was he a lottery winner, Internet millionaire, Trust fund kid or was his Thai wife rich ?

Seems a awful lot of money made in a very short period of time

I was thinking the exact same thing...

It never ceases to amaze me how these internet farang forums resort to being platforms for whinging about everything that is bad about Thailand. I agree that many posters on this thread that speculating way too much about the shooter until the facts are in. But hey, what the hel_l, let's slam the Thai people. If life here is so onerous then no-one is pointing a gun at your head forcing you to stay here. As a foreigner if you want respect from Thais then behave in a way that is worthy of respect.

Even this goes completely OT, I will comment on the respect part even it should be on a other Thai Society or something thread. Mostly I do agree with you but all the respect you will ever get is the respect for a farang since you're not Thai, (well, depends how Thai the respectants are).

Actually there might even be a case where someone is holding a gun on your head to stay here.

List of the magic three of Thais consept of respect.

1: Older (Phii), well doesn't matter much if your not really old on comparison since you are not Thai.

2: How much money you have/wealth (Rueai), since you are farang this is already a nescessity because you have been able to come here in the first place.

3: How much power/guns you have, against someone who might try to confront you. A guaranteed success, usually.

But well as the case of this poor guy will show maybe it's just not enough. All same happens to Thais every day.

I'm not talking black and white but just as what I have percieved. No:2 bothers me the most, since my colture thought me it's not so important, I can still have a nice relations with my "rich" Thai family-in-law, but it can be recognized.

I should ad that more money more dangerous it gets here on avg. so maybe I'm just like.

So sorry for another life wasted before it's time.

VDO: Police are still working on the murder case of a Canadian businessman in Patong and managed to detain one suspect.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=976

Pol. Lt. Gen. Santan Chayanond, commissioner of police region 8 looking after upper south Thailand, on Saturday held a meeting with the investigation team, tourist police and immigration officers in Phuket to work on the murder case of a Canadian property developer in Patong. Mr. Francis Alex Degioanni, aged 34, was shot dead in a car while coming back to the front of his house in Patong on Thursday night. The commissioner spent two hours meeting with his officers and instructed the operation unit to check the clues from Closed Circuit Television or CCTV installed nearby the location where the shooting took place. Police suspect 3 killing motives, being a business conflict, personal conflict and marital affairs. The victim was reported to be a businessman with hundreds of millions of baht in assets. Police have now detained one suspect and are still working on the evidence and witnesses. They are believed to be able to bring the gunman to face conviction soon. We also pass our condolences to his family and friends.

Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 7pm & 1am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Monday 23rd February 2009 http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews.com Comments to [email protected]

If the poster above is correct that he's 34 and developed a 7-floor condo, plus other property dealings then why would he get scammed out of 20m baht? Surely, he knew the ropes better than almost anyone being in the business himself for five years (it's not clear how long he's been in Thailand)?

Anyhow, a lot of speculation but then that's natural in a free thinking forum. No offense intended. The mans dead and sorry to all his loved ones.

Canadian gunned down on his birthday

Kathu Police officers were alerted to the incident at around 8.30 pm. ...

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-02-20

but

Canadian gunned down on his birthday

Patong's Kathu police superintendent Grissak Songmoonark said he was called to the scene of the shotting about 6.45pm on Thursday....

:o

"Something fishy..

34 yrs old.. Been selling property there for 5 yrs... Had developed a 7 story condo.. Had lost 20 million Baht....

Was he a lottery winner, Internet millionaire, Trust fund kid or was his Thai wife rich ?

Seems a awful lot of money made in a very short period of time"

LOL just because you are a loser doesn't mean everybody else is. I am 28 and not an internet millionaire and not a trust fund baby (parents are dirt poor to be exact) and don't have a rich girlfriend, and i have all of that now, if you break it down into $ values. with hard work, brains, sound money management and a bit of luck a lot of people make that and more for themselves fairly early in life.

hint: these people are usually not making their money teaching english in thailand

Edited by DegenFarang

Something fishy..

Its not alot of money on the grand scale of things....you don't think people get in the property market to make a few thousand baht a year do you?

My condolances to his family.In Vancouver there is a recent "epidemic" of gang shootings,so it ain't much safer here.My wife and I recently received 3.5 acres of land from her Dad in a quiet area of Phuket,however I am cognizant that it is not my property in any way shape or form.

..... and someone has most likely already moved onto the property :o

As the adage goes, "Never invest more in Thailand than you're willing to lose...."

Now the stakes have been raised to risking your life. Is it worth it? Do what Thailand wants you to do, come here, spend money, check out Thailand's daughters, and leave happy...

RIP

all so true and good advice.

What a stupid statement. You can easily replace Thailand with Iceland / UK / America etc etc. Quite clearly when you invest no matter what country, there is a chance you could lose all of your investment.

Anyway, this guy lost his life but was found carrying his own handgun! Why for? Presumably because he's involved with something illegal or unethical. I've also lived & invested here for more than a decade as well as in some other countries and I've never needed to carry gun. So once again the naive people wants to blame Thailand for the work of some criminal.

>>Anyway, this guy lost his life but was found carrying his own handgun! Why for? Presumably because he's involved with something illegal or unethical. I've also lived & invested here for more than a decade as well as in some other countries and I've never needed to carry gun. So once again the naive people wants to blame Thailand for the work of some criminal.

Maybe he knew he was dealing with some nefarious characters and felt that some self protection was needed.  Certainly the info he gave his dad that he was worried about lving is reason enough to have some sort of protection. But just because you carry a weapon doesn't mean you are a criminal and/or dealing with criminals. 

As the adage goes, "Never invest more in Thailand than you're willing to lose...."

Now the stakes have been raised to risking your life. Is it worth it? Do what Thailand wants you to do, come here, spend money, check out Thailand's daughters, and leave happy...

RIP

all so true and good advice.

What a stupid statement. You can easily replace Thailand with Iceland / UK / America etc etc. Quite clearly when you invest no matter what country, there is a chance you could lose all of your investment.

Anyway, this guy lost his life but was found carrying his own handgun! Why for? Presumably because he's involved with something illegal or unethical. I've also lived & invested here for more than a decade as well as in some other countries and I've never needed to carry gun. So once again the naive people wants to blame Thailand for the work of some criminal.

It is extremely difficult for a farang to live and work in Thailand without becoming involved in something illegal or unethical (although some take to it with a bit more vigour than others). Carrying a gun does not mean he has done anything else wrong.

Something fishy..

Very interesting my friend. I've learned from my work it's very easy for unlawfull foreigners to settle here, specially in holiday places like Phuket and Pattaya. The Thai government are aware of a few because their countries asked the local government to deport them back to face their charges but for some reason it get's forgotten. You really on a interesting point...

It is extremely difficult for a farang to live and work in Thailand without becoming involved in something illegal or unethical (although some take to it with a bit more vigour than others).
No, it is not.

of course not.What a ridiculous statement.

But just because you carry a weapon doesn't mean you are a criminal and/or dealing with criminals. 

True, but sure as eggs are oval it don't mean you are dealing with the Salvation Army either. Very few ordinary people, leading ordinary lives carry firearms. Such people may have guns at home in case of a break in but few go about their business tooled up.

Sure it is possible to do business in Thailand and be ethical and straight as a die but, in some business ventures, it is easier and the deals are made quicker if you bend with the wind.

It is extremely difficult for a farang to live and work in Thailand without becoming involved in something illegal or unethical (although some take to it with a bit more vigour than others).
No, it is not.

of course not.What a ridiculous statement.

As I said some take to it with more vigour than others but lets play 'I have never.......' for the hypothetical farang:-

driven whilst over the limit or without the correct licence

used nominees in a company set up

underdeclared earnings

had the incorrect visa for the purpose of visit

worked without a work permit that correctly and fully describes the real work that i do

paid a bribe

just of the top of my head, there are of course many more

a farang simply cannot live and work in thailand and be 100% straight - i am not making any qualative judgement either way by saying that

CRIME is growing on Phuket in 2009 and the island's small police force is at full stretch, the Phuket Police Commander, Major General Apirak Hongtong, said today. His comments came after a Thai man aged about 40 was shot dead around 10pm last night in a killing on Sakdideat Road, which runs between Phuket City and Cape Panwa.

Full report at Phuketwan.com: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/fourth-murder...-full-strectch/

KATHU, PHUKET: Kathu Police have arrested five men in connection with the murder in Phuket of Canadian real estate developer Francis Alex Degioanni.

One man was arrested yesterday and a further four today, following the issuance of arrest warrants. Police were unwilling to release the suspects’ names at the time of filing this report.

It is understood that the mastermind behind the murder is not among those arrested.

Kathu Police Superintendent Grissak Songmoonnark said that police are now confident that the killing was motivated by a business dispute.

Col Grissak added that the police are still hunting additional gang members in and outside of Phuket.

(phuket Gazette)

At 9pm Friday March 6, eight men are being questioned at Kathu Police Station and about to be presented to the media.

Updating report at Phuketwan.com

Earlier report:

PHUKET police say that eight arrests have been made in the murder investigation of the shooting of a Canadian property developer in Patong.

The island's police chief, Major General Apirak Hongtong, said today that seven of the arrests were made in Bangkok while the eighth was made in Petchaburi, a province between the capital and the resort town of Hua Hin.

The man arrested in Petchaburi is believed to have surrendered to police.

He is being brought to Phuket by helicopter while most of the other seven are being held ''in a safe house'' on Phuket, Major General Apirak said.

He said the eight included the shooter and the gang behind the killing.

Governor Dr Preecha Ruangjan told Phuketwan today that the police deserved credit for a successful investigation. He said he had spoken to the chief of police every day about the case.

Full story: Patong Murder: Police Arrest Eight in 'Gang'

Another update....

A WOMAN from Singapore ordered the killing of a Canadian property developer in Patong, police told the media tonight.

The woman, Diana Goh Li Fun, 32, told police that the Canadian had borrowed money from her then pretended that he owed her nothing.

Because she was broke and he refused to repay the money, she borrowed 1.5 million baht from a friend in Singapore to have him murdered, police allege.

Full Story: Patong Murder: Singapore Woman Accused

Interestingly, the link above to the Phuket Wan news report about the arrest of the suspects in the murder of the Canadian has a second related article there on their web site...

The Phuket police commander is saying the BKK professional hit man hired in the Canadian's case supposedly has confessed to being hired by a Thai to do another killing of a different (second) expat in Phuket after he had finished the first one (the second hit now having been averted). There's an entire separate article on that here.