Expat Developer Shot Dead In Patong

doing business in this country is crazy...if you don't have people trying to scam

you constantly, the police will gladly relieve you of your money if the opportunity exists.

buyer beware x 1000

My golden rules for living in Thailand which I have followed successfully for the past 10years:

Don't start a business

Don't marry a Thai lady (or her family)

Don't drive anything (car or motorbike)

Keep a low profile

Don't appear to be rich

Don't act like a prat

What if I only break 5 out of the 6 rules above ? Am I safe ? :o

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the adage goes, "Never invest more in Thailand than you're willing to lose...."
A very stupid adage if ever I heard one. Could you tell me in exactly which countries you would invest more than you are willing to lose? Edited by inthepink

The fact is

life is cheap here

In Thailand, we believe in vigilante = ศาลเตี้ย

we don't go to the courts of law = ศาลสูง = ศาลชั้นต้น/ศาลอุทธรณ์/ศาลฎีกา

Thai schools of Law are not popular .... just ***nothing at all*** comparing to the school of medicine/bzyness/finanace etc...

In Thailand, we are stupid that we usually classified people into certain classes

# HiSo

# Average

# LoSo

by these criteria : profession/occupation/money & gold/Address and Surname etc...

Trust me we do this more SeRiOuSLy than the westerners do : just ask any of ur Thai friends

Lawyers are considered to be in the Low-to-Average/Moderate class

I am Thai and I DO NOT trust "The police department & Justice system of TH"

If u mess with the Russian Gangs here, it's not da real vigilante hel_l.

But if u're involuntarily on trial / being tried in a Thai court of vigilante, this is the real hel_l.

-------------------------

In Japan ---> drunk driving (Alcohol > 15mg%) = fine 100,000 Yen = fine ~ 950 $US + "1 YEAR IN JAIL"

You have to go to jail for 1 year for drunk driving but NOT EVEN hit somebody

drunk driving + hit a person to death = 15 yrs in jail

In Thailand ---> drunk driving (Alcohol > 50mg%) = fine some little amount of money, you don't go to jail

--------------------------

It's easy to kill someone in Thailand.

crime in Thailand is like an Iceberg --> 90% underwater and unsolved cases

around 10% are solved and in the evening NEWS.

Vigilante rulez

Edited by Lorlum
There are too many people talking out of their ass in this thread.

A lot - too much - speculation.

Killed on his birthday - sounds like something personal.

I too noticed: "married to a Thai national" and "waiting on his girlfriend"...

Do I need to point something out in this post?

Is that a joke?

Normal Thai Business ... :o

But they are just unsolved, because the expat-community cares a shit. Sorry. The chinese angyi sticked together. Now they rule the country. But all these fuc_king Farang - most of you - have nothing else to do than blame your fellow-foreigners because they did not behave "Thai-Style".

One of you will be next.

And then there will be a thread on this forum - and people will shit on you and your family also.

Shame on you.

This is not new, happens to many more than you know about.

Big story when a rich farang gets wacked!

Cops? Solve this fast?

PS: He bought the gun from the cops, 50k ++ no permit but was registered to his Thai wife.

Anyway, ...

RIP my friend

Sadly this puts a whole new meaning to the adage "all his birthdays came at once".

Someone will be grieving.

Reminds me of the shock my wife and I felt last year when her really lovely Thai uncle was shot dead in his car

by shot gun, point blank, to the head last year.

He had a finance business way down south in the L.O.S. was well respected, very straight and didnt carry a gun.

There was something suspicious and his wife aint saying nuttin.

Edited by Jing Joe

spot on

As the adage goes, "Never invest more in Thailand than you're willing to lose...."

Now the stakes have been raised to risking your life. Is it worth it? Do what Thailand wants you to do, come here, spend money, check out Thailand's daughters, and leave happy...

RIP

But they are just unsolved, because the expat-community cares a shit. Sorry. The chinese angyi sticked together. Now they rule the country. But all these fuc_king Farang - most of you - have nothing else to do than blame your fellow-foreigners because they did not behave "Thai-Style".

One of you will be next.

And then there will be a thread on this forum - and people will shit on you and your family also.

Shame on you.

So what do you expect the expat community to do? go on the warpath, have a demonstration?

You are like many others, shouting at the mouth before the facts are known. :D

So it seems you joined this forum just to say your bit. :o

Maybe never have been to Thailand. What do you know ? :D

Maybe will never post again as well.

Anyway you wont be missed. :D

Syl.

post-74273-1235166361.gif

The fact is

life is cheap here

In Thailand, we believe in vigilante = ศาลเตี้ย

we don't go to the courts of law = ศาลสูง = ศาลชั้นต้น/ศาลอุทธรณ์/ศาลฎีกา

Thai schools of Law are not popular .... just ***nothing at all*** comparing to the school of medicine/bzyness/finanace etc...

In Thailand, we are stupid that we usually classified people into certain classes

# HiSo

# Average

# LoSo

by these criteria : profession/occupation/money & gold/Address and Surname etc...

Trust me we do this more SeRiOuSLy than the westerners do : just ask any of ur Thai friends

Lawyers are considered to be in the Low-to-Average/Moderate class

I am Thai and I DO NOT trust "The police department & Justice system of TH"

If u mess with the Russian Gangs here, it's not da real vigilante hel_l.

But if u're involuntarily on trial / being tried in a Thai court of vigilante, this is the real hel_l.

-------------------------

In Japan ---> drunk driving (Alcohol > 15mg%) = fine 100,000 Yen = fine ~ 950 $US + "1 YEAR IN JAIL"

You have to go to jail for 1 year for drunk driving but NOT EVEN hit somebody

drunk driving + hit a person to death = 15 yrs in jail

In Thailand ---> drunk driving (Alcohol > 50mg%) = fine some little amount of money, you don't go to jail

--------------------------

It's easy to kill someone in Thailand.

crime in Thailand is like an Iceberg --> 90% underwater and unsolved cases

around 10% are solved and in the evening NEWS.

Vigilante rulez

Excellent Post!

Well-explained and clear... Ateebai mawsom dee jing jing

Thank you very much! Kawp khun mag na krab!

:o

Lots of speculation and no facts. Here's something to munch on;

- The deceased was separated from his wife who left him shortly after she gave birth to their daughter that is now 3 years old. The ex is now back in Patong to care for her daughter.

- The deceased had earned income as a part time model in his youth. This would suggest then then he had the looks and had probably in dealing with the public and marketing, developed to their peak due to the modeling experience.

- The deceased did have money from other ventures that had done well. Not vast quantities, but enough to dispel the suggestion that he was a "Canadian Scam artist". To describe him of such, ignores the reality of the real estate business. It is the selling of a dream. A good looking, well spoken person will do well at it.

- The deceased had spoken out preiously as to an ongoing dispute with a former business partner. His family has elaborated on this and stated that he had accused the person of trying to poison him and was living in fear for his life.

- The developer is a female, which may fuel the romantic speculations of those that have imaginations nurtured by a steady diet of tabloids like the Sun. However, once the person's identity is made public, those that know who's who in the real estate business will be able to offer their own views.

I note that the police have not released this other developer's name. Fair enough as there is no evidence to support the attempted murder accusation or even her involvement in the murder. However, for lesser important people, the name is released in less contentious cases. It causes me to wonder why the name is not released in this case. Have your paper and crayons ready to draw the little dotted lines.

I trust this provides some background information so that the need to blame the victim for this tragedy can be averted.

Edited by geriatrickid