Expat Developer Shot Dead In Patong

My golden rules for living in Thailand which I have followed successfully for the past 10years:

Don't start a business

Don't marry a Thai lady (or her family)

Don't drive anything (car or motorbike)

Keep a low profile

Don't appear to be rich

Don't act like a prat

What if I only break 5 out of the 6 rules above ? Am I safe ? :o

Just curious which one of the rules have you not broke? Starting a business?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doing business in this country is crazy...if you don't have people trying to scam

you constantly, the police will gladly relieve you of your money if the opportunity exists.

buyer beware x 1000

A foreigner doing business with Thais - if they feel cheated and/or lose face - can result in death. The Canadian had been in Thailand long enough that he surely knew that. Sadly, farangs come to Thailand to make money and forget that they are dealing with a culture not similar to their own. My Thai wife and I own a home in Thailand. We are not there to make money. I, as a farang, know to keep my mouth shut and don't do business trying to make a lot of money. When a deal goes bad, foreigners - as well as Thais - often lose their lives. This reads as a planned murder.

doing business in this country is crazy...if you don't have people trying to scam

you constantly, the police will gladly relieve you of your money if the opportunity exists.

buyer beware x 1000

My golden rules for living in Thailand which I have followed successfully for the past 10years:

Don't start a business

Don't marry a Thai lady (or her family)

Don't drive anything (car or motorbike)

Keep a low profile

Don't appear to be rich

Don't act like a prat

What a crock. I've done all the above and I'm still here after 14 years. And I own a house.

It never ceases to amaze me how these internet farang forums resort to being platforms for whinging about everything that is bad about Thailand. I agree that many posters on this thread that speculating way too much about the shooter until the facts are in. But hey, what the hel_l, let's slam the Thai people. If life here is so onerous then no-one is pointing a gun at your head forcing you to stay here. As a foreigner if you want respect from Thais then behave in a way that is worthy of respect.

WoW! Seems there is still back-bone on this site after all. :o

i have just about had enough of the speculation on this thread, and the nasty comments.

have some respect people. a fellow human being has been shot down in cold blood. he is someones son, brother and father.

my condolences to Franks family. may they have the strength to put their lives back together.

to posters who insist on posting rubbish, this is a public warning. it will not be tolerated any more. enough already!

And just as importantly, a father to add to the above.

Hopefully, all those that wish to expound on this, will keep in mind that there is a 3 year old child that has lost her dad. I hope the murderer(s) get to see a picture of that kid and it is seared into his (their) memory(s). A horrific and life changing loss for a child.

Court case about 20 million baht. Gunned down. There's the first lead to follow right there. Sad murder case again. Reminds me of the popular Thai restaurant owner killed recently in Phuket.

People always say it's getting worse and worse, but I talked to people who were in Phuket 20-30 years ago and from what they say (everyone had a gun, lots of violence and death threats being thrown about even in the "christian" organization for which they were going to work but had to flee the country after getting death threats from the thai "christians" whom they were supposed to replace in a position of importance in the "christian organization"), it's possible it's actually gotten better. Unfortunately, Thailand is still a developing country like the Philippines where hitmen are cheap and killing over financial matters is still an acceptable way to solve problems for too many (anything more than zero is too many in my opinion).

Can you tell me how come that there is so many difference between the reports of the Phuketwan and the Phuket gazette. The first paper report that the guy came to live in the island two years ago, and the other said that he as been living here since five years, he was cribled by seven bullets in the Gazette but only by four in Phuketwan. According to the Gazette, the police were alerted at 20:30 but the Phuketwan wrote that they were to the scene at 18:45??? In one report, the man's wife said that she was sitting with him in their truck when the shooting occured and in the other one she said that her husband when out after receiving a phone call.

That's very strange isn't?

My condolences to his family....it brings back terrible memories of being informed of my brothers murder in Ranong last year. Hopefully justice will be served but I am really wondering now about Thailands judicial system since the perpetrators in my brothers case are free roaming the streets on bail till the trial at the end of July then who knows.....tea money can buy you almost anything in Thailand. Sad....

Condolences to you and your family too. Shame to say but you are spot on with your view of justice. I'm afraid to say Thailand is still run along the lines of clans and tribes which is partly why they are so reliant on the group. We explats living on the outside of any Thai group are at risk as they don't have a conscious when it comes to doing the dirty on non-thais - much as we don't when swotting a fly! Indeed, to that end it could even be an actioned sanctioned and/or carried out by the very same people who supposedly preside over law and order out here.

If you're a millionaire and living in Thailand dont tell everyone that you're rich .

Keep a low profile, dont buy a Porsche , just act normal and keep your money in the bank.

Its very simple rules but some guys never learn , being a young and wealthy farang in a country like Thailand spells trouble to me....

There are too many people talking out of their ass in this thread.

A lot - too much - speculation.

Killed on his birthday - sounds like something personal.

I too noticed: "married to a Thai national" and "waiting on his girlfriend"...

What is wrong with speculation? A good detective will speculate on possiblities. If posters/readers don't believe in freedom of speculation and/or freedom of speech then they should move over to NorthKoreaVisaForum or SaudiArabiaVisaForum. And they should move there also. Bon voyage fasciasts.

my guess is it has to do with the 20 mil baht. "businessmen" in this country just shoot you, start a fire, or blow something up if they don't get the deal they want. 20 mil baht is enough of a reason to kill a farang in this country.

I thought it was from 1 million up :o

Then I can tell you that 5.000,- can be enough.

This will probably make some Canadians reading here laugh, and feel angry at the same time. Or maybe just get angry, but I hope not.

I live near in a busy city about an hour south of the Canadian border. I have Canadian relatives. I like Wayne Gretsky. Let's get that out of the way.

Ever since I can remember, there have always been spirited Canadians who come down and setup grand projects, business ventures, often dealing with property. I think there is an inherent desire among some to get out of Canada and "make it big". Some of them are successful. There is always, how to put it nicely.... Whenever there is a Canadian out setting up a deal around here, whatever it is, there is always an air of dodgy, semi-illegal, scam undercurrent. I don't know why. But I have never really heard of a completely legitimate Canadian investor, they have always got something up their sleeve. This is not to accuse all Canadians, just those few who venture out into the international scene with a business of some sort.

So reading this story, obviously he did not deserve to get killed but he likely sought out the intrigue and environment that led to his death.

My vote for the most offensive, ridiculously presumptive post of the week. Cheers -

buyer beware x 1000

I dunno, most business here seems pretty much like business back home other than the expected cultural quirks and the tea money, frankly. Leaving aside the nightlife industry, which is dicey in any country, the only industry that seems to have a massive casualty rate is real estate. I'm not sure if that's because it's full of farang swindlers, because it's full of Thai swindlers or because land is a sensitive area in which to do business in The Kingdom, but you'll note that you never read "Man Killed in Teaching Dispute." or "Local IT Worker Murdered Over Alleged Fraud." Perhaps the best general advice is to stay away from real estate and don't marry women who work in nightlife, heh. Most horror stories on these forums and in the papers concerning an expat involves one or both of those things.

Edited by on-on

the upcoming court case should give the police more than enough clues as to who ordered this hit. all the police need to do now is to check the connections of mr. big before deciding whether to arrest him or not , as the case may be.

as with the hua hin shooting , the local plod may be fearful of treading on powerful toes.

and again , as with the hua hin case , the (in this case , canadian) embassy should push the government to solve this crime by having some uninvolved outside plod take over the investigation.

with the hua hin shooting , i believe that the us embassy made representations to the thai authorities to speed up the investigation.

i dont know how involved the canadian embassy will be in this.

the foreign press could help this by publicising the crime , there seems to be little mention of this case yet outside thailand.