Important Info For 1st Visit

meg

:o This will be my first visit to Thailand. I was planning to go rock climbing in Krabi. Is this still happening? I would also like to volunteer to help rebuild. Is it easy to find accomodations in Krabi (cheap)? I am just wondering what it will be like when I get there. You can imagine all the questions I have!

Thanks for any advice and information about travelling alone, rock climbing, eating, sleeping, getting from Bangkok to Krabi etc, etc.

Cheers!

:o  This will be my first visit to Thailand. I was planning to go rock climbing in Krabi. Is this still happening? I would also like to volunteer to help rebuild.  Is it easy to find accomodations in Krabi (cheap)? I am just wondering what it will be like when I get there. You can imagine all the questions I have!

Thanks for any advice and information about travelling alone, rock climbing, eating, sleeping, getting from Bangkok to Krabi etc, etc.

Cheers!

For travel from Bangkok you can either take the Bus (The VIP is worth the price), or to get there fast you can fly "Nok Air" for about $25 US to Phuket, then transfer to Krabi by bus. The bus is scenic, but long, the plane faster and less scenic.

Don't know if Orient Thai flys there, but their aircraft are ancient.

Have Fun

cv

:o  This will be my first visit to Thailand. I was planning to go rock climbing in Krabi. Is this still happening? I would also like to volunteer to help rebuild.  Is it easy to find accomodations in Krabi (cheap)? I am just wondering what it will be like when I get there. You can imagine all the questions I have!

Cheers!

You can fly directly to Krabi, it used to be Bkk Air flying this route, probably still is. The air strip is some 20 kms out of town.

Decent GH in Krabi town is 3-400 baht, particularly the ones located on Chao Fah Road are good value. Bai Fern GH is brand new and so is Ban Chao Fah both located on Chao Fah Road and both in this price range.

Cheers

Michael

• 5 months later...

Cheers!

Unlike many peoples thoughts and rumours Krabi was not really directly affected by the Tsunami, after the wave happened within a few weeks the place was back to pretty much normal, the indirect affect of the Tsunami was the obvious loss of trade to both Expat and Thai companies alike, in the middle of the "high" season, which has lead to a somewhat elongated "low season".

With regards to rebuilding then Krabi has no need for this at all, the place that did need it was Khao Lak, but unsure of the situation there now.

To get to Krabi from BKK I think at the moment the only airline flying down here is Thai Airways and flights will cost you around 2500-3000 baht and then a taxi into Krabi or Ao Nang is about 500 baht.

For rock climbing your real destination for at least some of your stay will have to be Railay or Tonsai Beach where all the real climbers hang out. You can get to these places by long tail from Ao Nang which is the main tourist area in the Krabi town area. You can get a ride into Ao Nang from Krabi town for around 50 baht and are readily available. Once in Ao Nang you get a longtail boat for around 50 baht, last time i checked, and accomodation is available on both beaches. Or you can indeed get a boat from Krabi town as well.

But all intents and purposes the hard core part of the rock climber population generally stay on Tonsai, but you can easily stay in Ao Nang and get the boat over to climb everyday, as it takes less than an hour.

As for cheap accomodation you can stay in Krabi for the cheapest option, but can find accomodation in Ao Nang again price changing a lot and varying time of year, but at the moment prices ranging from sweat box 300-400 with fan to 500-600 baht with A/C upwards. If you are lookng at staying longer term than you can certainly rent some places at better rates say 6-7 thousand baht a month with aircon.

As for travelling alone, many many backpackers pass into and through Krabi all year round travelling alone will no ill affects, but its just common sense, respect the locals, the local culture, (i.e. no swanning around in bikinis on the street, covering shoulders is appreciated), and you will have a good time i am sure!

The locals are used to foreign visitors and do appreciate their business, just learn a few thai words and you will get on a better than the rest of the people passing through. Hey if you get it wrong you will at least get a laugh.. Pretty much like my thai skills as well.

I have spent a lot of time in Ao Nang and found it really enjoyable, it has a lot for everyone, diving can be excellent there as well, and the people are friendly food is sooooperb! Super spicy Southern Thai food if you want it!

Hope that helps a little, good luck!

:D:D