Captured Malaysian Tells How He Got Involved In Thai Insurgency

sabaijai

Captured Malaysian tells how he got involved in Thai insurgency

Philip Golingai

The Star

Publication Date: 22-02-2009

Malaysian student Muham­mad Fadly Zainal Abidin who is in prison here got involved in the southern Thailand insurgency because of a religious teacher whom he knew for only six months.

Muhammad Fadly said he was convinced to wage jihad after being given evidence of atrocities of the Thai military by the teacher whom he identified as Ustaz Muhammad.

“I believed him because he showed me video footages of Tak Bai and other incidents,” he said.

He was referring to the massacre in the Thai town on the border with Malaysia on Oct 25, 2004, where 78 Muslim protesters died of suffocation and other injuries after being loaded lying down into police trucks.

The interview with Muhammad Fadly was given through three visits to Narathiwat’s minimum-security prison. Each visit lasted about 12 minutes.

The 23-year-old University Teknologi Malaysia student was arrested on June 28 last year when he and Omar Hanif Shamsul Kamar, a 17-year-old Malaysian high school dropout, allegedly tried to steal a motorcycle at a village near Sungai Golok.

Suspicious villagers alerted the police. They recovered full-face masks, kerosene and knives. Since the two could not produce valid travel documents, they were arrested.

They later confessed that they were there to “aid their Muslim brothers who were under the cruel rule of the Thai military.”

Muhammad Fadly said before travelling north, he underwent three weeks of physical training – sit-ups, push-ups and jogging – in Puchong, Selangor.

In Sungai Golok, just across the border from Kelantan, Ustaz Muhammad ordered him and Omar to buy knives and parang, steal a motorcycle, kill Thai soldiers and take their weapons.

“His orders were peculiar. I was shocked as they were not appropriate tasks for me to perform. And they were beyond my capabilities,” said Muhammad Fadly, whose father is a civil servant.

“He told me it was a sin if I were to refuse to follow his orders,” he added, adding that he wanted to escape to Malaysia but the ustaz constantly monitored him.

Muhammad Fadly regretted believing Ustaz Muhammad who has since disappeared.

“If I ever see him again, I will tell him that he is only good at lying,” he said.

His court hearing begins in August.

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news.php?sec=1&id=4121

Captured Malaysian tells how he got involved in Thai insurgency

Philip Golingai

The Star

Publication Date: 22-02-2009

Malaysian student Muham­mad Fadly Zainal Abidin who is in prison here got involved in the southern Thailand insurgency because of a religious teacher whom he knew for only six months.

Muhammad Fadly said he was convinced to wage jihad after being given evidence of atrocities of the Thai military by the teacher whom he identified as Ustaz Muhammad.

"I believed him because he showed me video footages of Tak Bai and other incidents," he said.

He was referring to the massacre in the Thai town on the border with Malaysia on Oct 25, 2004, where 78 Muslim protesters died of suffocation and other injuries after being loaded lying down into police trucks.

The interview with Muhammad Fadly was given through three visits to Narathiwat's minimum-security prison. Each visit lasted about 12 minutes.

The 23-year-old University Teknologi Malaysia student was arrested on June 28 last year when he and Omar Hanif Shamsul Kamar, a 17-year-old Malaysian high school dropout, allegedly tried to steal a motorcycle at a village near Sungai Golok.

Suspicious villagers alerted the police. They recovered full-face masks, kerosene and knives. Since the two could not produce valid travel documents, they were arrested.

They later confessed that they were there to "aid their Muslim brothers who were under the cruel rule of the Thai military."

Muhammad Fadly said before travelling north, he underwent three weeks of physical training – sit-ups, push-ups and jogging – in Puchong, Selangor.

In Sungai Golok, just across the border from Kelantan, Ustaz Muhammad ordered him and Omar to buy knives and parang, steal a motorcycle, kill Thai soldiers and take their weapons.

"His orders were peculiar. I was shocked as they were not appropriate tasks for me to perform. And they were beyond my capabilities," said Muhammad Fadly, whose father is a civil servant.

"He told me it was a sin if I were to refuse to follow his orders," he added, adding that he wanted to escape to Malaysia but the ustaz constantly monitored him.

Muhammad Fadly regretted believing Ustaz Muhammad who has since disappeared.

"If I ever see him again, I will tell him that he is only good at lying," he said.

His court hearing begins in August.

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news.php?sec=1&id=4121

And it has been said that the Thai system of education is "flawed"?? I have always admired the way in which the Malasian government has dealt with religious fanatics....they hunt them down and shoot them!!

This boy is an idiot and his poster should be put up all over the south, with his statement plastered in giant letters accross it... :o

And it has been said that the Thai system of education is "flawed"?? I have always admired the way in which the Malasian government has dealt with religious fanatics....they hunt them down and shoot them!!

This boy is an idiot and his poster should be put up all over the south, with his statement plastered in giant letters accross it... :o

Really? There has been no end of articles citing Malaysia as the epicentre of radicals in SE Asia. I liked this one; http://www.time.com/time/asia/features/mal...rror/cover.html Bit old, but still provides the background.

The government speaks with two voices. One that puts out a law and order image and the other that panders to the religious zealots flaming discrimination against the Chinese and Indian minorities. It wasn't too long ago that the government bulldozed the Hindu temples and won praise from the radical groups that it was supposedly hunting.

Malaysia could certainly do more to help Thailand out in the deep south. The first would be to prevent the financing of terrorist groups in the South. The second would be to crack down on the foreign agitators that go into Malaysia as a means to sneak into the south of Thailand. Although the constitution of Malaysia says it is secular, successive PM's have declared it an Islamic state and Islam is the state religion. Thailand is Buddhist state. Buddhism is contrary to Islam. I think you can put the rest of the puzzle together. Thailand will never be able to count on Malaysia when it comes to curbing terror.

Really? There has been no end of articles citing Malaysia as the epicentre of radicals in SE Asia. I liked this one; http://www.time.com/time/asia/features/mal...rror/cover.html Bit old, but still provides the background.

The government speaks with two voices. One that puts out a law and order image and the other that panders to the religious zealots flaming discrimination against the Chinese and Indian minorities. It wasn't too long ago that the government bulldozed the Hindu temples and won praise from the radical groups that it was supposedly hunting.

Malaysia could certainly do more to help Thailand out in the deep south. The first would be to prevent the financing of terrorist groups in the South. The second would be to crack down on the foreign agitators that go into Malaysia as a means to sneak into the south of Thailand. Although the constitution of Malaysia says it is secular, successive PM's have declared it an Islamic state and Islam is the state religion. Thailand is Buddhist state. Buddhism is contrary to Islam. I think you can put the rest of the puzzle together. Thailand will never be able to count on Malaysia when it comes to curbing terror.

I am very sorry to say the following:

Have a look on a globe;

Look where there is trouble, fighting, insurgencies, terrorism, bombings;

Good chance it is where the Islam borders other religions.

I am very sorry to say the following:

Have a look on a globe;

Look where there is trouble, fighting, insurgencies, terrorism, bombings;

Good chance it is where the Islam borders other religions.

And why is it you never see the headline "Atheists pound Agnostic positions with heavy shelling in retribution for previous attack."? Or "Atheist beheads Agnostic for doubting non existance of prophet."?