11 Orangutans Rescued From Private Zoo

sbk

11 orangutans rescued from private zoo

DAILY XPRESS

Published on February 23, 2009

Officers raid Crocodile and Tiger World in Phuket, where animals were being held illegally

In a raid that has only recently been reported, a team of National Parks Department officers and wildlife activists on February 5 raided a private zoo in Phuket City and rescued 11 young orangutans being held there illegally to serve as a tourist attraction.

The successful raid followed several reports from tourists to the non-governmental Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT) that 10 young orangutans were on display at Crocodile and Tiger World, a private zoo located in Phuket City.

The zoo also features more than 10,000 crocodiles, Bengal tigers, ostriches and gibbons.

Attractions at the zoo allow people to bottle-feed baby tigers for a small fee and watch an attractive young woman stick her head into the mouth of an enormous crocodile.

WFFT secretary-general Edwin Wiek said the raid followed several tip-offs from tourists aware of the plight of the highly endangered orangutans. They sent in pictures and video clips of the primates, which Wiek used to convince officials to organise a January 22 raid on the zoo.

Unfortunately, the first raid was unsuccessful because the media leaked news of the impending raid in time for the zoo owner to hide the apes.

In the successful second raid, carried out on February 5, authorities found 11 orangutans ranging in age from less than two years to about five years in a small stock room, Wiek said.

All 11 animals are now being given medical checks at the WFFT's Rescue Centre in Ratchaburi, he said.

"Two of them are actually quite sick, having trouble with parasites. The other ones weren't fed the right foods and have some bad dental problems. I don't think they will go back to Indonesia soon - or even if they'll go back - because in Indonesia there is so much trouble with the animals in captivity. But at least this zoo is not going to exploit them any longer or import any more," he told Daily Xpress.

Source: The Nation/DailyXpress

Increadible... This has to stop and the sad thing is, it is the tourists, not the thais stopping it.

I agree

You still see Sea Eagles tied to a stick at Kata Viewpoint; and a police car with two policemen just looking on, last time I passed.Taking the money I expect. And a baby elephant on the Patong to Karon Road which looks distressed(Near Meridien)

Money means more than the well being of the animals ,sadly.

Increadible... This has to stop and the sad thing is, it is the tourists, not the thais stopping it.

I agree

You still see Sea Eagles tied to a stick at Kata Viewpoint; and a police car with two policemen just looking on, last time I passed.Taking the money I expect. And a baby elephant on the Patong to Karon Road which looks distressed(Near Meridien)

What about the tigers, oh what a horrid fate for an animal- to be in a Thai " Zoo"

And it's tourists that enable these bastards.

Look at the poor baby elephant at Laguna, " Lucky". Sickly, taken from his mother way too young, ( just how did they get a baby from its mother anyway, shoot her? ) he's not getting the nutrition he needs , on the hot beach everyday SHAME on Laguna!!

And the horses in their stable, DISGUSTING NO room to be free at all HIgh noon hot beach rides with too heavy tourists, mange , wrapping legs on beach rental horses like they're polo ponies? Sand gets in and rubs skin raw , etc etc etc .

MORONS !!!

I have really horrible pics of that place from 3 years ago and in the UK or US the owner would had gone to jail- it's better now , marginally , because I threatened to send the pics to every newspaper I could think of, they did put down a couple of horse that were suffering horribly, starving from some awful disease , maggots eating flesh away . UGH

Edited by HorseDoctor

I agree

The pet store , Fluke near Cherng telay had an eagle in a cage too small to even open its wings , They got real nervous when I took photos.

I arranged for John Grey to take its care on , it looked to be wounded but when I went back to haggle for parole , they'd, " let it go."

BS ! I'll never ever buy pet food from them again , and I buy for about 20 cats .

You still see Sea Eagles tied to a stick at Kata Viewpoint; and a police car with two policemen just looking on, last time I passed.Taking the money I expect.
I think about 2 years ago there was the possibility to register wild animals in captivity. Those animals registered then were allowed to stay, new ones are not allowed any more.

The eagles at Kata View point have been there a long time already, so I presume they are registered and legal.

But excellent they have taken action at that private zoo, hope they keep doing things like that. Since it was reported and action was taken (twice even), this means that it is possible to do something about things like this.

You still see Sea Eagles tied to a stick at Kata Viewpoint; and a police car with two policemen just looking on, last time I passed.Taking the money I expect.
I think about 2 years ago there was the possibility to register wild animals in captivity. Those animals registered then were allowed to stay, new ones are not allowed any more.

The eagles at Kata View point have been there a long time already, so I presume they are registered and legal.

But excellent they have taken action at that private zoo, hope they keep doing things like that. Since it was reported and action was taken (twice even), this means that it is possible to do something about things like this.

" registered and legal."

I don't think so; surely Eagles are both a protected species and "endangered"

No-one should be allowed to keep such beautiful birds in cages or on strings; it's cruel and ILLEGAL.

" registered and legal."

No-one should be allowed to keep such beautiful birds in cages or on strings; it's cruel and ILLEGAL.

First of all I must admit I have no knowledge of this subject, but in Britain there are a few places that have birds of prey - hawks (and I think) eagles etc. I believe they're considered to be conservation projects and many tourists visit to watch them 'fly' etc.

I too have seen the eagles at Kata View point and they seemed happy enough (not that I would know what a 'happy' eagle would look like!) Wouldn't they be a lot more aggressive if they were unhappy? They also look well cared for.

However, as I said before - I know nothing about birds of prey.

Sure, if you think so.

Agree with you it should not be allowed, but it is allowed, and therefor legal. Writing your opinion in capitals does not make the argument any better or stronger.

Sure, if you think so.

Agree with you it should not be allowed, but it is allowed, and therefor legal. Writing your opinion in capitals does not make the argument any better or stronger.

Being "allowed" by the plod taking beer money does not make it legal.

Maybe you'd better read the whole thread.
So yes, it does make it legal and has nothing to do with beer money.

Maybe you'd better read the whole thread.
So yes, it does make it legal and has nothing to do with beer money.

I think you have missed the point of this thread; which pointed out the suffering of some illegaly "Zooed" orangs,

and then went on to discuss the cruelty dealt out to so many animals and birds.

The Thais are not renowned for their gentle treatment of animals, dogs are continually abused and even poisoned in some communities on Phuket,notably in Kamala recently.

I have personal experience of a family member who "rescued "a number of beach dogs in Koh Samui a few years back,and these dogs,after embarking on a foraging party for supplies, were casually beaten to death with a spade by a Thai man who claimed they had taken a couple of his scrawny "jungle Fowls"

Because a bird or animal has been "registered" does not excuse the continued cruelty dealt out to them.

Do you seriously believe those beautiful birds are happy never flying and soaring in the skies that belong to them?,but live imprisonned all their lives.

No ,Sir, they are not happy.

I have not missed any point in this thread. As I pointed out, it is good that something was done about this 'zoo', and more can and should be done.

What I did not miss was you crying out: illegal, cops receiving beermoney, when that is most probably not the case. It may not be according to your or mine values, but neither your nor mine values makes something legal or illegal.