Sixteen Year Aussie Girl Killed

jtp

The yacht is a major part of the topic, IMO.

It is the reason Ali died and background information regarding it and its owners is worthwhile knowing.

If there are any updated news articles detailing the actual events surrounding her death, I will post them as well, but as far as I can find, we have posted them all already up to this time.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder who's yacht it was that caused this

Why? Looking for someone to blame?

It is a maritime accident and unfortunately not that uncommon. Not the fault of the yacht and not the fault of the crew... an accident...sorry mate, no Thai bashing possible here.

Such an unfortunate loss...RIP

First a heartfelt sympathy to the family this is absolutely heart wrenching and with a responsible captain at the controls was 100% avoidable.

Where do you see anyone trying to Thai bash? Why do you have to bring something up that is so out of what this topic is about?

Just for your mislead ignorance yes there is a such thing as an accident but there is also a such thing as carelessness, obviously you didn't know the difference. So why don't you stop trying to Expat bash?

Any vessel pulling into a docking area is supposed to show the highest degree of care, if the throttle was hit by accident being close enough to a dock to hit it then obviously this is carelessness and criminal.

You and I weren't there and I am sure there are more details to the story such as distance travel, alcohol, etc. etc. so before you go off into your little Expat bashing tantrum just stick to the story.

As I understand, the crew parked the boat perfectly, are professionals and have a lot of experience.

In putting covers over the console, somehow the throttle momentarily powered the boat up, stretching the hawser and this is what hit her in the head, and also broke a Thai guy's leg(s) in the same area.

Accidents do happen with large equipment such as ships, trucks, planes etc etc; there is no one or no operator with a perfect safety record; tragically this has meant the death of a young lady from Darwin (I understand) who has been stolen from her parents.

I have no doubt that while blame can be pinned no someone, that the crew feel terrible about this, and would do anything to be able to rewind and replay the incident differently; sadly they cannot.

A little tact and a few facts; technically the comment below is correct, but since the boat had just completing mooring, it is reasonable to understand why engines were still running. While we can all be experts blah blah blah I have little doubt the captain and his/her crew were fully trained and qualified; however for every person that is fully trained and qualified, the reality is accidents can still occur. Rather than look for scapegoats, perhaps better to talk to people who were there (as I have).

'No Thai bashing here but when you are moored on big yachts and ships you ring finished with engines to stop this kind of accident. This is bog standard even Cadets know. If it wasn't done the ships master is at fault, Thai or farang. If it was done then it is the fault of the senior engineer on duty. Either way there is no excuse for a superyacht to start engines by accident. You could go the other route and blame the owner for hiring incompetant crew. '

When berthing it is not unusual to leave your engines running for a short while...cool the turbines, safety check, ensure the docking is safe, tied off properly, charge batteries, etc. What is not usual is to be able to engage the drive without overriding the trottle safety device. Smaller boats, as many here know, have a pull ring on the trottle to avoid accidentally engaging drive. You must use 2 hands to deliberately engage drive/gear. Larger vessels have such similar devices. It could be that that the vessel was in the process of berthing and had just tied off one or two warps/ropes? You just do not stay in gear after berthing/tying off..... Never.

My deepest sympathies to her distraught parents and family for their dreadful loss.

Edited by harleyclarkey

Yes of course first and foremost are sympathies for the family.

Docks and boats, even super-high-end charters, are dangerous places.

Sailors and stevedores have been dieing dockside since the first boat left shore.

And also the occasional dockside visitor, including the generally seaworthy,

and knowledgeable visitor. It is a sad fact.

When ships are docking, especially of this siz,e huge forces of

power, mass and inertia are inplay, vs

limited amounts of restraint's and control of the boats movements.

A recipe for the unexpected, periodically.

Accidentally hitting the controls or a technical failure are far from unheard of

in most any class of sea going vessel when docking.

Sadly Ali was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

No doubt a yacht of this class is Lloyds insured, and necessaries will be covered,

and if the family deems necessary a measure of punitive damages assessed also.

From what I have read the family were knowledgeable about yachts and the surrounding dangers.

Likely they may be interested in only the facts of what happened and why,

and not punishment for what really seems an unfortunate accident dockside.

RIP Ali.

I wonder who's yacht it was that caused this

Why? Looking for someone to blame?

It is a maritime accident and unfortunately not that uncommon. Not the fault of the yacht and not the fault of the crew... an accident...sorry mate, no Thai bashing possible here.

Such an unfortunate loss...RIP

All accidents have a root cause normally lack of training, lack of management control or unsafe behaviour. There is no such thing as an accident!!! :o

So all things come down to negligence, is that what you are saying Phil? Can I call you Phil.

So when I stubbed my toe on the coffee table the other night is was do to unsafe behavior or lack of walking training on my part. There is a place for cause and effect but not always in relation to poor management, unsafe behavior or lack of management. It's easy to look for blame when things go terribly wrong but it doesn't change a thing.

Sometimes sh_t just happens.

Yes, sometimes accidents happen, but then should the victim's family go without any compensation? It's all about negligence. There must be a determination through investigation to determine fault, even though there was no intent, if for no other reason but to cause safeguards to be introduced to prevent another similar tragedy.

My condolences to the family of the victim.

Freak yachting accident kills Darwin teenager

A freak yachting accident has claimed the life of a 16-year-old Darwin girl in Phuket, Thailand.

Ali van Os, daughter of author Joanne van Os and barrister Lex Silvester was killed by a flying hawser which snapped at the Yacht Haven marina on the northern shore of Phuket Island.

Five days after the accident, her parents made the heart-breaking decision to cut off the life support system that was keeping Ali alive, even though her brain was said by doctors not to be functioning.

Ali had been with her parents visiting a friend's boat when the super-yacht sailed in and prepared to dock. Ali rushed over to have a closer look as it was tied up.

At the last moment, instead of reversing to come to a complete stop, the yacht unexpectedly surged forward into the wharf causing the hawser, which had already been tied off to the wharf, to break.

Ali was hit in the head by the 10cm wide mooring line as it snapped, suffering a severe head wound.

She was rushed to Bangkok Hospital, bleeding heavily, but doctors said the tests showed that her brain had ceased to function. The family kept a vigil beside her bed for five days before making the decision to have the machines turned off.

Ms van Os is famous for her children's book Brumby Plains and her memoir Outback Heart. Outback Heart told of her marriage to Rod Ansell, the man who inspired the character Crocodile Dundee. She said she took solace in the thought her daughter's final moments were spent around the sea.

'We take some comfort -- a lot of comfort -- that she was doing something she loved'.

- Sail World Australia / 2009-02-28

Edited by sriracha john

Freak yachting accident kills Darwin teenager

A freak yachting accident has claimed the life of a 16-year-old Darwin girl in Phuket, Thailand.

Ali van Os, daughter of author Joanne van Os and barrister Lex Silvester was killed by a flying hawser which snapped at the Yacht Haven marina on the northern shore of Phuket Island.

Five days after the accident, her parents made the heart-breaking decision to cut off the life support system that was keeping Ali alive, even though her brain was said by doctors not to be functioning.

Ali had been with her parents visiting a friend's boat when the super-yacht sailed in and prepared to dock. Ali rushed over to have a closer look as it was tied up.

At the last moment, instead of reversing to come to a complete stop, the yacht unexpectedly surged forward into the wharf causing the hawser, which had already been tied off to the wharf, to break.

Ali was hit in the head by the 10cm wide mooring line as it snapped, suffering a severe head wound.

She was rushed to Bangkok Hospital, bleeding heavily, but doctors said the tests showed that her brain had ceased to function. The family kept a vigil beside her bed for five days before making the decision to have the machines turned off.

Ms van Os is famous for her children's book Brumby Plains and her memoir Outback Heart. Outback Heart told of her marriage to Rod Ansell, the man who inspired the character Crocodile Dundee. She said she took solace in the thought her daughter's final moments were spent around the sea.

'We take some comfort -- a lot of comfort -- that she was doing something she loved'.

- Sail World Australia / 2009-02-28

Thanks for the update SJ......I see above that, as I guessed, a warp/hawser was already attached and during berthing the boat shot forward thereby snapping it. The speed and force are unbelieveable.

Unfortunately, I have seen this happen before but without the tragic ending as this incident had.

Again I feel so so bad, as any parent will feel, for adventerous, fun loving Ali and her parents/family.

What a tragic loss of one so young. Condolences to the family.

:o

A boat accident in Thailand has claimed the life of a 16-year-old Darwin girl.

Family and friends described Ali van Os as a "beautiful" and "entrancing" girl after her life support machine was turned off last night, the Northern Territory News reports.

Ali was on a friend's boat tied up at a marina in northern Phuket Island last Wedneday when a luxury "superyacht" sailed in.

She ran down the wharf to take a closer look at the 50m yacht when it is believed someone knocked the boat's throttles, causing the boat to surge forward and plough into the wharf where Ali was standing.

It is believed a 10cm wide mooring rope, known as a hawser, smashed into Ali's head.

Paramedics rushed Ali to a hospital on Phuket Island but her brain had ceased to function and she lost too much blood to make a recovery.

Thai authorities are now investigating the incident.

Family friend Terri Robson paid tribute to Ali yesterday, telling the Northern Territory News that she was an "amazing young woman".

"Ali's just one of those people that's just so engaging," she said. "People were entranced by her."

Ali was the daughter of a prominent Darwin barrister, Lex Silvester, and well-known author Joanne van Os, both of whom were holidaying with their daughter when tragedy struck last week.

The parents made the agonising decision to turn off Ali's life support system at 6pm last night.

Ms Robson said Ali's parents were "very upset" but they wanted to thank friends for their support over the past week.

".....

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,

Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;

As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,

To the end, to the end, they remain."

Laurence Binyon 1869-1943

".....

We will remember them.

This is nothing to do with a war - it was manslaughter by a person on the boat, if the report in "Sail World Australia" can be believed.

We will still remember her though. RIP Ali van Os.

".....

We will remember them.

This is nothing to do with a war - it was manslaughter by a person on the boat, if the report in "Sail World Australia" can be believed.

Accidental death or death by misadventure.

Manslaughter is for bar fights that turn bad.

This was no doubt a pure accident.

Something happened at the wheel and we don't know what, but there is little likelihood of ill intent.

Regardless the Captain is responsible whether he was topsides

or in the engine room or tie in his bunk with dengue fever at 104 f.

Accidental death or death by misadventure.

Manslaughter is for bar fights that turn bad.

You don't know what you are talking about:

man·slaugh·ter

n.

The unlawful killing of one human by another without express or implied intent to do injury.

This was no doubt a pure accident.

Were you there?

Something happened at the wheel and we don't know what, but there is little likelihood of ill intent.

And that is the definition of manslaughter.

Regardless the Captain is responsible whether he was topsides or in the engine room or tie in his bunk with dengue fever at 104 f.

So now you are agreeing with me? Make your mind up.