Quilt Covers?

Duckhook

I'm not sure quite what sort of quilts that you are interested in. I haven't seen any at the department stores (I haven't really looked); and I would figure that those would be mass produced utilitarian models whose sole purpose is to satisfy the dreams of housewives and, of course, warmth.

If you are looking for something more "artistic", I have seen a few simple patchworks on Walking Street and some "traditional decorative quilts" at one of the Wat courtyards on Walking Street. I bracket both terms, because I didn't see them as particularly aesthetically appealing nor do I know if the decorative nature of them is particularly Thai.

Oh, my memory is a bit slow, but I also recall seeing some quilt-like objects at the same Wat that were made up of the fabrics that are associated with hill tribes. I'm not sure if they were actually quilted or just blankets, but they were the most interesting that I have seen.

Sorry that I couldn't have been more vague, but if you want more info I might make it down to Walking Street next Sunday evening and I could find out a little more, like the name of the Wat.

Oh, and to answer the rest of your question, it definitely gets cold enough for a quilt up here.

thenewguy

I can't offer info on Chiangmai shops but have found quilts being sold in household furniture shops in other areas of Thailand.

Normally the quilts are sold or thrown in as a bedding package when you buy beds. The packs come with pillow cases, fitted sheets and a quilt with cover.

If the standard shopping centres fail, try these shops.

Cheers

NL

My terminology may be off, but if your referring to a "dovet", a flat sheet size sack that looks like two sheets sewn together with concealed buttons on one side, then they are available.

I have one bought at the Central Department Store and a filler, usually of a polyester material, one could call a thin quilt, fits inside and is bought separately.

Colors to match bedding are available but they are too warm for me. A blanket is the most warmth I need in Chiang Mai. The temperature on the flatlands around the city rarely, if ever, gets below 16c, occasionally 15c in the very early morning before the sun comes up.

Warm blankets to match bedding colors are likewise available at Central Department Store, including very deep pocket fitted designer sheets. You will pay close to 5k baht for the designer colors, on sale, but they are 250 thread count.

Dear Pro thai expat.

Yes you are spot on. Maybe I didn't make myself too clear. "DUVET" dead right. It's the covers, as described, two big sheets sewn together to form a big sack. Thats what I'm interested in.

We have a very large double bed. 6ft. square. Sometimes called Super King.

I now live in the west of Ireland. Very Beautiful, but not the best for shopping, very difficult to get any sort of selection.

I just wondered whether with the reputation for wonderful material, colours patterns etc. Chiang Mai might be a good place to look.

Regards

Roger

Edited by Duckhook

The Hmong tribe makes some beautiful hand embroidered bed covers like you described except that you would have to make your own opening. King size in the 2,000 baht range... Available in many spots around the night bazarr, as I recall.

Example... bed.jpg

Edited by Ajarn

The "duvets" or "Continental quilts" we get in Oz and the UK are slightly dif to the Thai duvets.

The Thai ones seem to be one piece jobs, virtually impossible to get into a washing machine, and expensive to get drycleaned.

The UK and Oz ones have a sep cover which can be taken off the duvet and washed sep to the duvet.

I know this as I bought 4 king sized thai duvets without checking for detatchable cotton or Poly covers! :o

Well, here goes my second attempt at help on this topic. If you want something really special in the duvet cover line (rather than quilt), you might want to have it made here. As you said there are wonderful fabrics and colors and patterns. Depending on your length of stay, I would suggest that you find some fabric you like and then have a cover made. I can't really recommend a good seamstress/upholsterer, but I'm sure there are others here that could. I do know an excellent tailor who might do the work, I'd have to ask if she was interested first.

Just remember to bring the dimensions so that you get the right size made. You might also want to figure out how you want it to close, whether you want internal ties to secure the actual duvet, etc.

Best of luck,

thenewguy

• 1 year later...

At the Night Bazaar, there is a lady that has a shop, she has beautiful Duvet covers for sale, with matching pillow covers if you like. Also if you would like she has samples of all styles and fabrics so you can pick your own style and colors if you like... I bought one that she had in stock but while I was looking at her samples, she said she could have one done by the next day if I wanted to custom order one. Really beautiful covers. I can't find my receipt but next time I'm over that way I can stop in and get her info if you are interested.

Deb

dmerchent - please post more details - I am sure many of us would be interested.

The Hmong cover in the photo is beautiful.

Duckhook - I would bring a simple diagram of what you need. You might need a Thai-speaking companion to help you but I am sure you can get someone to alter/make the cover you covet. :o