How Sick

patklang

Young girls sold as maids flee abusers

Almost 40 child maids who entered the country illegally ran away from their abusive employers last year.

The youngest girl was aged just 12, the Foundation for Women said.

Dararai Raksasiripong, from the foundation, said the child maids sought help from immigration police.

Almost 350 child and female labourers were detained last year for illegal entry. Sixty-three of them were the victims of human trafficking gangs - 37 of them lured to work as housemaids, 15 worked in the service sector, seven in the industrial sector and four in farming.

Most were sold to work in Thon Buri district in Bangkok and Nonthaburi province.

Continued here.

Now i have heard everything regarding Bangkok.

Thais (hope not farangs) are emplying underage Lao girls to work 12 hours a day/7 days a week and some are getting raped and some are running away.There are trucks bringing them over the border to <snip> ,and making them work and the thai authorities send the young girls back and not arrest the sickos who employ them.

There seems to be an increasing amount of thais doing the <snip> ,and not much the police are doing.

I am amazed there are that many thais emplying maids or are these chinese/thais.

Edited by soundman
news link inserted & inflamatory remarks removed.

Thais(hope not farangs) are emplying underage Lao girls to work 12 hours a day/7 days a week and some are getting raped and some are running away.There are trucks bringing them over the border to scum thais/peodos,and making them work and the thai authorities send the young girls back and not arrest the sickos who employ them.

There seems to be an increasing amount of thais doing the supposed paedo farang crime,and not much the police are doing.

I am amazed there are that many thais emplying maids or are these chinese/thais.

Would be more interesting if you had a source.

Thais(hope not farangs) are emplying underage Lao girls to work 12 hours a day/7 days a week and some are getting raped and some are running away.There are trucks bringing them over the border to scum thais/peodos,and making them work and the thai authorities send the young girls back and not arrest the sickos who employ them.

There seems to be an increasing amount of thais doing the supposed paedo farang crime,and not much the police are doing.

He did, but his maid misplaced the paper :o

Un-substanciated generalisations based on the alleged actions of a minority are not in the interests of Thai Visa.

Topic closed.

Edit - Topic re-opened.

Please keep it civil folks, and within Thai Visa forum rules.

Thank-you.

Edited by soundman

In my GF's family she and sisters started working age 12 to harvest, maid etc far away from home for ridiculous wages (she's not here right now but think she mentioned 500B/month when she worked for a laundry shop starting at 5 am).

Nothing unusual 20 years ago, don't know nowadays, probably not that different.

Also seems that diplomats use indentured maids brought over from 3d world countries, remember a case in Belgian that hit news last year. (several maids escaped diplomat's house and sought refuge with NGO)

I did have a drink at some night place in the boon docks a few weeks back and it seemed all the girls were Lao and some might have been underage, and no way will I divulge where that place is/was :o .

If you think these things don't happen here, keep your eyes shut and sleep well.

Edited by tartempion

I have a friend who had a Myanmar maid leave his employ to to marry a young Thai man. She was 20 or 21. Before she left, she arranged for her cousin to take her place. I have to admit to be surprised that this young woman was barely 17, but she seemed to like her position, her living quarters, and her lifestyle. I would come over for dinner often, and she would serve us, then after, she would ask if there was anything else before running out to meet up with the other domestics (female) and gardeners (male) and head off to Tesco-Lotus.

In the West, we tend to frown on anyone under the age of 18 working. But we need to put ourselves in the position of the people doing the working. Does it give them a better, happier life?

I sterted selling seeds and cards door-to-door when I was 8. At 10, I started a lawn-mowing and snow-shovelling company. At 12, I got a paper route. At 14, I started in restaurants which I continued until I went off to college. I also worked one summer at my dad's printing plant.

So what is the harm if a 16 or 17 or whatever gets a good job?

Abuse is horrible, and being a live-in maid opens up the potential for that. But that does not mean that every single domestic in this country is abused. I dare say the vast majority are happy with their situations.

thanks to the mod for putting the news clip on here.

Some of these are 12 not 16-17

That happened in our "moo baan" last year.

Neighbour always looked down on me because I am riding my bicycle while he is driving his Porsche Cayenne; he said many time to my partner that we were dumb to legalize our (Burmese) maid, paying her a descent salary (THB 8,000), sending her to school twice a week to improve her Thai, giving her a proper room,...

Having, one day, a really strong argue with him, I sent immigration to check my status.

Missus said to them: "you'd better have a look at the opposite villa."

What they found: two underage Burmese sisters who didn't see one baht for more than a year.

A lot of rumors were circulating, as well in the village, about abuses.

But, he just got finned 5,000 for: not declaring alien living on his property.

thanks to the mod for putting the news clip on here.

Some of these are 12 not 16-17

That happened in our "moo baan" last year.

Neighbour always looked down on me because I am riding my bicycle while he is driving his Porsche Cayenne; he said many time to my partner that we were dumb to legalize our (Burmese) maid, paying her a descent salary (THB 8,000), sending her to school twice a week to improve her Thai, giving her a proper room,...

Having, one day, a really strong argue with him, I sent immigration to check my status.

Missus said to them: "you'd better have a look at the opposite villa."

What they found: two underage Burmese sisters who didn't see one baht for more than a year.

A lot of rumors were circulating, as well in the village, about abuses.

But, he just got finned 5,000 for: not declaring alien living on his property.

Abuse happens everywhere, and it should be stomped hard whenever it is uncovered. BUt OK, let's say a maid is younger? Where do we draw the line?

I have watched kids as young as five pick through garbage dumps in Manila to try and scavange enough to sell so their family can eat. Is that better than being a household domestic at 12? The whole situation sucks, and that is why I sponsor several kids thought establised organizations to try and let them be kids and get an education. But there are millions of children living in abject poverty.

I do not condone child labor, but I read an article where Nike (I think it was Nike) was forced to lay off all their employees under the age of 18 at a plant in Indonesia. many of those teeneagers ahd not other options to make a living and entered the sex trade as a last resort. The road to hel_l is often paved with good intentions.

I know what I am posting is not PC. But I think we should not tar everyone and every situation with the same brush.

Bonobo

good post mate,and i fully understamd what you are saying.The problem i have is when they are exploited and abused,there is no excuse for that,when we all should be doing our bit to look after someone not as well off as us.

The culprits should be jailed and the young kids taken care of not throw them out of the country,so they can be even worse off.

Bonobo

good post mate,and i fully understamd what you are saying.The problem i have is when they are exploited and abused,there is no excuse for that,when we all should be doing our bit to look after someone not as well off as us.

The culprits should be jailed and the young kids taken care of not throw them out of the country,so they can be even worse off.

And in that, I agree with you 100%.

Bonobo

And in that, I agree with you 100%.

It is very common for young Burmese (13 - 14 - 15 year olds) to be employed by middle class Thai's. There are also many Thai Yai's employed in the same way.

I don't think that anything too much is gonna change.

Thai's have been exploiting these people (and their own) for centuries.

I am not saying that I agree with or condone the practice.

Edited by john b good