Buddhist Tattoos

zenbangkok

:D I have seen many Thai men with tattoos obviously from temples and of a buddhist nature.. Before I go any further please excuse my ignorance on these matters, I am only asking here as I am curious and hope my lack of knowledge or terminology won't offend anyone.

Many people seem to have tattoos across their upper back/shoulders which look like many triangular spikes, is this some kind of protection sign, can someone explain? also I have seen circles (is this to show the many ways of Buddhism).

I saw a girl the other day with a tiny Buddha tatooed on the upper most part of the bridge of her nose, like a bhindi.

Anyway was speaking to a Western chap who had one of these tattoos across his back, I was very interested to hear what it was about.. :o I asked him but he appeared to have no idea!! just said he went to a temple with some friends and had it done, then put a concealed donation into an envelope.

I am not sure whether this subject is exactly Buddhism but I felt if anyone would know then some people in here would. I am genuinely interested to know, i see so many people with these Tattoos that they must be of some significants.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a few pages on the subject but not alot of in-depth stuff. I'm not a big follower of Thai buddhism, but have been told that most wear tattoos the same as if it were an amulet.

One excerpt:

There are many tattooed men. Tattoos are often religious passages or religious symbols that offer protection to the wearer. The more superstitious the person, the more tattoos they are apt to have. The properties of tattoos are believed to be similar to those of amulets in the sense that they can offer protection from harm and can been seen as attractive. Tattoos have more recently become modern fashion for some of the men and women who wear them.

'Yan' is the drawing of religious mystical symbols to protect the area from ghosts and bad spirits. Most automobiles, taxis, and busses are adorned with 'yan' and amulets to ensure safe trips. 'Yan' is also painted on the doors of houses to keep unwanted and unseen visitors outside.

Source: http://asiarecipe.com/thaispirits.html

There should be someone here who knows more though.

cv

Edited by cdnvic

yeah it's something to do with protection

....i read an article in the bangkok post (maybe aug/oct)

in the article it was explaining about some peoples beliefs/superstitions- mainly that of the boys in brown.

There was a temple in question where a monk wouold tatoo the officers as a sign of protection then say aprayer/blessing and seal the whole episode with a swift hard kick to the police officers leg..

The story continued.... in the past, officers who had visited the temple and had the tatoo etc and had then been shot/stabbed etc....... had make a full recovery :o

the article then told how after word had spread that there were now ques at the temple for tatoo's :D

Edited by bkkbound04

there's a thai movie about a boy whos family gets slaughtered by drug lords; gets saved by monk, gets tattooed, and then gets revenge on drug lords, his tatooes render him immortal like.... dont know the name cause its written in thai but have the movie (friends gave it to me ) apparently its a popular movie just ask thai's....

An animistic tattoo tradition existed in SE Asia before Buddhism arrived here, and the two eventually fused into a system of tattooing using old Khmer letters as seed syllables for various Buddhist verses. These may be accompanied by yantra or visual patterns meant to evoke protection, etc.

The Thais call this sort of tattoo sak yan, literally 'yantra tattoos'.

The series of 'spikes' across the top of the back from shoulder to shoulder is one of the most common, and represents the nine peaks of Mount Meru.

The most famous temple for sak yan is Wat Bang Phra in Nakhon Chaisi, between BKK and Nakhon Pathom. The wat has an annual tattoo festival that's very interesting. Thais come from all over the country to be tattooed by the monks at Wat Bang Phra during the festival. The majority are men but a few women attend as well. The women usually are typically tattooed with sesame oil instead in ink. Once the swelling and redness subsides, the oil tattoos are invisible to the eye but believers say the protective mechanisms continue to function.

The trad tattoos are done by hand using a long metal stylus. I've been to the Nakhon Chaisi festival, and was amazed to see that the tattoo artists can apply a manual tattoo much more quickly than any machine-wielding tattoo artist I've seen.

Angeline Jolie is a fan of Thai tattoos and recently had a couple done by one of Thailand's top tattoo masters. If I could figure out how to insert photos here I'd insert a couple from during and after the session.

If I could figure out how to insert photos here I'd insert a couple from during and after the session.

Assuming you are at the point of posting:

1. Open another browser window and go to the site where the photos are.

2. Place your cursor over the photo you want to link and right-click.

3. Click on 'copy image location' (mozilla or firefox) (or if its IE click 'properties' then highlight the link, right-click again, and click 'copy')

4. Back to this window, above the edit box where you're writing the replys click on and paste the URL you copied off the image in the box that pops up. <click OK>

Done, when you submit your post the photo should be there.

cv

• 1 month later...
Where is the temple famous for doing these tattoos, I have been asked by many of my friends but never know exactly where. Somewhere a couple of hours north of Bangkok, I was told.

See my earlies post in this thread. Directionwise it's WNW from BKK. Takes about an hour to reach there by car, don't know the exact km distance. I went to the festival a few years ago, it's quite an event.

• 1 month later...
there's a thai movie about a boy whos family gets slaughtered by drug lords; gets saved by monk, gets tattooed, and then gets revenge on drug lords, his tatooes render him immortal like.... dont know the name cause its written in thai but have the movie (friends gave it to me ) apparently its a popular movie just ask thai's....

There was also "The Bulletproof Monk" ...

• 2 weeks later...
undefined
:D I have seen many Thai men with tattoos obviously from temples and of a buddhist nature.. Before I go any further please excuse my ignorance on these matters, I am only asking here as I am curious and hope my lack of knowledge or terminology won't offend anyone.

Many people seem to have tattoos across their upper back/shoulders which look like many triangular spikes, is this some kind of protection sign, can someone explain?  also I have seen circles (is this to show the many ways of Buddhism).

I saw a girl the other day with a tiny Buddha tatooed on the upper most part of the bridge of her nose, like a bhindi.

Anyway was speaking to a Western chap who had one of these tattoos across his back, I was very interested to hear what it was about.. :o I asked him but he appeared to have no idea!! just said he went to a temple with some friends and had it done, then put a concealed donation into an envelope.

I am not sure whether this subject is exactly Buddhism but I felt if anyone would know then some people in here would.  I am genuinely interested to know, i see so many people with these Tattoos that they must be of some significants.

What Sabaijai said is true..also the nine spires are called gao yord, which means nine tips or tops...the pedestal they are floating above is a magic word square, and says 'gu ti gu ya tha saa waetaa saagu' once on the left side, and once mirrored in reverse order on the right side. sometimes the buddha image , called ongk pra in thai, is above an arrow ponting upwards..this represents the straight path to nirvana he is on, due to having become an arhant.this tattoo is normally placed on the nape of the Neck, and later added to with a further 'yiisib yord' or twenty spiresalong the shoulders. the sacred Yant is written using 'Agkara' or Ancient Khmer lettering, but the language is Pali Sanskrit. i have learne for over 3 years under hlwong pi pant at wad bang pra temple in nakorn chaysrii thambon bang gaew fa, nakorn pathom.As a result i have translated the 108 yant into english along with all the corresponding kaataaa, or prayer mantras and how to draw them according to tradition...there is a ###### of a lot to know about this before you can know what you are doing, also many rules of behaviour...

/mods edit commercial links

Edited by Darknight

please help me to get the website known and tell anybody interested, as this is a dying tradition so lets help to keep it alive and kicking.spencer

Dear Spencer.

I respect your interest in such a wierd field of knowledge as tattoos. Despite your site looks very informational, design and navigation are horrible, please do something about it... as well as adds you're trying to push.

and, as ussual, it's a sin to alter ( write scriptures and signs on) the skin, as you might know too. regards.

• 3 weeks later...

bump.

hi, im from america (georgia) but found this forum trying to find out more information about these tattoos. i heard about them through a magazine and became very interested.

i am not buddhist, and only have a barebone-working knowledge of buddhism, but im pretty fascinated by these yak san tattoos. the information provided here is pretty informative. other stuff i read about these tattoos said that the monks who engage in this practice are mostly theravada monks. is this true?

also, can anyone point me towards some literature (or maybe buddhist texts) that these tattoo symbols draw their inspiration from? although i dont plan on converting to buddhism, i would like to understand its tenets.

also, are the monks who tattoo only located in thailand? like, are there temples in cambodia or china where they also give yak san tattoos? for that matter, do any buddhist monks in america do this?

thanks

hey,

what magazine did you read about yak san in?

was it an american magazine?

bump.

hi, im from america (georgia) but found this forum trying to find out more information about these tattoos. i heard about them through a magazine and became very interested.

i am not buddhist, and only have a barebone-working knowledge of buddhism, but im pretty fascinated by these yak san tattoos. the information provided here is pretty informative. other stuff i read about these tattoos said that the monks who engage in this practice are mostly theravada monks. is this true?

also, can anyone point me towards some literature (or maybe buddhist texts) that these tattoo symbols draw their inspiration from? although i dont plan on converting to buddhism, i would like to understand its tenets.

also, are the monks who tattoo only located in thailand? like, are there temples in cambodia or china where they also give yak san tattoos? for that matter, do any buddhist monks in america do this?

thanks

yeah.

i hope this isnt offensive to any buddhists or anything. read about it in fader magazine (a hipster magazine out of NYC).

that was a while ago. then i was reading some stuff about buddhism for a class and the tattoos popped into my head again, which prompted me to search the internet about it.

which is how i got here

well i'm a buddhist and i'm not offended.

actually the photos you saw were taken by a good friend of mine who is also buddhist.

check out spencer's site: www.sakyant.com

it's got some good info on it. as you have already found out it is very hard to find anything in english about this.

feel free to email me if you have any questions although i am just learning about it.

yeah.

i hope this isnt offensive to any buddhists or anything. read about it in fader magazine (a hipster magazine out of NYC).

that was a while ago. then i was reading some stuff about buddhism for a class and the tattoos popped into my head again, which prompted me to search the internet about it.

which is how i got here

so then someone knows what movie i am talking about?? the one with the baby saved and raised by a monk and tattooed etc then goes on to fight drug lord types??

my daughter has been bugging me about these types of tattoos since she got hers done (a dragon creature from the ramakeyan)and since she saw that movie (in thai no subtitles so we had to guess and ask the thai workers to explain as much as they could which wasnt much ) ; now have a new worker who is also covered in tattoos but am not sure if i can ask him to show them to me let alone my 17 yr old daughter since i know that most thai men are very modest and when i show up, they usually cover up if they were shirtless when i arrived (even if wrapped in towel :o ) maybe she can take pics...they are never too forthcoming when we have asked in the past... maybe thinking that we as falangs wouldnt understand or accept what they are talking about; maybe consider impolite for a falang woman to ask???

since these are tattoos for self protection and not for showing off??

so then someone knows what movie i am talking about?? the one with the baby saved and raised by a monk and tattooed etc then goes on to fight drug lord types??

my daughter has been bugging me about these types of tattoos since she got hers done (a dragon creature from the ramakeyan)and since she saw that movie (in thai no subtitles so we had to guess and ask the thai workers  to explain as much as they could which wasnt much ) ; now have a new worker who is also covered in tattoos but am not sure if i can ask him to show them to me let alone my 17 yr old daughter since i know that most thai men are very modest and when i show up, they usually cover up if they were shirtless when i arrived (even if wrapped in towel :o )  maybe she can take pics...they are never too forthcoming when we have asked in the past... maybe thinking that we as falangs wouldnt understand or accept what they are talking about; maybe consider impolite for a falang woman to ask???

since these are tattoos for self protection and not for showing off??

I don't know that movie myself, Bina.

I think it would be OK to respectfully ask to view the tattoos.

hello,

I come from Paris, I am a farang women :D ... I had learned how to know the "sak yan" for 2 years soon. I am accustomed to travelling to Thailand and it is a world very close to me, in the culture and thinking. it is a little my second home.

I learned has to respect the beliefs of the "sak yan". I am attracted for the tatoo ancestral since always. I have to a long time seek mister Nu kamphai, before miss Jolie ( Master-tattoer in Bangkok), I wrote has all the tattoers inhabitant of Thailand to find his adress !!!...it was very hard but I arrived there :D . the "sak yan" starts has to be increasingly popular, I have the impression. after Movie "necromancer" and angelina Jolie...

I must leave to Bangkok in July :D , and I have to phone to Mister Nu Kamphai, but he does not speak English, and I do not speak thai language. I hope that he will be with return. I am afraid of the failure (missing him). he's tattoos the women. it is important since I am one :D ... it is not easy to find an "archan" which accept to tattoo the women, because of the menstruation which eliminates the capacities, according to some believing :D .

What think of a Master who accepts? does tattooing have moin value?

I have to think also much of the offering. in occident, it is not easy to know what I can offer to him. (in addition to the money, of course), can be that you could help me...

if that can also interressed somebody, I found this Web site yesterday evening: sak yant

I hope of it to be worthy

ps: sorry for my english....

re ps: thanks for alll inforation upstairs! it's very precious for someone need help about sak yan, like me few month ago :o

*personal website removed*

Jolie has paid two visits to Pathum Thani tattoo master Noo Kanphai, from what I understand. I recently found this photo of her having five lines of khawm script tattooed to her upper back in 2003.

1.jpg

Jolie has paid two visits to Pathum Thani tattoo master Noo Kanphai, from what I understand. I recently found this photo of her having five lines of khawm script tattooed to her upper back in 2003.

What a shame, disfiguring a beautiful body like that (I assume she didn't use a body double in Tomb Raider). Apparently, she's already had the "Billy Bob" tattoo and others lasered off, but added more. She's going to look like a yakuza's moll when she gets finished.

Although I enjoyed Tomb Raider, the scene where she is wearing a monk-like robe off one shoulder and in the presence of monks really made me cringe. Not to mention the constant waiing between her and the senior monk. Ah... Hollywood.

Edited by camerata

it's not a shame :o

it's just not like all tattoo's. simply different.

(i don't speak about other kind of his tattoos, just only about sak yan by noo kanphai)

it's not an esthetic vision...just understantd that. for you, yes, so i think you can't understand this mystic world.

Many people seem to have tattoos across their upper back/shoulders which look like many triangular spikes, is this some kind of protection sign, can someone explain?  also I have seen circles (is this to show the many ways of Buddhism).

I am not sure whether this subject is exactly Buddhism but I felt if anyone would know then some people in here would.  I am genuinely interested to know, i see so many people with these Tattoos that they must be of some significants.

The nine Spikes in the middle on the nape of his neck, are called Yant Gao Yord ( Nine Spires Yanthra), Yanthra, or Yant, in Thai language, means a geometrical design with magical Powers to protect it's wearer.The Nine Spires are actually Nine Buddhas with Nine sacred "Unaloem" (the squiggly spiral that shoots straight upwards above the Buddhas head. The buddha representation (of three oval shapes , one above the other), is called "Ongk Pra" (Monk Body). The Mantra, or Kaataa, in Thai for this Onk Pra image has it's own particular mantra; Siisa Puttaa Pha Na Chaayathae Ongka Puttaa Pha Na Chaayathae, Phaata Puttaa Pha Na Chaayathae.

(although contained within the general Yant design, it is also a stand alone Yant in itself, and can be tattooed on its own).The Nine Buddhas are located above a four-storied Tiered Box design.The Box design contains Twenty Boxes.There is an arrow pointing upwards to the sky, with the ninth, topmost Buddha above it. This arrow splits the yant into two mirroed halves.Each half contains the same mantra, one forwards, and one backwards. The mantra reads; Gu Ti Gu Ya Tha Saa Wae Taa Saa Gu - Gu Gu Ti Saa Tha Ya Gu Saa Taa Wae. Or even Gu Gu Ti Gu Gu TiYa Tha Saa Saa Tha Ya - Wae Taa Saa Gu Gu Saa Taa Wae. The mantra is composed in Khom (a version of Pali sanskrit in ancient cambodia, conbsidered to be sacred by Buddhist monks in Thailand).The main undertone is Buddhist but the roots of this ancient Craft has recieved influences from many other Folk religions and spirit worshippers, sorcery and Buddhism mixed together. This Craft of sacred Buddhist tattooing is chiefly practised in Thailand and cambodia, but is also to be found on a lesser scale in Burma (Myanmar) and laos. The twenty spires on the shoulders are an extension to increase the protection. Called Jii Sib Yord ( twenty spires).

hope this was of some help.

The Thai word - derived from the Pali-Sanskrit yantra - is pronounced yan or ยัน (no /t/ or /r/ on the end), rhymes with the English 'run', and spelt in Thai ยันตร์. The /r/ and /t/ are silent in the Thai version of this word. So it doesn't really make sense to write 'yant' - or if you want to write the silent letters, then it would be 'yantr' or even 'yantra' but not 'yant'.

I was told by the tattoo artists at Wat Bang Phra that the term kao yawt (เก้ายอด) in this case refers to the nine peaks of Mount Meru (aka Mount Sumeru) in Hindu-Buddhist mythology.

But in case I was misinformed, do you know which nine Buddhas are represented, spencerdharmagrafix?

The nine Spikes in the middle on the nape of his neck, are called Yant Gao Yord ( Nine Spires Yanthra), Yanthra, or Yant, in Thai language, means a geometrical design with magical Powers to protect it's wearer.The Nine Spires are actually Nine Buddhas with Nine sacred "Unaloem" (the squiggly spiral that shoots straight upwards above the Buddhas head. The buddha representation (of three oval shapes , one above the other), is called "Ongk Pra" (Monk Body). The Mantra, or Kaataa, in Thai for this Onk Pra image has it's own particular mantra; Siisa Puttaa Pha Na Chaayathae Ongka Puttaa Pha Na Chaayathae, Phaata Puttaa Pha Na Chaayathae.

(although contained within the general Yant design, it is also a stand alone Yant in itself, and can be tattooed on its own).The Nine Buddhas are located above a four-storied Tiered Box design.The Box design contains Twenty Boxes.There is an arrow pointing upwards to the sky, with the ninth, topmost Buddha above it. This arrow splits the yant into two mirroed halves.Each half contains the same mantra, one forwards, and one backwards. The mantra reads; Gu Ti Gu Ya Tha Saa Wae Taa Saa Gu - Gu Gu Ti Saa Tha Ya Gu Saa Taa Wae. Or even Gu Gu Ti Gu Gu TiYa Tha Saa Saa Tha Ya - Wae Taa Saa Gu Gu Saa Taa Wae. The mantra is composed in Khom (a version of Pali sanskrit in ancient cambodia, conbsidered to be sacred by Buddhist monks in Thailand).The main undertone is Buddhist but the roots of this ancient Craft has recieved influences from many other Folk religions and spirit worshippers, sorcery and Buddhism mixed together. This Craft of sacred Buddhist tattooing is chiefly practised in Thailand and cambodia, but is also to be found on a lesser scale in Burma (Myanmar) and laos. The twenty spires on the shoulders are an extension to increase the protection. Called Jii Sib Yord ( twenty spires).

hope this was of some help.

What a shame, disfiguring a beautiful body like that (I assume she didn't use a body double in Tomb Raider). Apparently, she's already had the "Billy Bob" tattoo and others lasered off, but added more. She's going to look like a yakuza's moll when she gets finished.

Although I enjoyed Tomb Raider, the scene where she is wearing a monk-like robe off one shoulder and in the presence of monks really made me cringe. Not to mention the constant waiing between her and the senior monk. Ah... Hollywood.

The Cambodian government were horrified at the disrespect sown to Ankor Wat and other places, and determined never to let hollywood film there again. This I know from a friend of mine who has secured rights to film a movie at Ankor Wat after meeting with the vice PM (a movie that is respectful to the place).

I was told by the tattoo artists at Wat Bang Phra that the term kao yawt (เก้ายอด) in this case refers to the nine peaks of Mount Meru (aka Mount Sumeru) in Hindu-Buddhist mythology.

But in case I was misinformed, do you know which nine Buddhas are represented, spencerdharmagrafix?

Where does the significance of the number nine originate in Buddhism? I recently visited a temple in the hills between Kyoto and Nara called Joruri-ji which has a row of nine 11th-century wooden sculptures of Amida. According to the temple leaflet, these nine Buddhas represent the nine stages of nirvana.

There are supposed to be 9 layers of heaven in the Sense sphere and you can see these behind the buddha statues in the inner chapel at most temples. They are 9 peaks, with the centre one representing the Tavatingsa heaven, from where the Buddha is descending a staircase of emerald, gold, and silver. He had been in that heaven teaching Abhidhamma to his mother. This is also represented with the 9 layers of umbrella that are often around temples.

• 2 weeks later...
hello,

I come from Paris, I am a farang women  :D ... I had learned how to know the "sak yan" for 2 years soon. I am accustomed to travelling to Thailand and it is a world very close to me, in the culture and thinking. it is a little my second home.

I learned has to respect the beliefs of the "sak yan". I am attracted for the tatoo ancestral since always. I have to a long time seek mister Nu kamphai, before miss Jolie  ( Master-tattoer in Bangkok), I wrote has all the tattoers inhabitant of Thailand  to find his adress !!!...it was very hard but I arrived there :o . the "sak yan" starts has to be increasingly popular, I have the impression. after Movie "necromancer" and angelina Jolie...

May i ask how do we find mister Nu kamphai?