Buddhist Tattoos

zenbangkok

Hi everyone !I'm new to this blog .I dont consider myself a buddhist but it is the only organized religion that makes sense to me and i've always thought it is a beautifull teaching and i love studying it.But i'm not a very disciplined person and although i try to stick to some of the basics because i believe it makes me a better person, i'm far from a practising buddhist. I found some idea what i want buddha-tattoo-19-650x650.jpg

pictures I found in this article http://tattoo-journal.com/60-significant-buddha-tattoo-designs-spiritual-way/ (grate simples budhha tattoo). how do You think it will look good on the arm?

Ok firstly Buddhism isn't a religion, not being narky, but there it is. Secondly get a tattoo because you want it not because of what you think someone else thinks or how it looks. Finally yak sant maybe ok but it can be tricky in parts of Asia and India to have a Buddha image tattooed on your body. It can be seen as disrespectful depending on who is seeing it. Good luck.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm..... i'm a buddhist and i'm not offended.
actually the photos you saw were taken by a good friend of mine who is also buddhist.
it's got some good info on it. as you have already found out it is very hard to find anything in english about this.
feel free to email me if you have any questions although i am just learning about it.

Daftar Bola Euro 2016

http://www.pialaeropa2016.net

Hi everyone !I'm new to this blog .I dont consider myself a buddhist but it is the only organized religion that makes sense to me and i've always thought it is a beautifull teaching and i love studying it.But i'm not a very disciplined person and although i try to stick to some of the basics because i believe it makes me a better person, i'm far from a practising buddhist. I found some idea what i want buddha-tattoo-19-650x650.jpg

pictures I found in this article http://tattoo-journal.com/60-significant-buddha-tattoo-designs-spiritual-way/ (grate simples budhha tattoo). how do You think it will look good on the arm?

Ok firstly Buddhism isn't a religion, not being narky, but there it is. Secondly get a tattoo because you want it not because of what you think someone else thinks or how it looks. Finally yak sant maybe ok but it can be tricky in parts of Asia and India to have a Buddha image tattooed on your body. It can be seen as disrespectful depending on who is seeing it. Good luck.
Yes it's actually illegal in some parts of Asia to have a Buddha tattoo.

Related or not?

Watched a documentary on the telly the other night, the Thai girl knew her stuff, very informed.

post-39258-0-60223400-1463843474_thumb.j

How many have seen this on the back of a car and dont know what it is?

The documentary traced this from Indonesia, back to Thailand, back to Cambodia and finally back to India.

As mentioned the girl knew her stuff, they pulled out different puppets, she recognised and named them all, in differing countries they had different names.

Hi guys there's about 36 pages of this thread and I'm sure the answer to my question is buried in there somewhere. I last had a Nine Peaks or Gao Yod sak Yant at the famous Wat Bang Phra in Nakhon Chaisi. I remember seeing a guy there whose body was literally covered in sak Yant and I was there having my first. I have researched and looked into the sak Yant and I understand and respect the heritage behind them. It's now been almost two years and I was looking to get my next one. What I was wondering is if there was an order as such in which one receives their sak Yant? So if I went to somewhere with a Gao Yod already, what would be the next sak I would receive and where would it be? Thanks guys

It should be whatever yant you require. Period.

• 1 month later...

Buddhist tattoos are good, but it's a thing for the whole life, so you should firstly think carefully before doing one. Buddhism is in the heart, mind and soul, not on the body. But it's just my opinion.
I wanted to ask an off topic question: should I do a 3D tattoo if it's my first tattoo? Here are some examples of what I mean.

https://tattoozza.com/3d-tattoos

• 2 weeks later...

If you get the correct tatoo. You will get a discount with your Thai based accident insurance policy.....But it has to be the correct one. in the correct place.....google it.

Most westerners who have these tattoos aka sakyants do them for fashion reasons as is the reason for most of their tattoos. It just looks "cool", "neat", "insert similar adjective". One example would be angelina jolie who had her sak yant done by ajarn Nu in which she paid millions or a similar large sum of money for him to tattoo that on her. Is jolie a buddhist/believes in thai shamanistic beliefs? Highly unlikely. She like most other westerners had these tattoos done cos they look "pretty". For thais the significance is much more than that. it's just like dreadlocks. To rastas it signifies the similarity to the lion of judah. To non rastas it's just fashion.

• 2 weeks later...

There are certain beliefs for those Buddhist Tattoos but I am not actually aware of those as I've read it somewhere a couple of years ago. According to the article I read but forgot the site, the Buddhist Tattoos signify blessings, wealth, and peace. Also it is a representation of their loyalty to their faith. 

Sak yant I presume is what you are talking about. It is usually carried out by a master at a temple where first a relationship with the master has to be developed. Once he has accepted you into his family he not you will decide what tattoo you will get. It may be for luck, wealth, health or whatever.

Today many of the tattoos you have seen are from the local tattoo shop and apart from the design being traditional they are nothing more than a design and have none of the tradition and meaning of traditional sak yant. Many of the girls are bad girls, you ow, bar girls. They go and get these tattoos as penance for their bad behavior. If you go and get one of these designs at a tattoo shop do not fool yourself that you have a traditional sak yant tattoo with all the meaning it carries. You don't, just a pretty picture. If you want to develop a relationship with a sak yant master and eventually get tattooed by him beware. They make other a new bamboo needle but the bowl of ink they are using is probably not new and has had other peoples bloodied needles dipped into it.

Nothing to do with Buddhism; purely superstition. I wonder what Gautama would have made of it, or even Buddhism in the world/Thailand today. Not much to do with the teachings of the Buddha; more a routine of ritual, ceremony and superstition. Wouldn't tatoos simply be a bodily adornment and an extension of the ego in Gautama's philosophy?

Sak Yant tattoos have been around for over 2000 years. Buddhist lama originally engraved Sak Yant into warriors seeking protection and strength into battle. Often covering entire bodies from head to toe in magic symbols to prevent knives and arrows piercing there skin. These tattoos originated from the Tai in south western China. They become popular in Northern Thailand from there as they become popular in the temples for lama to use these tattoos. Chinese Buddhists also took the practice to Singapore from where it spread through the southern regions. Though you make be correct fundamentally that they didn't originate from Buddhism Sak Yant is after many centuries now entrenched in Thai temple culture (and other countries). Most the lamas I know have these tattoos which they got when they were living in the temples.