Buddhist Tattoos

zenbangkok

anyone know who ajarn noo's ajarn was. i was taking a motorcycle a couple of weeks ago, and noticed the diver was tattooed from head to toe, so i got talking to him and it turns out his ajarn was the student of my ajarn, ajarn kaew. and the name i remember this guy saying was ajarn noo. kind of strange

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i have 2 sak yant from arjan noo (diciple). i can help some guys to have more information.

i recevied blessing and tat's since 3 month. everyone of you should to respect this tradition. this is so important. :D

arjan noo is really popular in south east asia. i stayed long time in that place and it's really interresting to see people come here all the day. lot of people.

i'm really proud if my yant. really because i'm a woman, and i had the honor to recieve a very powerfull yant.

i explain the beginning of my experience in this forum (ancient post)...

good luck for every one, and don't forget this loy: keep respect. :o

bye

anne

apple.canalblog.com

i have since returned from Wat Bang Phra and received my Yant Gao Yord and Jip Sii Yord from Arjan Paew two weeks ago. Must say it is a very nice experience. the temple, the abbot and the monks there are a nice lot.

thanks for Sabaijai for providing tips and info and anyone else who shared their experiences...

• 1 month later...

hello people,

help needed to buy a good book on {sak yant} with lots of pictures and prefer with english.

Anyone have any ideal where or how much a book like this cost? I plan to go bangkok next month, hopefully this book can be my own birthday present....

cheers .............chop dee makmak

I have Ajahn Noo's book and VCD, both are in Thai only. I'd recommend the VCD over the book, lots of visuals, including clips of tattoo clients in trance. The book is quite rough - illustrations don't match the text, for example, and the meanings of some of the tattoos are only sketchily explained. The narrative jumps around a lot, doesn't follow a logical order, from the perspective of Western discourse at least. Nonetheless pretty interesting.

Aj Noo himself rarely does ink tattoos himself these days, leaving it to his four main students in Pathum Thani. Aj Noo has a disciple in Chiang Mai who does similar work, a Hmong who recently left the monkhood after 20+ years as a monk.

I've never seen an English book on sak yan (the /t/ isn't pronounced or written when properly transcribed).

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have been researching Sak Yan's and have decided to have one done but as I have found out I think the monk who tattoos you decides which is good for you and where it should be tattooed.

I would like to get one though in the middle of my back and if I do get to choose I would preffer to get either a tiger, Hanuman or turtle Sak Yan

I am trying to find out the meanings for the Tiger and Turtle Sak Yan's and also any other Sak Yan meanings.

So my question is do you know any meanings of any Sak Yan's?

I have found the following...

Choo-chok tattoo’s print

An old man with a money’s bag on his shoulder, His name is Choo-chok, he is a beggar at first and a millionaire at last. This tattoo’s print is good for your business and everyone who want to get richer.

Hanuman Soong-Rith tattoo’s print (White Magic’s Monkey)

There were many Hanumans’ tattoo-prints from No.1 to No. 10 (Most popular and very special are No.8, No.9 and No.10) In Ramayana Indian tale, Hanuman is immortal, lucky in game and lucky in love. If you want to success for life, protect you from any weapons and luckiest in love, choose it!

Kao-Yod tattoo’s print ( Nava-Horakoon tattoo’s print)

This is a major tattoo’s print and may be a 1st tattoo for a new comer. The meaning of Kao-Yod is explained by 9 magic abilities of The Lord Buddha that show you in 9 lines of tattoo’s print. This tattoo’s print is good for protect you from any weapons.

Rahoo-Om-Jan tattoo’s print (Giant and the moon)

From the phenomenon that silhouette on the moon we call Rahoo-Om-Jan. We believe that Rahoo is a giant’s master and command all of devil. This tattoo’s print will help you live up or change your destiny and against all harmful.

Matchanu (Semi God’s monkey and fish)

Matchanu is a son of Hanuman and Suwan-madcha. (Mermaid) This tattoo’s print is look like Hanuman but you will see his tail like a mermaid. This tattoo’s print is good for fishermen and in every property is same as Hanuman.

Ganesha (Pra-Pikanesha)

Ganesha is a god of wealthy and successes, you can remember him easily with his elephant’s head on god body. He is the god that cleverest and he can bless you to pass all suffixes. This tattoo’s print is good for artists, actors, singers and technicians or who want wealthy.

Erawan Elephant

Erawan Elephant is a god elephant with three faces. He is more powerful and larger than another elephant in heaven. This tattoo’s print is good for the governors who work with workers and good for travelers because it prevent from harmful.

Alligator (Jorakae Tain Kwad)

The symbolic of great Thai Buddhism culture is alligator’s flag (Gatint) If you want to be a conquer and receive a mercy from social, This tattoo’s print is good for achieve, mercy and lucky.

I have also made a thread in general topics which has been going about a day now which has some good info if anyone is interested. Here's the Link

Edited by sabaijai

• 3 months later...

I'm a woman from Seattle who will be in Thailand for three weeks and have several questions about sak yant. Will Wat Bang Pra tattoo women? Do I need an appointment, or do I jsut show up? Is the aftercare the same as a regular tattoo? Ideally I would like the monk decide which design I get and where it will go...is this normal?

I'm a woman from Seattle who will be in Thailand for three weeks and have several questions about sak yant. Will Wat Bang Pra tattoo women? Do I need an appointment, or do I jsut show up? Is the aftercare the same as a regular tattoo? Ideally I would like the monk decide which design I get and where it will go...is this normal?

I suggest you do a search for 'tattoo' in this forum as you will find a fair amount of information, including where to get sak yan.

Yes Wat Bang Phra does tattoo women. If you just show up you risk that no one will be able to do the work, but I'd say if you arrive before 10am, chances are you'd leave with a sak yan before the day is over.

Ideally, yes, you would let the monk(s) decide. At Wat Bang Phra newcomers usually start with the kao yawt (nine peaks, representing the sacred Mt Meru of Hindu-Buddhist cosmology) tattoo across the top of the back, shoulder to shoulder. However I have seen Thai women receive other tattoos (usually invisible, using sesame oil instead of ink) there.

Best thing would be to go and have a chat first, see what's available, who's available, etc.

• 5 months later...

I was born into Buddhism in 1976, but never really practiced. At a certain low point in my life I chose to learn about other religions to make my OWN choice about what I wanted to believe in, and not just be a certain religion because I was born into it.

After several years, several books & the internet, I beleive that Buddhism is the way of life for me and represents the kind of person I want to be. Although I do not know everything there is to know about Buddhism yet, I am making it a goal in my life to learn more and practice more.

For my birthday, I wanted to get a tattoo of Buddhist prayer beads since I've made this huge decision in my life and have made steps into practicing buddhism. I want to get something that shows who I am...that can never be taken away from me. I want to get something that represents what has gotten me through those tough times and what will guide me in the future.

Since I work in a professional industry and have to dress professional at all times...I had to think of a place that couldn't be seen everyday. I was thinking of getting it on my ankle since my ankle is always covered up (I never wear dresses or skirts so this would not be an issue), and if I got it on my wrist, I would always have to wear long sleeve shirts.

Anyways, I started thinking about it..and was worried this might be an inappropriate place to put a buddhist symbol. Most people get them on their backs. I would HATE to disrespect Buddhists in any way!

So, my question today is: 'Would it be disrespectful if I got a tattoo of Buddhist prayer beads on my ankle?'

Please shed some light...

17 visits and no replies? Curious, oh well here goes.

I would not even think to profess myself an expert in these matters but I would have thought anywhere below the waist is definately dodgy ground. The ankle, being almost the lowest point of the body, even more so.

Personally I wold stick with the back, you can't be wrong there BUT I can't recall ever seeing a woman with Buddhist tattoos so you should ask a Buddhist lady for advice.

Thanks for the feedback. That's pretty much the answer I have gotten from everybody. They don't see why it would be 'wrong', but don't suggest it.

All the elder Buddhists that I have asked are more upset at the word 'tattoo' because that translates to 'gang members' or 'prison' to them. So, they can't really give me an honest answer.

I will continue on my search for answers...thanks all!

I don't know much about it but i would not think this would be an apropriate place to get such a tattoo. After all you cant even pass under a washing line if it has womans underwear hanging on it when you are wearing a Buddhist amulate.

Like i say though this is just a pure guess drawn from my observations while living in Buddhist countries and by no means am i saying this is correct.

Good luck to you and i'm sure a well informed member will add some wise words here soon.

buddhist representations should not be used to beautify. if the intentions are wrong, the disrespect is there already, regardless of which part of the body it is on...this does not only refer to tats but also to t-shirt motifs, pendants, etc.

women get tattoos that are 'colourless' that is they do the tatooing but w/o the ink, so not visible to any observers.(saw that here somewhere on a tatoo thread here, sabaijai do u remember maybe); the tattoo is for u, not anyone else to see. not below the waist either.

since I've made this huge decision in my life and have made steps into practicing buddhism. I want to get something that shows who I am...that can never be taken away from me. I want to get something that represents what has gotten me through those tough times and what will guide me in the future
seems the opposite of buddhism actually where things are supposedly impermanent.

buddhist men do tattoos as amulet type things, not as reminders. behaving in the way u believe is the best way to show who u are, and no one can take that away from u either (put me in prison but my thoughts will be free... )

barring that, hae u thought of just aquiring a buddha amulet to wear or hang over your bed or keep in your wallet?? the reminder will be there.

just some thoughts

bina

Thanks bina for your feedback.

I actually wear the meditation beads on my wrist that were bought from a temple, but I do take them off depending on what I am doing (working out, cleaning...something that could scratch/break or ruin them). That's why I was considering getting it tattooed on me..but I thought ankle would be better since I work in a professional workplace.

Thank you all for you replies...they have shed much needed insight!

If you want to do it because you like tattoos, why not, then go for it.

As for the prayer beads being a buddhist symbol I've never really thought of them as so, I know some buddhists use them occasionally, but then so do catholics.

I can understand your desire to somehow cement your commitment to your newfound path, and buddhism doesn't really have something that caters for that the way baptism does for christians.

I'd do it another way, spend some quality time on a few meditation retreats, take a bit of time off when you can and immerse yourself in a buddhist environment for a while, i think that's more meaningful than skin art.

since I've made this huge decision in my life and have made steps into practicing buddhism. I want to get something that shows who I am...that can never be taken away from me. I want to get something that represents what has gotten me through those tough times and what will guide me in the future

seems the opposite of buddhism actually

I agree. No self, no permanence.

• 1 year later...
i have since returned from Wat Bang Phra and received my Yant Gao Yord and Jip Sii Yord from Arjan Paew two weeks ago. Must say it is a very nice experience. the temple, the abbot and the monks there are a nice lot.

thanks for Sabaijai for providing tips and info and anyone else who shared their experiences...

Good move going to Wat Bang Phra as this is an authenic temple tattoo , Ajarn Noo is nothing more than a greedy businessman these days :o

I know that this has been stated, but please before anyone gets a yant, make sure to understand the rules that go with it and be prepared to live with them. It is said that neglecting this, is to invite chaos into your life.

Here's my yant. I'm planning to continue the back next time I am in Thailand.

wrist.jpg

backyanta.jpg

With the yants, Ajarn Anek gave me the amulet below. I went to a shop to have it encased right away.

amuleta.jpg

amuletb.jpg

The process to apply the tattoo was traditional and the work was freehand after making a frame with a regular pen.

stickingit.jpg

Glad to hear it worked out, stone. How much do you donate for your sak yan?

Here is  a pic of my Yant

post-55922-1204501485_thumb.jpg

I received it in October from Wat Bang Phra.  I was staying in BKK at the time and rented a car and driver for the day (1,600 baht).  I arrived at the temple in the morning which is recommended in order to beat the crowds.  Also go on a weekday if you can because it is less crowded than weekends.  When I got there, there were three people being worked on (the monk tattoos one person while the other two people hold the skin taunt for him and then they rotate) and three people waiting (including me).  I purchased the offerings for the monk at the temple (a pack of cigarettes, a flower and pack of inscents, no more that 100 baht, then you have to also put 25 baht in the offering plate).  They have a scroll on the wall with the tattoos they offer, so you can choose.  Though if you are adventurous, you can let the monk choose for you.....The needles they use are soaked in alcohol.  Anyway, while I was waiting for my turn (I was in the next group of three), the monk went to lunch.  After he returned around 1230-100, there were about 12 people waiting.  Everyone was nice.  I thought I would be squeezed out being the only foreigner, but a thai guy helped me.  I had my girlfriend with me, but she went roaming around the temple and didn't get back in time to translate for me BUT luckily she spoke with the thai guy who helped me and explained what I was looking for.

It was VERY painful, but then again, it was my first tattoo.  I'm happy with it.  They don't offer any ointment or gauze or saran wrap so bring your own.  I had my gf put some neosporin on it and some gauze.  It didn't bleed much.

I was tired afterwards for a few weeks.  My gf spoke with the monk at her temple and he said that in a prior life I was a Chinese monk and reached a high spriritual level and that the tattoo I received was not at my level and was draining my energy....very interesting.....but that's another story....